WinISD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Yes but I was told that that is the version that works best over there?? Have you tried with your version? The older alpha version is the only version I do have installed though. I confirmed it under programs. Thanks for all your help andy..

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 215
There's been a lot of confusion about WinISD versions out there. Part of the reason for this confusion is that the latest version, for some reason that's unfathomable to me, is not even linked from the linearteam.org homepage. You must download it from the WinISD Facebook page as linked in the Nov. 24, 2011 post there. The direct link is http://www.linearteam.org/download/winisd-07x.exe.

Why does using the latest version matter? Starting in Vista, Microsoft added a feature to Windows called user account control (UAC). One aspect of UAC is that Windows prohibits any application from writing any data to the c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86) folders or any folder under those, except during its install process. Thus, an installed program cannot write, say, a configuration file to the folder in which the program itself was installed! This used to be a common technique used by Windows programmers and is now verboten.

This is apparently a problem with older versions of WinISD. That's why they crash on exit. If you're using Vista or a later version of Windows, you must use the latest version linked from their Facebook page. It fixes that problem. I'd recommend uninstalling the old one too. If anybody is telling you to install some other version, unless you're running XP or earlier, they're giving you the wrong information.
steve nn likes this.
post #33 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

YAHOO! Talk about a long run! Damn programs anyway. I could go on but what's the use. They're good when they work though. Hey thanks andy I did as you said and it’s all good. My beloved 15” SDX is loaded and ready for bear. LTD, Scotty and Mike (HTS) Thank you too tongue.gifcool.gif
andyc56 likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #34 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Alright! Glad it worked out for you. biggrin.gif
steve nn likes this.
post #35 of 44 Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post

Alright! Glad it worked out for you. biggrin.gif

Me too! If I just would have had the right version to begin with and the tip on how to get the driver to load. I humbly appreciate your time and all who tried. cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #36 of 44 Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Me too! If I just would have had the right version to begin with and the tip on how to get the driver to load. I humbly appreciate your time and all who tried. cool.gif

I sense a new build in the works?
post #37 of 44 Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey basser.. There is always some sort of build on the horizon but I really needed to bite the bullet and start learning how to do a few aspects of the build myself that I have been putting off instead of leaning on a few others. Not that that is wrong, but in my case I should have taken it on years ago. Good to hear from yuh cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #38 of 44 Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You're not alone Steve. It took me a few tries to get a fully working version of WinISD.

What ya building next?? biggrin.gif:D
post #39 of 44 Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker View Post

You're not alone Steve. It took me a few tries to get a fully working version of WinISD.

What ya building next?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi Thuck! I keep gravitating towards the dual PR 15” SDX possibility but I really do have all I need with it’s little brother the 12” with the situation I’m in at this time. I’m +-3dB down to 13 so I dunno? I would just have to buy the PR's, so that's all good. Are you still planning on a couple sealed 15”s or might you go larger? I don’t recall what driver/s you’re contemplating though?.. sure is a lot to pick from right now. cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #40 of 44 Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Hi Thuck! I keep gravitating towards the dual PR 15” SDX possibility but I really do have all I need with it’s little brother the 12” with the situation I’m in at this time. I’m +-3dB down to 13 so I dunno? I would just have to buy the PR's, so that's all good. Are you still planning on a couple sealed 15”s or might you go larger? I don’t recall what driver/s you’re contemplating though?.. sure is a lot to pick from right now. cool.gif

If I remember correctly your 12" SDX build was for the bedroom. If you're getting flat freq response down to 13 in your bedroom, what more do you need ...... realistically? Lol. If you need the walls to shake, there are other ways to do that. tongue.gif . Dual PR with an SDX-15 would be cool though.

My next build is still in the air right now. I'm open to all options. I have a pair of MFW-15s sitting around at my disposal. What ever I build has to have high WAF, as it's for the Great Room, which is the lady's territory. I'm pushing my luck with wanting to build a pair of 15s and a pair of speakers for music listening. I hate to admit it, but we are rocking a Bose system in there currently.

I have a few curved profiles drawn up that I'd like to try building, but those 4 cu-ft boxes you have sitting around would save me a lot of time. Lol. the speakers will be curved cabinet for sure. I started making the curved template already. It's about sex appeal and SQ more than output this time....
post #41 of 44 Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have you given much thought to just picking up a couple http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-speaker-cabinets/289 enclosures over at PE (Erich supplies them) and just concentrating on a nice finish to your liking? Not quite the challenge though and of course the $$ factor if you could even find something that appeals?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #42 of 44 Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:

Have you given much thought to just picking up a couple http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-speaker-cabinets/289 enclosures over at PE (Erich supplies them) and just concentrating on a nice finish to your liking? Not quite the challenge though and of course the $$ factor if you could even find something that appeals?

I'm not worried about the box itself, just the finishing. I have all the tools and can cut a flat pack in a few hours.

The staining and finishing is what I'm nervous about. I've experimented with stains on some scrap pieces of wood and can't get an even finish. As of now, I feel like I can get a piano black finish easier than I can stain and poly. Maybe I'll do some more research.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've experimented with stains on some scrap pieces of wood and can't get an even finish.

Some scrap wood will stain differently than veneer if it’s hard. Veneer is pretty soft and accepts stain very well although there will be a few inconsistencies.

I keep coming up with roughly this no matter what driver is loaded and power. Something is off concerning cone excursion. Any ideas out there what might be causing this. This as a example is the Dayton 15” UM in 250L at 1000w confused.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #44 of 44 Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member