Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #571 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Where to obtain these very affordable diffusers?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
What is the height of your screen jbrown vs the height of the two subs?

A full marty is 4 ft tall so two would be 96"....I think your subs are 79" inch tall. I want to use your setup as a baseline/motivation so want to make sure all the measurements are correct.

I want to select the right marty cube. It's amazing how it will take away 2-3 ft from the length of the room while the smaller SVS subs hardly take a few inches. If I plan to use a Marty, I will have to be ok with just one row vs two.
The outside dimensions for my screen is 112"wide and 66" high. Yes the bottom two subs are 32"wide, 22"deep and 40"high. The top two subs have the same dimensions except they are only 39"high.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #573 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Where to obtain these very affordable diffusers?

Here you go Scott.
http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/A...fuser-DC2.html
Scott Simonian likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #574 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Oh nice! Thank you, sir!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #575 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I asked what guys thought about those diffusers in the DIY thread that was going on about diffusers, the one where Erich was thinking about having some made. But no one would get back to me when I asked the question if guys thought they were a good deal at only $85ea.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #576 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
I asked what guys thought about those diffusers in the DIY thread that was going on about diffusers, the one where Erich was thinking about having some made. But no one would get back to me when I asked the question if guys thought they were a good deal at only $85ea.
I'm no expert on the subject but I can say there are, for sure, better ones out there. But for a price like that? Whew! Pretty good. I've seen worse for more.
jbrown15 likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #577 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Agreed. I have no direct experience with diffusion as i have never found any at a decent price but would certainly be willing to give some a shot. I also would need to start delving into why/when/where to use diffusion over absorption. I know there are good papers out there, just need to read them

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #578 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Agreed. I have no direct experience with diffusion as i have never found any at a decent price but would certainly be willing to give some a shot. I also would need to start delving into why/when/where to use diffusion over absorption. I know there are good papers out there, just need to read them
Yeah I'm also trying to educate myself on the subject.

Also, just like absorption, diffusers have a lowend corner to deal with. How one knows where they want (in frequency) to start diffusion...? I figure I want the mids and highs. Lol pretty general.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #579 of 584 Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 78
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/3...FQkoaQodkE4ABA Not sure how they perform compared to other offerings but they cover a lot of area for cheap and can be easily painted.
post #580 of 584 Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Diffusers are generally used to make the room sound a bit more lively and to sound bigger than what it actually is, at least IMHO. Some folks use them on the first reflection points, which I tried in my old room and preferred my OC703 absorption panels, subjectively as I did not measure. In my personal opinion, the best place for diffusers are on the rear wall and ceiling.

I have a buddy that had a but load of diffusers in his medium sized dedicated theater room, and he loaned me some of them to try out in my setup. In my room, I preferred my absorption panels on the front wall, side walls & ceiling with the diffusers on the rear wall. This seemed to create more envelopment and really shinned on high quality BluRay movies that have a lot of action scenes, like World War Z, and Iron Man 2, however, I do not have any measurements to show you guys as I did not have a mic at the time.

I think diffusers are a great tool, if done right. Many people, myself included, tend to place to much emphasis on absorption and can often times end up with a really dead sounding room, to which if you add some diffusion panels in place of the absorption panels, (I recommend the rear wall), you can really liven up the SQ and have a really nice 3D effect!
post #581 of 584 Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The outside dimensions for my screen is 112"wide and 66" high. Yes the bottom two subs are 32"wide, 22"deep and 40"high. The top two subs have the same dimensions except they are only 39"high.
Finally made it to the end of this awesome thread. Great looking front you have there. Hopefully I can emulate it one day when I can get an AT screen and stage.
Not sure where you are in your screen selection process, but have you thought about a 2.05 screen? It would depend on your watching habits, as that size gives you the most out of the available screen area. If you watch any TV or game at all, you won't have to sacrifice as much surface area as with a scope screen. Downside is you would need 4 way masking. Just a suggestion if you haven't already purchased the screen material.
post #582 of 584 Old Today, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Its obviously WAY more bass then I'll even need but it's fun to build them and I figured the drivers were a good deal so why the hell not.
Plus with everything hidden behind my AT screen/false wall it's not like I have to stare and these massive subs.

I no longer own my XS30's as they had to go to help fund this build. So really I'm only out of pocket about $1300 to build these four monsters, so I figured hell why not...lol

Would you mind a fellow Canadian asking how much it costs to build those beasts?!!! Those are beautiful!! I might have to borrow your thread one day and do the same!
post #583 of 584 Old Today, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post
Would you mind a fellow Canadian asking how much it costs to build those beasts?!!! Those are beautiful!! I might have to borrow your thread one day and do the same!
Not at all, so I was able to get the four UXL-18 drivers from a group buy that was put on and I had them bulk shipped to a local cartage companies holding warehouse so they only ended up costing like $370ea. That was basically a one time price, I don't think I'd ever be able to get them again for that price. Then I bought two iNuke 6000DSP from Sweetwater for $799 for the two of them, after exchange those came out to about $870. Then I have to buy four speakon cables and two RCA to XLR cables from monoprice and four speakon connector plates to wire up the drivers in the cabinets. So all of that was maybe $100, and then all of the wood, glue, screws and brad nails to assemble the cabinets with. So it probably cost me between $3000-$3100 to build all four subs.

Which when you consider the amount of output I have in an insane value!

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #584 of 584 Old Today, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Not at all, so I was able to get the four UXL-18 drivers from a group buy that was put on and I had them bulk shipped to a local cartage companies holding warehouse so they only ended up costing like $370ea. That was basically a one time price, I don't think I'd ever be able to get them again for that price. Then I bought two iNuke 6000DSP from Sweetwater for $799 for the two of them, after exchange those came out to about $870. Then I have to buy four speakon cables and two RCA to XLR cables from monoprice and four speakon connector plates to wire up the drivers in the cabinets. So all of that was maybe $100, and then all of the wood, glue, screws and brad nails to assemble the cabinets with. So it probably cost me between $3000-$3100 to build all four subs.

Which when you consider the amount of output I have in an insane value!
That's amazing value for the performance your getting!!! What about having someone CNC those sheets for you?

Also I noticed that your first 2 boxes seemed to be a solid wood and the last 2 seemed to be MDF, is that correct?

I would love to have your front sound stage, not to mention screen when I am able to build a dedicated theatre room! amazing work you did!! You should be proud!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page