Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #91 of 110 Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I started this thread 5 months ago, but I from the time I sold the first Velo is when I consider the beginning of the build. Buying all the equipment, materials and tools are part of the build and that has been probably close to a year. I'd say i'm about 80% there.........I have a feeling that once I rock the sealed for a while ill go ported.....I should just do it now, but the light is yellow and ive got my foot to the floor......no stopping im committed. i hope to get some time this weekend to do some glueing up, thats all I really have left. I planned on using the glue....clamp.....brad nail method but thats only if my son is awake. Where I have my shop set up is outback, and its against the wall of his room so no running the compressor and popping brads, while he's napping. Thats really the only time I feel I can get anything done, so for now I will probably just use the glue.....clamp......wait method.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Cheering you on as I am about to start some building myself. Can't imagine giving up any of my mountain bikes for a sub, tho, hope you can get back to that when the sub's complete....

post #93 of 110 Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Seek. I hear ya bro. Mines going on a year. So don't fell bad..You'll get there.between work and life.not much free time.
post #94 of 110 Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Cheering you on as I am about to start some building myself. Can't imagine giving up any of my mountain bikes for a sub, tho, hope you can get back to that when the sub's complete....

Yea I was bummed to sell it......but it was just collecting dust in the garage. I had it for 3 months and sold it for a $300 profit though. One day I'll get a new one, I'd like to get a Nomad!

post #95 of 110 Old 04-05-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just looking at the new Nomad 650b, I have an older aluminum Nomad (06) (and converted my 07 Heckler to 650b years ago, kinda weird to see the big push to 650b lately) then there's a few others. I like mountain bikes, now live in a mountain bike heaven called Oakridge (OROR). Did you ride Demo or Cowell or Wilder or campus or? smile.gif I used to live at the other end of the SC mountains in between Russian Ridge and Skeggs.

Remember, some day you'll need to be able to take the kid riding!

post #96 of 110 Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was just looking at the new Nomad 650b, I have an older aluminum Nomad (06) (and converted my 07 Heckler to 650b years ago, kinda weird to see the big push to 650b lately) then there's a few others. I like mountain bikes, now live in a mountain bike heaven called Oakridge (OROR). Did you ride Demo or Cowell or Wilder or campus or? smile.gif I used to live at the other end of the SC mountains in between Russian Ridge and Skeggs.

Yea the Nomads are super sick!! I was looking to get a used one instead of the stumpy, but even one that was like 4 years old and beat up was like $2500-$3000. I paid $1600 for the 2010 stumpy, and sold it 3 months later for $1900. Theres a bike shop in town that has a Demo day at De Laveaga, and I got a chance to take a 2014 carbon Nomad out for a spin.....Man that bike is Badass!! To bad it was $9500 eek.gif The short time I was riding I saw a lot of 2niners on the trail....my buddy ended getting one and likes it. Never heard of Oakridge.......where is it? The 3 months that I had the bike, I went on maybe 10 rides. Most were at De Laveaga, it has a decent single track loop that took about an hour to do. It was nice because I could hop on my bike and be there in like 10 minutes. Never got a chance to ride Demo, but I did ride up the fire trail in Nisene Marks towards Demo. It was a lot up up hill and not riding for years. it kicked my a$$. The plan was to ride to Demo but never made it. I found out that there was a shuttle you could take that dropped you off at the top so you didn't have to ride the 15 miles from Nisene. I bought a groupon for 5 trips to the top for $50 dollars, but sold the bike before I had a chance to do it. I also rode Wilder.......that was a cool ass trail, one minute your in rolling hills.....then you in a oak forest......then in a redwood grove. Really cool views of the Monterey bay. I know where Skeggs is.....i used to ride there back in like 1999. I had a 1998 FSR....for the time that bike was sick too. It was when full suspension bikes started to get really good. To bad it got ripped off! I went all out when i got the bike......put to together a trail pack with everything you can think of......extra tubes, extra master links, park tool with chain break, pump, tire levers, first aid kit yada yada yada. If anything happened to me on the trail I was not going to be the guy pushing it out! Also got a nice pair of Fox riding shorts, a jersey, pimp Giro helmet, Park Toll chain cleaner, etc etc, like I said....I went all out. So now im stuck with like $500 worth of gear that I have no use for. Now that its spring time and people are going to start riding i'll probably put it on craigslist. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the bike.....in the back of my head I knew I wouldnt have time to ride it, but i still bought it. I mean look how long its taking me to build these subs.....and their in my back yard.

I cant wait till i can get my little guy a bike and we can go ride!! The things to look forward to as a father!!

post #97 of 110 Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Yea the Nomads are super sick!! I was looking to get a used one instead of the stumpy, but even one that was like 4 years old and beat up was like $2500-$3000. I paid $1600 for the 2010 stumpy, and sold it 3 months later for $1900. Theres a bike shop in town that has a Demo day at De Laveaga, and I got a chance to take a 2014 carbon Nomad out for a spin.....Man that bike is Badass!! To bad it was $9500 eek.gif The short time I was riding I saw a lot of 2niners on the trail....my buddy ended getting one and likes it. Never heard of Oakridge.......where is it? The 3 months that I had the bike, I went on maybe 10 rides. Most were at De Laveaga, it has a decent single track loop that took about an hour to do. It was nice because I could hop on my bike and be there in like 10 minutes. Never got a chance to ride Demo, but I did ride up the fire trail in Nisene Marks towards Demo. It was a lot up up hill and not riding for years. it kicked my a$$. The plan was to ride to Demo but never made it. I found out that there was a shuttle you could take that dropped you off at the top so you didn't have to ride the 15 miles from Nisene. I bought a groupon for 5 trips to the top for $50 dollars, but sold the bike before I had a chance to do it. I also rode Wilder.......that was a cool ass trail, one minute your in rolling hills.....then you in a oak forest......then in a redwood grove. Really cool views of the Monterey bay. I know where Skeggs is.....i used to ride there back in like 1999. I had a 1998 FSR....for the time that bike was sick too. It was when full suspension bikes started to get really good. To bad it got ripped off! I went all out when i got the bike......put to together a trail pack with everything you can think of......extra tubes, extra master links, park tool with chain break, pump, tire levers, first aid kit yada yada yada. If anything happened to me on the trail I was not going to be the guy pushing it out! Also got a nice pair of Fox riding shorts, a jersey, pimp Giro helmet, Park Toll chain cleaner, etc etc, like I said....I went all out. So now im stuck with like $500 worth of gear that I have no use for. Now that its spring time and people are going to start riding i'll probably put it on craigslist. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the bike.....in the back of my head I knew I wouldnt have time to ride it, but i still bought it. I mean look how long its taking me to build these subs.....and their in my back yard.

I cant wait till i can get my little guy a bike and we can go ride!! The things to look forward to as a father!!

Never heard of Oakridge, OR? eek.gif

Oakridge has the only golf course in this country were you can come close to a hole in one from a 585 yard par 5 hole!!!! Damn coarse is so dry in Summer you think you're Herecules every time you swing a club and hit a ball.............I once came close to hitting a 600 yard drive! lol
post #98 of 110 Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

dw11, I live near the golf course but don't golf altho some day I'll go check it out. Where are you?

Oakridge was subject of a recent article in Bike, not sure if still on the stands now, though. Here's what brought me here originally http://mtbikeoregon.com/ ....now I'm one of the guides.

post #99 of 110 Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah bikes can be an expensive pastime and so are kids, hopefully you can find yourself on a bike again. Talk about expensive, I usually assemble a bike from frame up so I have the ultimate choice in all the details (someday I'll achieve the ultimate diy in bikes, i.e. to build my own frame, though I do build my own wheels that's not quite the same level of diy.....sort of like building a sub cabinet isn't quite the same thing as building the driver).

Keep that gear around!

I've ridden up from Soquel to Demo, definitely a long ride with plenty of climbing. Did you stop and check out the center of the Loma Prieta quake?

post #100 of 110 Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah bikes can be an expensive pastime and so are kids, hopefully you can find yourself on a bike again. Talk about expensive, I usually assemble a bike from frame up so I have the ultimate choice in all the details (someday I'll achieve the ultimate diy in bikes, i.e. to build my own frame, though I do build my own wheels that's not quite the same level of diy.....sort of like building a sub cabinet isn't quite the same thing as building the driver).

Keep that gear around!

I've ridden up from Soquel to Demo, definitely a long ride with plenty of climbing. Did you stop and check out the center of the Loma Prieta quake?

I didn't stop and check out the epicenter, but later my wife and I hiked to it. It was trippy.....seeing huge blocks of earth that like sunk into the gound. I was 10 years old when that quake happened, and I remember it like yesterday. It was definitely a big deal, so it was cool to see where it all went down.

My brother in law asked me today if i wanted to go for a ride, and i had to tell him I sold my bike. He didn't know i sold it, but it made me regret selling it. He got to go on a nice ride and i got to stay home. Well at least I got to work on my subs....................

post #101 of 110 Old 04-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

I keep seeing these same wire frame diagrams on AVS - DIY thread.
What program are you using to illustrate these designs?
post #102 of 110 Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its called "Sketchup" its a free program made by google. Just google Sketchup.....it's pretty easy to use and there is a ton of instructional videos in YouTube.

post #103 of 110 Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

test
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.jpg (217.4 KB, 68 views)
GizzeGutten likes this.

post #104 of 110 Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok I found out how to post pictures with the new format......I have made some progress on this build so I will update soon

post #105 of 110 Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Looks like Erich s new ported flat packs. ??.
Hope to get rolling on my own. Here shortly.
post #106 of 110 Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Ok I found out how to post pictures with the new format......I have made some progress on this build so I will update soon
Well.....it's about time!

BTW, Don't sell the MiniDSP Open! Once I sorted out the issue ie. bad unit and received a new one, it's been stellar! Hope to see more progress on your LMS build....I'm not a "Spring Chicken" ya' know!

Make sure you complete the build before I start collecting Social Security......or need a cane!
post #107 of 110 Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

test
Read through the whole thread here, learned a lot, and will employ your bracing method in my builds. Also, it looks like your subs are almost complete, it'll be interesting to hear what you think of them, since you've had plenty of time to ramp up expectations, and because you've owned DD15 in the past.

I think that the one LMS-U is cleaner sounding and has a better pitch down low than my brother's dual Velodyne DD18 (not the newer + models though). Before I heard the LMS-U, I thought the DD18's were a blast, but after having lived with mine for a short while and hearing the Velodynes again, they sounded distorted, lol.

When do you hope to have them playing?

Do you think I'm going over board by using dual layer 3/4" and triple baffle? Maybe I don't even need bracing, or maybe I should settle for single layer w/ triple baffle and rear + bracing? It won't be recessed, as it must be a real PAIN to get it out if you need to. Also, it looks a little cool and brutal when it's not recessed

That track saw is really tempting, both for efficiency and precision. The first test build I did was not 100 % precise, even when I accounted for the saw blade. It's just hard to get it 100 %. Getting things square can also be a pain when using clamps to put on a guide. Have to measure a ton of times to make sure it's correct, before and after putting on the clamps, but then the vibrations from the saw might get it out of place etc. Ended up having to use the router on some of the panels to even them out, but some were cut too much. Real pain! Got it air tight by cramming in a lot of silicone between all the edges, and clamped those pieces together like a boss.

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD and Mytek 192 Stereo DSD DAC
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Sub: DIY LMS Ultra 5400
post #108 of 110 Old 06-26-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1209 View Post
Looks like Erich s new ported flat packs. ??.
Hope to get rolling on my own. Here shortly.
Actually its a sealed sub designed by me.......not much to design though, I just figured the volume for the 5400, and made up the bracing. Im hope i made the right decision going sealed......so much talk about ported! I'll probably bump the sealed for a while, then make some ported monsters. At least that way I can say I ran both and say which I like better.

I'll be waiting to see your build.....

post #109 of 110 Old 06-26-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Well.....it's about time!

BTW, Don't sell the MiniDSP Open! Once I sorted out the issue ie. bad unit and received a new one, it's been stellar! Hope to see more progress on your LMS build....I'm not a "Spring Chicken" ya' know!

Make sure you complete the build before I start collecting Social Security......or need a cane!
Nice to hear you say your liking the Open.....I was having doubts about it. I was reading its not really made for subs, something about weird things happening at low frequency's. I'll give it a go.......

I'll try to finish before you need SSI, but with your quad UXL's if any thing happens.......they should be able to jump start you and get you back on your feet.

post #110 of 110 Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 PM

looks like that box will be rock solid. good job
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page