Snowed in, in Georgia? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Uhgg. Im snowed in the house and cant even work on my speaker cabinets because they are 10 miles up the road at my dads and the roads are froze solid. UHGG!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You're in the wrong part of Georgia...no snow here (Metter) smile.gif.
post #3 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post

Im west of Atlanta near Carrollton. Its real bad here. We are not used to this!
post #4 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike47 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post

Im west of Atlanta near Carrollton. Its real bad here. We are not used to this!

Encouraging words from Michigan: Buck up! ;-)

Smart people are spending more time indoors these days, i think. Nice to have a good AV system and friends to converse with.
post #5 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 AM

Liked: 10
I know. I live in Powder Springs and it took 5 1/2 hrs. to drive 19 miles from work. So many cars off the road, school buses stuck everywhere.
post #6 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep60 View Post

I know. I live in Powder Springs and it took 5 1/2 hrs. to drive 19 miles from work. So many cars off the road, school buses stuck everywhere.

When in Georgia I see road construction practices - grades, shoulders, etc. that appear to increase the potential negative impact of bad weather. Of course you probably don't have a big yard full of snowplows and salt at your DPW yard.

Also, driving briskly but safely on bad roads is partially a matter of practice and adaptation. So if slippery pavement is rare people do well to be more careful if they are not practiced up with it.
post #7 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

School buses? What in the world are they doing on the road in weather like this? eek.gif The school superintendent should be fired for putting children in danger like that.

FYI, -14 and dry in West Virginia. It's supposed to be 50 degrees warmer by tomorrow. And yes, school is closed.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #8 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post

School buses? What in the world are they doing on the road in weather like this? eek.gif The school superintendent should be fired for putting children in danger like that.

FYI, -14 and dry in West Virginia. It's supposed to be 50 degrees warmer by tomorrow. And yes, school is closed.

There was alot of kids that spent the night in stranded school buses on the side of the road. I'm pretty sure that heads will roll over this. We had plenty of warning of this storm.
post #9 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
School buses? What in the world are they doing on the road in weather like this?

Agreed. In South Georgia even if they predict snow they call off school. Very few here know how to drive slippery roads, and the few that do know to stay the heck off them for fear of the other drivers!
Of course in my 34 years having moved here from Northern Iowa I can only remember once where the snow didn't melt off the roads upon impact. Fortunately I was in Miami at the time.
post #10 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

When in Georgia I see road construction practices - grades, shoulders, etc. that appear to increase the potential negative impact of bad weather. Of course you probably don't have a big yard full of snowplows and salt at your DPW yard.

Also, driving briskly but safely on bad roads is partially a matter of practice and adaptation. So if slippery pavement is rare people do well to be more careful if they are not practiced up with it.

I just put my truck in 2nd gear and tractored all the way home from work yesterday, passing big 4WD trucks stuck in ditches. No gas and no brakes while driving.
post #11 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 AM

I am from Philly and lived in Colorado for 20 years. Out there they know how to clear roads and shutdown the highways. Here we run the Atlanta 500 twice a day in the morning and evening rush hours. In case you missed one. They can't drive on sunny days with dry roads but let it rain or in this case snow. And all bets are off. They drive the same 70 miles an hour and go CRASH.
post #12 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
A blizzard is God's way of telling you to take the day off. Kick back, chill out and enjoy it. cool.gif
thebuckaman likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #13 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I am from Philly and lived in Colorado for 20 years. Out there they know how to clear roads and shutdown the highways. Here we run the Atlanta 500 twice a day in the morning and evening rush hours. In case you missed one. They can't drive on sunny days with dry roads but let it rain or in this case snow. And all bets are off. They drive the same 70 miles an hour and go CRASH.

LOL!!! I know that true. I too used to live in Austin, TX (16 years) and now live in Colorado (18+ years / finally back) and I agree!! Here in Colorado, slippery / ice / snow and no shine your butt better be at work and school is open (even at -7 degrees)!

Love it!! Oh and I don't miss the winter days back South even when it rains or sprinkles the traffic flat out stinks!!

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #14 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Liked: 11
As much as I would like to make fun of you guys down there ( as I watch the snow fall here) I'm the first one to complain about any bit of heat/ humidity. Having said that I love to watch videos of people driving like lunatics in the southern States. Hopefully it wont last too long!
post #15 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 AM

They canceled my school yesterday JUST because of the cold temps. I was shocked... Today, we didn't have a 2 hour delay or anything. I ended up doing a ride along yesterday with the sheriff department. smile.gif
post #16 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genelec Man View Post

As much as I would like to make fun of you guys down there ( as I watch the snow fall here) I'm the first one to complain about any bit of heat/ humidity. Having said that I love to watch videos of people driving like lunatics in the southern States. Hopefully it wont last too long!
Yeah I can't help myself when I see southerners deal with snow. It's just plain hilarious. I hope nobody gets hurt, but besides that I'm laughing at the overall "panic" mode that sets in.

My build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Yea they call school here in western NY when its super cold as well, Its because a lot of students walk to school. because if you live withing a mile or 2 from the school there is no bus service. It was -9 today with a wind chill of like -20.

i still think its odd because it never happened in Maine where i grew up. We didnt call school unless there was over 12" of snow on the ground when the buses were supposed to go out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

A blizzard is God's way of telling you to take the day off. Kick back, chill out and enjoy it. cool.gif

That would be nice except I work for Piedmont hospital in IT. We really don;t have days off. It's 24 / 7. Patients come first. I am working form home now.
post #19 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Yea they call school here in western NY when its super cold as well, Its because a lot of students walk to school. because if you live withing a mile or 2 from the school there is no bus service. It was -9 today with a wind chill of like -20.

i still think its odd because it never happened in Maine where i grew up. We didnt call school unless there was over 12" of snow on the ground when the buses were supposed to go out

That's odd... I live less than a mile from my school and I can still ride the bus but I drive now. We don't have side walks though so maybe that's part of it (which is dumb because my school is one of the "best" in the state)... We've never called school off this much since I've been in high school. I think they've called off more school this January than they did in the past 3 years... Yesterday was our 6th day off and we've had um.. Like 5-7 2 hour delays.. We had 4 just last week and 1 this week. I don't think they should be calling it off as much. Now I graduate, walk across the stage and have to come back to school! eek.gif
post #20 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I lived in New Jersey until I was 12 (1981). I remember we had lots of snow, but I dont remember schools closing because of it. But of course they are way better prepared for it. I remember my dad had winter wheels and tires and summer wheels and tires for his cars.
post #21 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

Quote:

That's odd... I live less than a mile from my school and I can still ride the bus but I drive now. We don't have side walks though so maybe that's part of it (which is dumb because my school is one of the "best" in the state)... We've never called school off this much since I've been in high school. I think they've called off more school this January than they did in the past 3 years... Yesterday was our 6th day off and we've had um.. Like 5-7 2 hour delays.. We had 4 just last week and 1 this week. I don't think they should be calling it off as much. Now I graduate, walk across the stage and have to come back to school! eek.gif

prob varies by state but the Sidewalk part is correct. we have them everywhere. Few towns over where a friend lives the sidewalks dont go out as far, and its pretty comical watching the bus stop for the first 3 houses on the road and then nothing else

post #22 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Laugh it up Yankees, but I remember plenty of times when ya'll have gotten our southern ice/wet snow and wrecked all over the place and didn't know how to handle it. Atlanta got ice first then snow on top of it and that is dangerous and very hard to drive on no matter who you are or where you are!!! The weather forecast did not call for any snow or ice for north Alabama or Georgia but it hit us in less than an hour leaving very little time to react. I have driven in two feet of snow in DC with ease and had fun and two inches of snow/ice in NE Bama and it was a challenge in the same 4WD F-150 Ford truck with offroad tires...The ICE being the difference!

post #23 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:

prob varies by state but the Sidewalk part is correct. we have them everywhere. Few towns over where a friend lives the sidewalks dont go out as far, and its pretty comical watching the bus stop for the first 3 houses on the road and then nothing else

I wish we had sidewalks I'd walk more. I don't even have them in my neighborhood and they don't extend to the opposite side of the street the school is on. They only surround the schools. I can look out the window from my class and see a bus pick up a kid for our middle school (which is next to our high school.. well one of them we have two)
post #24 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 AM

Somebody needs to go outside and start building a snowman so we can justify this being in the DIY section. Build a subwoofer next to him. Hell build a whole home theater out there.
post #25 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 08:03 AM

Stuck in Lawrenceville GA. Work closed down. Just watched a guy in a pickup try 4 times before making it up the hill at my place. One time he spun completely around. A little FWD car blew right past him. Bet that pissed him off a bit. LOL
post #26 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike47 View Post

There was alot of kids that spent the night in stranded school buses on the side of the road. I'm pretty sure that heads will roll over this. We had plenty of warning of this storm.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/iced-in-students-seek-refuge-in-schools/nc58R/ Yep, not good here!!
post #27 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Buses? BUSES? When I was a kid we didn't ride no stinking buses. We walked. For me Jr. High was a mile. And that wasn't in the sticks, it was in Arlington, Mass, just outside Boston. Nowadays it seems that kids can't walk further than their line of sight. rolleyes.gif

post #28 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill,

i grew up nearly 20 miles from the closest gas station, the school was a solid 10 miles away.

it was almost 2 miles to the bus stop, my driveway was 3/4 of a mile long

post #29 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it was almost 2 miles to the bus stop, my driveway was 3/4 of a mile long
You get a pass, at least you walked those two miles. Where I live now the closest bus pickup point is a whopping two blocks from each school. Kids in New York City get more daily exercise than those in Laconia NH. eek.gif
If you go to Manhattan you notice that very few of the inhabitants are obese. That's because everyone walks everywhere. Even if you shorten a trip by taking the subway you have to walk the stairs to and from the station. Not that you don't see obesity, but they're the tourists. rolleyes.gif

post #30 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
75 and sunny in az...sorry, had to do it smile.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page