What DIY design? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

My room is roughly 12' X 11' X odd triangle. I owned two Dayton Audio 18''HO sealed subs with a EP4000. I bought a omnimic but never bought any sort of DSP. I was never really satisfied with the duel 18s. I was always left wanting more though, in terms of output. I sold them awhile back so now I am wanting to get new subs. After talking to Popalock we tossed around the idea of a GJALLARHORNs or some other type of horn design even discussed a IB setup. . I am a high school student so I don't have the means to drop thousands of dollars on subs. I already own the plans for the Tuba HT horn sub. My neighbor does a ton of cabinet and furniture building as a hobby. I showed him the plans for the Tuba HT and he said it looks like a fun build. He is currently remodeling his shop though and taking a vacation in early February. So he said we wouldn't be able to start a new project until the end of February or early March. I figured this gives me time to really toss around different ideas to figure out what would be the best setup for my room. I am open to whatever you guys think would be best, with my neighbor being able to build anything. Sealed, Ported, and Horn designs are a option. Just putting holes in my ceiling for a IB setup got shot down VERY quickly by my parents. I know building won't start for a few months but this gives me time to order stuff and save up for any projects that are more costly.

I would say budget wise would something around $1600 for everything including amp(s). As much as I would love a clone and 4 LMS ultras, it just can't happen. Goals would be extension down low. Not to concerned about anything really below maybe 14hz or so but I want something that get down into low 20s or high teens. The room is on the 2nd floor. I have zero room treatments. That is my next endeavor. I will be picking up some sort of DSP, most likely a miniDSP.

A total system list is...
Pioneer 1121-K
Arx A2rx-C center
A5s as L/R
A1Bs as rear L/R
PS3 as source
Panasonic ST50''
APCH15

A few pics of the room...

v18s.jpg

I am going to do actual wire management when I get the subs setup. Also the AC unit in the corner is most likely going in the closest.

4o5n.jpg

fxr5.jpg

I will be buying some actual theater seats hopefully in April...

I am open to any project, right now I have been planning on two TUBA HTs that are 32XX32X24 but wanted some other ideas!

Thank you guys!

Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Beating two HO-18's and a ep4k, for cheap, isn't going to be easy...

What about two RE double X's in two large ported boxes powered by a nu6000DSP?
Can you post your omni results so that we can see what we are dealing with... maybe your room is causing havoc?

http://www.amazon.com/RE-Audio-XX18D2-Composite-Performance/dp/B00FF902OK/ref=sr_1_6?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1388357826&sr=1-6&keywords=re+audio+xx
http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu6000dsp-inuke-6000w-lightweight-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6710

I also run 4 of these as kick-bins, powered by two ep4k's and I love them for the price. They give you that nice LOUD THUMP above 40hz (they do require some EQ to sound good though).
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa460-8-18-pro-woofer--295-036

Alcoholics Anonymous: This is a safe place, would you like to go first?
BassThatHz: Sure...
BassThatHz: Hi everybody, I'm BassThatHz... and I'm an addict. redface.gif

Random guy: Dude that's CRAZY!
BassThatHz: Hey, don't judge me. I thought this was a safe place? tongue.gif
BassThatHz: No replacement for displacement?

biggrin.gif

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

This is the only one I actually have.... maybe running a tick hot... We can also see the pioneer is doing a great job with the mains... frown.gif EQing is something I haven't gotten into yet... I get the general idea but fixing it I get lost... I really didn't realize that they were that hot before.. lol

Clearly you have an addiction but personally I don't see a problem with being a bass addict... biggrin.gif There is worse things to be addicted too! tongue.gif
post #4 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Bass your one crazy dude !!!eek.gif
post #5 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Austin,

Good talking to you earlier. Glad you went ahead and started your own thread.

I gotta be honest man. I got the impression that the db force is strong with you. Between your quest for SPL and your neighbor willing to hook you up, I have two (2) recommendations:

1. Offer to help him with his remodel. You will most likely be more of a nusance than help, but if he is willing to let you assist with the remodel, there is a very good chance that you could pick his brain on all things wood working. Trust me the knowledge you gain from an apprenticeship like that is worth more than a few free boxes!

2. Go with the G-Horn! With the UXL group buy going on at the moment, I don't see a better deal out there from a sheer output perspective.

Assuming you go the G-Horn route, let's piece together your system really quick.

1. UXL 18 x 1 - $410 Shipped
2. 4x8 Birch Ply x 6(?) - $300ish
3. MiniDSP 2X4 - $149 Shipped
4. IPR2-7500 - $700ish
5. Misc Finishing Matetials (speaker wire, speakon connectors, box terminal plate, etc...) - $50ish

There you go!

You are probably wondering why I recommended getting such a monster amp. First, it's been tested to be highly efficient. Second, it will future proof you because we both know that you are going to want to either to build another G-Horn or possibly an Othorn to compliment your G-Horn down the road.

Some people may chime in and mention the ringing issue that the G-Horn exhibits at 60Hz. If that turns out to be an issue, just save up for a Othhorn build down the road to let it handle the 50Hz up content.

Still on the fence about the G-Horn? Here is some context. 1 G-Horn = 4 Sealed LMS-U's between 16-32Hz (IIRC).

post #6 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Aus1095...^^^^^Yes!! GHorn with one of the super-duper on-special group buy UXL-18 drivers! biggrin.gif

post #7 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

UXL-18 Group Buy:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507423/uxl-18-subwoofer-driver-group-buy

Othorn as a later complement to the Ghorn would be SMASHING!...perhaps he should ask parents for early birthday gift and get two UXL18s now (if only to get them at the barn-storming price)???? tongue.gif

post #8 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Like everyone else is saying, get in on the group buy price of $410ea and buy two UXL-18's. And then jump in on the group buy for a IPR2 7500 for $650.

Those three items would allow you to build just about any sub setup that should quench your bass thirst!
post #9 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Austin,

Good talking to you earlier. Glad you went ahead and started your own thread.

I gotta be honest man. I got the impression that the db force is strong with you. Between your quest for SPL and your neighbor willing to hook you up, I have two (2) recommendations:

1. Offer to help him with his remodel. You will most likely be more of a nusance than help, but if he is willing to let you assist with the remodel, there is a very good chance that you could pick his brain on all things wood working. Trust me the knowledge you gain from an apprenticeship like that is worth more than a few free boxes!

2. Go with the G-Horn! With the UXL group buy going on at the moment, I don't see a better deal out there from a sheer output perspective.

Assuming you go the G-Horn route, let's piece together your system really quick.

1. UXL 18 x 1 - $410 Shipped
2. 4x8 Birch Ply x 6(?) - $300ish
3. MiniDSP 2X4 - $149 Shipped
4. IPR2-7500 - $700ish
5. Misc Finishing Matetials (speaker wire, speakon connectors, box terminal plate, etc...) - $50ish

There you go!

You are probably wondering why I recommended getting such a monster amp. First, it's been tested to be highly efficient. Second, it will future proof you because we both know that you are going to want to either to build another G-Horn or possibly an Othorn to compliment your G-Horn down the road.

Some people may chime in and mention the ringing issue that the G-Horn exhibits at 60Hz. If that turns out to be an issue, just save up for a Othhorn build down the road to let it handle the 50Hz up content.

Still on the fence about the G-Horn? Here is some context. 1 G-Horn = 4 Sealed LMS-U's between 16-32Hz (IIRC).

Fine! Popalock! You've convinced me! I suppose a G-horn might work... biggrin.gif I will go back over to my neighbors house tomorrow (I am on break right now) and ask if I can help him. I will also sign up for two UXL-18s on the group buy! I might not use one of the drivers until I save up some more money but at least I got it for the cheaper price. Do you think I should only get 1 or 2? I was pretty determined to get 2 just for the smoother Frq response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

UXL-18 Group Buy:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507423/uxl-18-subwoofer-driver-group-buy

Othorn as a later complement to the Ghorn would be SMASHING!...perhaps he should ask parents for early birthday gift and get two UXL18s now (if only to get them at the barn-storming price)???? tongue.gif

My birthday isn't until August so I don't think that one will fly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Like everyone else is saying, get in on the group buy price of $410ea and buy two UXL-18's. And then jump in on the group buy for a IPR2 7500 for $650.

Those three items would allow you to build just about any sub setup that should quench your bass thirst!

Do you think I should buy the IPR2 7500 or a Clone amp? My mom is a electrician so we can run all the power we need to my room. Currently I have a 15amp breaker.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Pretty determined to get TWO....if you are going to have two subs eventually (for the smoother FR, right?).

IPR2 7500.

Popa...what say you?....although I think I know what your reply is...biggrin.gif

post #11 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I think if your mom is an electrician that her skills might come in handy when your clone amp stops working. biggrin.gif

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

post #12 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

Fine! Popalock! You've convinced me! I suppose a G-horn might work... biggrin.gif I will go back over to my neighbors house tomorrow (I am on break right now) and ask if I can help him. I will also sign up for two UXL-18s on the group buy! I might not use one of the drivers until I save up some more money but at least I got it for the cheaper price. Do you think I should only get 1 or 2? I was pretty determined to get 2 just for the smoother Frq response...
My birthday isn't until August so I don't think that one will fly....
Do you think I should buy the IPR2 7500 or a Clone amp? My mom is a electrician so we can run all the power we need to my room. Currently I have a 15amp breaker.

2 UXL...Do it!

Only reason I didn't recommend it is because another UXL would bust the budget... But, if you're down, then hell yeah!

Go for the IPR. Your electrician mom will thank you! You will need at least a 20a line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Pretty determined to get TWO....if you are going to have two subs eventually (for the smoother FR, right?).

IPR2 7500.

Popa...what say you?....although I think I know what your reply is...biggrin.gif

IPR for sure.

post #13 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

2 UXL...Do it!

Only reason I didn't recommend it is because another UXL would bust the budget... But, if you're down, then hell yeah!

Go for the IPR. Your electrician mom will thank you! You will need at least a 20a line.
IPR for sure.

I don't think I can swing $1470 in the next few weeks. We are 12 away from ending the buy on the drivers. The $650 is due in 3 weeks.. That is too close to make all of that. My original budget was few the end of February/ early march lol
post #14 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Just curious but could I actually damage my house with these things? The two 18s before didn't do much. Some plates down stairs would rattle a little but nothing ever broke... I don't need my parents coming home and the ceiling is gone or something.. redface.gif
post #15 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Quote:

Just curious but could I actually damage my house with these things? The two 18s before didn't do much. Some plates down stairs would rattle a little but nothing ever broke... I don't need my parents coming home and the ceiling is gone or something.. redface.gif

Only if your house is poorly built or has rotting walls/ ceiling's
post #16 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:

Personally I would get an IPR2 7500 over a clone amp. I say that because I know with my luck I'd get a crappy one, and at least with the 7500 you get a decent warranty on it.

Plus forum member N8DOGG has told me that the clone amp's fans are crazy loud, louder then any of the pro amps.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Personally I would get an IPR2 7500 over a clone amp. I say that because I know with my luck I'd get a crappy one, and at least with the 7500 you get a decent warranty on it.

Plus forum member N8DOGG has told me that the clone amp's fans are crazy loud, louder then any of the pro amps.

I wish I could afford the 7500 but I won't be able to. Right now I will be just getting the two drivers and getting them built. I run sound for my schools auditorium. We have a few amps laying around. I will prolly snag one and then pick up something like a Inuke6KDSP later down the road.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page