ZRT 2 WAY, ZAPH SR71 OR SCAN REDISCOVERY with PE CABINETS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been looking for a simple and easy DIY speaker project that requires a minimal amount of cabinet work. I've done some research based on available pre-finished cabinets from PE. 2 channel listening with dual Rythmik LV12R subs which I've been crossing over anywhere from 80-100 so the low end should pretty well taken care of. Room placement is flexible. Room size 2000 cuft. Dedicated HT with a listening position about 10-11 feet. Amp is a Yamaha RXV2700 with an OPPO 103. Here's what I've come up with to date.

Zaph/Audio ZRT 2 Way in a PE .75cuft (22 Liter) sealed cabinet. The Zaph website indicates that a 20 Liter sealed box will work. $930 Kit

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-zrt-2-way-revelator-tower-parts-only-pair/

Zaph/Audio SR71 2 way in a PE .75cuft cabinet, ported. The plans call for a 14L cabinets but others have had good results with 18L cabs...and I can always reduced the volume if need be. (The baffles are too small on the 14L PE cabinets) $355

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-sr71-kit-pair-parts-only/

Scanspeak Rediscovery 2 way in a .75 cuft cabinets, sealed. Madisound will include what they call a Leap Step XO for the sealed box which is recommended at 20L. Kind of middle of the road in cost; $649

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/scanspeak-rediscovery-loudspeaker-kit-pair/

Cabinets are $250 for a rectangle pair or $300 for a curved pair.... the curved adds a little WAF.. I'm just not in the mood to learn a new hobby by building the cabinets and these fit the bill. The baffle is pretty much correct in terms of width and they have a rounded edge. Only need to have the baffle cut to receive the speakers.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-twc-075ch-075-cu-ft-2-way-curved-speaker-cabinet-cherry--302-733

Any thoughts or advice on which one might be the best option and value.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use the SR71's as my 3 front speakers behind a 120" screen. My friend built 3 also and use uses them as fronts under his screen. We couldn't be happier. For the price they are a steal.

They are very musical and work well for audio listening as well. I have debated making some ZRT's as Zaph says they provide the ultimate in small 2-way performance, but 2.5x the price of the SR71's I've been lacking the motivation.

If you're Ok with the extra money for the ZRT's you'll know that there is not much available in the 2-way space that will sound better at any price,

Scott
post #3 of 10 Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post

I use the SR71's as my 3 front speakers behind a 120" screen. My friend built 3 also and use uses them as fronts under his screen. We couldn't be happier. For the price they are a steal.

They are very musical and work well for audio listening as well. I have debated making some ZRT's as Zaph says they provide the ultimate in small 2-way performance, but 2.5x the price of the SR71's I've been lacking the motivation.

If you're Ok with the extra money for the ZRT's you'll know that there is not much available in the 2-way space that will sound better at any price,

Scott

Thanks for the response.
I've been through a few sets of commercial stuff (ML 12's, old Infinity SL40's) I currently have the Zaph ZA5.3c across the front of my HT. Just finished listening to some of the Eagles ballads with the Rythmik's. If the SR71 or ZRT kits can improve on that I can't imagine how nice that would be. The 5.3's are very clear and fairly dynamic. They struggle with some piano stuff and female vocals can be a bit forward. The midbass impact is a bit thin but when crossed well with my subs (and I'm finding out that is a big key to my satisfaction) they sing pretty well. I can't help thinking I can take it one step further and build something nicer for 2.1 listening, maybe even leaving the 5.3's in place for HT.

I played with my subwoofer locations tonight and finally corner loaded both of them on the screen wall (my only option) and it really opened things up. Its still a work in progress but getting there. The HT stuff is fine as is but I enjoy toying with this stuff to see what's possible.

Not trying to get too technical with this stuff but when you read the Zaph site you think results will suffer badly if you vary the parameters of the box design even the least bit. The only combo I'd wonder about is the SR71's in the 22L ported cabinet. I guess filling it with something solid to reduce the volume would work (if needed). The ZRT in a 20L sealed box appeals to me since its recommended from the zaph site and I won't have to mess with a port in the PE cabinet.

So...hmmm. $600 for the SR71's. $900 for the Rediscovery or $1200 for the ZRT's. (plus some bits and pieces). In the long run the $600 will be long forgotten if I go all out for the ZRT's and I won't have any second thoughts or what ifs. Maybe I can beat this upgraditis that seems to be creeping in. rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Have you given any thought to building the Statements? I would go that route, or bud the ZRT's and never look back wondering....what if!
post #5 of 10 Old 12-19-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Have you given any thought to building the Statements? I would go that route, or bud the ZRT's and never look back wondering....what if!

I"ve looked at the Statements. That's an option but don't they have an open back port? Not sure how I'd manage that with the pre-finished cabinets but the 3 way is really tempting and I think its a 20L cabinet. I'll take a longer look a those. The ZRT's wear winning out in my mind as of last night.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I am not 100% sure on where the port is on the Statements, but you can change the location of the port as long as it is the proper length, and diametor, or, you could build it sealed and loose only a small amount on the low end response.

The original Statement design had an open back mid-range chamber that made the mid-range portion of the speaker a dipole design to increase imaging & sound stage, which is a totally seperate issue than where the port is located, but, you can also build the mid-range chamber sealed up as well. Not a big deal.

I doubt that any of the Parts Express pre-fab cabinets can be used for the Statement design, but, I believe that Jim Hoktz, the designer of the Statements, can recommend you to someone who can make you the baffle & crossover for a fee..
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am not 100% sure on where the port is on the Statements, but you can change the location of the port as long as it is the proper length, and diametor, or, you could build it sealed and loose only a small amount on the low end response.

The original Statement design had an open back mid-range chamber that made the mid-range portion of the speaker a dipole design to increase imaging & sound stage, which is a totally seperate issue than where the port is located, but, you can also build the mid-range chamber sealed up as well. Not a big deal.

I doubt that any of the Parts Express pre-fab cabinets can be used for the Statement design, but, I believe that Jim Hoktz, the designer of the Statements, can recommend you to someone who can make you the baffle & crossover for a fee..

Ok...I didn't realize what the open back was for on the mids. I could skip that. The port is on the back but I'm thinking I would skip the port and add it later if needed. I'll take a closer look. Thanks for the info.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The port on the statements exit out the bottom thru the base. As for the mid-chamber, no you can't just seal it up. Yes it is a big deal. You would have to redo the crossover. It is designed to combine the sound from the front of the mids with the sound wrapping around from the back. That is why you need a minimum of 18 inches behind the Statements to sound right. This is the same for all of the statement series.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherMrEd View Post

The port on the statements exit out the bottom thru the base. As for the mid-chamber, no you can't just seal it up. Yes it is a big deal. You would have to redo the crossover. It is designed to combine the sound from the front of the mids with the sound wrapping around from the back. That is why you need a minimum of 18 inches behind the Statements to sound right. This is the same for all of the statement series.

Scratch the Statements...but they are tempting. The Scanspeak Rediscovery kit seems like a reasonably simple option. Not sure the Aircirc tweeter in the ZRT is worth the extra 3 bills when the Resdiscovery tweeter is, by all accounts, very very good.

When I contacted Madisound about running the Rediscover kit sealed in a 20L cabinet they mention designing a LEAP crossover...now I learn that is a program to design a proper XO. I guess I assumed the same XO that was built for the 38L ported design would work for the 20L sealed design. There's a lot more to this than I imagined.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-26-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

So let me ask this question. If I go with the sealed 20L version of either the Rediscovery Kit or ZRT kit, will the crossovers need to be changed? According to the Zaph site, the kits works with 38L ported or 20L sealed. Madisound is recommending a redesign for the crossover for the sealed version but I see nothing on the Zaph site that indicates it a necessity. Thoughts?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page