UXL-18 Subwoofer driver Group Buy (is now closed out/over/done/fini) !!!! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1388 Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Want to play that game eh? smile.gif. Well, his site is a .com so I thought it was USD. Well, damn, that's not right as I just looked and it is .ca. But I never typed .com or .ca as I did a search to get to his site. So it is ambiguous and he might sell more to the US market if it was more clear of the actual price. Because $470 would definitely be better than $530. Hell, I'll take 2 now! smile.gif

With market as volitile as is.......especially with exchange rates, would be nice to clarify going rate to exchange goods. Inevitably, exports and other costs such as shipping will probably eat into the favorable exchange rate for USD.

All I know, I modeled the heck out of LMS-U and UXL and made a decision based on the given information. I'm raring to get all four working so I can evaluate THD with my very own ears.....,.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1388 Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

All I know, I modeled the heck out of LMS-U and UXL and made a decision based on the given information. I'm raring to get all four working so I can evaluate THD with my very own ears.....,.....

And I'm raring to get your feedback. smile.gif. Not as much as you I'm sure.

Have you heard an LMS-U to loosely compare? Of course, if I get 1 or 2 UXL-18s, then I'll be able to directly compare.
post #1083 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I'm raring to get your feedback. smile.gif. Not as much as you I'm sure.

Have you heard an LMS-U to loosely compare? Of course, if I get 1 or 2 UXL-18s, then I'll be able to directly compare.

Yes, I've heard a pair of LMS-U's.........exceptionally clean sounding subs. What is amazing about Ultras, they play so clean they don't sound as loud as they really are. I don't expect to run my four at extreme levels so THD expectation is similar to LMS-U sound signature. I just shake my head concerning all these ported designs blowing SPL out of the wazoo. All the power to those who go that route.......I'm looking for clean output that won't drive the system too hard.

Of all the subs I've heard, only a pair of Orbital Shifters played cleaner/louder than a pair of Ultras. If I could have fit a pair of OS's in my room, I would have gone that route...........no can do, toooooo big!
post #1084 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Yes, I've heard a pair of LMS-U's.........exceptionally clean sounding subs. What is amazing about Ultras, they play so clean they don't sound as loud as they really are. I don't expect to run my four at extreme levels so THD expectation is similar to LMS-U sound signature. I just shake my head concerning all these ported designs blowing SPL out of the wazoo. All the power to those who go that route.......I'm looking for clean output that won't drive the system too hard.

Of all the subs I've heard, only a pair of Orbital Shifters played cleaner/louder than a pair of Ultras. If I could have fit a pair of OS's in my room, I would have gone that route...........no can do, toooooo big!

A ported design and high spl don't necessarily mean that you're not getting clean output. Now, If you are talking pushing one single driver, with more power and closer to it's limits, then yes, but that is the case in any alignment. If I put 8 24s in ported enclosures with 3kw on tap for each I am going to reach obscene spl levels while everything is loafing along. Put those same drivers in sealed enclosures and you be hard pressed to tell the difference when operating similar workloads. You even state above that the pair of orbit shifters played cleaner and louder than the Ultras...UXL drivers are higher quality than the Orbit Shifter drivers (personal opinion of course) and you could use whatever amplifiaction you chose. With four UXLs coming, you could smash dual OSs by doing just what you said above...but you shake your head at the ported, high spl designs?? Not trying to be standoffish at all, just trying to help. I myself haven't decided yet if I'm going ported or sealed, but I can assure you that going sealed would have more to do with output in the sub 10hz zone and nothing to do with the ability of the sealed system to play "cleaner"
post #1085 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

A ported design and high spl don't necessarily mean that you're not getting clean output. Now, If you are talking pushing one single driver, with more power and closer to it's limits, then yes, but that is the case in any alignment. If I put 8 24s in ported enclosures with 3kw on tap for each I am going to reach obscene spl levels while everything is loafing along. Put those same drivers in sealed enclosures and you be hard pressed to tell the difference when operating similar workloads. You even state above that the pair of orbit shifters played cleaner and louder than the Ultras...UXL drivers are higher quality than the Orbit Shifter drivers (personal opinion of course) and you could use whatever amplifiaction you chose. With four UXLs coming, you could smash dual OSs by doing just what you said above...but you shake your head at the ported, high spl designs?? Not trying to be standoffish at all, just trying to help. I myself haven't decided yet if I'm going ported or sealed, but I can assure you that going sealed would have more to do with output in the sub 10hz zone and nothing to do with the ability of the sealed system to play "cleaner"

Your comments are appreciated..........we really are thinking along similar lines. Multiples will give me peace of mind I won't be pushing drivers to their limits thus raising THD to double digits. My objectives are to reach single digits with ease along with having dynamic capability ie headroom. My listening habits are no where near what others are comfortable with but I do appreciate dynamic ability of a system.

I tend to be closed minded........in the last year, I would have never considered a horn or ported sub. Hearing an OS opened my mind to what is possible with SPL and low levels of THD. On the other hand, You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I'm good with small cabs, low THD, low extension.........and am willing to give up SPL to meet fore-mentioned characteristics of my sub system.
post #1086 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Your comments are appreciated..........we really are thinking along similar lines. Multiples will give me peace of mind I won't be pushing drivers to their limits thus raising THD to double digits. My objectives are to reach single digits with ease along with having dynamic capability ie headroom. My listening habits are no where near what others are comfortable with but I do appreciate dynamic ability of a system.

I tend to be closed minded........in the last year, I would have never considered a horn or ported sub. Hearing an OS opened my mind to what is possible with SPL and low levels of THD. On the other hand, You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I'm good with small cabs, low THD, low extension.........and am willing to give up SPL to meet fore-mentioned characteristics of my sub system.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm still hesitant on horns myslef, but will probably try a gjallar at some point. I have the intention of doing the same basic thing as you, that's why I ordered 8 of the drivers...an effort to have the cake and eat too biggrin.gif I figure that 8 sealed gives me the output up top, the output that 4 would have had around and just above tune and the ability to go low low low.
post #1087 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:

When I first decided to upgrade my subs and buy four UXL-18's I was going to basically build two of my own versions of the Cap S2's. It was until after talking with LTD-02 about a ported design did I finally decide on going ported. After some back and forth conversation with him and LTD modelling some different designs did I see IMO the advantage of ported.

He showed me a modeled graph and at 20hz the ported had a 9dB advantage or a sealed version with the same drivers and amps. The ported sub also held that advantage all the way down to 12hz, at which point they had the same output and then the ported only gave up 4dB at 10hz. I also had made up my mind that I didn't need to chase big output at single digits.

So far with just two of my large ported cabinets I have to say I'm extremely happy and can't wait to finish the last two. Of course I get what you're saying too Cory but for me having super solid output to 10hz but massive output at 20hz was more along the lines of what I was looking for. smile.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #1088 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

When I first decided to upgrade my subs and buy four UXL-18's I was going to basically build two of my own versions of the Cap S2's. It was until after talking with LTD-02 about a ported design did I finally decide on going ported. After some back and forth conversation with him and LTD modelling some different designs did I see IMO the advantage of ported.

He showed me a modeled graph and at 20hz the ported had a 9dB advantage or a sealed version with the same drivers and amps. The ported sub also held that advantage all the way down to 12hz, at which point they had the same output and then the ported only gave up 4dB at 10hz. I also had made up my mind that I didn't need to chase big output at single digits.

So far with just two of my large ported cabinets I have to say I'm extremely happy and can't wait to finish the last two. Of course I get what you're saying too Cory but for me having super solid output to 10hz but massive output at 20hz was more along the lines of what I was looking for. smile.gif

Ported and small volume is a misnomer................................

Esthetically, there was no way I'm going to fit HUGE subs in my room..................size and looks have been/will be paramount!  Besides.............if I have a clean system that hits 115 db's cleanly over seven seats with +/- 1 db variation...........I'm as happy as a clam at high tide. :cool:

Having a sealed, dampen room does help keeping LF in room and from getting into rest of house.............thus, no reason to reach UNGODLY SPL numbers!  :D

post #1089 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Oh don't be worried it will be ok. Slow maybe but a contractor will get your install without issues as Sony has used mainly contractors anyway. Layoffs won't affect the company from continuing running.

But all that said, a freaking train wreck, wow! Sorry bout bad luck!

I had a fedex live saltwater shipment where the plane literally broke down and had to make emergency landing. All specimens were dead on arrival two days late in summer heat. Got a new shipment the following week but thought it was crazy. Train falling apart is about as crazy. Shipping has its good and bad days like everyone I guess.

Thanks for caring...................so I'm sharing!  ;)

Package arrived Tuesday...............five days late.  Evidently, trains do breakdown.................no train wreck on this package's journey............though it might seem like one!  :eek:

Tech comes to home April 11th.....................we shall see how that goes.  BTW, I'm using the hockey puck to hold down my taxes.............and trying to figure out a way to deduct this worthless paper weight!  ;) 

post #1090 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone want to buy my 2 uxl-18's? I am going to have to let my 2 from the group buy go. If anyone is interested please let me know ASAP. They are ready to ship so you will need full payment. If you are interested please pm me and Mark.
post #1091 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post

Anyone want to buy my 2 uxl-18's? I am going to have to let my 2 from the group buy go. If anyone is interested please let me know ASAP. They are ready to ship so you will need full payment. If you are interested please pm me and Mark.

I'll call dips for them on behalf of Doublewing!...lol

I would send him a PM, I think he was saying that he was considering adding more to the four he'll have.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #1092 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll call dips for them on behalf of Doublewing!...lol

I would send him a PM, I think he was saying that he was considering adding more to the four he'll have.

I'll take them as I only need 2.
post #1093 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:

I'll take them as I only need 2.

If you really want them then please PM Mark (mrogowski) and let me know when payment is sent.
post #1094 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you really want them then please PM Mark (mrogowski) and let me know when payment is sent.

Wait a second!! If they need to be shipped now! Send them to me for crying out loud!

Thanks Jb for sticking up for me! biggrin.gif
post #1095 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Ozzmister.......why not have Mark ship me your two for now which gives you time to settle things. I only have one of four.......which doesn't sit well with me....not your fault
post #1096 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Btw, why are you pulling out? Just being an old lady in tennis shoes....
post #1097 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Btw, why are you pulling out? Just being an old lady in tennis shoes....

Honestly, I lost my job today. So not only do I not need to spend the money for the final payment, I also need my deposit back.
post #1098 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, I lost my job today. So not only do I not need to spend the money for the final payment, I also need my deposit back.

I'm sorry to hear that, that sucks big time!!

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #1099 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure someone will take these off your hands at the group buy price of $410ea shipped.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #1100 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 07:26 PM

In fact I am selling everything in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Panasonic 65vt60
2 Dayton 18HO's in 21" cubes
2 SEOS Tempests
Sherbourn PA 5-200
Yamaha RXA-2000
Darbee Darblet
PS4, with 2 controls, Energizer remote charger, and 2 games
Inuke 6000 with fan mod
APC H15BLK power conditioner
Velodyne SMS-1
post #1101 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I'm sure someone will take these off your hands at the group buy price of $410ea shipped.

Yeah I didn't figure it would be too hard to get someone to buy these at this price.
post #1102 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Liked: 15
Dang, I just ordered at full price yesterday. rolleyes.gif
post #1103 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh..................so, so sorry to hear that...........

You most definitely will be in my prayers................

post #1104 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
Hey, I've been spying the marty flat pack thread and this thread. I would be interested in taking the 2 uxl-18 if it's still available? Sorry to hear about your job, hope you're able to settle things.
post #1105 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koovoodoo View Post

Hey, I've been spying the marty flat pack thread and this thread. I would be interested in taking the 2 uxl-18 if it's still available? Sorry to hear about your job, hope you're able to settle things.

I've already PMd Ozziedog and Mark about picking the pair up. I'm ready to pay as soon as I get a hold of Mark tomorrow.

David
post #1106 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I've already PMd Ozziedog and Mark about picking the pair up. I'm ready to pay as soon as I get a hold of Mark tomorrow.

David

Wow, you're fast! Good luck! I guess, I'll keep spying and reading!
post #1107 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

David

post #1108 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, I love that movie. Once I get my subs all done, I'll watch it again. I'm looking at a whole shelf full of movies to go through when I get my setup done.
post #1109 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, I love that movie. Once I get my subs all done, I'll watch it again. I'm looking at a whole shelf full of movies to go through when I get my setup done.

Good luck......................this Summer, I'll start my end table subs and will reference your build!  By August.........we'll be close to even!  :cool:

post #1110 of 1388 Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good luck......................this Summer, I'll start my end table subs and will reference your build!  By August.........we'll be close to even!  cool.gif

I don't know where I'd put any other subs but come August, we'll have to see where we can escalate our cold war. smile.gif Sounds like you will have an awesome build. Hopefully I'll have a projector this fall and can say my system is done. Hell, who am I kidding, it'll never be DONE! eek.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page