8x 18" LMS 5400 Ultras Sealed to 27 Cube 15hz Ported Build - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #511 of 606 Old 07-06-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
I will post updates on my IB thread but I will be honest and I will run them at the same levels. If I play one much louder it would be obviously better.
Reddig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 606 Old 07-07-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Meh, seen better... (Joke)

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #513 of 606 Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
Testing youtube 60fps for this vid. Some excursion and port velocity and slomo from the build.

Make sure to select 720p60

Last edited by notnyt; 10-30-2014 at 06:56 PM.

post #514 of 606 Old 10-30-2014, 08:57 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 919
8x 18" LMS 5400 Ultras Sealed to 27 Cube 15hz Ported Build

Awesome. I love it.

The part when it slowly goes from slomo to normal is great. I don't think I'm working my ultras enough - I have never seen them move that much, well once and I though I was going to break them.

Last edited by d_c; 10-30-2014 at 09:00 PM.
post #515 of 606 Old 10-30-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 423
In slow-mo it looks like the cone rocks a little from top to bottom. Is that an illusion? Or because the cone is perpendicular to the ground and sags a bit?
post #516 of 606 Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
In slow-mo it looks like the cone rocks a little from top to bottom. Is that an illusion? Or because the cone is perpendicular to the ground and sags a bit?
rolling shutter.
post #517 of 606 Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Make sure to select 720p60
Did not see any '60' options but I love the slo-mo.
post #518 of 606 Old 10-31-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
I love that sub Notnyt! Awesome. Do you know how clean that 10hz is since it is 4 hz under tune?

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
post #519 of 606 Old 12-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Awesome video.

27 cube, so 13.5 net volume pr driver and 55" slottet port? I am considering rebuilding my LMS ported.
post #520 of 606 Old 12-23-2015, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

yes, 13.5 cubic foot internal volume per driver. this does not include the port. The LMS are monsters in ported enclosures. It's so far beyond sealed.
post #521 of 606 Old 12-23-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 344
WHOA!

Your screen look so small in comparison. My wife would file for divorce immediately.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
post #522 of 606 Old 12-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
yes, 13.5 cubic foot internal volume per driver. this does not include the port. The LMS are monsters in ported enclosures. It's so far beyond sealed.
OK yes so port volume is around 2.5 cf?

I can manage 34" wide and 20" deep but unlimited height so around 50" high.
post #523 of 606 Old 12-23-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
WHOA!

Your screen look so small in comparison. My wife would file for divorce immediately.
Rofl, its 126" from corner to corner.
post #524 of 606 Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
OK yes so port volume is around 2.5 cf?

I can manage 34" wide and 20" deep but unlimited height so around 50" high.
Model it out in WinISD Make sure to take the displacement of the wood and the port into consideration.
post #525 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
WHOA!

My wife wouldn't file for divorce, she would take over our closet with nothing but Chanel insuring that I no longer have access to enough money in order to do anything like this again. She would also hold this over me such that any time I complain about anything she does or wants to do, reminding me that I have 8 giant subwoofers going floor to ceiling in a space that only I can use. The fact that I'm even allowed to have my own personal room is enough of a big deal. I can only hope that some day we can come to an understanding. I've had subwoofer envy since these were first build and displayed on this forum.
post #526 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I'm single, feeling that speaker function outweighs form. Maybe that's why I'm single. 440lb subs are quite normal in my mind.
notnyt likes this.
post #527 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoes12 View Post
My wife wouldn't file for divorce, she would take over our closet with nothing but Chanel insuring that I no longer have access to enough money in order to do anything like this again. She would also hold this over me such that any time I complain about anything she does or wants to do, reminding me that I have 8 giant subwoofers going floor to ceiling in a space that only I can use. The fact that I'm even allowed to have my own personal room is enough of a big deal. I can only hope that some day we can come to an understanding. I've had subwoofer envy since these were first build and displayed on this forum.
damn, why would you subject yourself to this?
post #528 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 12:35 PM

While I don't have 440lb subwoofers, I do have very large and capable main speakers and certainly a lot of subwoofer compared to the average guy. This never prevented my wife from marrying me or stood between me and a relationship. The issue is more that this hobby is expensive at this level and eats up resources that may be better put elsewhere. For my wife, it very much IS NOT for every dollar I spend on me she wants a dollar spent on her. It's much more practical, we have a 5 bedroom house and an unfinished basement. We have one child but want and expect to have more. We have a modest good living, but nothing great. For every dollar I spend on this hobby, it's a dollar that could be spent on something for the kids, something for us as a family, for a vacation, for retirement, for new cars, etc. Sometimes that is ok, but it all has to be balanced. Dedicating a room to my theater and another to my office leaves us with 3 bedrooms. That makes building out the basement into a theater space sensible, but even if I did all the work myself (which I cant do) the cost is high enough to, again, have to be balanced against other needs for that same money. The point being, I can never win this disagreement with my wife because ultimately she is right. Instead we both have decided to look at this as an expensive hobby that makes me happy, but that happiness cannot be at the expense of the family as a whole. If I want more bigger better subwoofers, There needs to be a good justification for such an expense, and not just because I want it or it would be cool.

My current system consists of two subwoofers which are 4th order bandpass designs each containing two 12" B&C drivers. Each is capable of around 125 db's at say 65hz, but only 106db's at 20hz. The 40hz on down is covered by two subwoofers each containing two 12" Dayton RS woofers. Sealed, so while I get more than 115db's total from those two, I think porting would have been a better option. Given that my theater is like 12' by 15' (i.e. tiny), this is probably enough I should be happy, but I'll be totally honest in saying I wish I had a room built out in the basement with eight 18" subwoofers in very large ported boxes. I want 15hz bass at levels I can truly feel, Which I'm sure is why NotNyt built his, and why you have such large subwoofers. I've actually used NotNyt's pictures here as examples for when people tell me I'm nuts. I tell them it can get much worse.
post #529 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
If you saw my wife you would understand! We had a date for the first time since our daughter was born just a little while ago. Not only was just about every man in the restaurant staring at her, one in particular fell out of his seat and was punched by his wife for looking a little too much. If you know the Jimmy Soul song, If you want to be happy... I didn't listen to that song at all, and I'm totally happy.
post #530 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you saw my wife you would understand! We had a date for the first time since our daughter was born just a little while ago. Not only was just about every man in the restaurant staring at her, one in particular fell out of his seat and was punched by his wife for looking a little too much. If you know the Jimmy Soul song, If you want to be happy... I didn't listen to that song at all, and I'm totally happy.
The choices we make

also, rule #1 . pics lol.
kingpin111 likes this.

Last edited by notnyt; 12-24-2015 at 01:21 PM.
post #531 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While I don't have 440lb subwoofers, I do have very large and capable main speakers and certainly a lot of subwoofer compared to the average guy. This never prevented my wife from marrying me or stood between me and a relationship. The issue is more that this hobby is expensive at this level and eats up resources that may be better put elsewhere. For my wife, it very much IS NOT for every dollar I spend on me she wants a dollar spent on her. It's much more practical, we have a 5 bedroom house and an unfinished basement. We have one child but want and expect to have more. We have a modest good living, but nothing great. For every dollar I spend on this hobby, it's a dollar that could be spent on something for the kids, something for us as a family, for a vacation, for retirement, for new cars, etc. Sometimes that is ok, but it all has to be balanced. Dedicating a room to my theater and another to my office leaves us with 3 bedrooms. That makes building out the basement into a theater space sensible, but even if I did all the work myself (which I cant do) the cost is high enough to, again, have to be balanced against other needs for that same money. The point being, I can never win this disagreement with my wife because ultimately she is right. Instead we both have decided to look at this as an expensive hobby that makes me happy, but that happiness cannot be at the expense of the family as a whole. If I want more bigger better subwoofers, There needs to be a good justification for such an expense, and not just because I want it or it would be cool.

My current system consists of two subwoofers which are 4th order bandpass designs each containing two 12" B&C drivers. Each is capable of around 125 db's at say 65hz, but only 106db's at 20hz. The 40hz on down is covered by two subwoofers each containing two 12" Dayton RS woofers. Sealed, so while I get more than 115db's total from those two, I think porting would have been a better option. Given that my theater is like 12' by 15' (i.e. tiny), this is probably enough I should be happy, but I'll be totally honest in saying I wish I had a room built out in the basement with eight 18" subwoofers in very large ported boxes. I want 15hz bass at levels I can truly feel, Which I'm sure is why NotNyt built his, and why you have such large subwoofers. I've actually used NotNyt's pictures here as examples for when people tell me I'm nuts. I tell them it can get much worse.
Haha, glad to be of service
post #532 of 606 Old 12-24-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
I'm single, feeling that speaker function outweighs form. Maybe that's why I'm single. 440lb subs are quite normal in my mind.
Quote:
Quote:
Haha, glad to be of service
This is why I love this forum! It makes me realize that I am not in a universe all by myself!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
post #533 of 606 Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but this one's worth another look, I'm sure I have a couple questions for notnyt, if you don't mind? I am wondering if you are still glad you made the switch?

Did you make the switch more for movies or do you think it made music more enjoyable as well?

For music did you find that kick drums/bass guitar is still solid? Say listening to Metallica "One" at full tilt, are the speakers still controlled or does it get muddy or sloppy? Does it still have the impact that hits you in the chest? Would you say it's more now with ported?

If you are listening to a sweep, (this is probably a dumb question, since its eq'd flat) is it pretty even or does it only pressurize once you hit the lower tuning frequencies?

Your room measure 24 *25* 8, is that correct? Does it open to another room or is it completely enclosed? Could you share a picture of the back of the room?
post #534 of 606 Old 01-20-2016, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoryder View Post
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but this one's worth another look, I'm sure I have a couple questions for notnyt, if you don't mind? I am wondering if you are still glad you made the switch?

Did you make the switch more for movies or do you think it made music more enjoyable as well?

For music did you find that kick drums/bass guitar is still solid? Say listening to Metallica "One" at full tilt, are the speakers still controlled or does it get muddy or sloppy? Does it still have the impact that hits you in the chest? Would you say it's more now with ported?

If you are listening to a sweep, (this is probably a dumb question, since its eq'd flat) is it pretty even or does it only pressurize once you hit the lower tuning frequencies?

Your room measure 24 *25* 8, is that correct? Does it open to another room or is it completely enclosed? Could you share a picture of the back of the room?
The room is open to 10k cubic feet. I'm still glad I made the switch, and would not run sealed again unless I was tight on space or in a much smaller room on a suspended floor. It's better for music and movies. I still have decent output at 10hz and a bit below. It's -3db around 10hz in room, so yeah, plenty of pressure. I felt it out in my garage when the wife turned on the xbox360 last night, and it wasn't even loud.

There's nothing sloppy about it, but that's more to do with the amps (damping factor) and the drivers (cms). The whole "ported subs are sloppy" thing is mostly due to poorly designed low grade subs. Total rubbish.

Here is an impulse response from sealed, and one from ported. You can guess at which is which.

post #535 of 606 Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, total noob here. Been lurking for a while, researching for my home theater build. Can someone explain to me why this many speakers and subwoofers are necessary?

Thanks
post #536 of 606 Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by _captainawesome_ View Post
Hello, total noob here. Been lurking for a while, researching for my home theater build. Can someone explain to me why this many speakers and subwoofers are necessary?

Thanks
Not at all necessary. Just LOTS of fun! AVS in general (and the diy forum in particular) have many examples of wondrous overkill.
post #537 of 606 Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3547 Post(s)
Liked: 2861
Quote:

Thanks
I'd like to start by welcoming you out of the shadows. I would then like to congratulate you on taking your first step to your unbeknownst downfall. You may start with small plans, but by the time that room is complete, you'll have succumbed to the insatiable appetite for moar bass... Be careful new friend, it's a slippery slope

Modesty and conservative systems ain't what we are about 'round here fella
post #538 of 606 Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
post #539 of 606 Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Thanks
Welcome. From the Mitten huh? I heard there is a sad little team up there known as TTUN. Go Buckeyes!
post #540 of 606 Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 385
All I have until I build more cabinets (just moved, finally single so...) are 2 PA460 mid bass modules in Micro Marty cabinets (not exactly, but think 22x22x22), and folks come over and gawk/squeal at the size of them, and talk about how huge they are.....I'm perfectly aware of how puny and weak they are, but I built them at the other house for midbass/music mostly to go with my bass-anemic Pures....and they work great for that, and would wallop many more expensive "subwoofers" while being powered by a lowly iNuke6K just loafing along.
This is what forums like this are for...drag racing/performance, and many on here have such ridiculous systems that it would blow the mind of the average person that LOVES loud clear music/movies...nevermind average folk, they'd run scared if they actually even SAW said systems, nevermind actually heard them do their thing.

My new neighbors came over in less than a week complaining about the constant "thumping"....
These are only midbass modules that dive off a cliff under 30hz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400