Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

You already have two full martysubs and your getting four more 18's ?

Hey come to jbs summer gtg on the west coast :sly:

Seems that all of my visitors who experience my setup (Marty + Sentinels) end up making an offer for the whole setup. In fact, I have already agreed to sell my complete setup to one of my close friends and I will ultimately end up with 2 large Sonos behind my AT screen and 2 Cubes placed elsewhere within the room---so ONLY four subs in total. I will replace my Tempests with either the upcoming Sentinel V2s, Sentinel V1s or Tux's 1099. Just wish there was a GTG where these designs were going up against each other. My other friends will all be going the Marty/Cube/SEOS DIY route and most of them have already sold off their gear---so no turning back now. And yeh, I would love to attend JB's GTG.

Stop inviting friends over who take your system tongue.gif

If your not.on a tight budget the uxl does make a significant difference . With four subs however I think you will be fine..

I agree about a diysoundgroup shootout ! Sentinel , tempest , and tux 1099 all in one room. 10-15 people in a blind test. For home theater use and music. All with same sub system . Jtr and seaton speakers are just out of my budget so not interested in those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32

Couple of pics of mine with a grill -

post #1173 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Stop inviting friends over who take your system tongue.gif

If your not.on a tight budget the uxl does make a significant difference . With four subs however I think you will be fine..

I agree about a diysoundgroup shootout ! Sentinel , tempest , and tux 1099 all in one room. 10-15 people in a blind test. For home theater use and music. All with same sub system . Jtr and seaton speakers are just out of my budget so not interested in those.

Yep, those three designs in one room for a blind test will provide a lot of answers for a lot of folks. JTR and Seaton out of my reach too--unfortunately. With regard to the UXL-SI comparison, I might be okay SPL-wise, but I wonder about the overall sound quality differences between the two.
post #1174 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Well I still haven't put up an "official" thread yet for hosting a GTG, but we'll have some Tempest's theater and Ryan was saying that he'll try hard to get some 1099's there too. So now we just need someone to order some Sentinel's from Erich and build them for the GTG.

Come on chalugadp! you need to sell some more Marty flat packs so you can build some Sentinel's and if you don't like them just sell them!..lol
post #1175 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

Hey Flyn, your sub turned out really nice and the grill adds a classy touch. Just be careful the driver doesn't keep coming into contact with it during high excursions
post #1176 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Well I still haven't put up an "official" thread yet for hosting a GTG, but we'll have some Tempest's theater and Ryan was saying that he'll try hard to get some 1099's there too. So now we just need someone to order some Sentinel's from Erich and build them for the GTG.

Come on chalugadp! you need to sell some more Marty flat packs so you can build some Sentinel's and if you don't like them just sell them!..lol

Yeh, Donny, go for it!!!!.
post #1177 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Hey Flyn, your sub turned out really nice and the grill adds a classy touch. Just be careful the driver doesn't keep coming into contact with it during high excursions

I am not done with it - it is getting a .5" spacer in all 4 corners, which will be 2" from the mounting plane to the cloth.  (2x pieces of mdf = 1.5" = spacer)

post #1178 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Liked: 16

Quick question. I got her fired up today and shook the whole house. I have the dayton single voice coil 4ohm and using the 3000dsp. She is loud as heck in the dual mono mode (only wired to channel A) but when I bridged the amp the sub is much quieter. I'm a bit confused. Dual mono channel A puts out 600w RMS at 4 ohm but Bridged channel A should put out 2000w RMS. So i read and found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

in bridge mode, 1+ is your positive and 2+ is your negative. a cable with four wires is NOT required. a two wire cable is fine, but switch the wire from the 1- pin to the 2+ pin.

So I simply took the wire that was going to 1- and put it to the 2+ on the speakon connector (sub at the other end) and plugged the cable back in. At that point I got nothing coming from the sub at all. I'm sure it is something simple but I don't want to experiment and break something. Any help is much appreciated.

cessna1466u likes this.
post #1179 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Liked: 18
Did you make the switch on both ends of the speakon connector cable itself?
post #1180 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM

No I left the cable the way I got it. That must be it? I'm a visual guy anyone have a hand diagram for this somewhere?

post #1181 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Liked: 18

The image on the right gives you an idea of what the inside of the speakon connector looks like. Just unscrew the little screw holding the 1- wire and transplant it to the 2+. Do this on both ends of the cable smile.gif
Rebel975 and TekkSki like this.
post #1182 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yeh, Donny, go for it!!!!.

Maybe I will if they have v2 sentinel ready. I am sure sentinel won't be a disappointment.

As far as sound quality of uxl18 vs si18 , that's hard to measure. Maybe i will try a blind test and have my kids turn off amp to each sub. Play single sub and see of there level matched if I can tell a difference ?

Do people think I could ?
post #1183 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm watching movie Hanna. I can't imagine needing anymore midbass. Bullets , punches , are chest pounding threw the cubes. Anymore midbass and it would take away from the overall sound experience . I don't run my bass hot. Usually run it 1-2 dbs cold.

What I want now is more roaring guitars , and symphony scores . Like the music typically in lord of the rings. My minions do well but can't keep up to the cubes. I need to get over the jbrowns and here his mains. cool.gif
post #1184 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm watching movie Hanna. I can't imagine needing anymore midbass. Bullets , punches , are chest pounding threw the cubes. Anymore midbass and it would take away from the overall sound experience . I don't run my bass hot. Usually run it 1-2 dbs cold.

What I want now is more roaring guitars , and symphony scores . Like the music typically in lord of the rings. My minions do well but can't keep up to the cubes. I need to get over the jbrowns and here his mains. cool.gif

All the more reason you need those Sentinels (V1 or V2). It's really good to know those cubes are so good. BTW, what became of your full sized Marty?
post #1185 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

The sentinels are a great match to the uxl-18 in my opinion if you have the room...
post #1186 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

All the more reason you need those Sentinels (V1 or V2). It's really good to know those cubes are so good. BTW, what became of your full sized Marty?

That's funny ,
When my first cube went in I put the full marty in the far corner. Then I threw it off my deck onto the ground below. Sat their till today when I moved it below my deck. It was killing the grass underneath it.tongue.gif
post #1187 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:

I need to get over the jbrowns and here his mains. cool.gif

Well the only thing holding you up from hearing them is you!...lol
post #1188 of 2576 Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I need to get over the jbrowns and here his mains. cool.gif

Well the only thing holding you up from hearing them is you!...lol
Now have four flatpacks to make this week so it will have to wait till following week.

With these new main speaker designs coming soon to diysoundgroup I think I am going to get the oppo 103 darbee next. Then by the summer they should be out and have some reviews . Time to give the video in my system a little love eek.gif

And if your thinking that I change my mind a lot your right :sly:
post #1189 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
chaluga...and anyone else...when you order your Oppo...call them with the order. Ask if they have any reconditioned units. Frequently, their site says no stock on their recon units, but they may have some.
Full warranty still provided...and you save $80 or so bucks. Not sure if there would be any reconditioned 103 Darbee units yet...but it might be worth a phone call if you don't mind a fully warrantied recon unit and want to save some $.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1190 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do the ports act like 3 individual ports ? has anyone ever tried blocking 1 and measured to see the difference ??

Just curious ??
post #1191 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Do the ports act like 3 individual ports ? has anyone ever tried blocking 1 and measured to see the difference ??

Just curious ??
They do. Blocking one would lower tuning. This is just like how the HSU and SVS subs work when they say you have variable tuning.
post #1192 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post

They do. Blocking one would lower tuning. This is just like how the HSU and SVS subs work when they say you have variable tuning.

Hey you could start your own customized port-bung business AG. : )

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #1193 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Hey you could start your own customized port-bung business AG. : )

We should start building and selling martycubes while we are at it... who is in? lol

post #1194 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

I love it Flynn, what kind of speaker cloth is that? Looks nice and thick.

Yamaha RX-V773
Behringer iNuke nu6000dsp
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1195 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkSki View Post

We should start building and selling martycubes while we are at it... who is in? lol

Lol.. I think chal has that covered. wink.gif you can do the bungs though : ) well if chal says it's ok.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #1196 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkSki View Post

Lol.. I think chal has that covered. wink.gif you can do the bungs though : ) well if chal says it's ok.

Bungs are awesome to make wink.gif
If someone wants to make grills , go for it. cool.gif
post #1197 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I am sorry Chaluga, I have you beat on the puny mains category. These are my current mains, I sold my other ones to kind of pay for the Martys. They sound pretty good, for 4" speakers.

Haha..i will be running this sub with the energy take surrounds...was afraid to admit it..but looks like I'm not the only one who will have a beefy sub and puny mains...that's the next project eventually
cessna1466u likes this.
post #1198 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Quote:

Just curious ??

Has anyone actually tried and measured the difference ?
post #1199 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just curious ??

Has anyone actually tried and measured the difference ?

I haven't but I might give it a try just to see.
post #1200 of 2576 Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just ordered an oppo 103d. Can someone pm me who has one of these 103 models ?. I have a few questions and I don't want to post in the oppo thread. Just hookup and settings questions . :what:
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page