Noise Complaint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So much for getting more sub's. I just received a letter in the mail from my home owners association. One of my neighbors complained about the "noise". The thing that stinks is I have only watched movies with two of my sub's. Any sound heard lately with the four sub's has been my REW experimenting.

I don't know for sure which neighbor complained, but I have a good idea. The neighbor that I think it is complained about the noise when we had our roof put on.

I normally listen at 0.0 on the AVR with the subs hot. I need to play a movie at my normal listening levels and take measurements outside. I will probably do both SPL and frequency with REW.

Now I want to move.

Anyone else deal with this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Dual pane windows, additional insulation/sound proofing. Tactile transducers could also help with the bass craving.
post #3 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
To be honest, I moved for this very reason. I was living in an apartment and had a TC Sounds Epic 12" turned up to 3 clicks on the knob on a NU3000DSP. The neighbor pounded on the wall. Couple months later I was out of there.
Mfusick likes this.
post #4 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 901
I didn't bother getting a serious home theater until I moved to my current home. Can play as loud as I want. Moving time if you want to listen loud redface.gif
post #5 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
That sucks man!! Find out who it is a ask them if they would like to hear how good it sounds in the room? smile.gif That would definitely make me want to move.

I've had one complaint from one of my neighbors, but we're cool so things were ok. Little do they know I'm building 2 LMS -5400's smile.gif I live in town homes, and even though there is a garage separating us the bass still travels.

post #6 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously thinking about moving now. The problem is, the houses here are too close together. Unless I can find something on a larger lot, I may find myself in the same situation.

What bugs me most about this is that he wasn't man enough to say something to me directly.

post #7 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately most people fear confrontation. I've asked my neighbors if they hear my system and it's only when they're outside. Sucks not being able to turn it up when you want to. I had the same issue when I lived in an apartment. Maybe when the complaining neighbor is off to work would be a go?
post #8 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed. I have told that to my other neighbor. He is cool with it. This other guy is just difficult. It's funny, I've never complained about his dogs constant barking.

post #9 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are your local laws regarding noise pollution? Where I live (Central CA) the noise laws are observed between I believe 10 or 11PM and 7AM... between 7AM and 10-11PM it's fair game.
post #10 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bat View Post

What are your local laws regarding noise pollution? Where I live (Central CA) the noise laws are observed between I believe 10 or 11PM and 7AM... between 7AM and 10-11PM it's fair game.

It's most likely an HOA violation, not a legal issue.
post #11 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
"It's funny, I've never complained about his dogs constant barking".

Maybe it's time to start. smile.gif
sandydankness likes this.
post #12 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't find much in regards to the law. I'm going to call both the police and HOA to get more info.

My wife and I figured out that the last movies we watched were in the middle of November because I was building two more subs and putting relays in my amps. This complaint had to be from me doing high SPL sweeps with REW.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Still, I don't think they were after 10-10:30 pm

This same neighbor chewed out another neighbor in his front yard for cutting his grass at 6am. While I think 6am is too early, I can't believe it was heard in his house. The neighbor cutting his grass lives across the street and two houses down.

I should be able to setup REW on my laptop outside and get SPL /freq while demoing a loud movie for a period of time. I read that you can typically subtract 15db from the detected SPL to figure out what is being heard in his house.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 61 Old 01-04-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Some people think just because their a home owner that they are severely entitled. Like they have the right to complain and throw their weight around just because they own a home. People like this, you need to show them that they are just as human as you are and that you will not tolerate their petty bs. You must follow the dark left path and show him great smite! Kill his trees, place loud super tweeters throughout his property... blast loud bug and bird sounds, unleash hundreds of spiders and scorpions on his property, drain coolant from his air conditioners, do something. Don't let this petty human disrupt your world. Make his life a living hell!!!
Reddig likes this.
post #15 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

I've had one complaint from one of my neighbors, but we're cool so things were ok. Little do they know I'm building 2 LMS -5400's smile.gif I live in town homes, and even though there is a garage separating us the bass still travels.
Those might push you over the edge wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslv2pwned View Post

Seriously thinking about moving now. The problem is, the houses here are too close together. Unless I can find something on a larger lot, I may find myself in the same situation.

I "only" had 7 subwoofer pumping back then.

Funny thing is, I have since moved... and now I'm only 80ft away and have added another 3 5400's, but I also added sound proofing as a purpose-built room; where before there was just regular-house stuff.

I was also constantly breaking dishes in my old house because I was in the basement, where as I am now in a detached backyard building so there isn't that issue.

The sound proofing and 80ft of air knocked out 40 to 60db-C of bass, and killed all stuff above 200hz.
(I'll soon have 16 subwoofers pumping and double the watts, so that might change).

In theater 2.0 if I ever go there...
it will be 10ft underground and 12inches of cement everywhere but the exit. wink.gif
or just say goodbye to high-speed internet and city plumping and go on 40 acres of farmland in nowhere-land (even though I wouldn't farm on it. LOL tongue.gif, maybe rent it out to other farmers so as not to waste it? I don't know!!!! )

Maybe there should be 1 city dedicated to just bass-heads. Then we can all complete for sleep at 3am.

No I have the loudest. (120db)
No I do (130db)
No I DO (150db)
NO I DO (220db) <- nuke biggrin.gif

Could be fun....
Reddig likes this.
post #16 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Still, I don't think they were after 10-10:30 pm

This same neighbor chewed out another neighbor in his front yard for cutting his grass at 6am. While I think 6am is too early, I can't believe it was heard in his house. The neighbor cutting his grass lives across the street and two houses down.

Sorry to hear this. There are various soundproofing options you can try. I had a neighbor ask me to stop cutting my yard because his baby was sleeping at my previous home. I told him he was welcome to cut my grass at his convenience. If not, he can stay off my property permanently.

Petty stuff like this is why I hate neighborhoods and also why I carry a concealed handgun license. People just dont understand how to live and let live.
post #17 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD28 View Post

Some people think just because their a home owner that they are severely entitled.
They are entitled not to have to live with the fallout from your hobby, whatever that may be. A basic rule of civilized behavior is that you are free to do anything you wish, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's right to do what they wish, which includes not having to listen to your LFE. OTOH if the other guy is a jerk don't whine about it, prove it. Take SPL measurements at your property line. If what you're creating is no more than what a passing car creates document it, give that documentation to the homeowner association, and let them deal with the jerk. But if you are creating more noise than other sources then it's your attitude that needs readjustment.
Mfusick, bobdoggy and LDizzle like this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #18 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
In the past I have went to the property line and checked things out but it seems as though the bass is amplified in the neighbors home. I have wondered about this noticing I hear/feel more bass from another's car when I’m in my car over standing outside even though my window is closed. Room/cabin gain must be in affect.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #19 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree with Bill. Two hours of pounding bass traveling through a neighbor's house is not reasonable behavior. The changes need to be made on your end. I would not want my windows rattling from the neighbor kids' 15" sub in the trunk of his honda..........
post #20 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo2u View Post

I agree with Bill. Two hours of pounding bass traveling through a neighbor's house is not reasonable behavior. The changes need to be made on your end. I would not want my windows rattling from the neighbor kids' 15" sub in the trunk of his honda..........

I agree with Bill too. He basically repeated what I have said I plan to do. I will be documenting outside SPL based on inside SPL levels played.

You however must not have read anything I have said in this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #21 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

It should be noted that the neighbors that are OK with it are on the side of my theater room. The ones doing the complaining are separated by a large bedroom / bathroom and then outside wall. Point being, they are not hearing the same SPL levels.

post #22 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

When I had my previous theater, I put two layers of drywall with weather stripping over the two windows I had. That reduced a lot of sound. I also changed out the front door to a solid one with weather stripping so that you had to push the door to turn the dead bolt which also gave a nice seal. Room treatments helped more inside but the other changes really quieted things down on the outside. Guests would ask if my neighbors complained then I'd have them go outside and listen at the level we just played and they'd be shocked how much sound the room contained.
post #23 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

They are entitled not to have to live with the fallout from your hobby, whatever that may be. A basic rule of civilized behavior is that you are free to do anything you wish, so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's right to do what they wish, which includes not having to listen to your LFE. OTOH if the other guy is a jerk don't whine about it, prove it. Take SPL measurements at your property line. If what you're creating is no more than what a passing car creates document it, give that documentation to the homeowner association, and let them deal with the jerk. But if you are creating more noise than other sources then it's your attitude that needs readjustment.

Yep. I completely agree. I have been on the receiving end of a neighbors stereo and I can definitely tell that is no fun. Especially modern electronic music can be very annoying. She was in principle obeying the local regulations, regarding noise and time of day, where i live, but I really don't believe that entitles anybody to pollute -my- apartment with their noise, even if its in the middle of the day or in the weekend. IMO there is no excuse for polluting other peoples homes with noise and on the the other hand there is also no excuse for being overly sensitive and complain every chance you get.
post #24 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1292
Quote:

It should be noted that the neighbors that are OK with it are on the side of my theater room. The ones doing the complaining are separated by a large bedroom / bathroom and then outside wall. Point being, they are not hearing the same SPL levels.

I once worked for a major outdoor concert venue, making sure that they didn't have problems with the community. The fewest complaints came from houses close by; they'd go to their backyards and enjoy a free concert. The worst complaints came from a classic A hole who was two miles away, where I never measured levels higher than 55dB, and that was outside his house, not inside. A passing car reaches 70dB. I'd often have to wait fifteen minutes for traffic to clear so that I could even take a reading. Some people won't be happy unless they can't hear anything. It's a PITA to document the fact that their complaints are unfounded, but once you do it's worth it to shut them up.
Scott Simonian likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #25 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! Thanks for allowing me to vent and for the support.

Bill, thanks for being the voice of reason.
post #26 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 AM

screw bill: if you want a totally quiet environment, move your old ass to the Antarctica. if i want to cut my grass at 2 in the morning, i do it! if i want my band to play satanic black metal on easter on the back deck, i do it! only person you should answer to is you

post #27 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

screw bill: if you want a totally quiet environment, move your old ass to the Antarctica. if i want to cut my grass at 2 in the morning, i do it! if i want my band to play satanic black metal on easter on the back deck, i do it! only person you should answer to is you
Now, lets not all over-react to Mr. MD28's post. I have taken the liberty to re-interpret his post, to what I think he's really trying to say. smile.gif

screw bill Bless Bill for being considerate of others: if you want a totally quiet environment, move your old ass silly old self to the Antarctica West Virginia. if i want to cut my grass at 2 in the morning with a noiseless unpowered mower, i (will) do it! if i want my Christian band to play satanic black metal hymns on easter on the back deck, i (will) do it! (The) only person you should answer to is you God your wife.

cool.gif
Willie, NathanJ and gpmbc like this.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #28 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

That's how drunk drivers think

Smart

Dan
post #29 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

"It's funny, I've never complained about his dogs constant barking".

Maybe it's time to start. smile.gif
I agree, but first I would confront the neighbor about his dogs and ask him for a little leeway with your HT or you WILL complain about the noise the dogs make.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #30 of 61 Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM

Liked: 14
That suck OP. I would never live anywhere there is a HOA. Someone telling me what color I can and can't paint my house or what kind of roof treatment is acceptable...... Nope. I won't willingly give up my freedoms. My suggestion would be to move.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page