9Likes

post #121 of 128 Old 09-10-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Did those one show?

This new format really sucks for posting pictures!! total pain in the a$$ to do, and looks like they don't even show?!

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Did those one show?

This new format really sucks for posting pictures!! total pain in the a$$ to do, and looks like they don't even show?!
I can see em, and they look SWEET!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 128 Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
So far I am super stoked on them!! Way better then the Velodyne Digital Drive subs I had before. I have not put any eq to them an all. All I did was take a RCA to Balanced cord from my AVR to the QSC amps, and ran audyssey. Bumped the trim up 6 db and let er rip. Sounds really good!! Cant wait to get the Mini-Dsp into the chain. Even with the flat audyssey curve they still shake the house, and sitting in front of the near field one puts a huge smile on my face!

Im sure once I get the mini in, I will be even happier, but with just audyssey it makes me want 2 more! The wife would probably divorce me if I told her I was getting 2 more though! For now I will be fine with 2.....

measurements to come...
PROFIT! NirvanaFound?

You are in for a world of joy! They just keep getting better and better the more you tweak with them. Sometimes I just sit shake my head in disbelieve of what these babies can do – it should be impossible.

The joy of getting proper EQ was as big as if not greater than hearing them (w/o EQ) for the first time. They just give and give and give! The only problem is that you can't get enough, and soon there were quads!

Your boxes came out really nice! I'm not the one to criticize on looks but I'd get anodized black screws if I had those beautiful black monsters. That will make them even more glorious!

Also see you've got Emotiva XPA-1 gen 2. Do you hear any difference between class A and AB mode?

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD and Mytek 192 Stereo DSD DAC
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Sub: DIY LMS Ultra 5400
post #124 of 128 Old 09-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Very nice! I sanded and sanded the seams and in between coats of duratex, I still have seams showing. The cabinets look great!
post #125 of 128 Old 09-16-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post
Quote:
Did those one show?

I can see em, and they look SWEET!!
Thanks!
post #126 of 128 Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizzeGutten View Post
Quote:
So far I am super stoked on them!! Way better then the Velodyne Digital Drive subs I had before. I have not put any eq to them an all. All I did was take a RCA to Balanced cord from my AVR to the QSC amps, and ran audyssey. Bumped the trim up 6 db and let er rip. Sounds really good!! Cant wait to get the Mini-Dsp into the chain. Even with the flat audyssey curve they still shake the house, and sitting in front of the near field one puts a huge smile on my face!

Im sure once I get the mini in, I will be even happier, but with just audyssey it makes me want 2 more! The wife would probably divorce me if I told her I was getting 2 more though! For now I will be fine with 2.....

measurements to come...
PROFIT! NirvanaFound?

You are in for a world of joy! They just keep getting better and better the more you tweak with them. Sometimes I just sit shake my head in disbelieve of what these babies can do – it should be impossible.

The joy of getting proper EQ was as big as if not greater than hearing them (w/o EQ) for the first time. They just give and give and give! The only problem is that you can't get enough, and soon there were quads!

Your boxes came out really nice! I'm not the one to criticize on looks but I'd get anodized black screws if I had those beautiful black monsters. That will make them even more glorious!

Also see you've got Emotiva XPA-1 gen 2. Do you hear any difference between class A and AB mode?
I'm for sure one big step closer to nirvana......I think adding some JTR noesis 212's will get me there. Will need to save for a while though.

I can't believe how good they sound, they go deeper, louder, hit harder then the velodyne's ever did! I too sit and shake my head at what they can do. I had a bunch of buddies over for a BBQ, and I put on "Art of flight" at +8.5........after the demo I was trembling! My knees were weak, my heart was pounding in my throat, and my hands were visibly shaking! And I wasn't even in the hot seat (where the near field sub is) the guy who was sitting there didn't stop smiling for 5 minuets. I am soooooo impressed with these subs, and like I said....this was just with a super quick, 1 point audyssey calibration. I can't wait until I can get into the mini.

I've played some songs that I know are demanding, and with it cranked to 11, the subs look like their barley breaking a sweat. I know they have a ton left in the tank, and if I'm floored now......(shaking head) I can't imagine how I'll feel when their dialed in.

With the mini I can have 4 different presets and this is how I think I'll set them up
1) Just a Full Audyssey XT32 calibration, no EQ on the mini, but a 10hz HPF.
2) Full XT32 calibration, then adding a low shelf of 4-6db on the mini, with a 10hz HPF.
3) Full XT32, the adding a LT, to the mini, still with a 10hz HPF.
4) Full XT32, with a LT, but change the HPF to 20-25hz and setting the amp gains just below clipping. By doing this I think I can get the most output from them, but with a high HPF I won't bottom the drivers. This will be my demo preset for music. Most music doesn't go this low so I should be safe. I could be wrong though.

I've spent the last week working on some other things in my system. I had a ground loop hum to fix, and now I'm working on a fan mod for my amps. They are too loud for my room. While music is playing it's not an issue, but when watching tv, or a movie, or at low volumes, they are really annoying. The fans will be in tomorrow, so one step closer to EQ.

With the emotiva amps......I can't really tell the difference between A and AB. Maybe my ears are not trained enough. What I can say though is that at low volumes it sounds just as detailed, (if not more) as it does at moderate volumes. Maybe that's what class A is about? Maybe I can tell a difference, and it is more detail at low volumes. I am very happy with the emotiva amps.

I'll try to get some measurements posted soon.

Oh yea and about the screws......I was so anxious to get them fired up, I just used the stock screws. I totally plan on getting black ones. It looks goofy with the silver ones.
GizzeGutten likes this.

Last edited by SeekingNirvana; 09-16-2014 at 01:37 PM.
post #127 of 128 Old 09-16-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post
Very nice! I sanded and sanded the seams and in between coats of duratex, I still have seams showing. The cabinets look great!
Did you route out a channel like I did? My seams were showing because the bondo was lower then the MDF surface, I sanded them to low.

Thanks for the compliment.
post #128 of 128 Old 09-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm for sure one big step closer to nirvana......I think adding some JTR noesis 212's will get me there. Will need to save for a while though.
Wow, those look sick! They probably pack a hefty punch!

Quote:
I can't believe how good they sound, they go deeper, louder, hit harder then the velodyne's ever did! I too sit and shake my head at what they can do. I had a bunch of buddies over for a BBQ, and I put on "Art of flight" at +8.5........after the demo I was trembling! My knees were weak, my heart was pounding in my throat, and my hands were visibly shaking! And I wasn't even in the hot seat (where the near field sub is) the guy who was sitting there didn't stop smiling for 5 minuets. I am soooooo impressed with these subs, and like I said....this was just with a super quick, 1 point audyssey calibration. I can't wait until I can get into the mini.

I've played some songs that I know are demanding, and with it cranked to 11, the subs look like their barley breaking a sweat. I know they have a ton left in the tank, and if I'm floored now......(shaking head) I can't imagine how I'll feel when their dialed in.
Hahaha, I've read this quote three-four times already and I fully understand how you feel, sweaty hands are guaranteed with these!

When you start boosting the low end and play some bass heavy songs you'll get those cones moving. Try out Avaratz by Infected Mushroom, The Joy of Minimal by DubKing or Warm Swarm by Krumulur for instance. Some of them have very enjoyable bass.

Quote:
With the mini I can have 4 different presets and this is how I think I'll set them up
1) Just a Full Audyssey XT32 calibration, no EQ on the mini, but a 10hz HPF.
2) Full XT32 calibration, then adding a low shelf of 4-6db on the mini, with a 10hz HPF.
3) Full XT32, the adding a LT, to the mini, still with a 10hz HPF.
4) Full XT32, with a LT, but change the HPF to 20-25hz and setting the amp gains just below clipping. By doing this I think I can get the most output from them, but with a high HPF I won't bottom the drivers. This will be my demo preset for music. Most music doesn't go this low so I should be safe. I could be wrong though.
Sounds like a solid plan. I use all four presets on the miniDSP 4x10 HD myself. I'm trying to optimize config 1, 2 and 3 and use 4 for experimentation. 1 should be linear with slight hotness in the lows, 2 is for very hot lows and 3 is going to be for movies. It's a work in progress not that I've built four midbass modules and are working on two new enclosures for a pair of extra ultras.

Quote:
I've spent the last week working on some other things in my system. I had a ground loop hum to fix, and now I'm working on a fan mod for my amps. They are too loud for my room. While music is playing it's not an issue, but when watching tv, or a movie, or at low volumes, they are really annoying. The fans will be in tomorrow, so one step closer to EQ.
Yeah, had to move the FP14k out of the room until I've had it modded. With content that has wide dynamic range the fans are really annoying. The lower you get the noise floor in your room, the better dynamics you'll have at low volumes too. If your noise floor is 50dB at listening position everything below 50dB will be masked by the noise, so the more silent the better.

Quote:
With the emotiva amps......I can't really tell the difference between A and AB. Maybe my ears are not trained enough. What I can say though is that at low volumes it sounds just as detailed, (if not more) as it does at moderate volumes. Maybe that's what class A is about? Maybe I can tell a difference, and it is more detail at low volumes. I am very happy with the emotiva amps.
Yeah, I've got the XPR-1 monoblocks. Those are class AB & H, but they have fantastic SQ too. Was contemplating the XPA-1 vs the XPR's because of class A operation. I've heard class A should be very smooth sounding with no sibilance and good detail retreival. This has been my experience with class A too, but I find the same qualities in the XPR's so IDK.

Let me know if you find proper black screws, please. I had a really hard time finding anything suitable on ebay and it was downright impossible locally.

Glad but not surprised to hear you're having a blast with the Ultras.

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD and Mytek 192 Stereo DSD DAC
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Sub: DIY LMS Ultra 5400
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page