8x 18" LMS 5400 Ultras Sealed to 27 Cube 15hz Ported Build - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes
post #601 of 606 Unread Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
*peeks behind speaker*

oh, what's this?

Why are there two connections?

let's see where they go....

A wild stack of hypex amps appears

6 Hypex NC400s for the front stage, fully active, RME Fireface UFX+ audio interface, using Brutefir for processing. I'm using autoformers for 12db padding and 100uf caps for protection on the HF sections

Quote:
I documented a lot more of it in this thread:
Full active JBL linear phase front stage journey
I feel like I should have known this....or I must have forgot, somehow. Ugh. I'll definitely check this out....again, of course.

Quote:
Seriously though, that 5308 is beefcake. 240w or so into 4 ohms. It got the job done. It weighs like 70 lbs, big transformer in it.
Yeah.

Yeah.

Cool story, bro.

Quote:

Anyway, re: the riser... It's tricky to have something with enough support, but remain decoupled from the floor while having the crowsons effective and not being too large. I have some ideas, I'll likely start a thread with some of them sketched out later to get some feedback. I want to minimize the height and obtrusiveness, but want the effect to still be good. It's going to be tricky. I'm willing to test a few different designs as well.

Wish you could come over for a quick demo of the riser and see how you think it compares. Otherwise....I guess you or someone else has to build one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 606 Unread Yesterday, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 2190 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I feel like I should have known this....or I must have forgot, somehow. Ugh. I'll definitely check this out....again, of course.

Yeah.

Yeah.

Cool story, bro.

Wish you could come over for a quick demo of the riser and see how you think it compares. Otherwise....I guess you or someone else has to build one.
Ugh, I know. How big of a difference did it make for you? You have any details on it? pics?

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke.
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #603 of 606 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 PM
Bass Enabler

Well I went from absolutely no riser to a subwoofer riser. It was a YYYYYUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE upgrade in tactile sensation.

I got to demo both nearfield and Crowson's for the first time over at @carp 's place two years ago and that demo sold me on Crowson's. After the fact I built the subriser (had two extra RLp18's on hand, made it "easy") and all I could compare it to was it was like a perfect hybrid of both a good Buttkicker install and a good Crowson install. It had the natural feel and nuance of the Crowson but could also be damn right brutal like a Buttkicker. I felt like it was the best of both worlds although a compromise in itself too.

The build was an obvious choice as I had two spare 18's I wanted to do something with. So for someone else they would have to buy drivers. Then they need to power them. As for pure tactile sensation, this is rather inefficient both in cost, size and power requirements. However the choices are vast. Instead of a TT device, you pick a driver of choice. The performance is up to you. That part is kinda cool, I think. Then the riser takes up space. This can be a huge problem for some people. For example, we joke but @lukeamdman genuinely sounded interested in trying but he has a severe height restriction in his room. For 18's, my riser is about 1ft tall.

Not too many details about it. The construction is 2x8's all around with 3/4" Home Depot "quality" plywood for a top and bottom and one single 2x4 going down the middle (short, length-wise). That's it. Well....sorry, and the extra MDF baffles. That was only a requirement to account for the mounting depth of the 18's. Otherwise they are not required at all. There are pictures and the same details in the link in my sig.

So between this, nearfield and TT's.... they all have their pro's and con's. I think they all are deserving of the application and have their strengths in certain areas. Although I feel the Crowson's are the best overall, I love the riser system. It's just nuts and very effective with ULF material.
lukeamdman likes this.

post #604 of 606 Unread Yesterday, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I went from absolutely no riser to a subwoofer riser. It was a YYYYYUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE upgrade in tactile sensation.

I got to demo both nearfield and Crowson's for the first time over at @carp 's place two years ago and that demo sold me on Crowson's. After the fact I built the subriser (had two extra RLp18's on hand, made it "easy") and all I could compare it to was it was like a perfect hybrid of both a good Buttkicker install and a good Crowson install. It had the natural feel and nuance of the Crowson but could also be damn right brutal like a Buttkicker. I felt like it was the best of both worlds although a compromise in itself too.

The build was an obvious choice as I had two spare 18's I wanted to do something with. So for someone else they would have to buy drivers. Then they need to power them. As for pure tactile sensation, this is rather inefficient both in cost, size and power requirements. However the choices are vast. Instead of a TT device, you pick a driver of choice. The performance is up to you. That part is kinda cool, I think. Then the riser takes up space. This can be a huge problem for some people. For example, we joke but @lukeamdman genuinely sounded interested in trying but he has a severe height restriction in his room. For 18's, my riser is about 1ft tall.

Not too many details about it. The construction is 2x8's all around with 3/4" Home Depot "quality" plywood for a top and bottom and one single 2x4 going down the middle (short, length-wise). That's it. Well....sorry, and the extra MDF baffles. That was only a requirement to account for the mounting depth of the 18's. Otherwise they are not required at all. There are pictures and the same details in the link in my sig.

So between this, nearfield and TT's.... they all have their pro's and con's. I think they all are deserving of the application and have their strengths in certain areas. Although I feel the Crowson's are the best overall, I love the riser system. It's just nuts and very effective with ULF material.
Ah I was just looking to do a very small riser, wasn't considering anything nearfield at the moment. I'm thinking the riser by itself won't be nearly as effective as a wood floor, given the surface area difference. I know some others have done it so when I get some time I'll do some more research and possibly testing.
post #605 of 606 Unread Today, 10:31 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Ah I was just looking to do a very small riser, wasn't considering anything nearfield at the moment. I'm thinking the riser by itself won't be nearly as effective as a wood floor, given the surface area difference. I know some others have done it so when I get some time I'll do some more research and possibly testing.
I left out the part where I tried the riser unplugged recently...lol, woops.

I'd suggest giving a "passive" riser a try too, if you're interested. Believe it or not, they add quite a bit of sensation. Even for us on slab.

Earlier this year, I was thinking stuff about the bass in my HT. Long story short, I unplugged the riser for a while. Now of course the intensity dropped but there was still a considerable amount of shake and slam from the rest of the system to provide nice feels at the seat (compared to being on the floor).

And mine is quite sturdy!! It has a middle brace even. It's a solid enclosure. Stomp on it feels solid too. Still good shake and slam at the seat. Hell yeah.

You could build yours much shorter than mine and with half the materials.
Ryansboston likes this.
post #606 of 606 Unread Today, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I left out the part where I tried the riser unplugged recently...lol, woops.

I'd suggest giving a "passive" riser a try too, if you're interested. Believe it or not, they add quite a bit of sensation. Even for us on slab.

Earlier this year, I was thinking stuff about the bass in my HT. Long story short, I unplugged the riser for a while. Now of course the intensity dropped but there was still a considerable amount of shake and slam from the rest of the system to provide nice feels at the seat (compared to being on the floor).

And mine is quite sturdy!! It has a middle brace even. It's a solid enclosure. Stomp on it feels solid too. Still good shake and slam at the seat. Hell yeah.

You could build yours much shorter than mine and with half the materials.
Once I'm recovered from food poisoning, going to sketch some stuff, ugh. It's always something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400