Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #61 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 499
OCD is not my problem.... lack of tools, experience, and intelligence is. redface.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

OCD is not my problem.... lack of tools, experience, and intelligence is. redface.gif

Remember, you can always have the home store rip your wood to widths and lengths you need for free. Then it is just a matter or assembly or at least only a couple rudimentary cuts.

post #63 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Remember, you can always have the home store rip your wood to widths and lengths you need for free. Then it is just a matter or assembly or at least only a couple rudimentary cuts.

Yeah you are right. Still... you should have seen my flat pack assembly, it was bad enough. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't 8 of them..... I still have nightmares about PL glue. biggrin.gif

post #64 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

Yeah you are right. Still... you should have seen my flat pack assembly, it was bad enough. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't 8 of them..... I still have nightmares about PL glue. biggrin.gif

8 enclosures is a pain. That's part of the reason I'm building 4 wink.gif

I've been using regular tite-bond on these builds. I used titebond 2 on the front baffle (gluing the two boards together) since I didn't want it to tack too fast.

Anywhere there will be a large gap or you're not sure on the seal, then I used PL. Trick is keeping plenty of paper towels and gloves handy. Wear clothes you don't care about, too.

The only places in this build to get PL were the front baffle and the top since I had to make sure any gaps were sealed.

Has anyone worked with the new PL fast grab? It has my curiosity, but didn't want to try something new on this build.
Bob7145 likes this.

post #65 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

biggrin.gif PL is evil!
It usually takes it a week to wear off my hands even after doing most of with gloves...

But, the more you do the better you get.smile.gif

post #66 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

biggrin.gif PL is evil!
It usually takes it a week to wear off my hands even after doing most of with gloves...

But, the more you do the better you get.smile.gif

I hear ya, PL is the devil. I have a few extra "work rags" after messing with that stuff.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #67 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I hear ya, PL is the devil. I have a few extra "work rags" after messing with that stuff.

Yep! ...and work clothes!

Ugh! biggrin.gif

post #68 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

Yep! ...and work clothes!

Ugh! biggrin.gif

LOL, that's what I was implying. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #69 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Has anyone worked with the new PL fast grab? It has my curiosity, but didn't want to try something new on this build.

Yup, although I use it for household stuff, it gets tacky and hard to remove anything in under 1 minute. I'll use it on my next build since I have 4 tubes I got for free.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #70 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, that's what I was implying. biggrin.gif

I figured! But, I thought it was worth saying literally. OMG! That stuff eventually gets on everything!

post #71 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Yup, although I use it for household stuff, it gets tacky and hard to remove anything in under 1 minute. I'll use it on my next build since I have 4 tubes I got for free.

Sounds like it might be too quick for some box building. I'll probably pass on it, thanks for the info =]

post #72 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
cool trick I learned is to wrape a couple strips of duct tape around the tube before opening. this stop it from bowing out/spurting after you release pressure on the gun.
post #73 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

OK, no more ported talk. I've had my sealed setup running less than 8 months and I don't want to rebuild everything yet. cool.gif

I'd still not personally trade my sealed subs for ported ones. The hit of the horn is harder than any ported design I've ever seen. I like to have both in the HT personally.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #74 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 898
I know I'm pretty excited to try out the large ported cabinets that I'm building, now I just need my damn UXL-18's to show up rolleyes.gif
Hopefully it'll they arrive before the end of the month smile.gif
post #75 of 512 Old 02-17-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanSound View Post

cool trick I learned is to wrape a couple strips of duct tape around the tube before opening. this stop it from bowing out/spurting after you release pressure on the gun.

Or just spend $5 instead of $3 on a gun and get one that pulls back wink.gif

post #76 of 512 Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

f4BID2el.jpg
LTD02 likes this.

post #77 of 512 Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Nice! One more to go.
post #78 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Nice! One more to go.

Almost, just put on coat of paint #2, need to flip it again and put one more on the top, then bring it inside and install the drivers and stuff... but soon... this build will not end frown.gif

post #79 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:

Almost, just put on coat of paint #2, need to flip it again and put one more on the top, then bring it inside and install the drivers and stuff... but soon... this build will not end frown.gif

Your project definitely tips to the scale to the right considering size and work involved. You're doing it though, and of course it's looking really nice . At least with the ones you're building now you know how good they perform.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #80 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 443
How is one of these compared to a GH?
post #81 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
same ballpark. of course, smidgen more extension with the ~15hz ported cabs vs the ~17hz tuned tapped horn. excursion limited max spl is about the same in both cases. right around 126db +/- in the low 20's. gh is a little more sensitive compared to a dual ported cab, 3-5db depending where you measure. gh requires a little eq to smooth horn resonances. overall, pretty close.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #82 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=45&mset=42 for the GH, unfortunately I don't have similar measurements frown.gif

unfortunately I cant move 400+lb enclosures around to take gp measurements.

As for the simulations I posted, these subs were at least 3db more sensitive than my sealed. With the Denon subwoofer cal signal, I had to drop the gain on my amps by 3db to get it to match up, but this might be from less EQ needed in the MiniDSP. Once I get all 4 rolling, I'll have more/better info.

post #83 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So these are more expensive with two drivers for similar performance BUT easier to build and less EQ required.
post #84 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

So these are more expensive with two drivers for similar performance BUT easier to build and less EQ required.

They dig a bit deeper as well, looking at the gjallerhorn measurements you can see it rolls off around 21-22hz. They can also be run to a higher frequency without horn issues. They'll require more power, but you'll get a bit more max output out of them as well I reckon.

post #85 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes extension as well.
post #86 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

OK, no more ported talk. I've had my sealed setup running less than 8 months and I don't want to rebuild everything yet. cool.gif

Quote:

Uh oh... sounds like the seed is planted...

HAHA, I know! It's around the bend we go again. It's fascinating how the trends come and go in this arena we're in. Less than 6 months ago, tapped horns and folded horns were all of the rage. 6 months before that, major sealed builds were happening. Before that, LLT, etc. (all round-about time frames, of course). Now between Notnyt's progress and the gobs of Marty Subs cropping up, ported is now king for a day. It's awesome. The constant change here is really great. biggrin.gif

For me, I am good with my curvy sealed builds and wouldn't have room for anything large and ported anyway. cool.gif

post #87 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

For me, I am good with my curvy sealed builds and wouldn't have room for anything large and ported anyway. cool.gif

Keep telling yourself that until you don't believe it anymore. biggrin.gif

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #88 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

HAHA, I know! It's around the bend we go again. It's fascinating how the trends come and go in this arena we're in. Less than 6 months ago, tapped horns and folded horns were all of the rage. 6 months before that, major sealed builds were happening. Before that, LLT, etc. (all round-about time frames, of course). Now between Notnyt's progress and the gobs of Marty Subs cropping up, ported is now king for a day. It's awesome. The constant change here is really great. biggrin.gif

It's a classic "grass is always greener " situation.

I'm skipping the ported and going from horns to infinite baffle, to stay ahead of the curve.
post #89 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

Keep telling yourself that until you don't believe it anymore. biggrin.gif

Lol! Yeah, you can bet that I've spent more than a few minutes pondering the placement possibilities of a couple of Marty Subs.

post #90 of 512 Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 898
I think the Martycube would really interest a lot of guys. Forum member chalugado has a good post directly comparing the output of his full sized Marty sub to his martycube. It makes the cube very appealing, oh and with an SI driver with a inuke 3000 amp his marty cube crushed his HSU VTF-15V by almost 10dB @ 20hz from his measurements that he took. Not bad for about $600. smile.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page