Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all I have a set of front polk audio RT800i
and center speaker CS400i

I blew the dome tweeters in these 2 months ago and managed to solider and repair them , now it's happened again on all speakers

I'm looking for some info on repairing these again as the 1st time I had a very hard time so looking for some help

the wire in these tweeters I noticed is very strange as even with solider paste I could not get the wire to join again very easy at all , it took me a long time and was very hard , is there a special solider I need I believe I have rosin core solider I was using .
not sure what kind of wire this is in the tweeter but was next to impossible to get it joined again.

is there any articles around as a diy fix to actually re wrap the coil in these tweeters at all ?

my receiver is an onkyo txnr609 and was playing mp'3 at loud volume when they blew for the 2nd time, I didn't hear any clipping at all. , far as I knew there was supposed to be an anti blow device in the speakers but no luck they went so looking at a better way to fix this I'm sure my soldering points let go due to the weird type of wire in the coil of the tweeter wraps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Sounds like your a prime candidate for
Diysoundgroup speakers. They will sound cleaner then the polks and play louder without blowing
post #3 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post

the wire in these tweeters I noticed is very strange as even with solider paste I could not get the wire to join again very easy at all , it took me a long time and was very hard , is there a special solider I need I believe I have rosin core solider I was using .
not sure what kind of wire this is in the tweeter but was next to impossible to get it joined again.
You should not be soldering anything to wire. By your description it sounds like you're trying to solder to the voice coil wire, which is enameled. Pictures would help.
Quote:
is there any articles around as a diy fix to actually re wrap the coil in these tweeters at all ?
That also leads me to believe you're trying to do something with the voice coils, which you cannot. When a tweeter blows you must replace the tweeter, you can't fix it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Extreme, the Polk parts number is 1-800-377-7655. You could give them a call and find out about replacement tweeters. As Bill and others have said, there is no fixing them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

yes its the voice coils that blew , I have repaired them once already with good results until it happened again .due to overpowering them thanks for the replies
post #6 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Sounds like your a prime candidate for
Diysoundgroup speakers. They will sound cleaner then the polks and play louder without blowing

had a peek on there site but just seeing dity speaker kits , nothing for just tweets
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

the tweeter polk model number is SL6506 so I;m gonna have a look around..

is there any aftermarket tweeter or a better one polk sells that won't be as prone to blow ? maybe a new model
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9iec69gczkjety/2014-01-09%2012.58.13.jpg

not the neatest soldering job but it works , tweeter sapped back together and working fine , no damage done to other side

well I managed to fix all tweeters in this method , I think reason these are repairable is the way they snap off from the magnet I've turned it up pretty loud and seem ok , after soldering I applied some crazy glue to help hold the voice coil in place a little more , now I knew these will blow again at high volume , so does anyone know a descent set of aftermarket tweeters that wil fit in these speakers ?

I gave polk a call and the replacement tweeter for these are polk audio rd2616-1 , I cant find a thing on the internet about this tweeter. anyone know of the specs on it ?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Just give Polk a call. No sense in guessing about it or trying to find out more about them at this point. Time to replace.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Polk speakers do not have any type of "anti-blow" device. From your description, it sounds like your are driving your Onkyo into clipping which is blowing the tweeters, more so since you are blowing out more than one. Unfortunately, clipping cannot always be easily heard and you do admit of driving the volume pretty high. The Onkyo 609 is a low end model and as such, does not have much power reserve. My guess it probably only has about 30-40 watts when all channels are driven....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks again for the info as I stated I fixed them all and are working ok for now , but not sure $90 x 3 is worth it to have them replaced think I'm going to snoop around and find an alternative tweeter for the next time they go.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-10-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If they keep blowing, the amp should be replaced... They are clipping and burning out the tweeters...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page