Polk Audio RTi A9 vs. Fusion-12 Tempest - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me make a decision. I have an opportunity to purchase a couple of Polk Audio RTi A9s at (what I believe to be) a very good price but I'm wondering if the Tempests wouldn't be a better investment (at about half the price). Would I be compromising SQ going one way or the other. Has anyone listened to the A9s. I hope to listen to them myself but if getting the tempests would be a better option, I won't bother going an hour out of my way just to listen to them. Looking over the forum I see nothing but praise for the tempests, and I think I would feel confident enough to purchase them blindly. I wouldn't say my woodworking skills are exceptional, but I do have all the tools necessary and enough experience to be able to manage a couple of boxes with all my fingers intact.

The room they would be going into is 20x15 with 8 ft ceilings. They would be used about 75% movies, 25% music. I currently live in an apartment so they won't be played that loud right now, but looking to move out to the country in the near future so would like something I can crank up from time to time. Either speaker would be crossed over to a sub.

I'd appreciate any feedback either way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Looking at spl, the Polk Audio RTi A9 has a 90db sensitivity and the Tempest is 98db.The Polks can take quite of bit of power, 500w according to the manufacturer. You could reach reference with a 300-500w amp. Compare that to the Tempest which would only need 50w... any decent receiver could output that.

post #3 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 PM

Liked: 20
On the Polks, check their ebay store before you commit...the prices there are tough to beat if they have what you're looking for:

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct/_i.html?_fcid=1&_localstpos=34677&_sc=1&_sid=686154689&_sop=16&_stpos=34677&gbr=1
post #4 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Looking at spl, the Polk Audio RTi A9 has a 90db sensitivity and the Tempest is 98db.The Polks can take quite of bit of power, 500w according to the manufacturer. You could reach reference with a 300-500w amp. Compare that to the Tempest which would only need 50w... any decent receiver could output that.

Based on sensitivity alone the tempests seem to blow away the Polks, but aren't there other things to consider that I'm missing.

BeeTL

Thanks for the heads up. I did a google search to make sure I was getting a great price on the A9s and the eBay website come up, but oddly enough, I couldn't find the A9s listed there. The price I would be getting the A9s can't be beat, but I'm wondering if the tempests would be better and less expensive yet (by about $100/speaker).

post #5 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
do you have a good subwoofer, if not are you getting one?
post #6 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I plan on building one of lilMike's f20

post #7 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 763
I have heard the polks and for movies the tempest would crush it. I own the polk rti a1 for my rears and the fusion alchemy destroys the polk. How is it better ? Plays way cleaner at reference levels , better dynamics and the waveguide makes a huge improvement if you don't have a perfect room. Once I finish my diy the polks go to my brother.
saginawjuggalo, Rebel975 and BeeTL like this.
post #8 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

I have heard the polks and for movies the tempest would crush it. I own the polk rti a1 for my rears and the fusion alchemy destroys the polk. How is it better ? Plays way cleaner at reference levels , better dynamics and the waveguide makes a huge improvement if you don't have a perfect room. Once I finish my diy the polks go to my brother.

That's encouraging...my first set is a pair of Fusion 8 Alchemys.

I will be A/B-ing them against my Polk RTi10s.

I expect to be ordering the Alchemy MTM shortly thereafter.

:)

post #9 of 41 Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I've always found the polks to be a tad bright. For commercial they are a good speaker for the money. I just put on money for nothing and played the first two minutes at 100dbs on my minions. Chilling !
Try that on your fusions and then the polks. Great song to show weakness eek.gif
post #10 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:

Thanks for the direct comparison. I have not seen to many people give opinion on such things.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have heard those Polks at the local HIFI store where my fiancé lives, and to be honest, I thought they sounded rather badly, especially compared to the DIY possibilities such as the Seos Tempest, and perhaps the Statement Monitors that I heard, which were absolutely amazing.
post #12 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 689
It's strange but you don't see many people give many opinions on comparisons. Half the time those that can are polite enough not to do it- for fear of upsetting another speaker designer or owners. The other half the time people are naturally inclined to just support their own purchase decisions so it's hardly objective or valuable.

Then most of the time you get guys like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTL View Post

That's encouraging...my first set is a pair of Fusion 8 Alchemys.

I will be A/B-ing them against my Polk RTi10s.

I expect to be ordering the Alchemy MTM shortly thereafter.

smile.gif

Say such things then seem to fall off the earth into a black hole never to report back. 90% of the folks never report back anything.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #13 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I put my entire Polk system on my local Craigslist yesterday with the hopes that I'll be able to (almost) finance a *pair* of Elusive 1099's! That will get me by until I can get a 3rd for a center channel and then build out a couple of Volt 10's for surrounds.

I am selling 2 Monitor 70's, 2 Monitor 30's, a CS2 center and a PSW505 sub. Fortunately, at least I've been able to move on from that sub with my 2 sealed SI 18"s (and 2 more to build boxes for still). But I can't wait to get my hands on some SEOS designs. I have never heard any but I'm dying to hear the differences coming from my Polks. smile.gif
post #14 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTL View Post

On the Polks, check their ebay store before you commit...the prices there are tough to beat if they have what you're looking for:

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Direct/_i.html?_fcid=1&_localstpos=34677&_sc=1&_sid=686154689&_sop=16&_stpos=34677&gbr=1

You do realize that stuff is refurb right? With only a 2 year warranty instead of 5? Besides, Newegg has almost identical pricing for new speakers with full warranty.

Not that any of the DIY guys care. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

I put my entire Polk system on my local Craigslist yesterday with the hopes that I'll be able to (almost) finance a *pair* of Elusive 1099's! That will get me by until I can get a 3rd for a center channel and then build out a couple of Volt 10's for surrounds.

I am selling 2 Monitor 70's, 2 Monitor 30's, a CS2 center and a PSW505 sub. Fortunately, at least I've been able to move on from that sub with my 2 sealed SI 18"s (and 2 more to build boxes for still). But I can't wait to get my hands on some SEOS designs. I have never heard any but I'm dying to hear the differences coming from my Polks. smile.gif

EVery person I talk to I let them know that every speaker in my system is for sale lol.

I will say though OP, if you choose the Polk setup, DO NOT SKIMP ON POWER. IF you plan on playing loud, like what was originally posted, the Tempest will take 50 W to reach reference while the Polk will take 300W he isn't kidding. You'll destroy your tweeters and clip the amp in your receiver if you try to play the Polks loudly off your AVR.
Source: Myself who insisted on using the AVR even after blowing the first set of tweeters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTiA9-BLACK-Tower-Loudspeaker-EACH-/390793645490?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5afd1dcdb2

That's the Poplk RTIa9 for $500 EACH. Add the fact that you need proper amplification to really get the most out of them and you're at $1230 (Inuke 3000 to get 300 RMS+ at 8 ohms).

Compare that with the Tempest $326 each, + 2 flat packs at $69 each. You're at $800 (796 actually). Then lets throw in some supplies to finish it and you're at at $900-1000.

Tempests are the better value every time. If you plan on playing it loud it's not even a contest.
saginawjuggalo likes this.
post #16 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Liked: 14
I can't comment on the tempests however I can give you my view of the polks.
I own the whole family smile.gif
RTI-A9 Mains
CSI-A6 center
RTI-A3 surrounds and surround backs
RTI-A1 for heights.

I have the A9's running off an Emotiva XPA-2 gen2.
The rest off Pioneer SC-77

I ran the mains for a while off the reciever. They were all bought new however I had some really good deals on them.
Not sure if "break in" is an accurate term, but for about the first month or so they sounded sort of bright when playing loud. This seemed to fade as time went on. Even my Father mentioned it to me. Now I feel they sound good. Power? Yes! If playing loudly you will benefit from additional amplification. The A3's seem fine off my receiver.
I do really like the sound. Movies sound great. (I listen mostly in the -10 to 0 range on my reciever). Plenty loud. If I could do it all over I would build my own speakers because I enjoy it and there is something about the pride of a self made project.
Mfusick likes this.
post #17 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I recently replaced a set of RTiA9s and a CSiA6 with 3 tempest 12s. I have not spent a great deal of time with the Tempests having recently completed the build, but will say thus far I am extremely pleased with the move. The Tempests offer a superior level of clarity and I feel are more accurate. Although I enjoyed the A9s I find the Tempest a large scale upgrade.
post #18 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

EVery person I talk to I let them know that every speaker in my system is for sale lol.

After less than 24 hours on craigslist, I sold my whole Polk system tonight! I'm now waiting for my chance at grabbing a pair of Elusive 1099's!
post #19 of 41 Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

After less than 24 hours on craigslist, I sold my whole Polk system tonight! I'm now waiting for my chance at grabbing a pair of Elusive 1099's!
Should have asked for more eek.gif
post #20 of 41 Old 03-28-2014, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Should have asked for more eek.gif

I got what I wanted for them. smile.gif Anyone can pick up the polks at great discount on Newegg all year long. I bought all of them during 2011 and 2012 when each set was on major sale at Newegg. 3 years of use cost me $130. Not too bad if you ask me!
post #21 of 41 Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

How much did you pay for them and how much did you sell Em for on Craigslist?
Never used it before but if you sold them that fast I might as well list all my speakers now lol. Then maybe I can get 2 elusive (dream) but maybe 2 6s and 2 volts lol.
post #22 of 41 Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It's strange but you don't see many people give many opinions on comparisons. Half the time those that can are polite enough not to do it- for fear of upsetting another speaker designer or owners. The other half the time people are naturally inclined to just support their own purchase decisions so it's hardly objective or valuable.

Then most of the time you get guys like this:
Say such things then seem to fall off the earth into a black hole never to report back. 90% of the folks never report back anything.

I'll be reporting back.

Patience, young grasshopper.

post #23 of 41 Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How much did you pay for them and how much did you sell Em for on Craigslist?
Never used it before but if you sold them that fast I might as well list all my speakers now lol. Then maybe I can get 2 elusive (dream) but maybe 2 6s and 2 volts lol.

I spent $730 total. Sold it all for $600. I used everything daily but kept everything mint. Got my money's worth and now I'm ready to move on. I've sold a bunch of stuff on my local Craigslist and have had really good luck. I'm just super careful about meeting up and the steps along the way.
post #24 of 41 Old 03-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

I will list everything tomorrow then and see if I can sell my Polk Monitor 70s lol. I've never used Craigslist before did how did you meet them to sell?
post #25 of 41 Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Just be cautious and meet in public places. I met the guy last night in the Home Depot parking lot and handed off the whole lot.
post #26 of 41 Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I sold my Polk Monitor 60's when I built Karma 10's. Now I'm selling Karma 10's to build Tempests or Sentinel v2's. It's a disease. It's a disease...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)

post #27 of 41 Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post

I sold my Polk Monitor 60's when I built Karma 10's. Now I'm selling Karma 10's to build Tempests or Sentinel v2's. It's a disease. It's a disease...

And how did you like the differences going from the Polks to the Karmas?
post #28 of 41 Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 454
The Karma-10's were designed to be a bit more laid back with some extra midbass thrown in. Room placement on the Karma's seemed to be pretty important depending on the amount of mid bass that was wanted.
post #29 of 41 Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

And how did you like the differences going from the Polks to the Karmas?

While I loved my Polk Monitor 60's (especially for the price), they are bright and lack in mid/lower bass. The Karma 10's are in a whole different league. Clear sound (I hear things I've never heard with familiar songs), no distortion at high db's (I can easily run @ reference), great mid bass (as Erich indicated), and paired with good subs they sound like a live concert for music, and theater-like for movies.

If these sound this good, I can't wait to hear the Tempests or Sentinels. biggrin.gif
Mfusick and dtsdig like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)

post #30 of 41 Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Just saying the Polk monitor line is not even in the same league as the RTI-A series or especially the LSIM. So I can easily see the Karmas being a leaps and bound upgrade over the monitors.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page