The new V-10 Volt ported coax for use as mains? - AVS Forum
DIY Speakers and Subs > The new V-10 Volt ported coax for use as mains?
dtsdig's Avatar dtsdig 07:00 AM 12-23-2013
Now that these have hit DIYSoundGroup, what are the thoughts on using the 8" or 10" models for mains; on stands so that the height is correct?

LTD02's Avatar LTD02 07:26 AM 12-23-2013
they would work just fine.
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 07:33 AM 12-23-2013
winsid is showing a -3db point of around 120hz for the sealed version in a 12" x12" x 12" cab. that seems a little high and a little small. might do a little better than that in room. the ported version will extend lower.
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 09:45 AM 12-23-2013
The 10" can be either sealed or ported and work fine. The 8" should be ported.
raynist's Avatar raynist 12:58 AM 01-19-2014
Erich, do you have a flat pack for the ported 10 inch box?

Also, do you know what the crossover is for the 8 and 10?

Can the compression drivers be upgraded?
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 08:25 AM 01-19-2014
I won't be getting a flat pack for the ported 10 until I know the approximate size most people would want for that model.

Yes, the crossover is completed for the 8 and the 10.

I'm not sure why you would want to upgrade the compression driver. The one that's used can easily keep up with the woofer without breaking a sweat, and it sounds nice and smooth doing it. It's small because it uses neo magnets, but it can handle higher volumes than most people would ever listen to in their house.

They just started shipping out around a week or so ago. Once people build and hear them, you'll see that the compression driver was a good choice.
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 08:27 AM 01-19-2014
Did Matt post measurements anywhere? Just curious.
raynist's Avatar raynist 08:32 AM 01-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I won't be getting a flat pack for the ported 10 until I know the approximate size most people would want for that model.

Yes, the crossover is completed for the 8 and the 10.

I'm not sure why you would want to upgrade the compression driver. The one that's used can easily keep up with the woofer without breaking a sweat, and it sounds nice and smooth doing it. It's small because it uses neo magnets, but it can handle higher volumes than most people would ever listen to in their house.

They just started shipping out around a week or so ago. Once people build and hear them, you'll see that the compression driver was a good choice.

Thanks.

I am looking for cheaper surrounds to use with my JTR 228 LCR's. Do you know what the crossover frequency is for the 8's?

I am currently looking at the V-8's, V-10, and Fusion 8 Alchemy. Would one perform better than the others?
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 08:59 AM 01-19-2014
Crossover point is around 2khz for the V-8. Any of those 3 speakers would be good. Some people like to use coaxials for surrounds though.
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc 10:33 AM 01-19-2014
raynist's Avatar raynist 12:46 PM 01-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Crossover point is around 2khz for the V-8. Any of those 3 speakers would be good. Some people like to use coaxials for surrounds though.

Thanks.

If they would all perform pretty much the same I would probably go with the coaxial 8 as it has better placement flexibility.

I am planning on using one if these designs as surrounds for my JTR 228 LCR's.
Up
Mobile  Desktop