AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

Back on topic -

Love it! Man I am kicking myself for not making it recessed like yours so that one day I could make a grill. It looks awesome. Its about half the size of your couch. biggrin.gif

Yamaha RX-V773
Behringer iNuke nu6000dsp
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1024 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

Back on topic -

Love it! Man I am kicking myself for not making it recessed like yours so that one day I could make a grill. It looks awesome. Its about half the size of your couch. biggrin.gif

Cess , how's it feel to be in bass heaven ?

Time for main speaker upgrade ? Its never sending biggrin.gif
cessna1466u likes this.
post #1025 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just a Curiosity..I am getting ready to build one of these. . What would you guys equate this to over in the pre made world? I read that chalugadp said it crushes his vtf15.. what normal sub would it be compared to if bought commercially. . I'm excited to build this. .I like making things and this win be my first speaker build.
post #1026 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not there yet, I have the vehicle but have not arrived... Some information. For those of you wondering about using Duratex, stop wondering and order it. This stuff is amazing. Covered all the small nail homes and sanding marks. I can still see the seam where the front baffle meets the sides but think its because its on the edge and its hard to get texture on there. I bought the gallon size, did 2 heavy coats on each and only used about 1/4 of the gallon, if that. Its very forgiving, not like paint with lines and such. Make sure you do the last stop with no pressure what so ever. I call it the bubble popper. Even with my 40degree weather, it dried to the touch within 2 hours.

Donny, I have already started thinking of the mains. Still like the MTMs from Erich but am not loving the purple mid. I know its stupid, but you know what happened with my inuke? I see Erich has a few new ones. These cubs are going to go in the front corners of the room. I am thinking that I might put my fronts next to them on the inside close to the TV. I like the idea of them having the same texture as the martys. This is with 2 coats of Duratex, 5/8" round over. I found one with a 1/4" shank.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #1027 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Well...since there has been a slight deviation in topic, what's a good motherboard for an AMD cpu and external video card? I'm working on assembling an htpc.

LOL! Where I come from, they call that "thread drift." smile.gif I think the mods are giving us a little latitude here because of the home theater PC angle.

Good job mods! (when was the last time your heard that?) tongue.gif
+++

Quick answer to your question is, I don't have a current recommendation. The only thing I would caution someone about is apparently the Samsung EVO SSD's (very highly rated in terms of reliability) don't work well with AMD chipsets, specifically the Marvel chipset.
+++

/thread drift
Regarding the Cessna pic, directly upstream; what is it you guys like so much about the Duratex finish? It looks very textured to me, not very attractive up close, but it looks much better from a distance. Wouldn't a flat black look a little more refined?

EDIT: Cess, I am such an idiot! Think of how smart I would be if I could read; I quote from your post:
Quote:
Some information. For those of you wondering about using Duratex, stop wondering and order it. This stuff is amazing. Covered all the small nail homes and sanding marks. I can still see the seam where the front baffle meets the sides but think its because its on the edge and its hard to get texture on there. I bought the gallon size, did 2 heavy coats on each and only used about 1/4 of the gallon, if that. Its very forgiving, not like paint with lines and such.

You answered my question very well! Sorry about that.

FYI my first SEOS build 1 cuft flat pack I used a couple of coats of flat black, but it doesn't look all that great either. I am now finishing up some 2.5 cuft enclosures, and I am mulling over the finish. At some point I'd like to include a couple of US Air Force wings somewhere, but I don't know exactly what I am trying to accomplish, except in a general way.
cessna1466u likes this.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #1028 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync View Post

Just a Curiosity..I am getting ready to build one of these. . What would you guys equate this to over in the pre made world? I read that chalugadp said it crushes his vtf15.. what normal sub would it be compared to if bought commercially. . I'm excited to build this. .I like making things and this win be my first speaker build.

I cannot tell you what it would compare to, but I will tell you that I had 2 Klipsch RW-12D subs and I know they are nothing to write home about, but they where pretty good and $999 MSRP, and just 1 of these marty cubes with no DSP and no calibration beat these 2 subs to submission.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #1029 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync View Post

I think the best commercial comparison is probably the svs pb13 ultra. At 2k.
post #1030 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I am not there yet, I have the vehicle but have not arrived... Some information. For those of you wondering about using Duratex, stop wondering and order it. This stuff is amazing. Covered all the small nail homes and sanding marks. I can still see the seam where the front baffle meets the sides but think its because its on the edge and its hard to get texture on there. I bought the gallon size, did 2 heavy coats on each and only used about 1/4 of the gallon, if that. Its very forgiving, not like paint with lines and such. Make sure you do the last stop with no pressure what so ever. I call it the bubble popper. Even with my 40degree weather, it dried to the touch within 2 hours.

Donny, I have already started thinking of the mains. Still like the MTMs from Erich but am not loving the purple mid. I know its stupid, but you know what happened with my inuke? I see Erich has a few new ones. These cubs are going to go in the front corners of the room. I am thinking that I might put my fronts next to them on the inside close to the TV. I like the idea of them having the same texture as the martys. This is with 2 coats of Duratex, 5/8" round over. I found one with a 1/4" shank.

We are probably having a gtg in july and if you pop up you could hear my minions , mtm , tempests , and possibly tux 1099.
post #1031 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

We are probably having a gtg in july and if you pop up you could hear my minions , mtm , tempests , and possibly tux 1099.

That would be awesome. I don't know if I can wait till July. Worried Erich will run out of options. If I end up in B.C. before then I will hit you up. I will bring dinner.smile.gif

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #1032 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:

Sweet, how many people do you think we can fit into your place?...lol tongue.gif
post #1033 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Quote:

Sweet, how many people do you think we can fit into your place?...lol tongue.gif

12, my view is awesome on the deck :beer:
post #1034 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

12, my view is awesome on the deck :beer:

On the deck? I want to be inside listening to them cubes...

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #1035 of 2576 Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
beautiful work on the close up of the durartex. what size nap roller did you use?
gives me something to shoot for when I get to my build for 2 "tallmarty's"

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 14.3, configurable from 10.3 and up
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR, RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #1036 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkSki View Post

I work in IT as well and though I would throw this out there for you guys as I just picked one up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227978&Tpk=20-227-978

Yes it is refurbished but it saves you money and OCZ gives you a 5 year warranty from date of purchase even on the refurbished drive. As or right now this is the fastest SSD according to Tom's Hardware and only $160!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-6.html

http://www.dailytech.com/OCZ+Goes+Bankrupt+SSD+Assets+are+Targeted+by+Toshiba/article33848.htm

post #1037 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I think the best commercial comparison is probably the svs pb13 ultra. At 2k.

I'm the biggest noobie on here but would it really though? Does not seem to even break the 100db mark.

My understanding is that the rule of thumb dictates that every 10db is "twice as loud"

I'm building the Dayton HO 18 in the martycube so the black line in the graph below

Using just the two graphs, the Dayton in the marty cube would be 22db louder at 20hz. Again I'm a noobie so if I'm wrong please educate me. This would seem to suggest that the martycube would smoke two of the pb13's... am I off?

post #1038 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkSki View Post

Using just the two graphs, the Dayton in the marty cube would be 22db louder at 20hz.
The graph from SVS is generated with very little power - probably 1 watt. There's an asterisk and foot note to that effect on the SVS website. They don't want to advertise max SPL, because then they have to explain all the assumptions they made about room gain and listener distance - it's better for them to use a standardized technique like this. Plus, when the sub is going full tilt there will be distortion considerations and power compression and other non-linear abnormalities that they don't want to mess up the very nice flat response they've managed.

post #1039 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is databass of svs
4ezuhe8e.jpg

The numbers are within 3-4 dbs .
TekkSki likes this.
post #1040 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

"Regarding the Cessna pic, directly upstream; what is it you guys like so much about the Duratex finish? It looks very textured to me, not very attractive up close, but it looks much better from a distance. Wouldn't a flat black look a little more refined?"

Yes the textured look takes a little to get used to and reminds me of bedliner material but when tucked in a corner you cannot tell and it has more of a satin finish than glossy or flat. The reason I don't like flat is because when you rub your hand or pass a finger on it you can see the white chalky mark and trust me I will be rubbing all over these babies.biggrin.gif

Glossy is hard for me to do, because I am a freak about certain things. I will fuzz over the paint job until I suck all the fun out of building one of these. I hate painting because of this. It has to be perfect and I am not a very good painter so I end up doing multiple coats or starting over multiple times. I probably wont do such a thick texture with my mains and surrounds. I will get a different roller and smooth it out a little. This duratex is like a paste almost and you can run a smooth roller over it as soon as it starts to set a little and flatten it down. I will try that on the mains.

The other reason I like it is that its durable. 4 kids, 1 dog, clumsy husband and you get the picture. When I had 1 of the cubes inside the house while working on the second, I found laundry on top of it, one of the kids put his drink on it and my 7 year old thought that it was a nice bench. I should be wrapping it in concrete to survive this house, but duratex was easier.biggrin.gif

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #1041 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post

beautiful work on the close up of the durartex. what size nap roller did you use?
gives me something to shoot for when I get to my build for 2 "tallmarty's"

Thank you, that was with my iphone. I cannot believe how good these cameras are getting. Anyways, I purchased the roller from acrytech. It was only around $5 and if they use it and recommend it I figured it was best. To be honest I have not seen any other rollers like it at HD or Lowes. Granted I have not gone looking but I cannot recall seeing one like it. It is very open cell-ish if that makes any sense. It can go on as thick and lumpy as you want it. I went pretty thick. The paint itself is not textured, the texture is made with the roller. When I did it you can see the bubbles, so my last pass barely touches the surface. I called it the bubble popper.

Here is what the roller looks like.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #1042 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Liked: 15

Well I just joined the club.. exciting but a little overwhelming. I'll be using Marty Cube with an  Inuke 3000dsp and for driver I'm hoping to get an SI-D2 (hopefully they ship to Ont.Canada). I like that Duratek finish also, a little glossy but seems bullet proof like the rest of this design. I'm replacing an SVS PB-12NSD.

Stephan

post #1043 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharleb View Post

Well I just joined the club.. exciting but a little overwhelming. I'll be using Marty Cube with an  Inuke 3000dsp and for driver I'm hoping to get an SI-D2 (hopefully they ship to Ont.Canada). I like that Duratek finish also, a little glossy but seems bullet proof like the rest of this design. I'm replacing an SVS PB-12NSD.

Stephan

Welcome Scharleb, you will receive your membership card in the mail in a few weeks. It will come with a straight jacket you can use for the rough days.biggrin.gif As far as shipping to Canada I am sure they do, Chaluga has one and he is in CAN also. The duratex is actually not glossy at all, it is more of a satin finish. The picture I took was right after it was applied and still very much wet. It dies to a more satin finish. I will take another pic this morning. Order the sub soon, they will be gone. Look on here for the fan mod for the amplifier and if you are brave you can paint it black to match.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #1044 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 AM

Sub ordered!! Wow!! So looking forward to this...

Stephan

cessna1466u likes this.
post #1045 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Liked: 14
This thread has me really considering switching from two PSA XV15s to two MartyCubes. Hmmmm....
LTD02 and cessna1466u like this.
post #1046 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharleb View Post

Stephan

Hey Stephan,

Where in Ontario are you located? if you are close enough to the Sarnia/Port Huron border or Niagara/Buffalo border, you can use a freight forwarder. I use US parcel pickup in Port Huron and bring my stuff over myself....saves a pile of money
post #1047 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by precisi0n12 View Post

This thread has me really considering switching from two PSA XV15s to two MartyCubes. Hmmmm....

It also has me thinking of replacing my 2 PSA XS30's with 2 MartyCubes. Not sure what to do? I built Fusion 10 Pure's now have the itch to build more.
cessna1466u likes this.
post #1048 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestion...I ordered shipped FedEx. Maybe next time..my passport is expired anyhow..

SC

post #1049 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

a friend of mine just finished building some down firing variants of the marty cube.

Here are some pics. Not painted yet...still deciding on finish. Hope this is ok to post here.

So does anyone see any issues doing something similar to this with my build when I do it? I like the idea of downfiring because I have small kids and don't want them to go poking and playing around with the new speaker...ever! hahahaha...I will be using the SI 18 D2, I am assuming it doesn't have any issues with sagging in a downfiring configuration?

I haven't decided to do this for sure yet...I may just do the standard cube, inset the driver and make a speaker cover for it too ...that seems to keep them from messing with my currents subs..
post #1050 of 2576 Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisi0n12 View Post

You should talk to jbrown. He is switching from two psa 30's to two big marty's . He should have it up and running soon and he could give you a good comparison. THe bigger marty is better below 25hz but very similar above 25hz to the cube.
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page