AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   looking to wire my house w sonos (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1508353-looking-wire-my-house-w-sonos.html)

157sunset 12-29-2013 08:24 AM

Let me start of w saying thanks to all who read and have input.....

redoing my 2000sq ft house....  this is what my house will need please tell me your suggestions   Thanks ..

2 speakers outside rear patio...

2 speakers in back yard near above ground pool 75 ft away from patio

open living space on ground level ( house is built on slab so everything is basically 1 floor ) 1000sg ft ,

layout is kitchen and dinning banquet on north wall and living room w tv  on south wall

my questions are

what sonos equipment do i need , how many speakers brand wattage etc, volume contols , bridges etc...

can i hook my speakers near living room also to play surround sound also if i choose

any other ideas would be great...thanks 

Phlegm Hankie 12-29-2013 08:46 AM

Play 1's should work fine for the patio. They might be a little small if you want music covering the entire 75' of the back yard, in which case Play 3's or even Play 5's would be the way to go.

If 5.1 audio is important to you I'd go with a Playbar/Sub/2x Play 1 setup. However the open space might make placing surround speakers awkward; do you really want to place them on stands and have them sitting in the middle of the floor, between the living room and the kitchen? In that case I'd just go with a Playbar/Sub combo. Or, if you don't care about tv audio and just want it for music, two Play 5's and the Sub.

157sunset 12-29-2013 09:14 AM

what about bridges and volume controls etc   thanks 

petew 12-29-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157sunset View Post

what about bridges and volume controls etc   thanks 

All the play devices have volume controls. You can either set them with the app or on the device itself with buttons.

The bridge is only needed to connect the sonos system to your wired internet. You'd normally put a bridge next to your router and connect it with an ethernet cable. That said, if you can get a wired internet connection to one of the zone players you won't need the bridge. The sonos system sets up its own wireless network - the sonos network needs access to the internet.

Another use for the bridge is if the distances between sonos players are too great for their dedicated wireless network. The bridge can act as a repeater in that case.

Martycool007 12-29-2013 10:43 AM

I know the appeal of going with the powered speakers that match the Sono brand, but you would be much better off buying or building some better speakers, especially if you want to also have 5.1 surround sound. As a mater of fact, a good receiver should be able to power two other zones, including the main zone, which will be the one that your 5.1 setup is in. Yes, this might cost more, but would lend to having an excellent multiple room audio setup!

You could do a Denon X2000, or better yet, a Denon x4000, and then order 5 of the Seos kits from DIYSoundgroup.com for your 5.1 setup, preferably getting something like the Fusion-15's for the front three then some of the Alpha-8's for the rears, and possibly some additional Alpha-8's for the patio and pool area. That would beat the socks off the Sonos setup!

157sunset 12-29-2013 02:31 PM

thanks will look into that setup also..

beastaudio 12-30-2013 02:04 PM

Sonos is pretty sweet, but marty has a point. Take it for what it's worth, but I will share my "Whole home audio" Fix:

Step 1) I currently have a receiver that has "zone 2 ability" From that zone two preout I hook up to a sherbourn amp that has 4 channels, two of which I run to two outdoor speakers in the ground level, and a second channel I run to the upper deck to more speakers. These are individually selectable at the amplifier. I also have another TV in the den where I like to listen to music as well, but I didn't run a separate channel in there since what I am about to suggest to you didn't require any additional running of cable in this case.

Step 2) is to go acquire a couple AppleTv's (~$100). I have one downstairs (where the receiver and amp are) and one upstairs (on the same network just on my den TV). The apple TV's if you use Itunes currently will be able to pick up any music you are playing from any shared (through the wireless network) device with Itunes and you can rename each appleTV on the network to make then individually identifiable and selectable.

Step 3) Open your I tunes, and it should "see" the appleTv's on your network as playback speaker options. If you don't use itunes then I have wasted my time, but hopefully someone else has read this and it could potentially pertain to them. Anyways, you should be rockin' and rollin' at this point.

The nice thing about this is with an android or idevice, I can walk in the door at the end of the day, hit one app to power up my receiver downstairs without having to go down there and physically hit the button, then hit another app and immediately start controlling my entire library of music, and pick where I want it played and through which appleTV. SO anyways....

Upsides to this method: Better speakers, more than likely cheaper, limits additional gadgets and such, library live updates and appleTV has WAYYY more functionality aside from music streaming

Downsides: Gotta run wire to speakers, from the amp., need Itunes to make it work.

For me it is one of the nicest features of my house....for realz!!!!

Martycool007 12-31-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Sonos is pretty sweet, but marty has a point. Take it for what it's worth, but I will share my "Whole home audio" Fix:

Step 1) I currently have a receiver that has "zone 2 ability" From that zone two preout I hook up to a sherbourn amp that has 4 channels, two of which I run to two outdoor speakers in the ground level, and a second channel I run to the upper deck to more speakers. These are individually selectable at the amplifier. I also have another TV in the den where I like to listen to music as well, but I didn't run a separate channel in there since what I am about to suggest to you didn't require any additional running of cable in this case.

Step 2) is to go acquire a couple AppleTv's (~$100). I have one downstairs (where the receiver and amp are) and one upstairs (on the same network just on my den TV). The apple TV's if you use Itunes currently will be able to pick up any music you are playing from any shared (through the wireless network) device with Itunes and you can rename each appleTV on the network to make then individually identifiable and selectable.

Step 3) Open your I tunes, and it should "see" the appleTv's on your network as playback speaker options. If you don't use itunes then I have wasted my time, but hopefully someone else has read this and it could potentially pertain to them. Anyways, you should be rockin' and rollin' at this point.

The nice thing about this is with an android or idevice, I can walk in the door at the end of the day, hit one app to power up my receiver downstairs without having to go down there and physically hit the button, then hit another app and immediately start controlling my entire library of music, and pick where I want it played and through which appleTV. SO anyways....

Upsides to this method: Better speakers, more than likely cheaper, limits additional gadgets and such, library live updates and appleTV has WAYYY more functionality aside from music streaming

Downsides: Gotta run wire to speakers, from the amp., need Itunes to make it work.

For me it is one of the nicest features of my house....for realz!!!!

Now that is a simple, yet effective, solution for sure! I may end up doing the same thing with the second zone out of my Denon AVR-3310 into a separate Apple TV in my den that will have a pair of speakers in this second zone for watching TV and listening to music. I would prefer for iTunes and the Apple TV to be able to handle 24/192 lossless tracks in FLAC or some other lossless file format, but for the sake of simplicity, the standard resolution stuff coming from iTunes and through an Apple TV will still be pretty decent.

petew 01-01-2014 09:28 AM

Sonos has a great user interface, on iOS, windows, mac, android. It'll play tunes from your iTunes library, tracks stored on a network attached storage device, or the cloud. You can also send content from you phone to the sonos system.

It also keeps the different zones and play back devices synchronized.

Setup is painless.

RandallSG 01-24-2014 02:31 PM

Just a few notes on Sonos and lessons learned as someone who has 8 zones scattered between two houses.

The brilliance of Sonos is its User Interface using your choice of Apple, Android, PC or Mac (in any combination) and its vast choice of streaming sources or your own music to any of the zones or multiple zones (again, in any combination).

It has the highest SAF (spousal approval factor) of any electronics I have brought into the house.  Anything that you do to complicate the setup is ill-advised. 

My advice is to use one of the Connect:Amps (formerly ZP120) for the Patio and Pool areas.  If you can ever envision listening to different music sources at the same time for the Patio/Pool, then you will need two Connect-Amps.  A single Connect-Amp can drive four 8 ohm speakers, particularly if they are high efficiency (Klipsch come to mind for outdoors).

I would avoid trying to use an external amplifier for Sonos, unless you are using Sonos as an input into your audio/HT system.  As previously noted, you then have more wiring issues.  However, more importantly it complicates a system which really excels at being simple.

Trepidati0n 01-24-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallSG View Post

It has the highest SAF (spousal approval factor) of any electronics I have brought into the house.  Anything that you do to complicate the setup is ill-advised. 

^^^^^ x 10000000000000

I seriously cannot stress this enough. If it is just for you...do whatever. But if it ever doesn't work when she wants it to, may God have mercy on your soul. The price admission is a tough pill to swallow but you will quickly forget it. But put it this way, I have never met one person who started with Sonos where they never mentioned price within a week of having it and never met a person who switched to Sonos from some other system who can't thank me enough for recommending it each time I come over and we use it. It isn't the bestest audio..but my Wife/Spouse really likes it and I have to spend zero time maintaining it or explaining it.

We have two play 5's and a connect. We will be adding the soundbar soon. One play 5 is fixed and the connect is attached to my PC speakers. The other play 5 is "mobile" because we take it outside in the backyard, garage, or in the front yard depending upon what is going on.

Note: Their QA department is amazing. Found a bug in the PC application. I posted on the forums. Had a fix in 48 hours.

RandallSG 01-24-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

^^^^^ x 10000000000000

I seriously cannot stress this enough. If it is just for you...do whatever. But if it ever doesn't work when she wants it to, may God have mercy on your soul. The price admission is a tough pill to swallow but you will quickly forget it. But put it this way, I have never met one person who started with Sonos where they never mentioned price within a week of having it and never met a person who switched to Sonos from some other system who can't thank me enough for recommending it each time I come over and we use it. It isn't the bestest audio..but my Wife/Spouse really likes it and I have to spend zero time maintaining it or explaining it.

We have two play 5's and a connect. We will be adding the soundbar soon. One play 5 is fixed and the connect is attached to my PC speakers. The other play 5 is "mobile" because we take it outside in the backyard, garage, or in the front yard depending upon what is going on.

Note: Their QA department is amazing. Found a bug in the PC application. I posted on the forums. Had a fix in 48 hours.

Just to pile on....    As an example of ease of use, my wife now uses one of our Sonos' (Play:5) in the bedroom with a CR200 controller (no longer available) as her Alarm clock.  However, to this day she can still not get the surround system to work with the HT, or change the source from Cable -> Bluray -> AppleTV

I suspect that this forum is largely populated by young single guys, so just trust me as someone who has been married for 25 years, "zero maintenance" is a very good thing.

FYI, a first generation Nexus 7 on a charge stand makes an outstanding dedicated controller for Sonos.  It can be set for "instant on", can use the Sonos wireless mesh, and be locked into the Sonos controller application.  Not bad for a single Benjamin eBay investment.