UXL-18 Subwoofer driver Group Buy (is now closed out/over/done/fini) !!!! - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 195
By the way, for the people that said that the UXL-18 would be damaged in a down firing position, jpmst3 and I have both validated with IST that the UXL-18 is fine in a down-firing configuration.

jpmst3's post
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524457/beasts-first-ever-ballin-out-nc-g2g-april-5th/570#post_24618607

Email response from sales@istonline.ca regarding putting the UXL-18 in a down-firing configuration.
Quote:
Yes they can, no problem.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

By the way, for the people that said that the UXL-18 would be damaged in a down firing position, jpmst3 and I have both validated with IST that the UXL-18 is fine in a down-firing configuration.

jpmst3's post
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524457/beasts-first-ever-ballin-out-nc-g2g-april-5th/570#post_24618607

Email response from sales@istonline.ca regarding putting the UXL-18 in a down-firing configuration.

Only one person said that and he didn't say it as a fact, only that he had "heard" that it may get damaged. Every driver ever mad can be used in a down firing enclosure, some will sag after time because of heavy cones and compliant suspensions, I used to have a tumult and it saged almost 15% after 1 year. Thats a ton BTW. there is a formula you can use, although I can't remember what it is, it's been discussed before and the UXL is something like 5%.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #1323 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
N8 is right. Moving mass is "lighter than normal" since the voice coil uses aluminum windings instead of copper and a non-aluminum former. Suspension longevity increases as a result. Still, you can't beat gravity, and everything begins to sag after time (no insult to anyone's wife btw tongue.gif )
Thanks,
Mark

You guys are crazy....
post #1324 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks N8 and Mark. I was just coming back with pertinent information.
post #1325 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Thanks N8 and Mark. I was just coming back with pertinent information.

Certainly. But that leaves the unanswered question about your wife/girlfriend.....

tongue.gif

You guys are crazy....
post #1326 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha. I think I'll let you get away with that one since I just received such great news from you. smile.gif Yeah!!! My second of 2 UXL-18s is in the mail. My wife looked at me crazy when I said I had 2 more subs coming...but she'll thank me when the whole couch vibrates from an explosion. She loved the couch shaking with 2 LMS-5400s, wait until she gets a load of 3 LMS-5400s and 2 UXL-18s powered by 16,000w (2 SpeakerPower SP2-8000 amps). I can't wait.
post #1327 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Bro. You have nothing to worry about; you haven't seen my wife... eek.gif

I kid, I kid...

You guys are crazy....
post #1328 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 271
LOL Mark!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #1329 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski View Post

Bro. You have nothing to worry about; you haven't seen my wife... eek.gif

I kid, I kid...

I may have nothing to worry about but if I get a hold of your wife's email, you certainly will. eek.gif LOL!
post #1330 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 281

Speaking of wives.............my wife is ready to turn 50 and she doesn't look a day over 30!  That woman has good Norwegian genes!  Hubba hubba.....................;)

Throwing out a picture of all four................only two UXL's are hooked up now as I wait for wire from Parts Express for rear two.

Watched the "Desolation of Smaug" last night which has a few episodes of solid LF.................

My listening session was positive compared to the 6 month old JTR S2 I gave up for these four DIY subs.  My measurements with no eq show two UXL's 1-2 db's more output at 10 hz than S2 but clearly outperforms S2 above 55-60 hz.........like 2-3 db's.  Overall, the sound quality was on par or slighly cleaner than S2 but must keep in mind I had UXL's  at 1/4 space compared to 1/2 space for dual driver S2.  Maybe placement is a greater factor than drivers.............yet measurements don't lie..................the UXL's definitely outperformed S2...........but only slightly.  Adding pair in rear will most definitely step up performance.............when Trinnov is implemented next month, I'm sure performance will be even better!  My only problem is finding a way to implement 13 speakers with only 12 input/outputs!  :confused:

So far so good................... I'm extremely finicky on sound quality............

post #1331 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome DW. And congrats on the positive improvement from the S2.

Nice picture of the subs and theater but we'd rather see a picture of the woman making you write "hubba, hubba". biggrin.gif
post #1332 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok got both of my subs working today and they sound awesome. Couple of questions, I am running an output from my Denon x4000 sub 1 and 2 to input channel a and b on my inuke. Then from the inuke I have output from a and b to each sub. All of the speakon connections were terminated +1 and -1. I tried running the inuke as dual mono and sound came from only 1 sub, I then switched it to stereo and both subs worked. Is this the proper setup?
post #1333 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman8 View Post

Ok got both of my subs working today and they sound awesome. Couple of questions, I am running an output from my Denon x4000 sub 1 and 2 to input channel a and b on my inuke. Then from the inuke I have output from a and b to each sub. All of the speakon connections were terminated +1 and -1. I tried running the inuke as dual mono and sound came from only 1 sub, I then switched it to stereo and both subs worked. Is this the proper setup?

yes, you want stereo. now dial in the peq and your set cool.gif
post #1334 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman8 View Post

I agree with chalugadp and that should have you working.

I don't have an iNuke but I think someone posted a similar question last week and they had to use the 2+ and 2- to get the sub to work in mono. Of course, since you have two subs you'd be better off going with the stereo configuration already mentioned.
post #1335 of 1388 Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Speaking of wives.............my wife is ready to turn 50 and she doesn't look a day over 30!  That woman has good Norwegian genes!  Hubba hubba.....................;)

Throwing out a picture of all four................only two UXL's are hooked up now as I wait for wire from Parts Express for rear two.

Watched the "Desolation of Smaug" last night which has a few episodes of solid LF.................

My listening session was positive compared to the 6 month old JTR S2 I gave up for these four DIY subs.  My measurements with no eq show two UXL's 1-2 db's more output at 10 hz than S2 but clearly outperforms S2 above 55-60 hz.........like 2-3 db's.  Overall, the sound quality was on par or slighly cleaner than S2 but must keep in mind I had UXL's  at 1/4 space compared to 1/2 space for dual driver S2.  Maybe placement is a greater factor than drivers.............yet measurements don't lie..................the UXL's definitely outperformed S2...........but only slightly.  Adding pair in rear will most definitely step up performance.............when Trinnov is implemented next month, I'm sure performance will be even better!  My only problem is finding a way to implement 13 speakers with only 12 input/outputs!  :confused:

So far so good................... I'm extremely finicky on sound quality............

Thank you for your post with a direct comparison of your first hand experience between the sealed Captivator S2 and the sealed UXL-18.  I've been saving up for new rear subs for some time to match a Danley DTS-10 and after reading lots of posts on both the AVS  Subwoofers, Bass and Transducers thread and the AVS DIY Speakers and Subs thread had narrowed it down between a passive Captivator from JTR or DIY subs using UXL-18's.

For over 40 years I've bought and sold used audio gear for both myself, friends and clients. I've had numerous speakers rotate through my system, but they have always been manufactured - usually planers, electroststs, ribbons or hybrids. In the 1970's, I salvaged a pair of JBL 3120 crossovers and built two 24 inch Hartley 224 HS Super Woofers into the wall for an infinite baffle to match up with my stacked Quads after hearing the Levinson HQD system at Jonas Miller Sound. But, it never occurred to me to build my own speakers until came across Danley Sound Labs when they were selling their DTS-10 kit.  

AVS members with Seaton, Rythmik, SVS, JTR and PSA manufactured subs are just as passionate about their speakers as AVS members who build DIY subs with LMS-5400''s and UXL-18's. Until now, your the first member I've come across that has experience with both. Business has been slow since the economy collapsed in 2008 and I don't have the disposable income I used to have to funnel into my personal system. $1,500 - $3,500 is a lot of money to invest in new subs and I wanted to make the right choice. DIY is obviously more cost economical, but after all the other effort I've put into accumulating gear over the years, remodeling the theater area with several 20 amp circuits and running metal conduit with Belden 1312 for multiple surround channels, I didn't want to skimp on the new subs.

Based on what you said, it sounds like the UXL-18 DIY route is definitely comparable to JTR for a lot less money.

post #1336 of 1388 Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Still need to build stands for the left and right and purchase the center channel. Also need to learn on how to dial the peq.
post #1337 of 1388 Old 04-25-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post

Thank you for your post with a direct comparison of your first hand experience between the sealed Captivator S2 and the sealed UXL-18.

Based on what you said, it sounds like the UXL-18 DIY route is definitely comparable to JTR for a lot less money.

Now I didn't say for a lot less money...........;)

I thought about purchasing another S2..............but then I jumped on the UM-18 fiasco late November.  After delay after delay..............I gave up and was lucky enough to jump in on the UXL group buy.  I was originally one of the first, but bailed due to UM's!  :rolleyes:

If I hadn't been lucky and found someone wanting to unload their pair of UXL's due to financial issues...............I'd have four LMS-U's and be just as happy as I am now.

When one puts dollar to dollar perspective.....................well, $6600 for a pair of JTR S2's compared to $4600 for four UXL's is fair savings........but I didn't make the change due to saving money, rather to split four cabs at 1/4 space compared to placing duals at 1/2 space.  In my room which has been acoustically designed by professionals................going quads at 1/4 has made a HUGE difference regarding FR from seat to seat.  I'm finding performance wise, overall the UXL's are slightly bettering the JTR S2..........................and IMHO, they sound smoother with less distortion..........but then again, I might be hearing a difference due to placement.  ;)

post #1338 of 1388 Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Now I didn't say for a lot less money...........wink.gif

I thought about purchasing another S2..............but then I jumped on the UM-18 fiasco late November.  After delay after delay..............I gave up and was lucky enough to jump in on the UXL group buy.  I was originally one of the first, but bailed due to UM's!  rolleyes.gif

If I hadn't been lucky and found someone wanting to unload their pair of UXL's due to financial issues...............I'd have four LMS-U's and be just as happy as I am now.

When one puts dollar to dollar perspective.....................well, $6600 for a pair of JTR S2's compared to $4600 for four UXL's is fair savings........but I didn't make the change due to saving money, rather to split four cabs at 1/4 space compared to placing duals at 1/2 space.  In my room which has been acoustically designed by professionals................going quads at 1/4 has made a HUGE difference regarding FR from seat to seat.  I'm finding performance wise, overall the UXL's are slightly bettering the JTR S2..........................and IMHO, they sound smoother with less distortion..........but then again, I might be hearing a difference due to placementwink.gif

Nope, placement is just fine. And your hearing is perfect.... tongue.gif

You guys are crazy....
post #1339 of 1388 Old 04-26-2014, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski View Post

Nope, placement is just fine. And your hearing is perfect.... tongue.gif

Yes, sir!! biggrin.gif
post #1340 of 1388 Old 04-26-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

And if anyone wants to give an opinion for which way my couch UXL-18 enclosures should be oriented, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1529081
post #1341 of 1388 Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Trying to finalize placement for all four UXL's...................took this weekend to move 140+ lb subs around................great workout and who needs deadlifts? 

I'm actually surprised by data collected from REW...................

XT32 is off..........along with dynamic eq/dynamic volume..........just raw room response.  I tried to calibrate to as close to 115 db's as I could.............no MiniDSP yet as my current one is being exchanged.  MiniDSP came through like a champ!

Looks like corner loading in rear give best FR for room......................this surprised me!  Not really a lot of options when moving two subs back and forth along wall, but corner load is best location............go figure. 

I tried to get as flat as possible without eq.................when second MiniDSP Open DRC-an arrives, looks like I'll be in good shape and close to flat.......well, at least I'm hoping to be flat down to 20 hz. 

BTW, I've ran several sweeps and hit 124 db's with out clipping............not doing that again!!!!!:eek:

I'm running all four UXL's on just one Peavey ipr2 7500 and just don't have the gonads to push my room more!  With Open in possession, plan to calibrate flat to 115 db's down to 10-15 hz...........don't know if Peavey ipr2 7500 running in 2 ohm load is capable of bring the low end up that much. But I will try..........if not, another Peavey ipr2 will be purchased.

So far..........am very pleased.  Most definitely an improvement over my S2...........besides, the drivers are much better looking!

post #1342 of 1388 Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:

Trying to finalize placement for all four UXL's...................took this weekend to move 140+ lb subs around................great workout and who needs deadlifts? 

I'm actually surprised by data collected from REW...................

XT32 is off..........along with dynamic eq/dynamic volume..........just raw room response.  I tried to calibrate to as close to 115 db's as I could.............no MiniDSP yet as my current one is being exchanged.  MiniDSP came through like a champ!

Looks like corner loading in rear give best FR for room......................this surprised me!  Not really a lot of options when moving two subs back and forth along wall, but corner load is best location............go figure. 

I tried to get as flat as possible without eq.................when second MiniDSP Open DRC-an arrives, looks like I'll be in good shape and close to flat.......well, at least I'm hoping to be flat down to 20 hz. 

BTW, I've ran several sweeps and hit 124 db's with out clipping............not doing that again!!!!!eek.gif

I'm running all four UXL's on just one Peavey ipr2 7500 and just don't have the gonads to push my room more!  With Open in possession, plan to calibrate flat to 115 db's down to 10-15 hz...........don't know if Peavey ipr2 7500 running in 2 ohm load is capable of bring the low end up that much. But I will try..........if not, another Peavey ipr2 will be purchased.

So far..........am very pleased.  Most definitely an improvement over my S2...........besides, the drivers are much better looking!

So when are you buying another four?...lol tongue.gif

Seeing that you have a spare IPR2 7500. biggrin.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #1343 of 1388 Old 05-04-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So when are you buying another four?...lol tongue.gif

Seeing that you have a spare IPR2 7500. biggrin.gif

I only have one Peavey..............

And no..................four more is not in the cards!  :eek::eek::eek:

My room is over built.......................and I've heard a few creaks while unleashing these beasts!  ;)

My goal is to be flat down to 10 hz @ 115 db's..................................looks like that goal is attainable with current set up once I have MiniDSP Open.  I'm a little worried adding to  bottom end with just one Peavey.................if I can't do it ie. clipping amp occurs, then I'll just buy another.  PDXrealtor has surplus!  :D

post #1344 of 1388 Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

With MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN in source chain and XT32 engaged, I'm flat as a pancake with four UXL's. At 0 reference on Marantz, I'm close to flat down to 8hz at 115 db's.......

Low end is fantastic!!! All seven seats have the same tactile feeling..........along with smooth, clean bass. Took a while to dial in but was well worth it.

I absolutely recommend UXL's if anyone is on the fence. Definitely a low end dweller.

post #1345 of 1388 Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

With MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN in source chain and XT32 engaged, I'm flat as a pancake with four UXL's. At 0 reference on Marantz, I'm close to flat down to 8hz at 115 db's.......

Low end is fantastic!!! All seven seats have the same tactile feeling..........along with smooth, clean bass. Took a while to dial in but was well worth it.

I absolutely recommend UXL's if anyone is on the fence. Definitely a low end dweller.

👍

post #1346 of 1388 Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 874
I have my two subs dialed in too. Great feeling when everything is just right
post #1347 of 1388 Old 05-13-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Awesome results doublewing!
post #1348 of 1388 Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Very impressive, dw!

So glad the UXLs have been a positive (more than positive?) solution for many of our HTs.
post #1349 of 1388 Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Where can I pick up the uxl? Seems the website shows sold out.

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub -Updating to Duals with UXL-18"s A bit different
post #1350 of 1388 Old 05-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Check back in June. Parts are coming...I am ready for two more!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page