Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post

Wait... Im confused on what those pictures are showing? Did you just put veneer on the face and not the exposed edges? 

Also, why is that circle so janky?! I thought you teach woodworking?! I give you a C+.... learn to apply yourself (see what I did there.... apply... veneer... zing!)

Circle doesn't need to be perfect when you are covering it with a driver. Might want to put in some smileys next time eek.giftongue.gif:cool:
Paxonator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Sorry.. have all of the smileys to emphasize the sarcastic tone  :D

Old 02-13-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well its been a frustrating morning. Spent lots of time last night and this morning getting wood ready to be stained . Had it looking nice, tested stain on a sample piece and it looked good. Put a coat on the cube and *&%^^(. Ended up being blotchy. Never had stain go like that. It wasn't glue stains. I am not sure if it was residue from contact cement or oils from my hands. I sanded well but it just went crazy.

Going to just paint it black over top. Will still look good but just frustrating spending all that time. Will be taking home tonight and seeing what the cube can do. cool.gif
Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry.. have all of the smileys to emphasize the sarcastic tone  biggrin.gif

I'm just in a bad mood from my above post about the stain. Knew you were joking biggrin.gif
Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really looking forward for your thoughts on the sub tonight. I've been following the marty subs the whole time but couldn't pull the trigger due to the size. I will eagerly wait for your test now!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Well its been a frustrating morning. Spent lots of time last night and this morning getting wood ready to be stained . Had it looking nice, tested stain on a sample piece and it looked good. Put a coat on the cube and *&%^&#^(. Ended up being blotchy. Never had stain go like that. It wasn't glue stains. I am not sure if it was residue from contact cement or oils from my hands. I sanded well but it just went crazy.

Going to just paint it black over top. Will still look good but just frustrating spending all that time. Will be taking home tonight and seeing what the cube can do. cool.gif

That is quite a ****** turn of events..... what would you normally use to clean the veneer before applying in case there was contact cement or oil? Would a spray gun have helped prevent this (if the area was clean of course)

Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is quite a ****** turn of events..... what would you normally use to clean the veneer before applying in case there was contact cement or oil? Would a spray gun have helped prevent this (if the area was clean of course)

I almost always use watco oil to finish my projects. Never have problems. Tried a varathane stain I used years ago (new can for today)and i am not sure what happened. Not going to worry about it too much since I know it will fine painted and I really want to know how it sounds. Lesson learned was stick to my watco oils. cool.gif
Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I read some where that you need to use some kind of oil/cleaner first on veneers because if not it will be blotchy when stained. Something about the glue they use to adhere the paper backing. Could be on certain brands maybe.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
If you paint the top I beg you to be sure to seal it first. I had a bad experience painting the top of my last project. Thing is I pretty much knew better but had to learn the hard way. That being that, I’m not sure if I would paint the top even if I did seal it. I would test mixing some black paint with stain and test it out on scrap.. just a suggestion

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 02-13-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

If you paint the top I beg you to be sure to seal it first. I had a bad experience painting the top of my last project. Thing is I pretty much knew better but had to learn the hard way. That being that, I’m not sure if I would paint the top even if I did seal it. I would test mixing some black paint with stain and test it out on scrap.. just a suggestion

I am going to give it a quick sanding with 80 grit orbital to rough up surface. THen paint black. Then its coming home. I need to test this baby. If I am not happy with the black paint job I can always paint again at home. Before I invest too much more time I need to try it out. rolleyes.gif
Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree you need to try it out so that we can get the okay to start building our own. :)We appreciate you being the guinea pig.smile.gif
Old 02-13-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For my testing tonight I am first going to play certain music tracks/movie (I know these very well)and set volume to 50 on my preamp.(thats loud). Then use my spl meter and measure certain points in the song/movie. Say at 30 seconds bass hits 105dbs. I will measure 6-8 demo spots with full marty and then swap driver out to the cube. I will place the cube in the exact same spot as full marty. With volume at same level and all eq settings the same I will measure the 6-8 spots again. My hope is that the measurements should be very similar other then around 15-20 hz. THere I will lose 2-4dbs I am guessing. cool.gif

Will also play a heavy bass song really loud on cube to see if their is any chuffing.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

For my testing tonight I am first going to play certain music tracks/movie (I know these very well)and set volume to 50 on my preamp.(thats loud). Then use my spl meter and measure certain points in the song/movie. Say at 30 seconds bass hits 105dbs. I will measure 6-8 demo spots with full marty and then swap driver out to the cube. I will place the cube in the exact same spot as full marty. With volume at same level and all eq settings the same I will measure the 6-8 spots again. My hope is that the measurements should be very similar other then around 15-20 hz. THere I will lose 2-4dbs I am guessing. cool.gif

Will also play a heavy bass song really loud on cube to see if their is any chuffing.

I am really looking forward to your tests and comments.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Those all sound like great tests and real life situations. Can I put in a request? When you get mystery salt can you please put it in layman terms. Graphs might explain a lot to some of the people but I know to myself personally the "it sounded bad ass and the walls were shaking. Compared to the regular Marty this was as good or better" goes a lot further than the graphs. I know the graphs are important and they say a lot and one day when I learn all about them I will appreciate them but for right now they scare me.
Flynnr likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:

Yeah, I am too. I bet there are quite a few guys that currently have, or are thinking about building a Marty or Mini-Marty, and would like to know how the cube compares at half the real estate.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

I am going to give it a quick sanding with 80 grit orbital to rough up surface. THen paint black. Then its coming home. I need to test this baby. If I am not happy with the black paint job I can always paint again at home. Before I invest too much more time I need to try it out. rolleyes.gif

Painting over the top of veneer can cause the veneer to bubble, no second chance to redo. tongue.gif If painting just the ply then you're good. Maybe your veneer wont, mine was paper backed Bandit.

EDIT> I thought you had paper backed veneer but now see it's not. This is good!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 02-13-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Those all sound like great tests and real life situations. Can I put in a request? When you get mystery salt can you please put it in layman terms. Graphs might explain a lot to some of the people but I know to myself personally the "it sounded bad ass and the walls were shaking. Compared to the regular Marty this was as good or better" goes a lot further than the graphs. I know the graphs are important and they say a lot and one day when I learn all about them I will appreciate them but for right now they scare me.

No graphs,
For example
Star wars pod racing scene full marty 114dbs and cube 113.5 dbs

My songs are :
Metallica enter sandman
Ozzy mama I'm coming home
Bruno mars just the way you are
Black eyed peas boom
Couple of hip hop songs (can't remember the names)
Pod scene
WOTW ground scene
last is tv show justified. THe opening music starts with four beats that are classic midbass.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

"Star wars pod racing scene full marty 114dbs and cube 113.5 dbs"

Are these actual numbers already., if so HD is still open, I can pick up MDF and maybe get a few cuts in tonight.

Either way with all jokes aside, thank you for testing this and putting the results out to everyone. We do appreciate it and always look forward to your projects and comments.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

"Mystery Salt"? I guess that is what happens when you type on a cell phone with auto correct. These Results is what it should say.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, why do you have to scare us Erich. I saw my phone beep that I had a new email, and I could see that it was from AVS. I almost knocked my kid down trying to get to the computer to check. I was wondering if Donny had results for us. Makes me wonder if he is enjoying himself too much or throw the whole thing out the window and doesn't want to tell us the bad news.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 PM

Liked: 10
Yes I saw that as well and had to quickly refresh. Hope Donny gets back to us tonight with good news smile.gif
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I am three hours ahead here in the GTA and I can't go to bed before I read what Chaluga has to say.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Liked: 32
Anxious!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Man what a crowd. Well I just spent four hours helping jbrown build one of his big subs. Warren gave us a hand . Bringing the cube home right now but I am bagged. Will test it out tomorrow morning and have results up before noon Pacific .
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

No worries man. We are only kind-of kidding with you. I am sure jbrown appreciates your help and that is how it should be. (Helping each other out) I wish there where people around here that needed help, I could offer up my garage and tools (lots of woodworking tools) in exchange for knowledge. Either way, get some rest. I assume school is out tomorrow like it is here in Seattle area. Thanks for the heads up. We can all go to sleep know.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Donny, if there wasnt a border between us... oh the sub boxes we would make. My wallet is thankful that there is.

cessna1466u likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Its at home eek.gif

asamy6y8.jpg

9u9unaga.jpg

Its got a little bro
Thanks to Warren for helping me get it home.
cessna1466u likes this.