Inuke's on sale! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Inuke's on sale!
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 06:36 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Jonathan, in case you miss my PM, do you think the inuke 6000dsp could power all 6 of my upfront subs? It would be 3 per channel so 3 ohm load, not sure if the inuke can do that? How many watts per sub would that be? thanks

It probably would be ok at 3 ohms as long as you aren't pushing it hard. But recall that the amp is spec'd with a min of 4 ohms.

jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 06:54 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

Jonathan, in case you miss my PM, do you think the inuke 6000dsp could power all 6 of my upfront subs? It would be 3 per channel so 3 ohm load, not sure if the inuke can do that? How many watts per sub would that be? thanks

The voice coil(s) are rated at nominal load. The real impedance (that the amplifier sees) varies wildly and at any given frequency and based on enclosure type, etc.

For instance, for the nominal rated LMS-5400 with 3.78 Ohm coil, when loaded into the GJALLARHORN:

Courtesy of Data-Bass.com

Notice the impedance varies between 5 and 45 ohms. Each design and driver has a different curve. Chances are the real world load is more than then nominal rating just about everywhere.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 07:12 PM 02-10-2014
The 6000 isn't rated for three ohm use but I tend to think it would work for home theater use. It'd be the equivalent of running the iNuke DSP 3000 at 1.5 ohm. I think the worst that would happen would be a current limiting protection mechanism would fault and the amp might reboot or shutdown. The wild impedance curves of many different subs may mean that some four ohm subs would dip below four ohms depending on the frequency anyway. Behringer has to account for that and will have a little such tolerance built into their units. You might want to confirm with an engineer like Mrsmithers or Nathanj.

It would be plenty of power for your si at three subs per channel. Probably close to an actual 1000 watts to each sub. If you determine you are overloading the amp you could just buy a second, and just run two per channel.
carp's Avatar carp 08:05 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The 6000 isn't rated for three ohm use but I tend to think it would work for home theater use. It'd be the equivalent of running the iNuke DSP 3000 at 1.5 ohm. I think the worst that would happen would be a current limiting protection mechanism would fault and the amp might reboot or shutdown. The wild impedance curves of many different subs may mean that some four ohm subs would dip below four ohms depending on the frequency anyway. Behringer has to account for that and will have a little such tolerance built into their units. You might want to confirm with an engineer like Mrsmithers or Nathanj.

It would be plenty of power for your si at three subs per channel. Probably close to an actual 1000 watts to each sub. If you determine you are overloading the amp you could just buy a second, and just run two per channel.

Wouldn't it be the same as running 3 of my subs on a bridged inuke 3000 which would be 3 ohms not 1.5 right? I guess I could try that...

I already received my 2nd 3000dsp that I ordered from Musicians Friend on Saturday. I did not expect to get it until Wed, nice!
mbw23air's Avatar mbw23air 08:13 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

Sweetwater is already shipping, I got my call notification today for my dsp 6000 units. They seem to have pretty excellent customer service!

Yeah, I was surprised at their customer service. Called me to see if I had any questions after order was placed, called me after my inuke 600dsp arrived to make sure everything was ok and stated they have tech support in case of any questions/problems, and even included a little candy bag with amp....excuse the pun, but.....sweet! smile.gif

Mike
carp's Avatar carp 08:20 PM 02-10-2014
Ok, so the 6000 says it has 3000 watts per channel in 4 ohms. Archaea I think you said the inukes test out at 2/3rds their rated wattage so really more like 2000 watts in 4 ohms x 2 channels. So each driver would get 670 ish watts which is real similar to what I get now. However 3 ohms would mean more power correct? Is that how you get the 1000 watts per driver?

So tempting to buy on now especially since Musician's Friends will deliver it to my house before I finish typing this sentence. smile.gif

How will I control 3 different inuke dsp programs my my laptop at the same time? Did you ever try to control both of your inukes separately from your laptop?
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 08:56 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't it be the same as running 3 of my subs on a bridged inuke 3000 which would be 3 ohms not 1.5 right? I guess I could try that...

I already received my 2nd 3000dsp that I ordered from Musicians Friend on Saturday. I did not expect to get it until Wed, nice!

the 1.5 ohms I referenced in my post was referring to using the DSP 3000 amp rated for 2 ohm per channel with 1.5 ohm nominal impedance subs on each channel. I wasn't really referring to your situation in particular - just that the DSP 6000 is two iNuke 3000's bridged in the same chasis as I understand it - so basically it would be identical to if you put the same three subs on one of your DSP 3000s in bridge mode. Because your DSP 3000 is essentially 1/2 of a DSP 6000. The DSP 3000 isn't officially rated for 3 ohm bridged either - just four ohm, so you really aren't doing anything different there.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 09:02 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

Ok, so the 6000 says it has 3000 watts per channel in 4 ohms. Archaea I think you said the inukes test out at 2/3rds their rated wattage so really more like 2000 watts in 4 ohms x 2 channels. So each driver would get 670 ish watts which is real similar to what I get now. However 3 ohms would mean more power correct? Is that how you get the 1000 watts per driver?

So tempting to buy on now especially since Musician's Friends will deliver it to my house before I finish typing this sentence. smile.gif

How will I control 3 different inuke dsp programs my my laptop at the same time? Did you ever try to control both of your inukes separately from your laptop?

I didn't leave the DSPs plugged in all the time - I just plugged one in at a time since I only had a single USB cable run to my rack, so I'm not sure how you'd select the first or second app with the app. You'll have to play with that if you want to leave them always connected via USB to the computer. You know you can name the amps though - so you'll easily know which DSP you are connected to. The amp I sold you is called Captivator (after my subs). You can rename it in the software if you like.

Yeah 1000 watts was a guess. The DSP 6000 tests out at 2100 watts per channel at 4ohm from what I've read. So at 3ohm it could be as much as 50% more (maybe) So that's where I got the 1,000ish for each of three subs when the total load is 3 ohm. Of course it might not make that much power because it might go into protect mode when it starts to exceed the 2100 it makes in 4ohm. I really don't know. Either way - - it won't make much difference in max output. 2100 watts/3 subs is still 700 watts per sub which is a smidge more than your CV-5000 is giving them now at 2500 watts/4 subs. And the difference between 700 and 1000 watts about 1.5 dB since a full 3dB requires a doubling of power.
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 06:25 AM 02-11-2014
I found a deal on a brand new iNuke1000dsp for $190. Is that a fairly good deal? I know that these retail for almost $300 each.
Trepidati0n's Avatar Trepidati0n 06:58 AM 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I found a deal on a brand new iNuke1000dsp for $190. Is that a fairly good deal? I know that these retail for almost $300 each.

About $10 cheaper that what sweetwater was selling. They have free-shipping and good CS. Need to figure out if the other place offers the same or if the $10 is important to you.
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 09:36 AM 02-11-2014
+1

I don't know it it is worth saving $10 on.
Unless you are on a tight budget, I am not sure why you wouldn't at least opt for the 3000 if not the 6000.

It's all about headroom. Get way more than you think you need.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 10:38 AM 02-11-2014
I decided to buy these fans this go round. They are inexpensive and seem to be a good ratio of 28 CFM for 15 dBa rating. I bought four for my iNuke DSP 6000 units and paid $6.79 shipped for each.

ENERMAX TB SILENCE UCTB8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214016

Note the reviews on that newegg seem to be related to the 120mm LED version by mistake.

Silent PC Review says 80mm Enermax are a reliable and trusted brand.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 10:58 AM 02-11-2014
Quote:

I decided to buy these fans this go round. They are inexpensive and seem to be a good ratio of 28 CFM for 15 dBa rating. I bought four for my iNuke DSP 6000 units and paid $6.79 shipped for each.

ENERMAX TB SILENCE UCTB8

Note the reviews on that newegg seem to be related to the 120mm LED version by mistake.

Good luck! Let me know how that turns out. I might decide to mod my current nu4 or any other iNuke's I get down the road.

Ugh. I really need to do something about my CV5k. redface.gif
Ryan Flynn's Avatar Ryan Flynn 11:39 AM 02-11-2014
Quote:

ENERMAX TB SILENCE UCTB8

I just. Read that the stock fan is rated at 55cfm or thereabouts...
corradizo's Avatar corradizo 04:38 PM 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Yeah, I was surprised at their customer service. Called me to see if I had any questions after order was placed, called me after my inuke 600dsp arrived to make sure everything was ok and stated they have tech support in case of any questions/problems, and even included a little candy bag with amp....excuse the pun, but.....sweet! smile.gif

Mike

Don't forget the mints!
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 04:46 PM 02-11-2014
Quote:

The Vantec Stealth fan I linked earlier is both very quiet and works perfectly - having modded a couple iNuke's with this fan - I can attest. It's a direct swap out and quiet.

Hi Archaea, first off, thanks for all the posting you do here at AVS sharing your knowledge with the community...smile.gif

I ordered the Vantec fan that you linked and I wanted to double check as the connector on the stock fan is different from the connector on the Vantec:

The connector on the right is the stock fan and the one on the left is the Vantec fan. I pulled the entire connector off of the two pins and slid the Vantec on but it is kind of loose. Did the connector on your 3000DSP look like above? I used a tiny, tiny amount of Quake Hold on the PCB and that helped secure the oversize connector and the fan seems to work. I have the stock fan and I can quickly change it back if I need to use the warranty.

I think you are trying some different fans now??

Thanks again for any insight!
dwaleke 04:57 PM 02-11-2014
That's how you do it. Not as tight as the stock connector but works good.
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 05:11 PM 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

That's how you do it. Not as tight as the stock connector but works good.

Thanks!! cool.gif
Michael Mitten's Avatar Michael Mitten 05:12 PM 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Mike
That's great to hear. I'll order my amp from them.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 05:47 PM 02-11-2014
Laugsbach,
The little white mating connector on the inukes motherboard pcb should also easily slide off the two pins. One the three inukes I've modded it was hot glued together so when I gently pulled on the stock fans wires the two white connector pieces slid off as one and I was left with the two bare metal connections. I just slid the new fan connector down flush with the motherboard and it was plenty secure without any adhesive. If the small white base connector still resides on your motherboard you can probably remove it with a needlenose pliers and thus slide the new connector down futher for a more secure fit.

Otherwise, yes that looks right. You don't use the yellow rpm sensor wire.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 05:50 PM 02-11-2014
The fan from noctua has four leads. Yellow is positive and black negative .
carp's Avatar carp 06:22 PM 02-11-2014
There goes my idea of replacing my CV 5000 with an Inuke 6000dsp.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24344943

Oh well.... owning 2 inukes is probably enough anyway. smile.gif
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 08:18 PM 02-11-2014
Quote:

I just slid the new fan connector down flush with the motherboard...

Thanks again for your reply...

My only concern was that the connector on the replacement was a bit wider than the area set aside for the connection of the stock fan and was bumping up on another component on the PCB...the tiny amount of Quake Hold seemed to help keep the connector from rocking and keeping it more level and secure. I am being a bit anal I guess...redface.gif

I am looking forward to your comments on the others fan you just ordered...
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 07:03 AM 02-12-2014
Quote:

There goes my idea of replacing my CV 5000 with an Inuke 6000dsp.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517353/inuke-vs-cv-5000#post_24344943

Oh well.... owning 2 inukes is probably enough anyway. smile.gif

Read a couple posts further down. The comparo might be a little skewed with not running both channels on the CV.
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 07:24 AM 02-12-2014
Well, my 6000DSP arrived yesterday evening.

I rewired my LMS's coils from 1 ohm to 4 ohm and swapped out my CE4000. At first test I almost bottomed my LMS due to having the inputs/outputs transposed, I thought the wrath of god came down! It was so loud I got the bejeesus scared out of me! That was almost a very costly mistake. eek.gif
After a reasonable effort to get things level matched, it seems like a good trade off. The CE definitely holds its own and is no slouch despite being down close to a 1000w at 4 ohm or at least in theory.
I could definitely tell the difference in power with my shakers, which I believe I have them wired to present an ~8 ohm load. I had to dial them back 12 db right off the bat to get the levels close.

Damn, those LEDs are bright though! I didn't find the fans all that loud when 13-14' away and in an open backed cabinet, but I will definitely be doing the fan swap if I keep it. There is quite a bit of air flow exiting the front so a small reduction should matter little.
The thing is so small and light that it feels like a toy! I think it is like 20lbs lighter, and a lot shallower. It is a huge space saver when compared to the CE! Two iNukes would barely be larger than one CE and a third less weight!

It's a pity you can't bridge these guys but ~2100+ watts at 4 ohm is impressive for something this small and light. The DSP is a lot like the DCX so pretty straightforward and simple to use, albeit I have no plans/needs to use it at the moment.

A ran a few more scenes doing some A/B testing and I couldn't detect any glaring differences in audio quality. At first it seemed like the CE had a little more fullness (for lack of a better descriptor) at the very bottom end, but that may have been a placebo. I tested a few more times and they sounded 99% the same that I could tell. I hope to do some additional testing this weekend, time permitting.
However, it looks like the iNuke is a hell of a deal for under $400! I might just pick up another and not look back....or wait for the 12000 despite the fact that I surely don't need it!
noah katz's Avatar noah katz 04:29 PM 02-12-2014
anyone know how long the sale will last?
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 04:35 PM 02-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

anyone know how long the sale will last?

I wish I did. I missed the follow up call or I would have asked. The customer service over the top good!

I might have to grab another sooner rather than later. eek.gif
H8TWRK's Avatar H8TWRK 04:49 PM 02-12-2014
I think the current price is gonna be the new price as in price drop. I like it biggrin.gif
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 05:07 PM 02-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8TWRK View Post

I think the current price is gonna be the new price as in price drop. I like it biggrin.gif

That would be sweet for all those upcoming projects! It really helps those take the plunge into DIY. cool.gif
Archaea's Avatar Archaea 05:09 PM 02-12-2014
If so its weird no other vendors have dropped their price.
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop