MartySub Flatpacks - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Claybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So it looks like the old monster cable is 16 gauge so I guess I will order some 12 gauge wire. Any recommendations on what kind???
Claybe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Member
 
fr8doggr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This wire has been recommended numerous times on this forum. I use it, and have been happy with it...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D102%26cp_id%3D10239%26cs_id%3D1023901
steve nn likes this.
fr8doggr is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Claybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38

Yep, seems like this is the way to go! Thanks.
Claybe is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 175
That is a good deal, I picked up 50 feet of speaker wire but it does not have have the white surround like that and it was almost $20. Go with that wire it looks perfect for it.
cessna1466u is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,627
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Jbrown and Warren popped by and we got 2 full martycubes packed up and three more ready to be packaged. Those two went off to Jbrowns house to make out ! tongue.gif (listening to jbrowns setup)

Routing the recess has chewed up my cheapie router bit. Time to go buy another 12 buck jobbie. Will be done everything but packaging tomorrow. Feel like a kid waiting for xmas with my uxl18 driver. eek.gif
chalugadp is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
lemans24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Don't send me my flat pack until you have checked that the baffle recess fits a uxl-18 when you get yours
I so regret not getting a couple of uxl18 in the group buy but so happy that Donny is making marty sub flat packs!!
I finally downloaded the latest version of winisd and will be checking to see if the uxl18 will be ok with 2800 watts from a cv2800 amp.
I feel more safe with an old style heavy ass amp that has a high damping factor. Don't think I can get a full 2800 watts rms from standard 15 amp wall socket anyways!!
When I looked at the in depth review of the inuke 6000, they basically said that it puts around 1800 watts rms each channel @ 31hz. I want think the uxl-18 can handle way more than that but I will make sure the excursion is kept in check with 2nd order butterworth high pass @ 20hz...
Building this sub will almost be as much fun as building racing go karts for 2 boys!!
lemans24 is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,627
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans24 View Post

Don't send me my flat pack until you have checked that the baffle recess fits a uxl-18 when you get yours
I so regret not getting a couple of uxl18 in the group buy but so happy that Donny is making marty sub flat packs!!
I finally downloaded the latest version of winisd and will be checking to see if the uxl18 will be ok with 2800 watts from a cv2800 amp.
I feel more safe with an old style heavy ass amp that has a high damping factor. Don't think I can get a full 2800 watts rms from standard 15 amp wall socket anyways!!
When I looked at the in depth review of the inuke 6000, they basically said that it puts around 1800 watts rms each channel @ 31hz. I want think the uxl-18 can handle way more than that but I will make sure the excursion is kept in check with 2nd order butterworth high pass @ 20hz...
Building this sub will almost be as much fun as building racing go karts for 2 boys!!

Yours has everything done but the recess . Once I get my uxl18 I will measure it. I think my template will work but we will see. Crazy how we can ship to Florida faster then to Winnipeg .
chalugadp is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 95
After I'm done with my new media center then I can do my Marty cubes. :-).

This is from today, still need vertical dividers and face frame.
bluer101 is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
a friend of mine just finished building some down firing variants of the marty cube.

Here are some pics. Not painted yet...still deciding on finish. Hope this is ok to post here.





LTD02 likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cessna1466u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I would like to know how they sound? That is an awesome idea.
cessna1466u is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Claybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

a friend of mine just finished building some down firing variants of the marty cube.

Here are some pics. Not painted yet...still deciding on finish. Hope this is ok to post here.

Nice! Will be very interested to see results on the sound of this "one upper cube". smile.gif
Claybe is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,627
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Very nice cube cousin :thumbup:
chalugadp is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,933
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 343
UXL's are not the best driver for bottom firing, it will sag over time (for anyone thinking about it)

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,627
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

UXL's are not the best driver for bottom firing, it will sag over time (for anyone thinking about it)

You mean I am going to have to get a sub lift for my cube ? tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif
chalugadp is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

UXL's are not the best driver for bottom firing, it will sag over time (for anyone thinking about it)

good to know!! Fwiw SI HT D2's are being used in the down firing MC's. smile.gif
basshead81 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
blah450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Clearance distance between floor and port affect anything with a down-firing Marty design as above?
blah450 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Senior Member
 
lemans24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I get a first port resonance of around 108hz with a port length of 62". Since winisd calculates the port length as too long, my port length will be around 51". Does the first port resonance change to with port length shortened? I assume so as the actual tuning should really be 20hz now instead of lower as calculated by winisd.
Can anyone confirm the new port resonance?? Design is for 6.3cf Marty cube with 2.75" x 22.5" x 51" port @ 20hz tuning
lemans24 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
splotten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Its the actual length of the port that decides the port resonance. I dont know if you measured the port resonance at 108Hz or calculated it, but if fits perfectly with calculation. I calculate 131Hz for the new shorter port.
splotten is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Senior Member
 
lemans24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post

Its the actual length of the port that decides the port resonance. I dont know if you measured the port resonance at 108Hz or calculated it, but if fits perfectly with calculation. I calculate 131Hz for the new shorter port.
Thanks...looks like I will need to implement a 4th order low pass filter around 80hz to make sure that resonance will not be audible...
I also checked excursion limits and port velocity for uxl-18 @ 2800 watts rms and I should be well within limits with a 2nd order high pass filter @ 20hz.
My only concern is the voice coil but I think I am within thermal limits...love all this audio techno theory!!!
lemans24 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Clearance distance between floor and port affect anything with a down-firing Marty design as above?

No it should not long as there is a few inches of clearence. Not different then placing a rear ported sub next to a wall. Boundries are just that, does not matter if they are walls, floors, or ceilings.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Clearance distance between floor and port affect anything with a down-firing Marty design as above?

I once went a little to far and felt it affected the performance but didn't keep it long enough. It's going to depend on the driver and xmax. I would give a 18" a good 3" - 3.5 minimum myself. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/101549-how-far-can-driver-down-firing-sub-floor.html

Here is a post by Bill F regarding the subject also. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466683/distance-to-floor-for-downfiring-sub
Quote:
The distance to the floor will affect the loading of the driver. If you're skilled enough with speaker modeling software you can calculate how the distance will impact the result. Otherwise it's a matter of trial and error, measuring the response with various height legs.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I once went a little to far and felt it affected the performance but didn't keep it long enough. It's going to depend on the driver and xmax. I would give a 18" a good 3" - 3.5 minimum myself. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/101549-how-far-can-driver-down-firing-sub-floor.html

Here is a post by Bill F regarding the subject also. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466683/distance-to-floor-for-downfiring-sub

I believe there is 3.5-4" of clearence on the downfiring MC's. wink.gif
basshead81 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,616
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I believe there is 3.5-4" of clearence on the downfiring MC's. wink.gif

So the real question is Bass, when are you going to come over to the darkside and build something?
jbrown15 is online now  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I believe there is 3.5-4" of clearence on the downfiring MC's. wink.gif

LOL.. I guess it would have been better to put your 2" quote in that reply rather than blahs question. Anyway yeah I'm with jb wondering when you might make the move?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Not for a while...my current room will not handle anymore bass. I need a dedicated theatre, that has no windows, with dedicated circuits, and is completely sealed. Then DIY will probably be a go. Although the Passive Captivators look pretty tempting too. Still not the value vs performance of DIY, but the gap is closer. smile.gif
basshead81 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Not for a while...my current room will not handle anymore bass. I need a dedicated theatre, that has no windows, with dedicated circuits, and is completely sealed. Then DIY will probably be a go. Although the Passive Captivators look pretty tempting too. Still not the value vs performance of DIY, but the gap is closer. smile.gif

Well it's good to see you over here. I certainly understand a guy only needs so much!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Well it's good to see you over here. I certainly understand a guy only needs so much!

I like it over here...getting tired of the same ol "what sub for 500.00" threads in the turn key section. If I had DIY subs I would probably just camp here. smile.gif
NWCgrad likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,880
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

UXL's are not the best driver for bottom firing, it will sag over time (for anyone thinking about it)

 

 

Are you referring to my once "Greek God" body which has morphed into something else?  Sounds all too familiar..............................:D

 

Age tends to be the great "Equalizer"....................... ;)

doublewing11 is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,627
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
My pc computer crapped out today. Either motherboard or hard drive done. Had it almost 5 years. I stream everything so it's a nightmare . Using my daughter's laptop but now I have to go get another tower. Grrrrr
chalugadp is offline  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
wvu80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

My pc computer crapped out today. Either motherboard or hard drive done. Had it almost 5 years. I stream everything so it's a nightmare . Using my daughter's laptop but now I have to go get another tower. Grrrrr

Rule of thumb is your computer is outdated about every 3 years. You got five good years, so it's all good. FYI I am a PC guy so if I can help you troubleshoot your problem, shoot me a PM or email, wvu80 at msn dot com. You might be able to simply plug in a few new parts and get some more mileage out of the old girl.

If it's the HDD that crashed, a Samsung EVO Solid State Drive will give your computer new life, but your motherboard must be able to support it. The 120 GB's are under a hundred bucks, and the 250's are about $160 from Newegg. Just like subs, bigger is better. cool.gif

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
wvu80 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off