SpeakerPower Amps - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I never stated that it couldn't handle it, I said I didn't think was good idea. I don't know where ltd got that an fp10q puts out over 5000/channel in response to my quote but if so then I retract statement. My understanding is my fp10q-1/channel is putting right around 2000 watts give or take burst per driver and if I can push them to their limits with it then dont see why going higher would be needed. I still have headroom in the amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"I'm using 6.5 cuft and can push them to their limits easily enough with fp10q 220v-1/channel which is much less than 3000 watts."

the manual indicates max of 150 volts per channel and 38 amps peak. that is a lot more than 3000 watts, something like 5700 peak into 3.2 ohms (current limited).

http://labgruppen.com/media/downloads/product/TDS-FP10000Q_V5.pdf

I don't see how its putting out over 21,000 watts through four channels at 4 ohm/ch. but I'll look at link. I understand your formula but just don't believe its doing that even for a mil sec.

Wouldn't you use a different amp number like 16-19amps x 230v and 36-38amps x 120v which would change that watts number by a lot?

Or even your 150v x 38amp
Or 150v x 19amps

Doesn't the amp number get cut in half with 230v and doubled with 120v?
post #33 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

I never stated that it couldn't handle it, I said I didn't think was good idea. I don't know where ltd got that an fp10q puts out over 5000/channel in response to my quote but if so then I retract statement. My understanding is my fp10q-1/channel is putting right around 2000 watts give or take burst per driver and if I can push them to their limits with it then dont see why going higher would be needed. I still have headroom in the amps.

Whats crazy is I can tickle the clip lights on my fp14 clones and my drivers don't bottom out or have any signs of distress. I've been giving them 1 channel of a fp14 clone each for years now without issue. 6 CF boxes. What size boxes did you build? (oops I see 6.5cf) I've tried it with my IRP2, nuke 6000, rmx 5050....ll have clipped before the subs give out. It takes a crazy amount of power to clip the pf14 clones. Same with my 2 Mal-x subs, they will take everything anp amp I own can give in their 6 CF boxes.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #34 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

With music they are fine but I'm talking about down low 5hz-10hz. I get very little distortion with max volume with music which I guess is just the nature of the beast. If listen to music that is hot around the 40hz range I can run out of driver before clipping. Try Too Short Buy You Some from albumn Gettin' It Albumn Number Ten. I use the actual CD for demo as its the loudest track from my CD collection which is quite small. About half way through the song it goes HOT

Another thing that could explain our different results could be actual power the amps are receiving. Idk if that could in any way cause our different results but just thinking out loud. I have an extremely large power meter, cable, wires, etc... And 220v. No idea but get same results across all 8 drivers and all 8 channels. Across the amp channels there is only a deviation of one click +\-
post #35 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

With music they are fine but I'm talking about down low 5hz-10hz. I get very little distortion with max volume with music which I guess is just the nature of the beast. If listen to music that is hot around the 40hz range I can run out of driver before clipping. Try Too Short Buy You Some from albumn Gettin' It Albumn Number Ten. I use the actual CD for demo as its the loudest track from my CD collection which is quite small. About half way through the song it goes HOT

Another thing that could explain our different results could be actual power the amps are receiving. Idk if that could in any way cause our different results but just thinking out loud. I have an extremely large power meter, cable, wires, etc... And 220v. No idea but get same results across all 8 drivers and all 8 channels. Across the amp channels there is only a deviation of one click +\-

Humm I dunno, I've got 4 x fp14 clones 4 x 30A lines and the other 2 on 20A lines but they aren't running anything at this moment. Even at that, they should be putting out more power per channel than the 10Q.
I do love the fact that you are maxing out 8 FTW's LOL

I will try that too short song tonight. You should try out " scary xmas" by hedegaard. I can run that 10dB over reference no problems and its a woofer killer. I would tend to think our room sizes are the main difference

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #36 of 37 Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Humm I dunno, I've got 4 x fp14 clones 4 x 30A lines and the other 2 on 20A lines but they aren't running anything at this moment. Even at that, they should be putting out more power per channel than the 10Q.
I do love the fact that you are maxing out 8 FTW's LOL

I will try that too short song tonight. You should try out " scary xmas" by hedegaard. I can run that 10dB over reference no problems and its a woofer killer. I would tend to think our room sizes are the main difference

Yeah I don't know why you're not able to push them to their limits. I would think the .5cuft difference would be made up by the higher powered 14k but who knows. It could be that my enclosures literally have hardly any vibe/flex (triple baffle and doubled everywhere else) that results in higher efficiency or less loss of wasted energy. Who knows man but I def have more amp than drivers. And when I say they are pushed to distortion with musical and back the volume down a tad, I literally put my ears up to the drivers before sitting at the LP. So even if I kept turning the volume up they could possibly stay at that % of THD and not bottom out. I'm just careful with distortion in general.

Just listened to Scary Christmas in the living room. I like. Will check it out in HT.

That was pretty good but would need to add a filter for that first low sweep that went to I suspect -10hz for comfortable/safe max volume.
post #37 of 37 Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Bump
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page