Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The place I went too was able to hook me up with a really good deal on a 13ply import birch that is $30 per sheet. It looks like an excellent product for building my subs with.

Depressing...Truly depressing

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Sounds like win. Prices on lumber and building supplies on Long Island are inflated, so $40/sheet is great.

$40/sheet is better than I ever imagined. I thought I had a deal at some standard low ply (like 5 or 7) BB that is $65 a sheet. The 13ply was like $110

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

After seeing this..........well........ I'll stop my bitching!!biggrin.gif

I won't...I need to find a new place....AGAIN!!!!!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
sounds like the $30 and $40 stuff is chinese, not true russian baltic.... be careful of de-lamination when you cut it and make sure the place you buy will replace it free of charge if you get some of it de-laminating in the middle of the sheet... if its true russian baltic, that's a screaming deal!

I've found you can get true russian baltic around here for that kind of price that is legitimate... but I've rarely seen it sold in small quantities directly to the public for that kind of price... usually has to be a direct to cabinet maker kind of dealio and in high enough quantities that the average DIYer buying a couple sheets a year wouldn't get that kind of deal....

the best place I've found around here only sells to businesses and true Baltic runs $50 a sheet in single quantities, about 45 if you want 10 sheets at a time... it's the really good, super dense stuff... seems almost as heavy as an MDF sheet when carrying it... they also have *really* good quality MDF and HDF that puts the big box store stuff to shame... and it's $25 a sheet in single quantities. I've taken advantage of my side business to be able to buy from them when building my most recent round of cabinets for big horn experiments, wayne parham 3 pi boxes, and I have enough material to make cheap thrills and a few other things I was hoping to build at some point... took advantage of the crazy good deal on the makita track saw last week... so if my back cooperates, might be able to make some straight cuts and some sawdust in the future if I desire rather than relying on someone to build the boxes for me.......

as to topic, totally crazy amount of bass... more than i'd ever want.... but seems par for the course with a lot of folks on this forum.... good on ya taking it to the next level of cray cray smile.gif

Shane
Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:

Most people go a little crazy with the bracing. I use as much as necessary. Basically in this box, you can't go 10" without hitting a brace or a corner. It's really stiff, and the range its used in I don't have to worry about panel resonances.

The highest number of braces I've put in a sub was roughly 28, which was 1 brace every 4 inches in all 3 dimensions; and 1.5inch thick wood on all 6 sides. The braces were a total waste of my time (I think???) but it WAS a very strong box.

Now I just do mid points OR one every 12inches, whichever is the least, and I haven't noticed ANY difference beyond that. (For subwoofers at least.)
notnyt likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Old 02-06-2014, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

started an official thread so I can update the top post. continued here:
NEW THREAD

But mine was on a roll...

Dan
Old 02-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
With the price discussions, as some have indicated, it is important to note if it is domestic, Chinese, or Russian Baltic Birch.
I believe the Russian Baltic is only brought to the USA as 5x5 sheets?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

With the price discussions, as some have indicated, it is important to note if it is domestic, Chinese, or Russian Baltic Birch.
I believe the Russian Baltic is only brought to the USA as 5x5 sheets?

That's what my supplier told me, and they only carry 5x5 sheets. It's spendy though at $72 a sheet for 3/4".
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

That's what my supplier told me, and they only carry 5x5 sheets. It's spendy though at $72 a sheet for 3/4".

Pricing is much higher now because they are having to pay for the sochi olympics! tongue.gif

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterdoc View Post

took advantage of the crazy good deal on the makita track saw last week...

Did you pick up the home depot deal?

I can't wait to start actually using mine!