AVS Forum banner

Just purchased a new term-lab, Merry HO HO Hz-style!!!!!!!

6K views 108 replies 21 participants last post by  cellarnoise 
#1 ·
After 6 years of contemplating about it, I finally gone and done it!

Now I can finally directly compare my system to any SPL-comp system, and additionally, know that the numbers are precisely accurate within 0.1db, from 10hz and up, to an upper-limit of 183db

Never have to worry about clipping the mic/input again or blaa-blaa-calibrate-blaa-blaa, this is the LAST mic I should ever NEED (or at least, I think it is?
)

(A continuation from yester-year... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461844/anyone-try-a-termlab-yet/ )

See less See more
#3 ·
Well done, Mr. Gosling.

You will of course post up pictures when it arrives.

#4 ·
I'm curious to see what abilities/accuracy it "might" have below 120db compared to my CM-140 (which maxes out at 130db).

The cool thing about the Term-Lab is that it isn't influenced by wind-noise, direct sunlight, rain, heat/cold, shock or high G-forces.

It would be perfect for outdoor use where it is always problematic with windy conditions.

My speculation, is that it will be extremely difficult to break a REAL 125db, at the LP, in a room. (Guess we'll find out soon enough.
)

With correction values applied, my CM-140 says I do 123.5db continuous @ 40hz @ just under clipping; with 8 18's pumping with 27kW (burst-power) of bass.

If the CM-140 is some-what accurate.

That's with quad 99db/watt 18 kick-bins stacked and corner loaded, and quad Ultras on the side-walls; all sealed, cement floor, ~3000cubic feet.

I can't wait to see what REAL numbers my system as a whole can do; especially later in 2014 when I make it even more beefy.

#6 ·
I've been wanting to get a TL to play with for a while. Mainly I want to see whether some of the claims are true and how it reacts under various conditions. My CM-140 was highly inaccurate below 200Hz and measured very low. I would guess that the TL will report substantially higher results than the CM-140.

Where are you located anyway?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci  /t/1505633/just-purchased-a-new-term-lab-merry-ho-ho-hz-style/0_100#post_24085003

I've been wanting to get a TL to play with for a while. Mainly I want to see whether some of the claims are true and how it reacts under various conditions. My CM-140 was highly inaccurate below 200Hz and measured very low. I would guess that the TL will report substantially higher results than the CM-140.

Good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci  /t/1505633/just-purchased-a-new-term-lab-merry-ho-ho-hz-style/0_100#post_24085003

Where are you located anyway?

I live between the NW Cascades & Rockies mountain range, just a few hours drive east from the Pacific ocean.

About 1800 miles north-west of KY

Right over by those blue mountains (thanks streetview
)

I don't want to be more specific than that, otherwise I might get jacked (they'd just look for the loudest house, right?
)

Side-note:

This is why North Koreans will NEVER be able to nuke us, simply because they underestimate the amount of EMPTY flipping space up in this bia, they might get a lot of us, but they won't get us all, even after launching 100 nukes at us randomly or specifically.

Heck, they could drop a hiroshima right where this car was and I'd barely read a 140db in my theater. haha!!!

#10 ·
Well it won't be here tomorrow that's for sure, they flew it in the wrong direction. LOL

Guess there was no connecting flights or whatnot.

Since it's by air it might be here by thursday.

#12 ·
I've been using my term lab for years. I've got the dual sensor version. How do you think I know I can hit 140dB's at 10hz

I actually won it in my 2nd last spl comp in my car days (like 7 years ago lol)

#13 ·
Don't most people find 140db+ painful at all frequencies? I read that somewhere. (Most people, haha
)

So you are basically telling me there is a distinct-possibility I've been severely damaging my hearing for 5-10 years now with 120db(or higher) bass, thinking it was MUCH lower than my meter has been telling me about? YIKES!

Update: They haven't updated the tracking all day (must be a busy time of year
), no idea where it might be, could be just 5 miles away or 1700.

#14 ·
#15 ·
A TL is on my list to buy on down the road as well. Nice present! I don't find 140 to be painful. My old car would do 144.7 with the windows up and the TL on the window. I know that isn't much for the average competitor, but I could maintain that score from 80 down to 30 where it fell off. I have no frame of reference for ~15Hz @ 140db though. I look forward to seeing what all that firepower can do on that mic!

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1505633/just-purchased-a-new-term-lab-merry-ho-ho-hz-style#post_24093162

Don't most people find 140db+ painful at all frequencies? I read that somewhere. (Most people, haha
)

So you are basically telling me there is a distinct-possibility I've been severely damaging my hearing for 5-10 years now with 120db(or higher) bass, thinking it was MUCH lower than my meter has been telling me about? YIKES!

Update: They haven't updated the tracking all day (must be a busy time of year
), no idea where it might be, could be just 5 miles away or 1700.

Not for me. After a while it makes you feel sick for sure but The only pain is to the house lol I find 30hz and up over 130dB gets old quick. My hearing is still top notch. I get it tested all the time at work.

#17 ·
It's looking more and more like Monday; unless a miracle happens in the next 22 hours. Damn, I was looking forward to messing with it this weekend!

#18 ·
No Show. I think aliens abducted my TL, or maybe the entire 747 it was on.

I even checked my mailbox and email to make sure it wasn't my fault.

3 days with no tracker update. At this rate it's looking like tuesday... must be lost in a sea of 300 million Christmas letters and gifts.

#21 ·
It just left Seattle, it should be here tomorrow or the next day.

The thing has been to hell, through hell, and back.

Kimmy tried to fly his planes over here, but 99% ran out of fuel crossing the pacific ocean and drown. The remaining 1% made it to the coast and shot at my term-lab airplane as it happened to be passing through the region, the remainder of their fuel was frozen solid by the -1 million degree windchill-factor, and they crashed right here->

They knew they had to get out of there to survive so they went down and then up the next peak and saw this, at this point they realized it was a futile effort.->

Overheated, tired and hungry they stripped naked and ate each other alive (1993-Alive-style), the last man standing was then abducted by aliens;

the aliens then used my Term-Lab as a probe on him, they then dumped him and my Term-Lab near the outer limits of Seattle, as he reached the first row of houses he was hit in the back of the head by the side of a 9mm that an old grannie was sporting in her handbag.

NOT A SINGLE NUKE WAS DETONATED THAT DAY (Sorry Kimmy
)

and the old lady was kind enough to mail me my Term-Lab the remaining distance.

That's the official story, and I'm sticking to it!

Don't mind me I'm just bored and suffering from cabin fever. That's the latest status update from Overlook Hotel...

#22 ·
LOL.. but then the next day sitting in my theater she all blew!

#23 ·
I installed vmware10 last night, good news. I can finally run my line-out Loop-back RTA software on it, unlike version 8 and older.

Looks like they finally improved the VM sound device drivers.

I haven't been able to get that to work since I upgraded to Windows 7 a few years ago. SWEET!!!! (Takes the guess work out of the equation.)

BTW, the Term-Lab is still not here yet; and it looks like I will have to drive 10 miles to town tomorrow in the snow and ice to go pick it up myself.

You can see the ice forming on my theater from last nights rainfall (and then it froze).

A nice orange sky, but the roads are in VERY BAD conditions right now. ( YAY
)

#26 ·
Here's my Term-Lab score. Meca Park and Pound style (as those rules are the closest DBDrag rules that compare to a Home Audio system's SPL configuration. We don't have no front window
)

6ft away and with 8 18's: Quad LMS-Ultra's and Quad Dayton 18's, powered by a few EP4000's, Crown ITech, Lab Gruppen clone. Not even max volume yet, 11db away from clipping.

Damn, that was LOUD, it hurt my ears! (SWEET!
)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.