Wiring two sub enclosures to one amp channel w/ speakon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm building a couple Dayton 18" HO sub enclosures, one driver each, and I would like to wire them in parallel to one channel of an amp. The goal is to have a 2 ohm load on one side of the amp with two separate subs and then the same on the other side of the amp for a couple subs in a different room.

My question is regarding the connector that I should use for the IPR2 5000 amp. It appears that the amp will take either of these connectors for the speaker outputs:

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fc-speakon-connector-4-pole-cable-mount--092-050
or
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190

It also appears that each of those connectors takes a max 12AWG wire, but my plan (which might not be the right plan) is to wire two 14AWG wires per terminal (two wires in +1 and two wires in -1 on channel A and two to +2 and -2 on channel B).

1. Will these connectors take two 14AWG wires in one terminal (two wires in +1 and two in -1)?
2. Is there a better way to go about this?

My parallel wiring plan, just confirm it is correct, is as follows:

Would this wiring scheme work or so I need to do something else that does not require fitting two 14AWG wires in one terminal?

3. And I could get an RCA to XLR for the signal in on the amp from my 3312ci receiver, correct? I guess this depends on whether or not I'm using a minidsp or anything else in the chain.

Thanks in advance! - Hugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the IPR2 5000 and iam using 10 gauge wire for my 18's. I have two off each channel and they fit double 10 gauge wire, a little tight so you won't have any problem using 14 gauge wire doubled up.

post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay, good to hear. Thanks for the info!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page