Vote: Which four 18 or 24 inch drivers for sealed enclosures and why? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which four 18 or 24 inch drivers?
A. SI-24 17 23.29%
B. TC Sounds LMS 5400 Ultra 19 26.03%
C. TC Sounds Pro 5100 3 4.11%
D. UXL-18 13 17.81%
E. Dayton Ultimax18 10 13.70%
F. SI-18 8 10.96%
G. Other 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Rebel975 received (10)
Rebel975 gave (176)

redface.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

That is the funniest thing I've read here in a long time.

My screen made a "sudden impact" with coffee lol. I've made like 2 posts over in ID in like a week or two because... rolleyes.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #273 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

My screen made a "sudden impact" with coffee lol. I've made like 2 posts over in ID in like a week or two because... rolleyes.gif

For sure ..... right? I remember when I first came around. Being the new guy I was a bit reluctant to question him on just how wacky some of his suggestions were.

Finally someone did it for me and it was like spelling relief with the letters R-O-L-A-I-D-S
Rebel975 likes this.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

post #274 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

So you have a date for install?

I don't have one yet.

I know EU upgrade is crazy compared to US.

Yeah, I was one if the first to sign up but probably the last to pay!

The issue I have is I could give a rats butt about the puck......4K blue-ray is what I'm concerned about. Implementation of new motherboard will have 10.2 board rather than 18.2GB chip. 4k @ 60 is fine with me but this upgrade will only do 4k @ 30 at best! IMHO, ripoff.......yet I'm just stupid enough to have upgrade done.
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #275 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm pounding the icon for you....176 in no time!wink.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #276 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

LOL. I think the thumbs up is the stupidest thing I've seen lately. When people like Beeman can have 1,100 it obviously has no relation to anything helpful. smile.gif

In fact, after seeing how many he's received, I thought it was a bad thing; I've been trying to keep mine as low as possible. biggrin.gif

lol.......couldn't agree more!

BTW, I'm holding down thumbs up icon for you! You and Bee-man could be similar company. biggrin.gif
bass addict and Rebel975 like this.

My Build Threads

post #277 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

What are you upgrading for? HDMI 2.0? I have not been following those series of PJ's since they came out.

Certainly not for the puck...ie Sony's server. 4k Blue-ray will be out next year.....like idea of 4k @ 60! cool.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #278 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

lol.......couldn't agree more!

BTW, I'm holding down thumbs up icon for you! You and Bee-man could be similar company. biggrin.gif

2 can play this game, thumbs up for you too. biggrin.gif

I'd thumbs up every post you did, but I'd probably get another infraction, lol.
beastaudio and Rebel975 like this.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #279 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL. I think the thumbs up is the stupidest thing I've seen lately. When people like Beeman can have 1,100 it obviously has no relation to anything helpful. smile.gif

In fact, after seeing how many he's received, I thought it was a bad thing; I've been trying to keep mine as low as possible. biggrin.gif

lol!

Bass Addict has seven thumbs up and counting!

I almost pee-ed my pants laughing so hard!!!!!!!eek.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #280 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2 can play this game, thumbs up for you too. biggrin.gif

I'd thumbs up every post you did, but I'd probably get another infraction, lol.

I got an infraction calling out a lawyer who was belittling people! Took one for the gipper!biggrin.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #281 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got an infraction calling out a lawyer who was belittling people! Took one for the gipper!biggrin.gif

LOL.

Why do I feel this is the only forum section that is halfway sane (except for Scott). biggrin.gif
doublewing11 and Rebel975 like this.

Achievement Unlocked

post #282 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have measurements of LMS-U motor diameter ?

Been looking for specs including dimensions of motor......yes, been to TC Sound site

Went over and measured internal bracing on pair of Diysoundgroup cabs I have........cut out the middle member...........shave 1/2 to 3/4 inches and should be good to go. Only issue once again should be motor.........

If someone has information....would appreciate the information.
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #283 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Excuse the Janky way of measuring.....but it's all I could think of quick. smile.gif

Looks to be just about 10 1/4, of course at the widest part.
doublewing11 and Rebel975 like this.

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

post #284 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Excuse the Janky way of measuring.....but it's all I could think of quick. smile.gif

Looks to be just about 10 1/4, of course at the widest part.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!

I'll go and measure bracing.......have a feeling much more will have to be done to bracing to fit driver!
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #285 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Flat pack middle bracing needs to be trimmed down 3/4 inch which is no big deal. Middle cross brace needs cut out completely but two braces can be added on side to replace middle T.....

That pick helps immensely and figures in final decision...... cool.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #286 of 408 Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Flat pack middle bracing needs to be trimmed down 3/4 inch which is no big deal. Middle cross brace needs cut out completely but two braces can be added on side to replace middle T.....

That pick helps immensely and figures in final decision...... cool.gif

So..... What does that mean in terms of our guess of which driver will be chosen?

Go for the 24 as it will do more if "ain't" scared of recommendations 😉. If scared of recommendations then port the LMS drivers. Enough said!
Rebel975 likes this.
post #287 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

I know.... Four ~$1000 drivers that perform at extreme levels all day long has gotten so boring! I kid but there is something about the LMS that I don't like because of it's proven track record and lust-worthy nature.

Hahahahaha, i was just reading my one post, and it went like this... Hey, build something different, so i can see how it works. Dont build based on proven designs and unlimited performance. I'm ashamed..... but i still want to see that Si24 in a 26" cubed beast, lets get back to 2" thick walls and a nice 3-4" baffle...... Grabbing a whopping +12db of headroom from colocating the four from the get go.....

When i think of my first (what i thought was) subwoofer. Each cab had a pair of 10" well damped drivers coupled with a 300watt bridged mono Ashly Fet-200. Then i had the nerve to think a NHT1259 was an ungrade from the dual 10's. That was then and this is now. Compared to that you cant lose with any of the top 3 !!!!!

Cheers and here's to a new frontier of subs.....
dtsdig and Rebel975 like this.

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #288 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I finally put in my vote. I want to see more 24"s!! As far as I know, WereWolf84 and Swolephile are the only guys with them so far. I want someone to put 4 of them in a room in the SI recommended 10cu.ft. boxes and measure the crap out of them so the questions of qtc, etc. can be sorted out.
AND....they're cool as hell!
Rebel975 likes this.

post #289 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:

I finally put in my vote. I want to see more 24"s!! As far as I know, WereWolf84 and Swolephile are the only guys with them so far. I want someone to put 4 of them in a room in the SI recommended 10cu.ft. boxes and measure the crap out of them so the questions of qtc, etc. can be sorted out.

Don't worry biggrin.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #290 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Four SI-24's probably won't be me..........but yeah never know. wink.gif
The issue is having huge cabs behind second row seating. I prefer stealth there ie. smaller boxes......Ultras or UXL's

I'm down to Quad Ultras.....or two SI-24's with either dual Ultras or UXL's
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #291 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Don't worry biggrin.gif

So you're going to be the first "Quad-man" for the SI-24's?

Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #292 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Four SI-24's probably won't be me..........but yeah never know. wink.gif
The issue is having huge cabs behind second row seating. I prefer stealth there ie. smaller boxes......Ultras or UXL's

I'm down to Quad Ultras.....or two SI-24's with either dual Ultras or UXL's

No, I hear ya. Space constraints and all that. My vote then is for 2-24"s up front and 2-UXL's in back. Maybe if you call up Nick at SI and beg enough with your check book, he'll make some "special" HST's for you too! Then you can put 2-24"s up front and 2-HST's in the back! Kidding....kidding. I know it won't happen, and that gives me a sad.
Rebel975 likes this.

post #293 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I hear ya. Space constraints and all that. My vote then is for 2-24"s up front and 2-UXL's in back. Maybe if you call up Nick at SI and beg enough with your check book, he'll make some "special" HST's for you too! Then you can put 2-24"s up front and 2-HST's in the back! Kidding....kidding. I know it won't happen, and that gives me a sad.

Tough decision.......

Ultras available now..........UXL's available when the cows come home......in other words, 40 group buy buyers and who knows how many ahead of me.

Most likely Ultras unless definitive answer on when UXL's to masses will be available. Shrugs
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #294 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tough decision.......

Ultras available now..........UXL's available when the cows come home......in other words, 40 group buy buyers and who knows how many ahead of me.

Most likely Ultras unless definitive answer on when UXL's to masses will be available. Shrugs

Hey, if the ~$1100 difference is cool with you, go for it! smile.gif I do have to ask here though, have you considered just using a couple (or 4) SI HT's in the back of the room along with 2-24"s up front? They are no slouch of a sub, as I'm sure you already know. They are still available. It would cost you ~$800 for 4 of them. I can't imagine you would want for more in the back of the room especially with what you plan on putting up front.
Rebel975 likes this.

post #295 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, if the ~$1100 difference is cool with you, go for it! smile.gif I do have to ask here though, have you considered just using a couple (or 4) SI HT's in the back of the room along with 2-24"s up front? They are no slouch of a sub, as I'm sure you already know. They are still available. It would cost you ~$800 for 4 of them. I can't imagine you would want for more in the back of the room especially with what you plan on putting up front.

I've been pushing those from the beginning lol. I was in the same boat with wanting a small cab in the back of the room behind the 2nd row of seats. The box was twice as big going with the SI's over the Ultras, but in the end the lower cost and less wattage needed ultimately steered me that direction. I took the money saved and put it into Crowsons which seemed like a win win to me. smile.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

Achievement Unlocked

post #296 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been pushing those from the beginning lol. I was in the same boat with wanting a small cab in the back of the room behind the 2nd row of seats. The box was twice as big going with the SI's over the Ultras, but in the end the lower cost and less wattage needed ultimately steered me that direction. I took the money saved and put it into Crowsons which seemed like a win win to me. smile.gif

I would be open to concept of SI-18's in back.....never heard one before therefore a little hesitant.
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #297 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be open to concept of SI-18's in back.....never heard one before therefore a little hesitant.

I'm sure a plane ticket to MT is pretty cheap this time of year (or anytime for that matter). biggrin.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

Achievement Unlocked

post #298 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure a plane ticket to MT is pretty cheap this time of year (or anytime for that matter). biggrin.gif

I fly or drive into Park City, Utah all the time.............wife's sister lives there.

As a kid, I dreamed of living in Montana......but my Mom moved to Oregon instead. I look on the bright side, my Mom wanted to move to New Zealand but my brother and I fought her tooth and nail. When her sister moved back to London from Australia.........she gave up and moved to Oregon instead. Sure glad how that worked out.........freaking rugby and soccer? What? No football or baseball? Can't see myself as a Kiwi! rolleyes.gif

Would love to see Big Sky country again...........but I do prefer our fishing in Oregon! Kings, Silvers, and Steelhead oh my! cool.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #299 of 408 Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a kid, I dreamed of living in Montana...

You would be the first and only. biggrin.gif

Seriously, it's a great state but the seasons are so frigged up here. It snows through April, rains solid through June, hits 90-100 for July and August, then drops back into freezing range by October, snowing again till the following April. cool.gif
Rebel975 likes this.

Achievement Unlocked

post #300 of 408 Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You would be the first and only. biggrin.gif

Seriously, it's a great state but the seasons are so frigged up here. It snows through April, rains solid through June, hits 90-100 for July and August, then drops back into freezing range by October, snowing again till the following April. cool.gif

Well, from my experience driving all over Montana.....it's my kind of country! wink.gif

BTW, will place a call to SI today inquiring about 24's and the 18's. See if that package could fit or maybe three or four 24's.

We shall see.....two 24 cabs in back are close to being too big!

See what you're done being in my ear constantly!!tongue.gif

My Build Threads

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page