8x 18" LMS 5400 Ultras Sealed to 27 Cube 15hz Ported Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2 3  4  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > 8x 18" LMS 5400 Ultras Sealed to 27 Cube 15hz Ported Build
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 02:33 AM 02-12-2014
2SrCUwM.jpg?1

#3 all cut and ready for assembly

jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 08:38 AM 02-12-2014
Go not!

You are on a roll now!
Shan87's Avatar Shan87 09:12 AM 02-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

2SrCUwM.jpg?1

#3 all cut and ready for assembly

Random Opitma... usually equals drag car/toy that doesn't get used in the winter sitting some where also.

How does 4 of the ported subs sound compared to the all 8 sealed you were used to?
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 09:14 AM 02-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan87 View Post

Random Opitma... usually equals drag car

yep wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan87 View Post

How does 4 of the ported subs sound compared to the all 8 sealed you were used to?

better, more visceral/tactile, feel it in the chest more.
BeerParty's Avatar BeerParty 02:18 PM 02-13-2014
Quick question...

Since the ported boxes are so much larger and heavier, why not build singles and stack them up instead? I know it would use more wood, but moving and lifting a 400 pound box sounds dangerous. I realize that you will only have to move then a couple of times, and that you have help, but still.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 09:11 PM 02-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Quick question...

Since the ported boxes are so much larger and heavier, why not build singles and stack them up instead? I know it would use more wood, but moving and lifting a 400 pound box sounds dangerous. I realize that you will only have to move then a couple of times, and that you have help, but still.

Because you're not going to shave that much weight, what's 50 lbs out of 400? Stacking that high I'd rather have only two for stability as well.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 04:15 AM 02-14-2014
Some progress...
ouTDaiIl.jpg
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 05:45 AM 02-14-2014
Not long now!
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 06:46 AM 02-16-2014
been busy, slow progress, only got an hour or two tonight.. cut the woofer holes and some bracing

om4VVRVl.jpg
Fatshaft's Avatar Fatshaft 07:55 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:

been busy, slow progress, only got an hour or two tonight.. cut the woofer holes and some bracing

I know how painful that must be...
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 11:59 PM 02-16-2014
progress...

bracing
PLyIlXPl.jpg

yay warped wood
Uv2SypCl.jpg

and assembled
MGEo6HAl.jpg
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 01:09 AM 02-17-2014
Great progress!
BlindSet's Avatar BlindSet 08:11 AM 02-17-2014
What's your strategy with the bracing? More specifically I see that you have full length members that seem to be resting on 1 inch blocks. Are you just gluing everything at the end points and the blocks are for more surface area?
carp's Avatar carp 10:30 AM 02-17-2014
Not,

I've been thinking about your subjective impressions of the ported box and the fact that it's more punchy in the chest etc. Could it be that the fact that you only have subs on one side of the room have caused a change in the frequency response and this could be responsible for your impressions? Possibly a boost in the 60-80 hz range or something?

I'm asking because I have been getting curious myself about all these marty sub (ported) builds and may decide to make a change myself at some point.

I have owned ported JTR Captivators in the past and when I made the switch to the sealed Seaton Submersives the differences I noticed were that the Seaton's were tighter punchier for music and the JTR's had more low end couch shake with movies - makes sense because they would have had more output around the 20hz tuning. Having subs that do both would be ideal, and you have that! cool.gif

When you get them all built and in the same spots as the sealed setup you'll find out for sure. Did you take measurements of the first box from the main LP to see if maybe it had a peak around 60-80 hz or something?

I have a feeling that a change in the response is NOT responsible for what you are experiencing - I just wanted to make sure since I'm thinking about making a change myself. If you already posted graphs that show the response is similar up top between ported and sealed and I missed it I apologize.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 02:27 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet View Post

What's your strategy with the bracing? More specifically I see that you have full length members that seem to be resting on 1 inch blocks. Are you just gluing everything at the end points and the blocks are for more surface area?

The blocks provide a surface for me to nail the braces to. It also provides more surface area for glue and helps keep the bracing in place when installing. Just gluing the end of the strip to the box isn't very secure, as I found out in the first build.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 02:40 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Not,

I've been thinking about your subjective impressions of the ported box and the fact that it's more punchy in the chest etc. Could it be that the fact that you only have subs on one side of the room have caused a change in the frequency response and this could be responsible for your impressions? Possibly a boost in the 60-80 hz range or something?

I'm asking because I have been getting curious myself about all these marty sub (ported) builds and may decide to make a change myself at some point.

I have owned ported JTR Captivators in the past and when I made the switch to the sealed Seaton Submersives the differences I noticed were that the Seaton's were tighter punchier for music and the JTR's had more low end couch shake with movies - makes sense because they would have had more output around the 20hz tuning. Having subs that do both would be ideal, and you have that! cool.gif

When you get them all built and in the same spots as the sealed setup you'll find out for sure. Did you take measurements of the first box from the main LP to see if maybe it had a peak around 60-80 hz or something?

I have a feeling that a change in the response is NOT responsible for what you are experiencing - I just wanted to make sure since I'm thinking about making a change myself. If you already posted graphs that show the response is similar up top between ported and sealed and I missed it I apologize.

I tested with the subs side-by-side after eq. Sealed units by their nature will have more of a peak around 50-60hz. Not sure how you were testing or what was done.
carp's Avatar carp 02:46 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:

I tested with the subs side-by-side after eq. Sealed units by their nature will have more of a peak around 50-60hz. Not sure how you were testing or what was done.

Similar, I stacked one on top of another. Haha, that's not an option in your case. biggrin.gifcool.gif

I didn't have an omnimic back then so I couldn't compare frequency responses.

Like I said, I don't think diferent freq response what's going on here. I think it's more related to what Dom has been talking about in his thread with ported vs. sealed.

I get the feeling that the increased punchiness/feel/whatever is quite obvious for you and not just from one point in the room - I think you said your wife noticed it too. I'm just kind of thinking aloud here as I think of maybe going back to ported like you have... and want to explore all possibilities for the perceived differences.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 02:50 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Similar, I stacked one on top of another. Haha, that's not an option in your case. biggrin.gifcool.gif

I didn't have an omnimic back then so I couldn't compare frequency responses.

Like I said, I don't think diferent freq response what's going on here. I think it's more related to what Dom has been talking about in his thread with ported vs. sealed.

I get the feeling that the increased punchiness/feel/whatever is quite obvious for you and not just from one point in the room - I think you said your wife noticed it too. I'm just kind of thinking aloud here as I think of maybe going back to ported like you have... and want to explore all possibilities for the perceived differences.

I wouldn't go ported without transducers, but with transducers... oh my.. its seriously awesome.

If you want to experiment, it's not too pricey, just some wood. Build one of the design you like setup and EQ for it, and swap back and forth with sealed.
FOH's Avatar FOH 03:02 PM 02-17-2014
Carp, I've shared this with notnyt, but I believe its a product of greater wavelaunch coherence, more ideal acoustic summation ... yielding less smeared higher peak energy packet.

I've yet to read the thread you referenced, sounds interesting.
carp's Avatar carp 03:09 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Carp, I've shared this with notnyt, but I believe its a product of greater wavelaunch coherence, more ideal acoustic summation ... yielding less smeared higher peak energy packet.

I've yet to read the thread you referenced, sounds interesting.

I believe it's on Dom's ULF score thread let me look.
carp's Avatar carp 03:14 PM 02-17-2014
Here is an example.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488059/your-home-theater-ulf-score/1530#post_24269289

There is a lot more discussion here and there throughout the last half of the thread, lots of other stuff to wade through but one of the topics is why ported gave so much more tactile feel than sealed and also why nearfield does the same as a sub across the room even though both could be calibrated to the same spl at the seats. Interesting thread for sure.
N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 04:25 PM 02-17-2014
With my G-horns and sealed 21's, EQ to be very close to the same, the horns hit you like a freight train and the sealed subs are more like standing a foot away from the train. It's quite different. I have everything running down low and the G-horns cutoff at 50hz.
bass addict's Avatar bass addict 04:35 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

With my G-horns and sealed 21's, EQ to be very close to the same, the horns hit you like a freight train and the sealed subs are more like standing a foot away from the train. It's quite different. I have everything running down low and the G-horns cutoff at 50hz.

OK, no more ported talk. I've had my sealed setup running less than 8 months and I don't want to rebuild everything yet. cool.gif
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 04:41 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

OK, no more ported talk. I've had my sealed setup running less than 8 months and I don't want to rebuild everything yet. cool.gif

Uh oh... sounds like the seed is planted...
bass addict's Avatar bass addict 04:47 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:

Uh oh... sounds like the seed is planted...

Yeah, I've been known to be ummmm.... impressionable. biggrin.gif

The funny part is; I have my screen down and whole front stage disassembled at the moment waiting on the mad scientist to do a little tweaking on my xovers. Now would be the perfect time to do another box build. Must................resist.......................... biggrin.gif
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 04:48 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:

Yeah, I've been known to be ummmm.... impressionable. biggrin.gif

The funny part is; I have my screen down and whole front stage disassembled at the moment waiting on the mad scientist to do a little tweaking on my xovers. Now would be the perfect time to do another box build. Must................resist.......................... biggrin.gif

Build a quick box to a/b test, see which you like. wink.gif
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 04:49 PM 02-17-2014
It is just about time to update your avatar. Those sealed boxes are so last week! tongue.gif
bass addict's Avatar bass addict 04:51 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:

Build a quick box to a/b test, see which you like. wink.gif

Quick box, lol. I've never built anything in my theater that's been quick.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt 04:53 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

It is just about time to update your avatar. Those sealed boxes are so last wee! tongue.gif

Not enough pixels! wink.gif

Quote:

Quick box, lol. I've never built anything in my theater that's been quick.

It's just six sides and some panels for the port wink.gif
bass addict's Avatar bass addict 04:58 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:

It's just six sides and some panels for the port wink.gif

Yeah, tell my OCD that. tongue.gif
Tags: Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400
1  2 3  4  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop