DIY Speaker designs to rival B&W 802 or Salk Soundscape - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rick Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos01 View Post

Finally found some MDF that isn't swollen and bought it. Tomorrow I plan to start on the cabinets. Anyone have opinions on open back mids? I like the idea of an increased sound stage but am concerned that it will make it sound more like a smiley curved speaker.

I've built both open back and dipole mids. If I had a choice I would go with dipole for the best effect.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
Rick Craig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 37 Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
rajacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Why not go with a SEOS design such as the SEOS18 with Radian B450BePB Beryllium Diaphragm CD? TD15M's for the midwoofers and either use multiple subs for the distributed bass effect or employ a couple of TD18's to fill in the bass.
Use overkill construction with CLD for the cabinets to make sure they're absolutely dead.
An alternative would be with the RAAL 140 15D.
rajacat is offline  
post #33 of 37 Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post

Why not go with a SEOS design such as the SEOS18 with Radian B450BePB Beryllium Diaphragm CD? TD15M's for the midwoofers and either use multiple subs for the distributed bass effect or employ a couple of TD18's to fill in the bass.
Use overkill construction with CLD for the cabinets to make sure they're absolutely dead.
An alternative would be with the RAAL 140 15D.

I would love to see a RAAL waveguide build! I would try it out myself, but I don't think my RAAL 70-20xr's would fit on that particular waveguide as mine are a custom round design that came with my Ascend Acoustics Sierra's, and I am pretty sure that the waveguide for the RAAL requires the rectangular version.

But, for the sale of discussion and fantasizing...what would be a good mid to use with the RAAL + waveguide? I would love to see a nice 3-way build like this! I wonder how Wayne's mid-horn with the Eminence Delta-10a and a single AE TD15 or TD12 would work out?
Martycool007 is offline  
post #34 of 37 Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Face2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post

But, for the sale of discussion and fantasizing...what would be a good mid to use with the RAAL + waveguide? I would love to see a nice 3-way build like this! I wonder how Wayne's mid-horn with the Eminence Delta-10a and a single AE TD15 or TD12 would work out?
I told you which would work with yours. wink.gif

As far as which mid to use, something small such as the C90 or 12M/15M would be the best directivity match.

Mike
Face2 is online now  
post #35 of 37 Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

As far as which mid to use, something small such as the C90 or 12M/15M would be the best directivity match.

I don't believe that's correct; in general a driver is about the same width as the horn it's mated with to match directivity.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #36 of 37 Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Face2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

As far as which mid to use, something small such as the C90 or 12M/15M would be the best directivity match.

I don't believe that's correct; in general a driver is about the same width as the horn it's mated with to match directivity.
This is the correct WG: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguides/ha25.html

Mike
Face2 is online now  
post #37 of 37 Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Ah, I see, that's a match

Noah
noah katz is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off