Dual Sealed SI HS24 Build - Page 8 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 233 Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Electrodynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

That hS 24 barely has to move at that size... Impressive. The boxes required on
These suckers are crazy big though...

Exactly. The HS 24 doesn't need to move very far at all to produce a lot of output. That means the driver is in the "sweet spot" of the BL curve, Le curve, Kms/Cms curve, etc, while still shoving out lots of output. But the neat thing is that the woofer is capable of over 4.5" of total cone travel it puts how dominating the woofers is capable of into perspective.
Electrodynamic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 233 Old 09-11-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
After saw Sibuna/Adam's build, I'm also copy his idea & start re-building my dual 15 cf box as well, don't have CNC machine for the perfect cut, only with basic tools like jigsaw, circulaw saw, plunge router...etc, so the progress is slow but everything seems coming along quite well so far
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140911_224054-1688847395.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	257530
planning to stain it into walnut
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140911_224635-1629505947.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	257554

Last edited by WereWolf84; 09-11-2014 at 09:03 AM.
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #213 of 233 Old 09-11-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Afer saw Sibuna/Adam's build, I'm also copy his idea & start re-building my dual 15 cf box as well, don't have CNC machine for the perfect cut, only with basic tools like jigsaw, circulaw saw, plunge router...etc, so the progress is slow but everything seems pulling together well so far
Looks great, man! I'd guess the bracing has taken a lot of time to get it as nice as you have without a CNC. Can't wait to see the finished products!
dtsdig is online now  
post #214 of 233 Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Looks great, man! I'd guess the bracing has taken a lot of time to get it as nice as you have without a CNC. Can't wait to see the finished products!
Thanks, you're right, measure, cut & glue those bracing has taken quite some time

The dual 15 cf boxes will replacing my current 10 cf boxes

Last edited by WereWolf84; 09-11-2014 at 04:05 PM.
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #215 of 233 Old 09-11-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Lookin really good.

And as Nick said the driver does not have to move much to produce silly bass. It however does really move when you want it to
Sibuna is offline  
post #216 of 233 Old 09-11-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks Adam, hope you don't mind me copying Andrew & your idea/design
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #217 of 233 Old 09-11-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Not an issue
Sibuna is offline  
post #218 of 233 Old 10-22-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Slow progress but getting closer to complete , this is after lots of sand & first coat of stain on the front baffle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HS24.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	325498  

Last edited by WereWolf84; 10-22-2014 at 05:18 PM.
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #219 of 233 Old 10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PassingInterest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by blazar

That hS 24 barely has to move at that size... Impressive. The boxes required on
These suckers are crazy big though...


Exactly. The HS 24 doesn't need to move very far at all to produce a lot of output. That means the driver is in the "sweet spot" of the BL curve, Le curve, Kms/Cms curve, etc, while still shoving out lots of output. But the neat thing is that the woofer is capable of over 4.5" of total cone travel it puts how dominating the woofers is capable of into perspective.
Now you have me salivating again.

Hey, this is a great-looking build! Looks really solid. Very nice!
PassingInterest is online now  
post #220 of 233 Old 10-22-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post
Now you have me salivating again.

Hey, this is a great-looking build! Looks really solid. Very nice!
Thanks for your kind words, PassingInterest there are still lots of works to do to complete the build, by the way, credits goes to Gorilla83 aka Andrew & Sibuna aka Adam, I just copied their design

Can't wait to see your build starts

Last edited by WereWolf84; 10-22-2014 at 07:54 PM.
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #221 of 233 Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,446
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 815
notnyt is online now  
post #222 of 233 Old 10-22-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Looking good.
Thanks Rob was struggle to decide between Duratex ordinary black or Walnut stain, eventually decided on Walnut stain, so far satisfied with the outcome and no regret

Last edited by WereWolf84; 10-22-2014 at 08:19 PM.
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #223 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 AM
Member
 
16hz lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
SI 24, the best value in subs on the planet.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
16hz lover is offline  
post #224 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post
SI 24, the best value in subs on the planet.
Sounds like another happy SI customer & owner
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #225 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,353
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Look forward to hearing your impressions of the size differences on the 24.
chrapladm is offline  
post #226 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jpmst3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Davidsville, PA
Posts: 8,379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Have these monsters been fired up yet?

______________________________________________
Joe = LFE Addict
Joe's LOWARHORN build
Dual LMS-5400 Ultra Endtables build
jpmst3 is offline  
post #227 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,988
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Sounds like another happy SI customer & owner
I guess you could say that Haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #228 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
Have these monsters been fired up yet?
Yes, it has been used in below less than perfect conditions for about 9 months only used during weekends

-less than perfect DIY built 10 cubic feet sealed cabinet with MDF due to lack of wood working skills & tools (my first ever DIY sub)
-less than ideal enclosure volume (15 cubic feet is an ideal size)
-less than ideal power feeding?

Last edited by WereWolf84; 10-23-2014 at 04:30 PM.
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #229 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jpmst3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Davidsville, PA
Posts: 8,379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Yes, it has been used in below less than perfect conditions for about 9 months only used during weekends

-less than perfect DIY built 10 cubic feet sealed cabinet with MDF due to lack of wood working skills & tools (my first ever DIY sub)
-less than ideal enclosure volume (15 cubic feet is an ideal size)
-less than ideal power feeding?

Sweet! I hope you are pleased with the results.

Yes, you definitely get better with each build. Hopefully, you don't get upgrade-itis that we all have.

At least with MDF it is cheap enough that you can make bigger/better enclosures on cheap if desired.

______________________________________________
Joe = LFE Addict
Joe's LOWARHORN build
Dual LMS-5400 Ultra Endtables build
jpmst3 is offline  
post #230 of 233 Old 10-23-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
Sweet! I hope you are pleased with the results.

Yes, you definitely get better with each build. Hopefully, you don't get upgrade-itis that we all have.

At least with MDF it is cheap enough that you can make bigger/better enclosures on cheap if desired.
Yup, I enjoy every moment of music & movies with it, I have a big smile every time I look at the woofers, I have bigger smile when I'm switch it on & drowned in bass heaven there is always a thought flashed in my mind, "how would the bass feels like if I going quad of it"

Last edited by WereWolf84; 10-23-2014 at 05:13 PM.
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #231 of 233 Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 AM
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,988
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Yup, I enjoy every moment of music & movies with it, I have a big smile every time I look at the woofers, I have bigger smile when I'm switch it on & drowned in bass heaven there is always a thought flashed in my mind, "how would the bass feels like if I going quad of it"
Couple words come to mind. Visceral, mind blowing, heart stopping, death....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #232 of 233 Old 10-24-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,622
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 99
there's a part of me that almost wants to ditch my ported marty's and build a pair of these... just the E-penis alone would be incredible when people see the size of these woofers
wormraper is online now  
post #233 of 233 Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jpmst3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Davidsville, PA
Posts: 8,379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
there's a part of me that almost wants to ditch my ported marty's and build a pair of these... just the E-penis alone would be incredible when people see the size of these woofers
Agreed. A 24" woofer is something to behold. It would be badass to have two, preferably four or more these visible in the room.

______________________________________________
Joe = LFE Addict
Joe's LOWARHORN build
Dual LMS-5400 Ultra Endtables build
jpmst3 is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F12 Direct Servo Subwoofer , Fv15hp Subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off