• 2 Post By Monkey_Man
  • 2 Post By Scott Simonian

post #1 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Over the past few years I have been slowly building a dedicated theater room. I'm getting to the point where I'm wrapping up trim and starting to paint it. I still need to paint the front wall, pick a color for the room and order carpet. My room will be packed with 8 power recliners, which have been ordered. I currently have an older Klipsch Reference system (RS-3, RC-3, and 4 RS-52ii) and the original SVS PC -Ultra (12") cyclinder sub.

My plan is to ditch the SVS sub for dual Marty boxes outfitted with Mach-5 UXL-18's powered by iNuke6000DSP amp. Many thanks to LDT02, Blah450, for getting me started. My room is about 14.5'x7.8'x18'.

See pics below, just some quick iPhone shots during construction to get an idea of my space. I’ll have a lot of questions when I get to the amp set up but I’ll save that for later (mixing pro-audio with consumer grade HT gear)

Panoramic shot with iPhone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Looks like the beginning of something epic.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Monkey Man, your room looks great! and has very similar dimensions to my room. It's funny I was also going to do a sealed sub build too until talking with LTD02. I've now change my mind to a ported design also after John's suggestion. My build will be a little bigger then yours, but I'm also hiding my behind a false wall/AT screen setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506201/unnamed-sub-build

I was also considering using the SI 18's, one suggestion I would make is to consider sending a little more upfront on the drivers. Take a look at the UXL-18's, I think they're a better more robust driver and would better handle the power of the inuke 6000 amp, which is also the same amp I'm going to use to power mine.
It would take three SI 18's to equal the output of two UXL-18's too.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 988
As someone who has one Marty sub , two should do you just fine , unless your like.carp and run subs 10dbs hot:D
post #5 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Monkey Man, your room looks great! and has very similar dimensions to my room. It's funny I was also going to do a sealed sub build too until talking with LTD02. I've now change my mind to a ported design also after John's suggestion. My build will be a little bigger then yours, but I'm also hiding my behind a false wall/AT screen setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506201/unnamed-sub-build

I was also considering using the SI 18's, one suggestion I would make is to consider sending a little more upfront on the drivers. Take a look at the UXL-18's, I think they're a better more robust driver and would better handle the power of the inuke 6000 amp, which is also the same amp I'm going to use to power mine.
It would take three SI 18's to equal the output of two UXL-18's too.

Nice! Thanks for the sugestion, I'll take a look at that sub. I have a few major errors with my build, one being the terrible idea not to make provisions to build a false wall/AT setup. My stage is deep enough, but the soffit wasn't made to accomdate the false wall. I was too concerned about the front row being too close to the screen.

One issue I didn't mention is with the large sub box it really limits me from increasing my screen size down the road. Right now i'm leaning towards big sound over a larger screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

As someone who has one Marty sub , two should do you just fine , unless your like.carp and run subs 10dbs hot:D

So what does that suggest you're trying to say about me? rolleyes.giftongue.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #7 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Your joining the over the top basshead impress your neighbours club tongue.gif:p:p
post #8 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
that's a nice room that you are putting together.

a quick couple points. here is the max spl in 2pi space of the marty sub vs. sealed for the si 18ht driver (Dayton will be down a db +/-, but more or less identical).

if you aren't shooting for single digits, the ported can offer a lot more spl across a portion of the bass region. each person has to decide if that is a tradeoff worth making. for most folks with one or two subs, it is almost certainly better to go ported if you have the space. if you have 8 or more subs in a home sized room, there may be sufficient spl even without porting to do what you want to do (well, 'not in all cases).

the martysub is just one expression of a largish lowish tuned sub that was designed to be relatively easy to build and extract the most performance from the combination of the low cost drivers (si 18ht/rss460ho) and the inuke amps. there isn't any particularly special about the dimensions, so similar performance can be had by changing dimensions to fit the space. if something a little shorter would be better, that's no problem.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

btw, in your room, pressure vessel gain will kick in starting at about 24hz +/-, so below that you will get a lot of "free bass".

Listen. It's All Good.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LTD02, you're such an asset to this forum, seriously... one of the best! Do you think the standard Marty box stood up will be stable or do you think it would be better to point the port up and mount the woofer front and lower? Seems with a box that large it should be stable enough to stand with the woofer up. I guess I could always strap to the wall for safety. The graph looks pretty telling and powerful smile.gif
jpmst3 and pgwalsh like this.

post #11 of 18 Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post

LTD02, you're such an asset to this forum, seriously... one of the best! smile.gif

This is true. smile.gif
steve nn and blah450 like this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #12 of 18 Old 12-20-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

thanks guys.

"Do you think the standard Marty box stood up will be stable or do you think it would be better to point the port up and mount the woofer front and lower?"

it will be stable. it's got good weight. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

This is true. smile.gif

+1
Quote:
it will be stable. it's got good weight. :-)

oh yeah wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #14 of 18 Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Excellent! I have been considering Jbrown15's recommendation to go with the Mach 5 UXL-18. I searched around and only found a few reviews. Some complaining about voice coil rubbing/noise. Does anyone here have any opinions of the UXL-18? I like the specs but I'm a tad hesitant at this point given the cost.

post #15 of 18 Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

n8dogg has quite a bit of experience with them and reports good things. you might want to ping him.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-21-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Excellent! I have been considering Jbrown15's recommendation to go with the Mach 5 UXL-18. I searched around and only found a few reviews. Some complaining about voice coil rubbing/noise. Does anyone here have any opinions of the UXL-18? I like the specs but I'm a tad hesitant at this point given the cost.

The UXL-18 is an excellent driver. I personally have, and like, the Dayton HO18's, which are also excellent drivers. The UXL-18 is better than the Dayton HO18 and SI18, but at a substantially greater cost. If I had to pick between two HO18's versus one UXL-18, I would choose the HO18's because the benefits of more than one subs far out weigh the increase of performance with regards to the UXL-18.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
That’s a very good point Marty and although I agree with you, in the end I tend to go with the better driver up to a certain point because of adjustability with other applications and oh I suppose just because. Both are good options 1 or 2.. I know you’re not saying they’re not though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #18 of 18 Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

LTD02, you're such an asset to this forum, seriously... one of the best!

So true! Once again, kudos to LTD for his efforts and enthusiasm!smile.gif

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page