MartySub Flatpacks - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > MartySub Flatpacks
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 11:27 AM 02-26-2014
BIG HUGE, THANKS to Chaluga, LTD, Flynn, Stevenn, and all the others that helped with this. A few weeks ago I was feeling empty with 2 12" subs, now I can only imagine how this bad boy is going to rock the house. Oh, yeah just in case it doesn't completely rip the drywall from the studs, there is a second in the making. I learned a few things from building this one that I wont do with the next. Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

steve nn's Avatar steve nn 11:52 AM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I saw my kid play or start to play that game. Last time I played a game was Resident Evil on PS2. Never could get into the computer games or the first person shooters. smile.gif

On another note. No sh#ting you, the wife walks downstairs this morning after getting ready for work and sees this and says "OMG David, look at that sub, its so big" (Insert Valley Girl tone) She is a valley girl from Calif so it was perfect. I think she planned it because she know I was going to bring it in. So here she is! I hope the duratex does cover the small imperfections a few of the belt sander marks on the top. I can see them now that I got it covered with a black undercoat.

Can't wait to hook it up later this afternoon.

Mind you the case next to is is pretty big, it holds about 1200 DVDs in paper sleeves. This thing sticks out past it and almost as wide.

Hey man! you're making some of us old timers look bad! What a nice job, your sub looks great! ++
RexST's Avatar RexST 11:54 AM 02-26-2014
:)Looks perfect from the pictures cessna. Love the rounding you did there.smile.gif
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 12:01 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTHX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Dsp is easy with peq. Once you have that mic a couple of hours messing around and your good.

Do you need to have a mike? I used to use my RS meter as a mike, is it to in accurate to use? If so what mike should I get?
Its not bad but in lower hz its quite a bit off.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 12:02 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

I saw my kid play or start to play that game. Last time I played a game was Resident Evil on PS2. Never could get into the computer games or the first person shooters. smile.gif

On another note. No sh#ting you, the wife walks downstairs this morning after getting ready for work and sees this and says "OMG David, look at that sub, its so big" (Insert Valley Girl tone) She is a valley girl from Calif so it was perfect. I think she planned it because she know I was going to bring it in. So here she is! I hope the duratex does cover the small imperfections a few of the belt sander marks on the top. I can see them now that I got it covered with a black undercoat.

Can't wait to hook it up later this afternoon.

Mind you the case next to is is pretty big, it holds about 1200 DVDs in paper sleeves. This thing sticks out past it and almost as wide.

Sweet eek.gif
BrentTHX's Avatar BrentTHX 12:08 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

So what would you recommend I get for a mike? I have a 2 USB mikes that came with my fathoms, can those be used? I also have mike that came with my anthem statement would that work don't remember what kind of end is on it. I will look at that one tonight. I assume they are all pretty good mikes, if I can save a few bucks using what I have would be great. Can get more fun toys that way!!
Bob7145's Avatar Bob7145 12:17 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

biggrin.gif:D:D

Great Job on your sub Cessna!

Chalugadp - I have hurdreds of hours in that game, haha with the STALKER Complete Mod. Once you find a place to jump the Barbwire Fence then it's free roaming until you fall through the map, haha.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 12:21 PM 02-26-2014
Steve, I hit the big 4-0 this year and the wife already thinks I am having a crisis. I saw on another thread that you can get Duratex in other colors. I told her maybe I should do fire engine red and she said, great most guys get a red corvette or harley, you are going to get more red subwoofers aren't you. I then smiled and walk away. I guess after 15 years together she knows me well.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 12:25 PM 02-26-2014
Thanks Rex, 1/2" rounding not to be confused with a 1/2" beading bit which leaves a nice little line along the edge. mad.gif I learned that the hard way and that is why you see a line on one of the sides. I really should label my bits.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 12:27 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTHX View Post

Quote:

So what would you recommend I get for a mike? I have a 2 USB mikes that came with my fathoms, can those be used? I also have mike that came with my anthem statement would that work don't remember what kind of end is on it. I will look at that one tonight. I assume they are all pretty good mikes, if I can save a few bucks using what I have would be great. Can get more fun toys that way!!

Use rew and run 25,35,45 etc test tones at 75 dbs. Then measure with rs. If its consistent , even if its off by 5-10dbs then its ok. Just make sure you know the accurate adjustment
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 12:34 PM 02-26-2014
I did some testing of packaging this morning . Here's what I bought
naha7u5e.jpg
ajevute9.jpg
e9uju7a6.jpg
uquryhyh.jpg
8eze7emy.jpgahytu7uh.jpg3u2uza4u.jpg

I threw it down four times ad hard as I could. Opened it up and corners were fine. I wrapped it four times. Will get my wife to wrap corners better then I did. Cost is 10 bucks per package . I don't mind spending couple extra bucks to have peace of mind.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 12:50 PM 02-26-2014
Is that a couch I see in your office/classroom? Gotta say, man I am jealous. I love woodworking and being a shop teacher must be awesome, Seeing those kids enjoy what they are making. Good for you Donny!
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 12:52 PM 02-26-2014
I wonder if it is worth getting something like these
https://www.packagingpluscleaning.co.nz/products/Strapping-Accessories/CARDBOARD-CORNERS (This is just from a quick google image search).
The compressed material is somewhere between hardboard and cardboard.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 01:05 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post

I wonder if it is worth getting something like these
https://www.packagingpluscleaning.co.nz/products/Strapping-Accessories/CARDBOARD-CORNERS (This is just from a quick google image search).
The compressed material is somewhere between hardboard and cardboard.

When I fold the four layers of cardboard it is about an inch thick. Also the wrap underneath is about 1/4". I really tossed that sucker around my shop.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 01:07 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

Is that a couch I see in your office/classroom? Gotta say, man I am jealous. I love woodworking and being a shop teacher must be awesome, Seeing those kids enjoy what they are making. Good for you Donny!
Most of them are good wink.gif

Remember when you fire up that badboy today the driver has to break in before its giving you full amount
AlphaPie's Avatar AlphaPie 01:22 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

Remember when you fire up that badboy today the driver has to break in before its giving you full amount

I thought speaker break ins were a load of crap. But after 3 movies my Dayton driver is getting deeper and smoother. I'm not sure if the output has increased because I've been playing with my peak limiter so much, I assume it has a bit.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 01:45 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

Quote:

I thought speaker break ins were a load of crap. But after 3 movies my Dayton driver is getting deeper and smoother. I'm not sure if the output has increased because I've been playing with my peak limiter so much, I assume it has a bit.

Subwoofer break in is the most noticeable . Takes 5-10 hours to break in for the most part.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 01:48 PM 02-26-2014
I plan on breaking it in. Gonna turn on Pandora and let it run for a few hours while I put on my apron and play house-husband for a while. I also want to make sure the amp mods didn't affect it in any way.
aaronlinkous's Avatar aaronlinkous 01:50 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

while I put on my apron and play house-husband for a while. 

POIDH.

AlphaPie's Avatar AlphaPie 01:58 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

I plan on breaking it in. Gonna turn on Pandora and let it run for a few hours while I put on my apron and play house-husband for a while. I also want to make sure the amp mods didn't affect it in any way.

I'm guilty of running mine full blast from the moment I turned it on, at least for 2 movies it was set on half the wattage.
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 02:00 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

I'm guilty of running mine full blast from the moment I turned it on, at least for 2 movies it was set on half the wattage.
You mean...you were breaking in your new sub with 2 movies! :-D
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 02:04 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post

POIDH.

The only apron in the house has small red hearts and lace trim. No way I am posting a pic, you need to take my word on this one. wink.gif
AlphaPie's Avatar AlphaPie 02:12 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post

You mean...you were breaking in your new sub with 2 movies! :-D

I'm running it now at near max wattage with no problems and a little under 8 hours usage. No problems yet biggrin.gif
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 02:48 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

I did some testing of packaging this morning . Here's what I bought

8eze7emy.jpg

I threw it down four times ad hard as I could. Opened it up and corners were fine. I wrapped it four times. Will get my wife to wrap corners better then I did. Cost is 10 bucks per package . I don't mind spending couple extra bucks to have peace of mind.

Good thing that's your test package because I was thinking to myself... "Jeeze Donny wasn't kidding around when he told me he was terrible and wrapping present so he knew he needed his wife's help other wise the subs would be wrapped terrible too"..lol tongue.gif
antisuck's Avatar antisuck 03:20 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

On another note. No sh#ting you, the wife walks downstairs this morning after getting ready for work and sees this and says "OMG David, look at that sub, its so big" (Insert Valley Girl tone) She is a valley girl from Calif so it was perfect.

[Sir Mix-a-Lot]

Oh, my, god. Becky, look at that sub.
It is so big. It looks like, one of those AVS guys' stereos.
But, you know, who understands those AVS guys?
They only build it, because, it thumps like a total prostitute, 'kay?
I mean, that driver, is just so big.
I can't believe it's just so round, it's like,
out there, I mean - gross. Look!
It's just so ... black!

[/Sir Mix-a-Lot]

biggrin.gif
mhutchins's Avatar mhutchins 03:23 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

No sh#ting you, the wife walks downstairs this morning after getting ready for work and sees this and says "OMG David, look at that sub, its so big" (Insert Valley Girl tone)

Cessna, your sub looks great!! Awesome job, man. cool.gif
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 03:29 PM 02-26-2014
Quote:

nice work!

that's one sweet look'n marty...

that would be a good pic to add to the o.p.!
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 03:42 PM 02-26-2014
Thanks everyone, I just finished wiring everything and ohh, ohh I think there is something wrong. Instead of a long drawn out thread I will post the issues and a few pics and maybe someone can help. Granted I was using Pandora directly from the AVR receiver.

1. Hum at the subwoofer. When the volume is turned up any amount past mute I can hear a steady hum at the subwoofer.
2. Got some air leaks around the gasket that came with the sub, looks like I might need to remove it or find a better way to fasten it. The head on the Spax fasterners might be too small and its going right through the subwoofer mounting hole.
3. Gain is all the way up on the amp. 0 on the receiver gain for the subwoofer.
4. Very little amount of air is coming out of the port holes, is this normal?
5. Very little movement from the sub.

To be honest, I was expecting a lot more. I was thinking I would have to turn the gain on the mains/center to keep up with the subs but its the other way around. Did I set up the amp wrong or is this it. I have to admit the bass is nice and tight. The sub is not even moving but I have to turn to volume way up to get any amount of bass. Dare I say, even louder than with my Klipsch subs. I know I did something wrong.

I purchased XLR male to RCA males to go from receiver to amp, then 2 pole speakon twist lock connectors, using 12g speaker wire to Monster Cable Banana plugs. The sub box has a banana plug connector on it.

Here are a few pics of the settings on the Berry, help please. Its kind of dissapointing because I know I did something wrong.

fr8doggr's Avatar fr8doggr 03:42 PM 02-26-2014
[/quote]

Looks great!
Flynnr's Avatar Flynnr 04:24 PM 02-26-2014
D4 sub with inuke3000dsp?

I had to click the bridged button and run a 4 pole speakon connector to connect to the the 1+ & 2+ (bridged) as the 2 pole doesn't have this option

Edit nvm you are d2... Sorry.
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop