SI 24" Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at building my first (home) sub with this driver. I will most likely make it with a sonotube. Playing with WinISD I have come down to three choices and would like some input. It will be used for 50/50 HT and music and placed in the front corner of the room. The area is roughly 16X16X9, but one "wall" is open to the 20X20X20 great room.

1. Sealed 10 CF bottom firing Sonotube. It looks like it will take almost 5000 watts to get this sub close to xmax at 20 hz. and 118 dB, and about 112 dB at 15 hz.

2. 35 CF Sonotube (32" X 86" or 36" X 65") tuned to 19 hz using a 10" port with a port resonance of 722 hz. With 3500 watts and a 17 hz HPF I can reach 128 dB at 20 hz.

3. 35 CF Sonotube (32" X 86" or 36" X 65") tuned to 15 hz using a 10" port with a port resonance of 347 hz. With 3500 watts and a 14 hz HPF I can reach 125 dB at 20 hz. and 123 db at 15 hz.

Anyone have any input or suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Personally I would go sealed so I could get some of the single digit content on films, but +10dB at the tuning point of a vented box is certainly enticing...

What EQ do you have? And what amp? IIRC Audyssey and others EQ to 115dB on the LFE channel? In which case the extra power of the ported is a bit wasted (although headroom is nice).

But I may be wrong... lol
post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCFlyer View Post

I'm looking at building my first (home) sub with this driver.

Some compelling arguments can be made for a large, low tuned approach. However, being the first sub, I'd pursue a sealed alignment. Sonotube style would be a nice way to get your feet wet into diy subs. It'll be relatively easy, and it will be able to produce impressive SPL numbers.

Quote:

It will be used for 50/50 HT and music and placed in the front corner of the room. The area is roughly 16X16X9, but one "wall" is open to the 20X20X20 great room.

To assure as much post build satisfaction, I'd want as much flexibility with placement as you can muster. I know aesthetics and other logistic considerations of living spaces dictates much with regard to placement, but just be mindful of how impactful proper placement can be. A room absolutely dominates the resultant sound of a subwoofer. Granted, the spot you mentioned may end up being be best, but keep your options open, if possible.

Quote:

Anyone have any input or suggestions?

All the normal caveats; EQ'ing (both to overcome the small subwoofer internal volume, and room/system EQ) and some simple measurement gear, are essential, and not as daunting as many perceive. Unless you're measuring, you're flying blind. Also, the importance of proper blending of your new sub with the mains is essential. You don't want them working against one-another in the critical region in which they overlap.

Some form of bass damping for your room, will provide the icing on the cake. Damping the LF decay time in the room, via bass traps, etc., will both smooth the FR, and subjectively tighten up the bass response, increase bass clarity, definition, and note-to-note delineation in music. Bass trapping is an entire subject unto it's own, but again just be mindful ... the optimization of the system to the room, and the ultimate enjoyment of both movies and music playback, all depends on your ability to identify the problems, and take steps to lessen their significance.

I realize it's way early, however just keep those key elements in mind moving forward. A state of the art subwoofer, poorly blended in a less than optimal environment, can easily be bested by a mediocre sub, that well blended in a well executed acoustic environment.

Good luck, the community here is strong.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 1124
option #3!

since that big room isn't likely to get much in the way of room gain.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I think it's refreshing to see some different designs being tossed around. Seems like almost every build thread is sealed nowadays. But the pendulum is definitely swinging again with more ported/vented subs popping up.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 03:09 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

I think it's refreshing to see some different designs being tossed around. Seems like almost every build thread is sealed nowadays. But the pendulum is definitely swinging again with more ported/vented subs popping up.

The ratio of resonant builds seems to be directly related to the post count of the voracious contributor above you there. wink.gif

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page