Behringer EP 4000 : Can it Drive 2 Pairs of 175W 8 Ohm Speakers in Parallel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I need a power amp to drive two pairs of 175w outdoor speakers with some long cable runs. These speakers are nominal 8 Ohms and will be used for the same stereo content so could be wired in parallel for a 2ch Amp that can handle 4 Ohm loads I guess.

I too don't really know but from what I've googled, all that happens is when you run two speakers in parallel (eg both going to the same speaker terminals) it halves the impedance, eg in my case going from a nominal 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms. The issue is that many amps struggle with the lower impedance and start to overheat till they trip. The EP4000 specs says it can drive at 4 Ohms loads at up to 1,400 Watts per channel (mine would be max 350 per channel for the 2 x 175 w speakers). Even if it is massively overstated it seems heaps.... The problem is this is just what I've read, not from anyone who has tried it out. Also I note some comments on it being "less refined" than an AVR. It seems to have reasonable SNR or am I missing something?

It could be a good solution for me as all I want is a single Stereo source with one On/Off switch (though I may put in a manual switch to be able to turn on each set of speakers separately).

If anyone can shed some thoughts on the above I'd be interested.

Thanks
Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The EP4000 won't have any problem with 4 ohm stereo.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Figure roughly 1960wrms@4ohm bridged, 980wrms@2ohm stereo and I guess 490wrms@4ohm stereo as far as actual output is considered.

Should power your setup nicely with a good bit of headroom.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks for the confirmation, second Q is to feed it from a source (say a Line Out/Headphone Jack or RCA), I'd need to add an unbalanced TRS to stereo cable like as follows then just adjust the Gain on the EP4000 then control the volume from the source device.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Better of just buying a cheap mixer like this for $50 instead going straight to the mixer. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Xenyx-502-Mixer-103846200-i1153498.gc
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page