UXL-18 Subwoofer driver Group Buy (is now closed out/over/done/fini) !!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
THE GROUP BUY IS OFFICALLY CLOSED OUT/OVER!

As some of you know, I have recently been in contact with Mark at IST about a Group Buy of the UXL-18 subwoofer.

Obviously the driver is held in high regard by many on this forum. Specs for the UXL-18 are found at:

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_uxl_18.html

Knowing that there could be a good number of people interested in buying this, Mark has put out a price of $410 shipped per driver for a quantity of 40.

The shipped price is in US dollars and includes shipping from IST to locations within Canada and the continental USA. If outside of those areas, you would need to contact Mark separately to determine shipping charges. Overseas shipments will be sent by ocean shipping - no exceptions.

We are limiting this order to 40 drivers for decent turn-around time for production and reasonable assurance parts are in stock.

Still need to discuss payment logistics.

I am hammering out details on assurances of parts being stocked and turn-around time before setting the dead-line date for order money to be in. Mark is aware of this thread starting, and unless he states otherwise, please use me as the point for questions related to the Group Buy. (see post 47 and Post #1 12/25/13 edit below) I might not have an answer right away, but I will do my best to get it asap.

If you are dead-nuts serious about this deal, please reply below if you would be ready by the end of January 2014 to pay for the UXL-18 and how many you would like.

By January 1, if it looks like there would be close to enough commitments, we will make it happen and I will provide payment details. See 12/26/13 edit below for target date of mid-February!

I'm sure I am missing something...if so, just ask below...someone else might have the same question. Bear with with me, nothing in this for me, just trying to help out the DIY community. biggrin.gif

edit: 12/24/13...Mark has said if there is definitely commitment to the quantity, and his magnet order arrives soon,
he would start getting materials in and could be shipping by February 2!

Also, the default is a plain carbon fiber dust cap, NO logo on the dust cap. If you want to have the logo, you will need to indicate that with your order.

edit: 12/24/13...added the above about "ocean shipping" overseas as per Mark.

edit: 12/25/13...as far as Group Buy questions, ask me...as far as questions not answered here about the UXL-18, ask Mark as per Mark...see post #47.

edit: 12/25/13...post 55 has a link to Rebel's build showing Erich's 4 cu ft sealed flat-pack being used in conjunction with a UXL-18. I believe Rebel used a baffle cut out for the Dayton (albeit a tight fit) and in the same thread it is suggested using the slightly larger baffle cut-out for the SI. Please be sure to read that thread carefully if you are ordering a flat-pack for the UXL-18.

edit: 12/26/13...price has been confirmed at $410 per driver shipped for 40 drivers or more. Quantities of 16 or more will be shipped on a skid with savings being passed on to buyer. Deadline for group buy has been extended to mid-February!

edit: 12/29/13...Once we hit 40 drivers (or just over if the last order "in" pushes us past that number), I am turning the Group Buy members names in to Mark so they are able to receive their discount.
After that, it will be up to Mark as to whether he will take any one else in that dedicated Group Buy production run or pass along the Group Buy pricing of $410 shipped each.

edit: 12/30/13...in the event more commitments (not "thinking about it") are posted in the thread (they must be posted, not PMed to me), and we go over 40, the last person to post a commitment that indeed pushes us to 40 should be able to be accommodated (even it that takes us a unit or two over I hope...Mark, any problems with that?) unless it is a large order which puts us significantly over 40, in which case I shall discuss with Mark first.

Any commitments that come in after #40 (or thereabouts) will be a matter of record and considered as "back-up" in the order they were posted in case something happens with one of the original commitments.

edit: 12/30/13...Payment directions for group buy!!!!!!!

Mark will have a pdf list of each of our 19 participants and their contact/shipping info by tomorrow morning. Each of you will contact Mark and pay via PayPal for 50% of your respective order (a down payment) by Saturday, January 18. The sooner, the better. If you have arranged an alternative shipping means with Mark that affects the $410 per driver shipped price, that is between you and him. If a person would like to pay for the whole shot up front, that's all good too! As he has indicated in post 421, once the magnets have arrived and the drivers are completed and ready, each person would then pay the second half of what's due on their respective order and the driver/s will ship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

THE GROUP BUY IS NOW CLOSED/OVER!

Reserved for UXL-18 commitments: 40 drivers gone out of 40 (as of 10:00AM EST 12-30-13)

If you are one of the people on the list below, PLEASE PM me your first and last name, address where you want the driver/s shipped, and a contact phone number and email. Thx!

Payment directions for group buy!!!!!!!

Mark will have a pdf list of each of our 19 participants and their contact/shipping info by tomorrow morning. Each of you will contact Mark and pay via PayPal for 50% of your respective order (a down payment) by Saturday, January 18. The sooner, the better. If you have arranged an alternative shipping means with Mark that affects the $410 per driver shipped price, that is between you and him. If a person would like to pay for the whole shot up front, that's all good too! As he has indicated in post 421, once the magnets have arrived and the drivers are completed and ready, each person would then pay the second half of what's due on their respective order and the driver/s will ship.

Monkey_Man.....2

jbrown15..........4

joebuddyguy.....2

a|F.................1

fuzz092888.......2

mt2mt2............2

chalugadp........1

Spiderm0n........1

keithbanford.....1

doublewing11....2

JWagstaff.........1

Rebel975..........1

pdxrealtor.........4

laugsbach.........2

subyguy............1

Aus1095...........2

dece870717......2

gpmbc.............4

GotPho............2

Gorilla83..........4 volunteered to give up his 4 so that btinindy and fr8doggr could get in for two each.

H8TWRK.............2
Monkey_Man and Rebel975 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'll take 2. Thanks!!!

post #4 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 895
I'll take four. smile.gif
steve nn likes this.
post #5 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Put me down for 2 please and thanks!
post #6 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 59
cad or usd ?
post #7 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Carbon fiber dust cap or plain black ones?

-Greg

post #8 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

cad or usd ?

First post, sir: " The shipped price is in US dollars and includes shipping from IST to locations within Canada and the continental USA."

Hope you can join us...the more, the merrrier...biggrin.gif

post #9 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Carbon fiber dust cap or plain black ones?

First post, sir: "Also, the default is a plain carbon fiber dust cap, NO logo on the dust cap. If you want to have the logo, you will need to indicate that with your order."

post #10 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

First post, sir: "Also, the default is a plain carbon fiber dust cap, NO logo on the dust cap. If you want to have the logo, you will need to indicate that with your order."

Yeah I was typing on my phone earlier - let me rephrase as I DID READ that.

I have 4 UXL18s. I've thought of getting up to 8 for my future HT build.

I thought mine were going to have carbon fiber dust caps back in the day with no logo - but they were plain black ones with no logo.

Hell maybe these are carbon fiber - I can't tell since I'm at work.

Thanks. smile.gif

-Greg

post #11 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4 more!
4 more!
4 more!
biggrin.gif

post #12 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

4 more!
4 more!
4 more!
biggrin.gif

So you're asking him to order a total of another 12?......lol tongue.gif
post #13 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Hummmm...

post #14 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Christmas Eve calls, folks. Have to take care of family stuff from now until later tomorrow.
Will update any postings and PM responses around noon tomorrow, if not before.

Merry Christmas!

post #15 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 534
So tempting... The performance is close to a LMS Ultra but at less than half the price.
HuskerOmaha likes this.
post #16 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

So tempting... The performance is close to a LMS Ultra but at less than half the price.

Your time has come shady

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #17 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Oh man!! I recently purchased a LMS-U and plan to buy another soon.....with this group buy I might have to scratch my LMS-U build and go with 4 UXL's! The wheels are turning!

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

post #18 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know you want too shadyj, then we can put all that PSA talk behind us!...lol tongue.gif
post #19 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Urrrggg!!! Wanto sooo badd, but not good timing.......must nooot giiive in for family sake.
Lettt... See. How long I can hold out.
post #20 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have that right, Shady...and at LESS than half the LMS-U price with this group buy! So, how many should we put you down for??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Oh man!! I recently purchased a LMS-U and plan to buy another soon.....with this group buy I might have to scratch my LMS-U build and go with 4 UXL's! The wheels are turning!

SN...as Shady pointed out above...says it all. Two UXL-18 for the price of one LMS-U and you would STILL have $100 left over!! biggrin.gif
Did you need four, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Urrrggg!!! Wanto sooo badd, but not good timing.......must nooot giiive in for family sake.
Lettt... See. How long I can hold out.

datranz....how often is a UXL18 group buy going to come around? get 'em while you can!!!

post #21 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 675
If the uxl-18 is used in a gjallarhorn build, does the small pole vent Data-Bass.com mentions with the soft pumping air sound at high excursion levels come into play? Depending on the answer, I may be in for two for a fun future project. I know the driver is right at the mouth of the horn on this design, and I wonder if the noises Josh mentions (as not being a problem with a dampened sealed enclosure) might become a problem with the driver rear completely exposed and potentially amplified by the horn mouth. I know I put my head up to they mouth of d_c 's gjallarhorn, and those LMS-5400 drivers were moving fierce! Thoughts? Experiences?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #22 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
damn, i wish this group buy is in March when the check from uncle Sam comes.

good luck fellows.
post #23 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

You know you want too shadyj, then we can put all that PSA talk behind us!...lol tongue.gif

I wanted to say a little more but now I have to. Could you imagine all the damage he could do swaggering over to ID and wielding the UXL around. One of these with a dsp iNuke and FPack would destroy any thought of a kit and co$t pretty much the same. lol we wont even talk vented eek.gif just playin shady

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #24 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I will probably have to pass.. This holiday season has been brutal on my pocketbook, plus I already have as much bass as I can use as it is. The limiting factor for me at this point is my room, not my subs. It's just too hard to justify right now. Still, its never been cheaper to build a dream sub, so I haven't ruled it out completely. The group buy price is as good a deal as you'll ever find for such high performance drivers ... let's see, two dual opposed UXL-18s: $1600, two Behringer EP4000s: $760, wood, paint, misc parts....maybe 200 or 300.. adds up to about $2600. hmm.... I do have an extra kidney...
post #25 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
thanks for the heads up, but im gonna have to pass on this one, already have more subs than i know what to do with and im currently in the process of building 2 more as i type this biggrin.gif

post #26 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

If the uxl-18 is used in a gjallarhorn build, does the small pole vent Data-Bass.com mentions with the soft pumping air sound at high excursion levels come into play? Depending on the answer, I may be in for two for a fun future project. I know the driver is right at the mouth of the horn on this design, and I wonder if the noises Josh mentions (as not being a problem with a dampened sealed enclosure) might become a problem with the driver rear completely exposed and potentially amplified by the horn mouth. I know I put my head up to they mouth of d_c 's gjallarhorn, and those LMS-5400 drivers were moving fierce! Thoughts? Experiences?

You'd have to ask N8DOGG, he has two Gjallardhorn subs using the UXL-18's.
post #27 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Curious - how does tis stack up against the SI 18ht ? It is $150 more which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things... What are the benefits or 'pros' of this sub compared to the si18ht? (I am a noob, sorry if this is obvious)
post #28 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 225
You know, I keep reading that the UXL-18 is almost like a LMS 5400 but where are the comparison reports in terms of SQ? I would say output too but I don't care about output, I'm sure 4 would be plenty. smile.gif I have my 3 LMS 5400s so I'm done but my dad keeps talking about getting equipment for his home theater room. So if someone that has heard both could talk about the SQ comparison, I'd be interested and I expect others would as well.
post #29 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Flynn View Post

Curious - how does tis stack up against the SI 18ht ? It is $150 more which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things... What are the benefits or 'pros' of this sub compared to the si18ht? (I am a noob, sorry if this is obvious)

It basically takes 3 SI 18's to equal the output of 2 UXL-18's.
post #30 of 1388 Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

You know, I keep reading that the UXL-18 is almost like a LMS 5400 but where are the comparison reports in terms of SQ? I would say output too but I don't care about output, I'm sure 4 would be plenty. smile.gif I have my 3 LMS 5400s so I'm done but my dad keeps talking about getting equipment for his home theater room. So if someone that has heard both could talk about the SQ comparison, I'd be interested and I expect others would as well.
+1
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page