MartySub Flatpacks - Page 34 - AVS Forum
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > MartySub Flatpacks
Flynnr's Avatar Flynnr 08:31 PM 03-03-2014

A 1tb hard drive is like $50-100 these days I would diagnose what is your problem before scrapping it!

On another note - I painted my box today!  Felt good to get that out of the way.  I had done 2 coats of primer last week and now two coats of latex black roll on paint and it looks very nice. 

Think I should do another coat or two?  The paint has covered very well so far.

I tried taking pictures but my entry way light is dim so I couldnt get a good shot as it just looks like a black blob on my cell phone.

Paxonator's Avatar Paxonator 08:39 PM 03-03-2014
Yes give us more details on what your pc is doing and we can help diagnose.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 09:11 PM 03-03-2014
Its not worth salvaging . I was hoping to get another six months. I don't play games anymore so I am going to get a mini tower. Thanks for the offer guys.
wvu80's Avatar wvu80 10:11 PM 03-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Its not worth salvaging . I was hoping to get another six months. I don't play games anymore so I am going to get a mini tower. Thanks for the offer guys.

Interpretation: I WANT A NEW COMPUTER!!!! tongue.gif
+++

The tablets are so popular now they have really put a hurting on the PC market. It is a buyers market for PC's right now, so you ought to be able to get a pretty good bang for the buck.

They do have bucks in Canada, don't they? wink.gif
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 10:13 PM 03-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post

Quote:

Interpretation: I WANT A NEW COMPUTER!!!! tongue.gif
+++

The tablets are so popular now they have really put a hurting on the PC market. It is a buyers market for PC's right now, so you ought to be able to get a pretty good bang for the buck.

They do have bucks in Canada, don't they? wink.gif

Not enough of them redface.gif
Our taxes are killer !!!!
Manic1!'s Avatar Manic1! 01:51 AM 03-04-2014
I don't know if they still do but PM high school had a CNC machine that was just sitting there unused do to the lack of software. chalugadp I wonder if you could get access to that.
blah450's Avatar blah450 03:35 AM 03-04-2014
Hey, Don...with regard to that PC. You could build yourself one if so inclined.
Very easy (really, no kidding on this one).
Newegg and a couple of other sites are a treasure trove for this stuff.
Pick up a really quiet mini-tower case, average motherboard & one generation ago i3 or i5 Intel cpu (or equal amd), 8 gigs of RAM, average vid card, maybe a bluray drive,
a very good and quiet power supply that is slightly overspeced for your build, and TWO identical hard drives that will be set up in a redundant RAID configuration
(this just means they will mirror each other...whatever you are saving/doing on one drive will be be done automatically on the other...if one goes down, you are still going
with the other and you can, in the meantime, replace the other and just copy the pre-existing good drive on to the new one...it will do that for you). This might sound complicated, but it is not.
Except for some incidentals, that's all you need.

If you wanted to go a little further, you could add one of those flash drives in and have the OS loaded on that...but this is complicating it more than it sounds like you need.

I would be happy to email/PM you and help out with this. Sounds like wvu80 is too.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 08:57 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post

I don't know if they still do but PM high school had a CNC machine that was just sitting there unused do to the lack of software. chalugadp I wonder if you could get access to that.

Its not the cutting that takes the time , its the packaging. Wrapping them up takes over an hour for one sub.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 09:21 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:

Its not the cutting that takes the time , its the packaging. Wrapping them up takes over an hour for one sub.

Back in the day I got this wild idea to sell 10cf subs as a hobby. The time it took to pack and the cost of packaging was atrocious. That mixed with a couple other factors I bowed out. Going the flatpack route is a much better approach with the customer providing the driver. Even at that, I know this has to be very time consuming for you chal.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 10:27 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:

That's only because you're not as awesome as Warren and I were at it!...lol

You should talk to Warren about a new PC Donny, he's telling me that he can build me a really nice HTPC for less then $500. So I'm thinking I'm going to put one down in my theater.
tgeorge34's Avatar tgeorge34 11:02 AM 03-04-2014
I have a couple of beginner questions for you guys...

Would the "martycube" 2x2x2 be big enough for the Mach 5ixl 18"?

Also, what is the difference between the inuke6000 vs the ep4000 besides just the generice specs? Is one more practical for home use, more stable? I noticed that some strongly have a preference for one or the other.

And lastly, can I use speaker wire to plug in my sub, or do I need to use a "speakon" connector from these amps.

Thanks!
TekkSki's Avatar TekkSki 11:06 AM 03-04-2014

I thought I would post a picture of the Dayton 18 HO. You can plan and measure but if you haven't seen an 18" sub first hand..... LOVE IT. Keep in mind I am a 6ft, 230 lb guy and this sub makes me look small. Amazing.

I waited on the sub to cut the recess and hole because I did not want to trust the numbers on the web. From my measurements the recess is exactly 18 1/8 in diameter. I made mine 18.25". The depth is almost exactly 1/16 shy of .5". I stopped there but next time would probably make it the even .5" deep. I only have the first recess circle cut so I don't have the width of it nailed down yet. This is all based on my measurements so far so take it for what it is worth. Maybe it will help someone.. who knows.

chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 11:25 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Quote:

That's only because you're not as awesome as Warren and I were at it!...lol

You should talk to Warren about a new PC Donny, he's telling me that he can build me a really nice HTPC for less then $500. So I'm thinking I'm going to put one down in my theater.

I will ,
You got post 1k. Where's our subs ?
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 11:57 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkSki View Post

I thought I would post a picture of the Dayton 18 HO. You can plan and measure but if you haven't seen an 18" sub first hand..... LOVE IT. Keep in mind I am a 6ft, 230 lb guy and this sub makes me look small. Amazing.

I waited on the sub to cut the recess and hole because I did not want to trust the numbers on the web. From my measurements the recess is exactly 18 1/8 in diameter. I made mine 18.25". The depth is almost exactly 1/16 shy of .5". I stopped there but next time would probably make it the even .5" deep. I only have the first recess circle cut so I don't have the width of it nailed down yet. This is all based on my measurements so far so take it for what it is worth. Maybe it will help someone.. who knows.

Even after having it for a couple weeks already I still walk by and see it, and giggle. Its impressive. Don't know if you have the box in the house yet but wait till you get it inside and compare it to say a front speaker or in my case, its even bigger than the ottoman. The wife couldn't believe I was going to do 2. biggrin.gif
wvu80's Avatar wvu80 12:00 PM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Hey, Don...with regard to that PC. You could build yourself one if so inclined.
Very easy (really, no kidding on this one).
Newegg and a couple of other sites are a treasure trove for this stuff.
Pick up a really quiet mini-tower case, average motherboard & one generation ago i3 or i5 Intel cpu (or equal amd), 8 gigs of RAM, average vid card, maybe a bluray drive,
a very good and quiet power supply that is slightly overspeced for your build, and TWO identical hard drives that will be set up in a redundant RAID configuration

(this just means they will mirror each other...whatever you are saving/doing on one drive will be be done automatically on the other...if one goes down, you are still going
with the other and you can, in the meantime, replace the other and just copy the pre-existing good drive on to the new one...it will do that for you). This might sound complicated, but it is not.
Except for some incidentals, that's all you need.

If you wanted to go a little further, you could add one of those flash drives in and have the OS loaded on that...but this is complicating it more than it sounds like you need.

I would be happy to email/PM you and help out with this. Sounds like wvu80 is too.

I'm with you, Mr. Blah. After all, this IS the DO IT YOURSELF forum, is it not? smile.gif
+++

What I was thinking was that his basic case, power supply are still current (ATX format), and he could re-use his CD ROM drive. As you said, add a new mobo (with built-in video chip to keep expenses down), some RAM (which is now cheap), and large cheap HDD (or smaller size but MUCH faster SSD) and he's in business.

I bet one of his students would even volunteer to put it together for him, with the requisite pay-off of some consideration, come grading time. wink.gif
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 12:02 PM 03-04-2014
Quote:

I will ,
You got post 1k. Where's our subs ?

Still waiting to hear from the courier, you weren't kidding when you said you are impatient were you...lol tongue.gif
TekkSki's Avatar TekkSki 02:23 PM 03-04-2014

I work in IT as well and though I would throw this out there for you guys as I just picked one up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227978&Tpk=20-227-978

Yes it is refurbished but it saves you money and OCZ gives you a 5 year warranty from date of purchase even on the refurbished drive. As or right now this is the fastest SSD according to Tom's Hardware and only $160!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-6.html

LTD02's Avatar LTD02 02:27 PM 03-04-2014
"I thought I would post a picture of the Dayton 18 HO. You can plan and measure but if you haven't seen an 18" sub first hand..... LOVE IT. Keep in mind I am a 6ft, 230 lb guy and this sub makes me look small. Amazing."

bravo!

...and congrats on keeping yourself in great shape as well!
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 02:31 PM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

a friend of mine just finished building some down firing variants of the marty cube.

Here are some pics. Not painted yet...still deciding on finish. Hope this is ok to post here.

very clever!

JohnDean's Avatar JohnDean 02:35 PM 03-04-2014
Not to derail this thread any further but I'm not an OCZ fan. I'll gladly sacrifice bench test speed for reliability anyday.
zeus33's Avatar zeus33 03:25 PM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkSki View Post

I work in IT as well and though I would throw this out there for you guys as I just picked one up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227978&Tpk=20-227-978

Yes it is refurbished but it saves you money and OCZ gives you a 5 year warranty from date of purchase even on the refurbished drive. As or right now this is the fastest SSD according to Tom's Hardware and only $160!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-6.html

Sorry for the off topic guys, but I highly disagree. OCZ drives were good a few generations back, but their newer stuff is very unreliable. There is a reason they went out of business and Toshiba bought some of their tech. I don't even know if Toshiba will honor the warranties on the OCZ drives. It states on that page that the warranty is 180 days:

Warranty
Limited Warranty period (parts): 180 days
Limited Warranty period (labor): 180 days

Of all the people that I know that use SSD drives, OCZ drives have the highest failure, BY FAR. Besides, that isn't even a good price. You can by new 250/256 gb drives for that price. Hard drives/SSD drives are something I would NEVER buy refurbished. What good does a warranty do when you lose all of your data? Yes, I know about back ups and do them religiously, but 98% of the people I know and deal with don't. Food for thought. Read the first few reviews on Newegg. That is very common with OCZ drives.

Yes, they test really high, but in the real world, they aren't any faster than reliable drives (Samsung, Intel, Crucial, etc.).

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 03:54 PM 03-04-2014
Apparently Warren is a computer guru and he may hook me up.
Claybe's Avatar Claybe 07:28 PM 03-04-2014
Quote:

Apparently Warren is a computer guru and he may hook me up.

Now that is settled, we need more pics of subs!!!!
jholzbauer's Avatar jholzbauer 08:39 PM 03-04-2014
Chalugadp, thank you and darn you. Amazing work here for bringing an easy solution to the masses but man why cant i just be happy with what i have? I've been running a sealed setup (2 dual opposed mfw15 + chase 18.1). I'm on concrete and I feel like I'm missing the kick you in the chest bass these Martycubes can deliver.

My dilemma is which driver to pick. Seems like most recommend the 6000dsp for the SI d2 sub. If I pick that amp are the d2 and Dayton 18ho pretty much equivalent? The 18ho will be about $100 more and the 6000dsp is $100 more than the 3000dsp. I don't mind paying the extra if there's a noticeable difference. Thanks!
Shan87's Avatar Shan87 08:52 PM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Sorry for the off topic guys, but I highly disagree. OCZ drives were good a few generations back, but their newer stuff is very unreliable. There is a reason they went out of business and Toshiba bought some of their tech. I don't even know if Toshiba will honor the warranties on the OCZ drives. It states on that page that the warranty is 180 days:

Warranty
Limited Warranty period (parts): 180 days
Limited Warranty period (labor): 180 days

Of all the people that I know that use SSD drives, OCZ drives have the highest failure, BY FAR. Besides, that isn't even a good price. You can by new 250/256 gb drives for that price. Hard drives/SSD drives are something I would NEVER buy refurbished. What good does a warranty do when you lose all of your data? Yes, I know about back ups and do them religiously, but 98% of the people I know and deal with don't. Food for thought. Read the first few reviews on Newegg. That is very common with OCZ drives.

Yes, they test really high, but in the real world, they aren't any faster than reliable drives (Samsung, Intel, Crucial, etc.).

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Funny, I tried out an SSD drive about a year or more ago and it was an OCZ and it lasted about 3 months... Loved the speed of the drive but haven't really decided to try an SSD again due to reliability concerns. redface.gif
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 09:03 PM 03-04-2014
My HTPC uses an SSD (samsung 840 pro installed in 2013) and my PC uses dual SSDs (2 x OCZ Agility 3 installed in 2012). Been flawless. However, the SSD is pure programs. All data is on HDD. The PC has 2 WD Black drives with one as backup to the other, and the HtPC has 3 (for now) Seagate 4tb drives running Flexraid.
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 09:26 PM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholzbauer View Post

Chalugadp, thank you and darn you. Amazing work here for bringing an easy solution to the masses but man why cant i just be happy with what i have? I've been running a sealed setup (2 dual opposed mfw15 + chase 18.1). I'm on concrete and I feel like I'm missing the kick you in the chest bass these Martycubes can deliver.

My dilemma is which driver to pick. Seems like most recommend the 6000dsp for the SI d2 sub. If I pick that amp are the d2 and Dayton 18ho pretty much equivalent? The 18ho will be about $100 more and the 6000dsp is $100 more than the 3000dsp. I don't mind paying the extra if there's a noticeable difference. Thanks!

For subs the si d2 is the equivalent of the ho for cheaper. I would then get the 6000dsp. Always good to have more power and you can always put the limiter on it like alphie does. Sorry about upgradeitis tongue.gif
Thatsnasty's Avatar Thatsnasty 09:37 PM 03-04-2014
Intel SSD's hands down, stupid speed and reliability.
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc 09:55 PM 03-04-2014
Well...since there has been a slight deviation in topic, what's a good motherboard for an AMD cpu and external video card? I'm working on assembling an htpc.
Flynnr's Avatar Flynnr 10:14 PM 03-04-2014

Back on topic -

First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop