Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #91 of 116 Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I started this thread 5 months ago, but I from the time I sold the first Velo is when I consider the beginning of the build. Buying all the equipment, materials and tools are part of the build and that has been probably close to a year. I'd say i'm about 80% there.........I have a feeling that once I rock the sealed for a while ill go ported.....I should just do it now, but the light is yellow and ive got my foot to the floor......no stopping im committed. i hope to get some time this weekend to do some glueing up, thats all I really have left. I planned on using the glue....clamp.....brad nail method but thats only if my son is awake. Where I have my shop set up is outback, and its against the wall of his room so no running the compressor and popping brads, while he's napping. Thats really the only time I feel I can get anything done, so for now I will probably just use the glue.....clamp......wait method.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Cheering you on as I am about to start some building myself. Can't imagine giving up any of my mountain bikes for a sub, tho, hope you can get back to that when the sub's complete....

post #93 of 116 Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Seek. I hear ya bro. Mines going on a year. So don't fell bad..You'll get there.between work and life.not much free time.
post #94 of 116 Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Cheering you on as I am about to start some building myself. Can't imagine giving up any of my mountain bikes for a sub, tho, hope you can get back to that when the sub's complete....

Yea I was bummed to sell it......but it was just collecting dust in the garage. I had it for 3 months and sold it for a $300 profit though. One day I'll get a new one, I'd like to get a Nomad!

post #95 of 116 Old 04-05-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just looking at the new Nomad 650b, I have an older aluminum Nomad (06) (and converted my 07 Heckler to 650b years ago, kinda weird to see the big push to 650b lately) then there's a few others. I like mountain bikes, now live in a mountain bike heaven called Oakridge (OROR). Did you ride Demo or Cowell or Wilder or campus or? smile.gif I used to live at the other end of the SC mountains in between Russian Ridge and Skeggs.

Remember, some day you'll need to be able to take the kid riding!

post #96 of 116 Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was just looking at the new Nomad 650b, I have an older aluminum Nomad (06) (and converted my 07 Heckler to 650b years ago, kinda weird to see the big push to 650b lately) then there's a few others. I like mountain bikes, now live in a mountain bike heaven called Oakridge (OROR). Did you ride Demo or Cowell or Wilder or campus or? smile.gif I used to live at the other end of the SC mountains in between Russian Ridge and Skeggs.

Yea the Nomads are super sick!! I was looking to get a used one instead of the stumpy, but even one that was like 4 years old and beat up was like $2500-$3000. I paid $1600 for the 2010 stumpy, and sold it 3 months later for $1900. Theres a bike shop in town that has a Demo day at De Laveaga, and I got a chance to take a 2014 carbon Nomad out for a spin.....Man that bike is Badass!! To bad it was $9500 eek.gif The short time I was riding I saw a lot of 2niners on the trail....my buddy ended getting one and likes it. Never heard of Oakridge.......where is it? The 3 months that I had the bike, I went on maybe 10 rides. Most were at De Laveaga, it has a decent single track loop that took about an hour to do. It was nice because I could hop on my bike and be there in like 10 minutes. Never got a chance to ride Demo, but I did ride up the fire trail in Nisene Marks towards Demo. It was a lot up up hill and not riding for years. it kicked my a$$. The plan was to ride to Demo but never made it. I found out that there was a shuttle you could take that dropped you off at the top so you didn't have to ride the 15 miles from Nisene. I bought a groupon for 5 trips to the top for $50 dollars, but sold the bike before I had a chance to do it. I also rode Wilder.......that was a cool ass trail, one minute your in rolling hills.....then you in a oak forest......then in a redwood grove. Really cool views of the Monterey bay. I know where Skeggs is.....i used to ride there back in like 1999. I had a 1998 FSR....for the time that bike was sick too. It was when full suspension bikes started to get really good. To bad it got ripped off! I went all out when i got the bike......put to together a trail pack with everything you can think of......extra tubes, extra master links, park tool with chain break, pump, tire levers, first aid kit yada yada yada. If anything happened to me on the trail I was not going to be the guy pushing it out! Also got a nice pair of Fox riding shorts, a jersey, pimp Giro helmet, Park Toll chain cleaner, etc etc, like I said....I went all out. So now im stuck with like $500 worth of gear that I have no use for. Now that its spring time and people are going to start riding i'll probably put it on craigslist. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the bike.....in the back of my head I knew I wouldnt have time to ride it, but i still bought it. I mean look how long its taking me to build these subs.....and their in my back yard.

I cant wait till i can get my little guy a bike and we can go ride!! The things to look forward to as a father!!

post #97 of 116 Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Yea the Nomads are super sick!! I was looking to get a used one instead of the stumpy, but even one that was like 4 years old and beat up was like $2500-$3000. I paid $1600 for the 2010 stumpy, and sold it 3 months later for $1900. Theres a bike shop in town that has a Demo day at De Laveaga, and I got a chance to take a 2014 carbon Nomad out for a spin.....Man that bike is Badass!! To bad it was $9500 eek.gif The short time I was riding I saw a lot of 2niners on the trail....my buddy ended getting one and likes it. Never heard of Oakridge.......where is it? The 3 months that I had the bike, I went on maybe 10 rides. Most were at De Laveaga, it has a decent single track loop that took about an hour to do. It was nice because I could hop on my bike and be there in like 10 minutes. Never got a chance to ride Demo, but I did ride up the fire trail in Nisene Marks towards Demo. It was a lot up up hill and not riding for years. it kicked my a$$. The plan was to ride to Demo but never made it. I found out that there was a shuttle you could take that dropped you off at the top so you didn't have to ride the 15 miles from Nisene. I bought a groupon for 5 trips to the top for $50 dollars, but sold the bike before I had a chance to do it. I also rode Wilder.......that was a cool ass trail, one minute your in rolling hills.....then you in a oak forest......then in a redwood grove. Really cool views of the Monterey bay. I know where Skeggs is.....i used to ride there back in like 1999. I had a 1998 FSR....for the time that bike was sick too. It was when full suspension bikes started to get really good. To bad it got ripped off! I went all out when i got the bike......put to together a trail pack with everything you can think of......extra tubes, extra master links, park tool with chain break, pump, tire levers, first aid kit yada yada yada. If anything happened to me on the trail I was not going to be the guy pushing it out! Also got a nice pair of Fox riding shorts, a jersey, pimp Giro helmet, Park Toll chain cleaner, etc etc, like I said....I went all out. So now im stuck with like $500 worth of gear that I have no use for. Now that its spring time and people are going to start riding i'll probably put it on craigslist. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the bike.....in the back of my head I knew I wouldnt have time to ride it, but i still bought it. I mean look how long its taking me to build these subs.....and their in my back yard.

I cant wait till i can get my little guy a bike and we can go ride!! The things to look forward to as a father!!

Never heard of Oakridge, OR? eek.gif

Oakridge has the only golf course in this country were you can come close to a hole in one from a 585 yard par 5 hole!!!! Damn coarse is so dry in Summer you think you're Herecules every time you swing a club and hit a ball.............I once came close to hitting a 600 yard drive! lol
post #98 of 116 Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

dw11, I live near the golf course but don't golf altho some day I'll go check it out. Where are you?

Oakridge was subject of a recent article in Bike, not sure if still on the stands now, though. Here's what brought me here originally http://mtbikeoregon.com/ ....now I'm one of the guides.

post #99 of 116 Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah bikes can be an expensive pastime and so are kids, hopefully you can find yourself on a bike again. Talk about expensive, I usually assemble a bike from frame up so I have the ultimate choice in all the details (someday I'll achieve the ultimate diy in bikes, i.e. to build my own frame, though I do build my own wheels that's not quite the same level of diy.....sort of like building a sub cabinet isn't quite the same thing as building the driver).

Keep that gear around!

I've ridden up from Soquel to Demo, definitely a long ride with plenty of climbing. Did you stop and check out the center of the Loma Prieta quake?

post #100 of 116 Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah bikes can be an expensive pastime and so are kids, hopefully you can find yourself on a bike again. Talk about expensive, I usually assemble a bike from frame up so I have the ultimate choice in all the details (someday I'll achieve the ultimate diy in bikes, i.e. to build my own frame, though I do build my own wheels that's not quite the same level of diy.....sort of like building a sub cabinet isn't quite the same thing as building the driver).

Keep that gear around!

I've ridden up from Soquel to Demo, definitely a long ride with plenty of climbing. Did you stop and check out the center of the Loma Prieta quake?

I didn't stop and check out the epicenter, but later my wife and I hiked to it. It was trippy.....seeing huge blocks of earth that like sunk into the gound. I was 10 years old when that quake happened, and I remember it like yesterday. It was definitely a big deal, so it was cool to see where it all went down.

My brother in law asked me today if i wanted to go for a ride, and i had to tell him I sold my bike. He didn't know i sold it, but it made me regret selling it. He got to go on a nice ride and i got to stay home. Well at least I got to work on my subs....................

post #101 of 116 Old 04-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

I keep seeing these same wire frame diagrams on AVS - DIY thread.
What program are you using to illustrate these designs?
post #102 of 116 Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its called "Sketchup" its a free program made by google. Just google Sketchup.....it's pretty easy to use and there is a ton of instructional videos in YouTube.

post #103 of 116 Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

test
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.jpg (217.4 KB, 153 views)
GizzeGutten likes this.

post #104 of 116 Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok I found out how to post pictures with the new format......I have made some progress on this build so I will update soon

post #105 of 116 Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Looks like Erich s new ported flat packs. ??.
Hope to get rolling on my own. Here shortly.
post #106 of 116 Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Ok I found out how to post pictures with the new format......I have made some progress on this build so I will update soon
Well.....it's about time!

BTW, Don't sell the MiniDSP Open! Once I sorted out the issue ie. bad unit and received a new one, it's been stellar! Hope to see more progress on your LMS build....I'm not a "Spring Chicken" ya' know!

Make sure you complete the build before I start collecting Social Security......or need a cane!
post #107 of 116 Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

test
Read through the whole thread here, learned a lot, and will employ your bracing method in my builds. Also, it looks like your subs are almost complete, it'll be interesting to hear what you think of them, since you've had plenty of time to ramp up expectations, and because you've owned DD15 in the past.

I think that the one LMS-U is cleaner sounding and has a better pitch down low than my brother's dual Velodyne DD18 (not the newer + models though). Before I heard the LMS-U, I thought the DD18's were a blast, but after having lived with mine for a short while and hearing the Velodynes again, they sounded distorted, lol.

When do you hope to have them playing?

Do you think I'm going over board by using dual layer 3/4" and triple baffle? Maybe I don't even need bracing, or maybe I should settle for single layer w/ triple baffle and rear + bracing? It won't be recessed, as it must be a real PAIN to get it out if you need to. Also, it looks a little cool and brutal when it's not recessed

That track saw is really tempting, both for efficiency and precision. The first test build I did was not 100 % precise, even when I accounted for the saw blade. It's just hard to get it 100 %. Getting things square can also be a pain when using clamps to put on a guide. Have to measure a ton of times to make sure it's correct, before and after putting on the clamps, but then the vibrations from the saw might get it out of place etc. Ended up having to use the router on some of the panels to even them out, but some were cut too much. Real pain! Got it air tight by cramming in a lot of silicone between all the edges, and clamped those pieces together like a boss.

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD and Mytek 192 Stereo DSD DAC
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Sub: DIY LMS Ultra 5400
post #108 of 116 Old 06-26-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1209 View Post
Looks like Erich s new ported flat packs. ??.
Hope to get rolling on my own. Here shortly.
Actually its a sealed sub designed by me.......not much to design though, I just figured the volume for the 5400, and made up the bracing. Im hope i made the right decision going sealed......so much talk about ported! I'll probably bump the sealed for a while, then make some ported monsters. At least that way I can say I ran both and say which I like better.

I'll be waiting to see your build.....

post #109 of 116 Old 06-26-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Well.....it's about time!

BTW, Don't sell the MiniDSP Open! Once I sorted out the issue ie. bad unit and received a new one, it's been stellar! Hope to see more progress on your LMS build....I'm not a "Spring Chicken" ya' know!

Make sure you complete the build before I start collecting Social Security......or need a cane!
Nice to hear you say your liking the Open.....I was having doubts about it. I was reading its not really made for subs, something about weird things happening at low frequency's. I'll give it a go.......

I'll try to finish before you need SSI, but with your quad UXL's if any thing happens.......they should be able to jump start you and get you back on your feet.

post #110 of 116 Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 PM

looks like that box will be rock solid. good job
post #111 of 116 Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its been awhile since my last up date, between throwing out the back and being laid up for 6 weeks, and just life in general, its been hard to get anything done. I have made quite a bit of progress and im almost ready for paint........

It fits!!

Clearances inside the box look good.

Gluing the top on.....

I had a dremel laying around so I thought I would use it to channel the seams out. Im going to fill the channels in with bondo, and the hope is that the seams wont show after paint.

Close up of the channel, I took it down about an 1/8"

The bearing fell off of my flush trim bit, and gouged it pretty good.........bondo will fix that.

Seams with a coat of bondo.

Sprayed some black paint lightly on the box to use as a guide coat. Im going to use a block to get it flat.

Block sanding.....The box in the back round had some real low spots on it. I went a little crazy with the belt sander, it gouged it in some spots. If your not careful with a belt sander it can cause you more work then you wanted. I really didn't even need to use it.

Laying out the speakon plate.

Used the plunge router with a up spiral bit, I purposely doubled up the panels on the back of the box so that I could recess the plate. I think it looks ghetto when people just drill a hole and cram the speakon connector into the back of the box.

Used a 1/4" round over on the corners.

As you can see im getting close to being done. I haven't decided on the finish yet, but for all the work im putting into it, it should go piano black. Ive spent many, many hours block sanding. The problem im having with that is......I have a 15 month old son that I can just see playing cars on top of the subs. So now im thinking of a matte black finish instead. I got a quote to have someone wrap it in automotive vinyl like you see people do with hot rods or super cars. Ive seen some Ferraris with matte black wrap and they look sick!! Any way.....the guy quoted me $15 a square foot.....and each box is 24 square feet......so that adds up to $720 I told him I thought that was way to high, and he dropped it to $10 a foot......thats still $480 So I dont think ill go that route, just strait up to much. I still need to get a quote for matte black paint, just haven't had time. I do have everything i need to spray it myself (HVLP gun, compressor etc etc).....but ive spent way to much time on them as it is, and just want them done. So ill have someone else do it.

All thats really left is to hit it with a orbital sander to get any sand scratches out from the block sanding, and seal the end grain.....MDF seems to soak up tons of primer in the ends. Ive heard of mixing wood glue and water 1:1 and spread it into the end grain, anyone else try this?

Thats all for now........

Oh and by the way.....the new way of posting pictures is plain CRAP!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2030.jpg (88.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1742.jpg (77.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1743.jpg (93.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1744.jpg (130.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1747.jpg (121.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1751.jpg (91.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1752.jpg (92.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1769.jpg (182.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1832.jpg (100.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (197.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.jpg (245.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1925.jpg (229.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1881.jpg (184.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2026.jpg (155.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2024.jpg (159.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2029.jpg (160.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2028.jpg (168.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1834.jpg (99.8 KB, 74 views)
Dank1209 and GizzeGutten like this.

Last edited by SeekingNirvana; 07-12-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: The new picture uploading sucks
post #112 of 116 Old 07-12-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just looked on the mobile version, all but the last picture are squares?! WTF?

Edit: Never mind........I figured it out....I just had to spend an hour editing and re-editing to get it right. Only because its such a easy format to use I feel sorry for the ones that are complete noobs to forums, and computers in general, because this format is jacked up. Huddler was very user friendly, and could be used by anyone.......this format...... Really the only reason why i'm still hanging around is because of this build, once its done i'll probably bone out. Before I would read just about every build in the DIY area, even if it was something I would never do, just because it was fun to be on this forum. Now its not fun.....I'm on my Iphone 5s 99% of the time....and the mobile version has been BROKEN for over 3 weeks! Every thread link I click on.... it takes me to the last post, instead of the last unread post. I have asked, and asked about it in multiple threads that are supposed to be threads to post about problems, but my posts just get glazed over.

Sorry about the rant.....from here on out ill keep the topic on the build........I cant wait to hear these monsters!! I haven't had any subs for along time, and everything I listen to....I think to my self "I wonder what that would sound like with 2 LMS 5400's, with 4000 watts per sub, beatin down the house sound like?"

Last edited by SeekingNirvana; 07-12-2014 at 10:30 PM.
post #113 of 116 Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Wow, you're a really skilled builder, and I love how clean everything looks. Also thought what you did with the seams and the Dremel was very smart. What is the name of the tool you're using on it to route the seams like that?

I intended getting those metal covers for the input terminals from PE too, but forgot to put them in the cart as I bought the second driver...

The Neutrik SpeakON connectors with a cable attached end up building quite a bit (should have gotten angled ones [if they exist], so I'm going to route through both of the rare baffles and put a piece in there which will hold the cable input terminal; that way it will build very little. Might even create a little box inside there to place the input at an angle. OCD ftw!

Quote:
I cant wait to hear these monsters!! I haven't had any subs for along time, and everything I listen to....I think to my self "I wonder what that would sound like with 2 LMS 5400's, with 4000 watts per sub, beatin down the house sound like?"
Hahaha, you've been very patient, and I bet it'll be worth it. Will enjoy reading the post after you have them done and tweaked them with EQ.

Did you enjoy the building process enough to go through with it again if you feel the need for quads? It should be much faster the second time if you can allocate the time to do it. I would have absolutely no problem doing two more, I even got the panels for it, haha. I'll know after a week of having two set up, then they're going straight into the cart and I'll start building them to be ready for when the drivers arrive 6 weeks later.

Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
post #114 of 116 Old 07-15-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizzeGutten View Post
Wow, you're a really skilled builder, and I love how clean everything looks. Also thought what you did with the seams and the Dremel was very smart. What is the name of the tool you're using on it to route the seams like that?

I intended getting those metal covers for the input terminals from PE too, but forgot to put them in the cart as I bought the second driver...

The Neutrik SpeakON connectors with a cable attached end up building quite a bit (should have gotten angled ones [if they exist], so I'm going to route through both of the rare baffles and put a piece in there which will hold the cable input terminal; that way it will build very little. Might even create a little box inside there to place the input at an angle. OCD ftw!

Hahaha, you've been very patient, and I bet it'll be worth it. Will enjoy reading the post after you have them done and tweaked them with EQ.

Did you enjoy the building process enough to go through with it again if you feel the need for quads? It should be much faster the second time if you can allocate the time to do it. I would have absolutely no problem doing two more, I even got the panels for it, haha. I'll know after a week of having two set up, then they're going straight into the cart and I'll start building them to be ready for when the drivers arrive 6 weeks later.
Well the tool is called a "Dremel" it is basically a mini router. The bit I used is just a basic wood bit. I set the depth to 1/8" and clamped on a strait edge. I see to many people have the seems show after paint, so I think this will eliminate that problem.

They in fact do make a right angle SpeakOn.

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4frx-speakon-spx-right-angle-cable-connector-4p--092-192

Yes I did enjoy building them.....it gives me satisfaction to know that I did something that will surpass any thing I could buy commercially. The only gripe is that they took so long, (still not done with them) only being to tinker on them for 20 minutes here and there made kind of a pain. Through out the entire build I only had 2 sessions that were 3+ hours. If I had to do it again.....yea I would. It would be easier considering all the ground work is done.....measurements, design, etc.

Edit: The link didn't work because with the mobile version, I can't open a different tab, and copy a link, then paste it in the tab that I am quoting on. Very lame......

Just go to parts express.....they have them.

Last edited by SeekingNirvana; 07-15-2014 at 11:10 AM.
post #115 of 116 Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 PM

I've got a Dremel, sorry I didn't make myself clear. Was wondering what the name of the accessory you're using to have it set up as a router to route the seams is, as I only find large ones. Don't know how to explain it properly; lack of vocabulary.

Luckily, I have no need for angled SpeakON as it didn't build that much after I routed through the first panel.

Glad to hear you're having fun. It's obvious from your images that this is a work of love. You seem very handy and skilled.

Why not give your subs a try w/o finish first? Haha. I get that you want everything perfect, but giving them a listen might lower your urge to get them done hastily, haha. Personally I think that matte black is cooler than piano black because the latter seems so common nowadays. It used to be reserved for the most expensive and luxurious of things, but nowadays even cheap laptops come in fingerprint loving glossy black finish. I've grown a little tired of glossy things to be honest. Same with blue leds.

How long do you think it will be until you're blasting your ears with bass?

post #116 of 116 Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizzeGutten View Post
I've got a Dremel, sorry I didn't make myself clear. Was wondering what the name of the accessory you're using to have it set up as a router to route the seams is, as I only find large ones. Don't know how to explain it properly; lack of vocabulary.

Luckily, I have no need for angled SpeakON as it didn't build that much after I routed through the first panel.

Glad to hear you're having fun. It's obvious from your images that this is a work of love. You seem very handy and skilled.

Why not give your subs a try w/o finish first? Haha. I get that you want everything perfect, but giving them a listen might lower your urge to get them done hastily, haha. Personally I think that matte black is cooler than piano black because the latter seems so common nowadays. It used to be reserved for the most expensive and luxurious of things, but nowadays even cheap laptops come in fingerprint loving glossy black finish. I've grown a little tired of glossy things to be honest. Same with blue leds.

How long do you think it will be until you're blasting your ears with bass?
Ahh I see.....you want the attachment, sorry misunderstood. It's the "multipurpose cutting kit 565". When I purchased my Dremel, it came with the attachment. It should work with any Dremel, but I'm not positive. As long as you have some threads near the chuck of your Dremel, you should be good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000302YS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406568186&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I used a different bit then what is included in the kit. I'm not sure what it is called, but it was more like a rasp instead of the spiral bit. You can try the one included, it might work fine.

Thank you for the compliments......although I have never built a speaker box, I have built many other things. I've been in the trades for about 13 years. I started in residential doing finish carpentry......trim, hardwood floors (real and pre-manufactured) tile, bath/kitchen remodels etc etc. I did that for about 7 years, so a lot of what I learned carried over into this sub build. For the past 6 years I've been doing commercial stuff, but I'm in management now (superintendent/project manager) I mainly build labs and clean rooms for the semiconductor industry, I work in Silicon Valley.

I thought about listening to them before paint, but I know if I do that I will probably never take the drivers out to paint. Everything is set up out back to do it, so I'll just keep going.....plus WAF wouldn't allow them in the house with out paint.

I hope within a month I'll be beatin my ear drums up. The wife wants to rearrange the living room. Actually I talked her into it.....she likes change, but what she doesn't know is that the way I recommended we do it.....it puts one of the subs right behind the couch for some nearfeild punishment. so with the living room rearrange, running some dedicated lines, hooking the whole system back up, and EQ.....I hope in about a month.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page