My ported UXL-18 in 9.9cf (x2) - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 126 Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Not much to report. I have been gone on a long business trip. I am patiently waiting for my second UXL. However, before I left, we watched the latest Thor movie. I was more impressed with my UXL than I was with the movie, but it did have a lot of low bass. My son would look over at me at certain points in the movie with this giddy grin on his face. He is totally into the subs now. It makes these family movie nights much more of an experience now. I can't wait for my second one. I still have very conservative settings for now. Laugsbach will be coming over with his equipment in a few weeks to dial it into my room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 04-14-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Time to bump this thread...smile.gif

I have two trips to Nick's place under my belt and I have to say that working with Nick is the reason I like this forum....it is so cool to meet super nice people that share my love of all things audio & video. First, Nick's theater room located in a beautiful, open basement is stunning...pictures do not do this space justice! The ported boxes he built are very well done and once again, pictures don't represent how big these guys are...Nick has done a very good job in designing as big of a box as he could get away with and they blend in perfectly to the rest of the space.

I brought along my OmniMic and while Nick had his laptop connected to the iNuke with the DSP Remote Software, I was measuring sweeps with the OM software. This allowed us to make real time changes in the DSP settings and see how it graphed at his master LP. When Nick gets back from his business trip, I will get the DSP settings and post the screen shots. We were able to get a very good FR and have settings in place to protect the drivers.

I was very impressed with how much energy these two subs produced in Nick's large, open space...the UXL-18 drivers are the real deal and make the demo scenes we watched come alive. There was no port noise during any of the demo scenes and even though Nick's system is on a concrete floor, I was able to feel a decent amount of tactile sensation on his large sofa.

Congrats Nick! Excellent work and you should be so very proud of what you have built...cool.gifcool.gif
post #123 of 126 Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8doggr View Post

Thank you for all the suggestions. No shortage of experience on this forum...smile.gif I am so happy that I was able to resolve the issue without building another cabinet. I loaded the driver in the cabinet this morning. And because we all love pics.....

my sub before....

My sub after....

I will attempt to hook it up later today or tomorrow

So, this looks good. Maybe I'll copy!
post #124 of 126 Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

So, this looks good. Maybe I'll copy!

HO going to go ported now? eek.gif
post #125 of 126 Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

HO going to go ported now? eek.gif

Yeah, don't tell Archaea. My next house (working on plans) will likely have quite a bit larger basement, and I'm aiming to do a theater similar to "The Getaway". So, it will be open to the rest of the large basement, and I'm thinking of doing 2 horns and 2 ported using the UXL-18 drivers. Or some combination.

Still looking at all the threads as I have about a year until I'd start on them..... smile.gif
post #126 of 126 Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

So, it will be open to the rest of the large basement, and I'm thinking of doing 2 horns and 2 ported using the UXL-18 drivers. Or some combination.

Yeah...in your new basement horns and/or large ported is the way to go.

Nick's has a theater room space around 3000cf but it is open to the rest of his basement...you will be very happy with the UXL drivers in a horn/ported box!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page