Statement Monitor's? Advice for first build? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 12-21-2013, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That looks much better with no dust. How did you keep it from cracking? Is using a wood softener necessary for veneering when ironing?

I have a great idea for my grills. Surprised more DIY's don't do it since many commercial speakers do. I'm going to drill a hole into the MDF baffle. Insert some Neodymium magnets and cover them with veneer. No ugly magnets for the grill....or maybe since they are shiny neodymium magnets I could bury them only halfway in the MDF. Then have the shiny magnets stick out just barely beyond the veneer for looks.Gonna be fun smile.gif and hopefully not addicting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Use a paper backed veneer , contact cement and a good roller. Put sticks underneath and your ready to go. It makes it a lot easier to have a laminate router as well .
post #33 of 41 Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
^^^^ +1.. wax paper works well also. Laminate router! as much as I like to go the veneer route, why don’t I have one??

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #34 of 41 Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I would add some CAD drawings of the Finalists which are much better than what is on the official website. The drawings were made by a user named "tommarra"

Here is the link to the drawings and they are much easier to read
https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=DAEF5DFD3E237085!117&cid=daef5dfd3e237085&app=WordPdf&wdo=2

Here is the original post where I found the CAD drawings. I don't want people to think this is my work.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?41264-Finalist-Cad-Drawing
post #35 of 41 Old 12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos01 View Post

Just thought I would add some CAD drawings of the Finalists which are much better than what is on the official website. The drawings were made by a user named "tommarra"

Here is the link to the drawings and they are much easier to read
https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=DAEF5DFD3E237085!117&cid=daef5dfd3e237085&app=WordPdf&wdo=2

Here is the original post where I found the CAD drawings. I don't want people to think this is my work.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?41264-Finalist-Cad-Drawing

Thanks for posting these. I think this is on my build list for next year. Either will be in my office or put then in my entertainment media room.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #36 of 41 Old 12-22-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ok both the Statement Monitors and Finalists have a the option to have a near/far wall switch for the crossover. I would like to use a push button switch for cosmetics but they are rated at 4A @ 125 VAC, 2A @ 250 VAC. Would this cause a problem?
post #37 of 41 Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Love my monitors also !!!
post #38 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 03:21 AM

Liked: 13
@RickD1225, Sorry for the really late response (Holidays, flu and General Mayhem, lol). I had/ have (in closet) Pinnacle PN8 and Pn6 for 4 channel surround w/ Phantom Center. The pinnacles were modified in that the crossover components were changed out for their better spec'd equivalents (ie. Electrolytics to Poly caps and Mills resistors, etc._. The cabinets were also braced internally and sealed to better blend with a sub (SVS). I eventually pulled the crossover and ran the fronts active with an Ashly crossover, Adcom straightline controller and Adcom amps. Got as much sound out of those drivers as ever was gotten, I reckon, lol.

@Randyc1... Those monitors are spectacular I absolutely love the "boattail" look! They should be AFFECTIONATELY referred to as the Lord Helmets' (Spaceballs reference).

On a much sadder note. During my extended flu, I spent a bunch of time falling asleep to movies on my couch.. which apparently emboldened my cat to stretch out and scratch the drivers of one of my monitors. there are now rips in Mid and Woofer surrounds on one speaker. Parts express still has the correct rs 180 but I can not find the 1337SA only SD... What are the differences and can they be used interchangeably without crossover modification?

As for Leo... My "ex" cat... he's fine.... THIS TIME!rolleyes.gif

I'm getting there....!!!
post #39 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1 View Post

On a much sadder note. During my extended flu, I spent a bunch of time falling asleep to movies on my couch.. which apparently emboldened my cat to stretch out and scratch the drivers of one of my monitors. there are now rips in Mid and Woofer surrounds on one speaker. Parts express still has the correct rs 180 but I can not find the 1337SA only SD... What are the differences and can they be used interchangeably without crossover modification?

You can use the Tang Band W4-1337SD as a replacement. The change from 'SA' to 'SD' was made by Tang Band due to changes in the driver made to meet environment requirements. They claim there is no difference in performance.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #40 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Liked: 13
That's good to hear! I hate the idea of locking him up during the day but it would be that or declawing which I hate more!

I'm getting there....!!!
post #41 of 41 Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for the Monitor compliment Sinistre !
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs