LTD-M18 Sub Build - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 640 Old 03-08-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Hey JB.. I know you're taking it easy on them now burning them in, but have you had a chance to check them out a little since your last comment regarding performance?.. a little driver stretching as they say.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 640 Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,718
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Now you see them!



And now you don't biggrin.gif



I still have two more to build of course. smile.gif

good looking theater that you are putting together there.

the falcon screen was that much better than the xd in your estimation? was it brightness, moire, or something else that made the difference?

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is online now  
post #243 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
I would say that the brightness and lack of any moire is basically identicle. The XD is suppose to be slightly brighter then Falcon's screen material but honestly I can't tell any difference.
The biggest thing that I like about the Falcom screen is the fact that the screen weave disappears sooner.

From roughly 6ft away I can no longer see the screen weave, with the XD material I had to be 9-10ft away before I could no longer see the weave. And of course the screen was a couple hundred less, so it's a win win as far as I'm concerned.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #244 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I would say that the brightness and lack of any moire is basically identicle. The XD is suppose to be slightly brighter then Falcon's screen material but honestly I can't tell any difference.
The biggest thing that I like about the Falcom screen is the fact that the screen weave disappears sooner.

From roughly 6ft away I can no longer see the screen weave, with the XD material I had to be 9-10ft away before I could no longer see the weave. And of course the screen was a couple hundred less, so it's a win win as far as I'm concerned.

 

I concur...........................from 12 ft for me, I could see texture pattern with XD material which was annoying.  If I got closer to more like 8-9 ft it was impossible to focus on screen other than noticing distracting weave pattern. Color shift was an issue for me too......................moire, no...............it was hard to explain.  Stewart microperf material...........................all I can say was crap!  Hard time getting sample................hard time believing an expert word recommend the material...........hard time believing price!  Though..............solid screen was great!

 

As far as brightness.............all weave AT screens have negative gain................don't believe the manufacturer numbers!  Those who place priority  on both audio and video get the benefit of both worlds when going AT...............solid screens are sooooo yesterday!.

doublewing11 is offline  
post #245 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,245
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Looks great!
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #246 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Looking very nice!!! 4 will be insane (but in an awesome way)!

Varibus Mari Victoria
NWCgrad is offline  
post #247 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Honestly two of these subs would be more them enough, but I already have the other two drivers plus the amp and the plywood to build them. So why the hell not right?....lol
jbrown15 is online now  
post #248 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
blah450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
blah450 is offline  
post #249 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Looneybomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 4,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Now you see them!


Have you noticed a difference in "timber" from your center speaker to your L/R's since you significantly increased the baffle width of your center? It should increase your midbass and midrange output.

YID DIY
Looneybomber is offline  
post #250 of 640 Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Have you noticed a difference in "timber" from your center speaker to your L/R's since you significantly increased the baffle width of your center? It should increase your midbass and midrange output.

I don't have any measurements to show any difference at the moment and honestly I can't really hear much difference between the L&R and the center but overall I have noticed what I feel sounds like a little extra mid bass.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #251 of 640 Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
blah450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
blah450 is offline  
post #252 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Been wondering if you are planning on taking some measurements with just the 2 subs and then again when you have the other 2 complete?
Would make a nice comparison for others looking at building something similar.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
post #253 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

Been wondering if you are planning on taking some measurements with just the 2 subs and then again when you have the other 2 complete?
Would make a nice comparison for others looking at building something similar.

Yes I am, I was trying to get my REW up and running last night but was having a few issues. I'm going to try it again today on my other laptop.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #254 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
I definitely need to take some measurements, man these first two subs are monsters! ..lol

I just had a little listening session and decided to turn my master volume knob up to -10 on my AVR, with my SPL meter in hand I was measuring 119dB during hear bass notes eek.gif
As a point of reference when I had my dual PSA XS30 I put on some ear protection and cranked things up to +5 and I was only hitting a 118dB...lol

These UXL-18 drivers are no joke, a 125dB without even turning my volume up past -10 will be no problem at all. I also only have the gains on my amp barely turned up, during heavy bass notes only one clip would come on with the occasional second one coming on. So the amps not even breaking a sweat.

Hopefully I can get my REW stuff sorted soon and start posting some graphs.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #255 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,312
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Add two more and hit 130dbs!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
chalugadp is online now  
post #256 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I definitely need to take some measurements, man these first two subs are monsters! ..lol

I just had a little listening session and decided to turn my master volume knob up to -10 on my AVR, with my SPL meter in hand I was measuring 119dB during hear bass notes eek.gif
As a point of reference when I had my dual PSA XS30 I put on some ear protection and cranked things up to +5 and I was only hitting a 118dB...lol

These UXL-18 drivers are no joke, a 125dB without even turning my volume up past -10 with be no problem at all. I also only have the gains on my amp barely turned up, during heavy bass notes only one clip would come on with the occasional second one coming on. So the amps not even breaking a sweat.

Hopefully I can get my REW stuff sorted soon and start posting some graphs.

I know you had talked about powering them with the inuke 6000DSP per pair but do you think you could have gone with a lesser one since you are already at 125dB?

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
post #257 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,749
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

I know you had talked about powering them with the inuke 6000DSP per pair but do you think you could have gone with a lesser one since you are already at 125dB?


PSHAWWWW> That is silly talk.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #258 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

I know you had talked about powering them with the inuke 6000DSP per pair but do you think you could have gone with a lesser one since you are already at 125dB?

No I would still go with the inuke 6000DSP, I don't think a inuke 3000DSP would be able to driver two UXL-18's with a lot of authority.
steve nn likes this.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #259 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,312
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

I know you had talked about powering them with the inuke 6000DSP per pair but do you think you could have gone with a lesser one since you are already at 125dB?

No I would still go with the inuke 6000DSP, I don't think a inuke 3000DSP would be able to driver two UXL-18's with a lot of authority.

He's right. I am running one uxl18 off of a inuke3000 dsp and its getting all of the power and it needs it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
chalugadp is online now  
post #260 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Only reason I am asking is that I am making a mental shopping list of parts and prices so I know how much cash to leave behind when I go Vegas at the end of the month for a convention. This way I know if I win or lose I will have my cookie jar stash still safe for building and buying my new setup. tongue.gif

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
post #261 of 640 Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,413
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Smart man, gotta leave it behind or it's good as gone. Unless...you get lucky then you could buy bigger amps and more drivers. Lol
gpmbc is online now  
post #262 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,185
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I definitely need to take some measurements, man these first two subs are monsters! ..lol

I just had a little listening session and decided to turn my master volume knob up to -10 on my AVR, with my SPL meter in hand I was measuring 119dB during hear bass notes eek.gif
As a point of reference when I had my dual PSA XS30 I put on some ear protection and cranked things up to +5 and I was only hitting a 118dB...lol

These UXL-18 drivers are no joke, a 125dB without even turning my volume up past -10 will be no problem at all. I also only have the gains on my amp barely turned up, during heavy bass notes only one clip would come on with the occasional second one coming on. So the amps not even breaking a sweat.

Hopefully I can get my REW stuff sorted soon and start posting some graphs.


I am suprised you were only getting 119db out of dual XS30's being Tom tested one to put out 122db avg 40-63hz.
basshead81 is offline  
post #263 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I am suprised you were only getting 119db out of dual XS30's being Tom tested one to put out 122db avg 40-63hz.

I could have gotten more if I pushed them, and I don't run my subs hot at all. It was like the XS30's were running at those volumes but not yet fully sprinting, where the UXL-18's are walking at a slightly brisk pace. These things really are impressive.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #264 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,185
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I could have gotten more if I pushed them, and I don't run my subs hot at all. It was like the XS30's were running at those volumes but not yet fully sprinting, where the UXL-18's are walking at a slightly brisk pace. These things really are impressive.

Nice!! Sounds like 2 is plenty...might as well send the other 2 my way. wink.gif

How much tongue.gif

Did you figure out REW? I did not hear back from you. I can walk ya through it being I am still awake when you pm me lol.
basshead81 is offline  
post #265 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Nice!! Sounds like 2 is plenty...might as well send the other 2 my way. wink.gif

How much tongue.gif

Did you figure out REW? I did not hear back from you. I can walk ya through it being I am still awake when you pm me lol.

No, I'm having a hell of a time to get it even setup. I've read just about everything I can too, so frustrating...lol

I went and uninstalled in from my laptop and then went and got the latest beta version, then I went and downloaded ASIO drivers.

But then when I go into preferences and try to select the output it won't recognize any outputs, it only gives me two choices. It only 1: HD Audio output 1, or 2: HD Audio output 2. It won't show the other 8 channels to calibrate everything with.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #266 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

No, I'm having a hell of a time to get it even setup. I've read just about everything I can too, so frustrating...lol

I went and uninstalled in from my laptop and then went and got the latest beta version, then I went and downloaded ASIO drivers.

But then when I go into preferences and try to select the output it won't recognize any outputs, it only gives me two choices. It only 1: HD Audio output 1, or 2: HD Audio output 2. It won't show the other 8 channels to calibrate everything with.

You are running subs..........big, round 18" diameter drivers.wink.gif

If you are running USB/hdmi then piece of cake..........just be sure to calibrate with spl meter and have ear plugs ready. Can you run 5-200 hz sweeps?

Calibrated mic? Sure helps.......

I run hdmi to front of receiver with no issues...........
doublewing11 is offline  
post #267 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,185
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

You are running subs..........big, round 18" diameter drivers.wink.gif

If you are running USB/hdmi then piece of cake..........just be sure to calibrate with spl meter and have ear plugs ready. Can you run 5-200 hz sweeps?

Calibrated mic? Sure helps.......

I run hdmi to front of receiver with no issues.

Same here...so easy a caveman can do it.
basshead81 is offline  
post #268 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,185
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

No, I'm having a hell of a time to get it even setup. I've read just about everything I can too, so frustrating...lol

I went and uninstalled in from my laptop and then went and got the latest beta version, then I went and downloaded ASIO drivers.

But then when I go into preferences and try to select the output it won't recognize any outputs, it only gives me two choices. It only 1: HD Audio output 1, or 2: HD Audio output 2. It won't show the other 8 channels to calibrate everything with.


I do not remember needing to do that...i just downloaded rew, plugged in my hdmi cable from laptop to avr, calibrated rew to my umm-6 and was up and running. smile.gif
basshead81 is offline  
post #269 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,097
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 990
That's what makes it so friggin frustrating. I bought a UMIK-1 mic from miniDSP, downloaded REW and the PDF how to guide, hooked the mic and then a hdmi cable into the front hdmi on my VSX-21TXH receiver. And it's not working, I'm getting so frustrated mad.gif
jbrown15 is online now  
post #270 of 640 Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,185
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

That's what makes it so friggin frustrating. I bought a UMIK-1 mic from miniDSP, downloaded REW and the PDF how to guide, hooked the mic and then a hdmi cable into the front hdmi on my VSX-21TXH receiver. And it's not working, I'm getting so frustrated mad.gif

So when you turn on a test tone in rew you do not have anything coming out of the speakers? You are not using a MAC book are ya??
basshead81 is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off