Alpha Minion vs Fusion Alchemy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel like this has surely been discussed but I've searched a good bit and come up empty handed. Both of these are on the table as my possible next build if I choose to go small, which I think my wife will insist upon. They will be used as mains in a pretty small living room. When we build our house I hope to move them to the rear, but that's a bit into the future. I don't doubt either's ability to get loud enough for me. I'm not as crazy as some of you in that area... yet. I currently have Paul's Amigas and they work rather well for music, but don't really cut the mustard for movies. The vocals are often too quiet and not as clear as I would like, at lest as I use them without a center channel.

From what I have been able to find the Minions have better low end, but I'll be crossing over to a sub so that's not a huge deal to me. Other than that what are the differences? I find the price difference to be pretty significant so I'm trying to decide if the Minions are really worth $55 more each. Thanks for any input.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 12
I have been looking at those two speakers also. It seems that the Alchemy's are 2db more efficient which is good (I have a regular home theater receiver) but the B&C mid driver is lower distortion than the Eminence.

So far no one has definitively stated if the distortion difference is audible.

PS I want to use them to replace Mirage Omnisat's. We watch tv in a open concept type great room, so the room is very large and actually needs larger speakers but my wife would prefer completely invisible speakers.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Either one will likely get louder than most can stand, even in a large living room. Keep in mind, they really should be used with a subwoofer.

I had someone at my house last night that haven't heard these 8" models. They couldn't believe the volume these are capable of and gave me the hand signal to turn them down somewhere around 50 watts of power. biggrin.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yeah, I'm not as fanatical about volume as a lot of the guys here so volume isn't really what I'm looking at. My guess is they both sound excellent and people will tell me I can't go wrong with either. If I can't go wrong for 55 bucks less a speaker then that would be my preference. Plus I've been wanting to build a Jeff B design for a while now. If the Minions truly do have an advantage over the Alchemy though I'd be willing to spend the cheddar.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 690
I'm taking home my newly finished minions today. I will comment on sound quality in my minion build thread. I'm guessing both would be fine.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page