MartySub Flatpacks - Page 32 - AVS Forum
First ... 30  31  32 33  34  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > MartySub Flatpacks
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:46 PM 02-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

I thought I'd share a nice bass test video from youtube for all you firs time martys. No crazy dubstep, rap or sine waves, pretty much piano and bass drops. I think a couple are sub 20hz. This shakes my windows and ripples my floors biggrin.gif

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S96SguswXY4

No go in the us. Copywright blah blah blah.

bluer101's Avatar bluer101 06:32 AM 02-28-2014
Thanks guys for the hard work. So the Dayton would be fine too?
fr8doggr's Avatar fr8doggr 06:39 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

No go in the us. Copywright blah blah blah.

Cessna,

I got the link without a problem here in Ohio...weird...
FireDust58's Avatar FireDust58 07:07 AM 02-28-2014
Yes, performance is very similar between the two. You will be very happy if you go with it.
bluer101's Avatar bluer101 09:10 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDust58 View Post

Yes, performance is very similar between the two. You will be very happy if you go with it.

Great, I'm building a new tv console soon to accommodate our new projector screen and flat screen. So this will be the next build after I recoupe some more fun money.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:03 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8doggr View Post

Cessna,

I got the link without a problem here in Ohio...weird...

Fr8, it wont work on my iphone or ipad but works on the computer. Darn apple. I was able to download it from the original site and will listen to it later. Lots of good stuff on that site.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:07 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

WAF soon to be at all time high. Current status: all time low.

1st coat of b-I-n shellac based primer/sealer on and is waiting to be sanded -ugh (have to sand it in the garage... It's -10f out right now)

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-1-Qt-White-B-I-N-Shellac-Interior-and-Spot-Exterior-Primer-and-Sealer-00904/100398380

I'll do a second coat of primer tonight and sand it and then give it a coat or two of Rustoleum flat black latex paint and call er good.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-32-oz-Flat-Acrylic-Latex-Black-General-Purpose-Paint-1976502/100172539/

Hopefully this won't look too terrible being applied with a 4" roller on the top/bottom/back/sides and a brush on the front baffle...

That looks awesome. I see you recessed the front baffle a little. Are you going to build in a grill? As far as the 4" roller, I used it to do the undercoat on mine before the duratex and it should be fine. The trick I find is that once you are done with one side, then barely touching the box and with no paint at ll on the roller pass it through again in every direction, very lightly, almost like hovering.

Either way it looks amazing. Awesome work.

cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:14 AM 02-28-2014
Martycube deuce coming along. I am just as excited about this one as I was about the first one. Again, I cannot thank the folks here enough for all the help. I will extend this out to everyone, if you want to build a martycube or one of the other subs, first I would say buy the flat pack from Chaluga, well worth it. Then if you still decide that you want to build your own or need to put it together and are in the Seattle/Pierce County area and need a place and tools to build it get in touch with me. I love to do this kind of stuff and always like the idea of learning something new.

Flynnr's Avatar Flynnr 10:24 AM 02-28-2014
Lookin good - yup I am going to do mine a tad differently than the others and try a recessed baffle and then make a grill for the front. I like the sleeper-ness of it like in the car world. Ive had a big turbo'd wagon as my daily driver up until last summer smile.gif

cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:31 AM 02-28-2014
I love wagons, back in the day.... Late 80's and early 90's I have a Toyota Cressida Wagon with a turbo and 2 12" subs in the back. I loved that thing. The wife hated it, to this day she wont let me get another wagon. Looked just like this one, same color and all. Do send pics of the grill. I recessed the sub but had a hard time figuring out the grill since the surround on the sub sticks out about another inch or so.

jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 10:35 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:

I love wagons, back in the day.... Late 80's and early 90's I have a Toyota Cressida Wagon with a turbo and 2 12" subs in the back. I loved that thing. The wife hated it, to this day she wont let me get another wagon. Looked just like this one, same color and all. Do send pics of the grill. I recessed the sub but had a hard time figuring out the grill since the surround on the sub sticks out about another inch or so.

Wagons are bad@ss!

cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:38 AM 02-28-2014
Ok, THOSE are wagons. Mine was a stretched out old beater. Then again we are talking late 80's here. The choices where slim. It was either this, or the Volvo wagon which I couldn't afford. This was during high school. I would have a hard time choosing one today. So for that I stick with a minivan.frown.gif
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 11:16 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

I thought I'd share a nice bass test video from youtube for all you firs time martys. No crazy dubstep, rap or sine waves, pretty much piano and bass drops. I think a couple are sub 20hz. This shakes my windows and ripples my floors biggrin.gif

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S96SguswXY4

Thanks. An interesting mix of one of my Favorite Artist's pieces: Ludovico Einaudi - Nuvole Bianche.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDDY5nVA3A

I think the bass in the remix kills this beautiful song though :P
Mark Seaton's Avatar Mark Seaton 12:47 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkSki View Post

Can you post a link to the cable? I have the monoprice xlr to rca on the way but it was cheap enough that I won't lose sleep over ordering a better one. Thanks in advance.

I don't know what company Seaton uses for cables. I have 2 of them since I used to own Submersives. A friend of mine bought a cable straight from Mark so you could go that route.

I also bought some from Funky Munky and 2 of them caused hum and 2 did not.

Sorry I'm not more help! smile.gif

The cables we use come from markertek.com . You can find the XLR cables we use here. Here are the equivalent RCA-XLRs. IMO it's worth the few $ more for the connectors and wire of better construction/build quality, but Monoprice is cheaper.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 01:22 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

The cables we use come from markertek.com . You can find the XLR cables we use here. Here are the equivalent RCA-XLRs. IMO it's worth the few $ more for the connectors and wire of better construction/build quality, but Monoprice is cheaper.

Thanks Mark smile.gif
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 05:05 PM 02-28-2014
Here is the cutout for the si18 with recess.
5ymesumu.jpg
The diameter of the cutout is 18_7/16". This is a good fit. Comfortable fit. The website says 18.5" which would be a sloppy fit.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 05:31 PM 02-28-2014
True, 18.5 will leave a pretty decent gap. Here is the caps I was talking about and on one of the pics you can see what a 18.5" cut is. These are plastic 5/16" hole plugs.

chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 05:36 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:

True, 18.5 will leave a pretty decent gap. Here is the caps I was talking about and on one of the pics you can see what a 18.5" cut is. These are plastic 5/16" hole plugs.

When you firing up 2nd cube ?
terwilligar's Avatar terwilligar 05:41 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Here is the cutout for the si18 with recess.
5ymesumu.jpg
The diameter of the cutout is 18_7/16". This is a good fit. Comfortable fit. The website says 18.5" which would be a sloppy fit.

Looking clean! I can't wait for mine! 

cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 05:47 PM 02-28-2014
Having problems with the top. I think my saw blade has some play in it because my top is not square. I still need that and the braces inside. Then rounding over and filler. Unfortunately I have to go play in the snow tomorrow. I got the duratex yesterday and plan on hopefully painting them both Sunday. So I think by Tuesday they will both inside. Wish there was more time in the day.
kilteda4's Avatar kilteda4 06:24 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

Lookin good - yup I am going to do mine a tad differently than the others and try a recessed baffle and then make a grill for the front. I like the sleeper-ness of it like in the car world. Ive had a big turbo'd wagon as my daily driver up until last summer smile.gif

Flynn! Nice B5 Avant! I used to have a stage 2.5 B5 A4 back in the day. Everything but the turbo upgrade! It was a total track who..re.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 09:09 PM 02-28-2014
I went back to my school from a few minutes and look what I have
5any2yna.jpg
My first little baby eek.gif
I know the corners are .clunky, will clean that up on my.next package .
FireDust58's Avatar FireDust58 11:52 AM 03-01-2014
Thought it might be useful to post driver / port performance. I forgot i had my crossover on the AVR set to 80Hz still. But this was with no EQ on the nuke, and no audessy on the AVR.

MV = -20
Sub volume on AVR = -12
gain knob on inuke ~ 3/4 or 3 o'clock position

driver measurement was ~10" in front of driver, port measurement was taken with the mic inside the middle port. Then the two signals were averaged out.

N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG 01:07 PM 03-01-2014
There is a guy selling 3 crown K2's on the emotiva forum for $500 each. They would be a good choice because they are fanless. I told him to post them on here as because they are fanless, I'm sure people would snatch them up quick for living room use. They would be great for a marty sub!!

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/35938/fs-crown-k2-amps?page=1&scrollTo=619826
Claybe's Avatar Claybe 10:35 PM 03-01-2014
Sure is quiet tonight...guess everyone is working on their cubes!!! Got my iNuke and most of the wires in.

What kind of wire do you use to wire the sub to the speakon connector in the back? I have some 15 year old monster cable, will that work?
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:41 PM 03-01-2014
I asked around and was told that 12g wire would work just fine. I put a banana plug connector on the back of my cube and ran 12g speaker wire from Monoprice to the speakon connector.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 10:42 PM 03-01-2014
Quote:

I asked around and was told that 12g wire would work just fine. I put a banana plug connector on the back of my cube and ran 12g speaker wire from Monoprice to the speakon connector.

BTW, the previous owner of our house ran speaker wire to the rears about 15 years ago and it is monster cable. Still working perfect!
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 10:52 PM 03-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post

Sure is quiet tonight...guess everyone is working on their cubes!!! Got my iNuke and most of the wires in.

What kind of wire do you use to wire the sub to the speakon connector in the back? I have some 15 year old monster cable, will that work?

Saturday night is always quiet . I'm using 14ga and it works fine. You must be antsy to fire it up ?
Claybe's Avatar Claybe 11:00 PM 03-01-2014
All I need is time which I won't have for another week or two. When I start I will be able to knock out both boxes in a day and then it is just assembly from there. I know you have been putting things in the first post, but maybe a checklist of some sort may be in order! Because I keep thinking through the build in my head and keep remembering things I need. Also, I wish we had an iNuke master thread. I was going to start one, but didn't figure it would go anywhere because I have no knowledge or input ...yet!
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 11:31 PM 03-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post

All I need is time which I won't have for another week or two. When I start I will be able to knock out both boxes in a day and then it is just assembly from there. I know you have been putting things in the first post, but maybe a checklist of some sort may be in order! Because I keep thinking through the build in my head and keep remembering things I need. Also, I wish we had an iNuke master thread. I was going to start one, but didn't figure it would go anywhere because I have no knowledge or input ...yet!

Pretty much everything is in post one except wiring. I asked for someone who knows to put together the different option a few posts back but never happened.
First ... 30  31  32 33  34  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop