post #1261 of 2576 Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

I too am interested in the MartCube. How much would shipping be for 4 Cubes to 95762?

I am also curious to know if it would be possible to change the dimensions to get the sub shorter than 24" in one dimension. I'll be placing behind if possible an AT screen but 18" is about all I have. Otherwise I could place to bottom left and right. I'm just curious if 18" x 30" x 30" might be another alternative. And if so what is the limit to how skinny it could be?

I was thinking of going with something like a JTR S2 but even 2 of them is going to be out of budget much less 4 for better smoothing. Speaking of an S2 how would the Marty stack up against one of those? Any frequency graphs out there to compare?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

On another note, if this all works out I would love to see if anyone is in the greater Sacramento, CA area that is interested in helping a nube out with building these. I would be willing to pay as well. I haven't built anything beyond a simple garden box for my wife and I'm pretty intimidated by the prospect of building these to have on display in my house!

Pm sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2576 Old 03-12-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 841
that's right.

so long as the volume of the enclosure remains the same, the form factor can be altered (within reason) and the performance will be the same.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1263 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I wonder how the new Chane Theater Ten's would compare to the HSU's.
http://chanemusiccinema.com/Theater-Ten

Those look nice...I will pass the info on but I do think they may be out of his budget.
post #1264 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

New toy ,

ja3abene.jpg
a6apyzus.jpg
aqurabuv.jpg

Got it running and took awhile to get it dialed in. My tv picture settings were tailored to the dune. Then I played with darbee. I like hidef setting at 80%.

Only.thing I can't get working is network access to my pc. Sharing is on . The oppo sees my pc , sees the d drive , but when I click on it , it asks for username and password . Don't know which one its asking for. Is this the homegroup ?

Nice, let me know how the picture with and without darbee.
post #1265 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Dont take this thr wrong way but Everything I've read is that in blind tests you can not accurately depict the difference between higher end HD sources and low end. Similarly, from a certain distance (15ft?) You cant accurately tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I am sure there are many extra settings to tweak so it looks best to the specific user, but in a blind test I would put my money on the OP not being able to tell the difference 10 out of 10 times, or close to it.
post #1266 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Here is a pic of one of the down firing marty cubes finished. He decided to go with rustoleum deck restore in white.

Very nice!!,..Do you know how high they are,...probably around 29-30" ??
post #1267 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Very nice!!,..Do you know how high they are,...probably around 29-30" ??

I believe 28-30" I will have to double check with him.
post #1268 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

Dont take this thr wrong way but Everything I've read is that in blind tests you can not accurately depict the difference between higher end HD sources and low end. Similarly, from a certain distance (15ft?) You cant accurately tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I am sure there are many extra settings to tweak so it looks best to the specific user, but in a blind test I would put my money on the OP not being able to tell the difference 10 out of 10 times, or close to it.

I understand what you mean Flynn, since my wife and kids couldn't tell you the difference between a DVD, Blu-Ray or even Satellite TV. smile.gif Especially since my AVR does upconverting to 1080p. So I started to wonder the same thing, why buy a 500 Blu-ray when my PS3 or even my $60 Samsung work the same and will only go to 1080P? Then I did some research and I cannot find the page right now and don't even know if its true but it might be the reason people get the higher end players like the oppo. It said that blu-rays playing from regular players where ok on smaller screens but when you got into projection screens that are 108" the higher end players where able to basically stretch that 1080p picture better than the cheaper ones.

I don't know if any of that is true, remember this is the guy that asked how to wire a sub in series, so take it for what its worth. Maybe Chaluga is thinking of getting a projector? A nice 120" one. It might be jumping on the band wagon kind of purchase but every time I see a really nice high end Home Theater the blu-ray playing seems to be done by an oppo. Another thing I hear is that the media player part of these are much better than the cheapos. It actually has a full service media player, where like my daughters samsung will only play pictures, music and certain video files, not mp4 which is a very common file format.
post #1269 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I understand what you mean Flynn, since my wife and kids couldn't tell you the difference between a DVD, Blu-Ray or even Satellite TV. smile.gif Especially since my AVR does upconverting to 1080p. So I started to wonder the same thing, why buy a 500 Blu-ray when my PS3 or even my $60 Samsung work the same and will only go to 1080P? Then I did some research and I cannot find the page right now and don't even know if its true but it might be the reason people get the higher end players like the oppo. It said that blu-rays playing from regular players where ok on smaller screens but when you got into projection screens that are 108" the higher end players where able to basically stretch that 1080p picture better than the cheaper ones.

I don't know if any of that is true, remember this is the guy that asked how to wire a sub in series, so take it for what its worth. Maybe Chaluga is thinking of getting a projector? A nice 120" one. It might be jumping on the band wagon kind of purchase but every time I see a really nice high end Home Theater the blu-ray playing seems to be done by an oppo. Another thing I hear is that the media player part of these are much better than the cheapos. It actually has a full service media player, where like my daughters samsung will only play pictures, music and certain video files, not mp4 which is a very common file format.

That was the first thought I had. I know I can tell the difference as I get closer but from a distance I can't. If I were to truly move up to a large screen I have no doubt the oppo would be much better suited for the task.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #1270 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is my totally subjective opinion of media players. I have had a few. My needs are playback of all types of files. I need mkv, mt2s, iso, flac, mp4, etc. It has to do audio codecs dtshd and dolby truehd along with the regulars. Most of my stuff is in mkv files ranging from 1 gig to 40 gigs for one file. It needs to play them on my network flawlessly. I hate getting into an action movie and then buffering, or judder, or audio drops.

Started with wdtv a few years back. It was comparable in quality( video & audio) with a ps3 or a budget player. Then I bought a boxee box. slightly better say 5%. Then I bought a dune d1 media player. Rock solid, played everything and nice picture. I'd say dune is 10-15% better then budget player. On a 70" screen that is a difference. When oppo came out with darbee processing on their model i was interested. I like a picture with a bit more punch and detail. After a night of watching several shows and clips from movies I would say that my oppo is 10-15% better then the dune. Two channel music is very nice through the oppo.

If your using a 50" tv or smaller then the improvements are minimal. At 70" and up I think the differences are significant. Not mind blowing but better. My next tv will be 80". I don't have the space for a projector.

I will post a couple of pics with darbee. I love the fact you can dial it in exactly the way you want.
cessna1466u likes this.
post #1271 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr View Post

Quote:

Quote:

This is my totally subjective opinion of media players. I have had a few. My needs are playback of all types of files. I need mkv, mt2s, iso, flac, mp4, etc. It has to do audio codecs dtshd and dolby truehd along with the regulars. Most of my stuff is in mkv files ranging from 1 gig to 40 gigs for one file. It needs to play them on my network flawlessly. I hate getting into an action movie and then buffering, or judder, or audio drops.

Started with wdtv a few years back. It was comparable in quality( video & audio) with a ps3 or a budget player. Then I bought a boxee box. slightly better say 5%. Then I bought a dune d1 media player. Rock solid, played everything and nice picture. I'd say dune is 10-15% better then budget player. On a 70" screen that is a difference. When oppo came out with darbee processing on their model i was interested. I like a picture with a bit more punch and detail. After a night of watching several shows and clips from movies I would say that my oppo is 10-15% better then the dune. Two channel music is very nice through the oppo.

If your using a 50" tv or smaller then the improvements are minimal. At 70" and up I think the differences are significant. Not mind blowing but better. My next tv will be 80". I don't have the space for a projector.

I will post a couple of pics with darbee. I love the fact you can dial it in exactly the way you want.

From a larger screen format...especially a projection screen (let's say 100" and up)...the Darbee "processing" will without a doubt be easily noticeable by most viewers. It makes a worthwhile difference for most. I will hazard a guess that most viewers will not even want it at higher than 70 or so with most playback sources. The Darbee is working different algorithms than processing being used by the latest Sony projectors and a few others.

The Oppo line of players has been phenomenol for many reasons: reliability, ability to play many, many formats well, ability to play discs with defects, great audio section in addition to its video section that can upscale so well...and finally region-free (if you want to hack...I. of course, am not saying I support this activity). And certainly you can now include its media service interactions with its latest models.

I happen to run a 103 and JVC projector with an external Darbee and 100" Carada screen. The set-up has been phenomenol in every way. Had an Oppo almost 10 years ago, bought a second...sold them when my philosophy changed and I thought I could get away with less expensive offerings from Panasonic and Sony. After many years and players, I returned to the Oppo stable with the 103 about six months ago, a stand-alone Darbee, and will not look back.

There is a great thread (with pics!) discussing the Darbee unit and will attempt to find the link and post later.

edit...here's the thread...first page or two is of particular note (Zombie knows his stuff!):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/projector-mini-shootout-thread-2013-2014

Sorry for all of this, Don. Thought it might be of interest and figured it is on topic with what you were discussing. Let me know if I overstepped my bounds.
cessna1466u likes this.
post #1272 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Here is a pic of one of the down firing marty cubes finished. He decided to go with rustoleum deck restore in white.

Do you have any other pics and overall dimensions? This is what I'm looking at doing. Thanks
post #1273 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for all of this, Don. Thought it might be of interest and figured it is on topic with what you were discussing. Let me know if I overstepped my bounds

No worries ,
I prefer to chat with you guys then go to different thread for each item. Were always looking to upgrade biggrin.gif
post #1274 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for all of this, Don. Thought it might be of interest and figured it is on topic with what you were discussing. Let me know if I overstepped my bounds

No worries ,
I prefer to chat with you guys then go to different thread for each item. Were always looking to upgrade biggrin.gif

Yes plus ultimately we are all marty owners, marty want-to-be owners or marty fans, so its all within the thread topic.biggrin.gif
post #1275 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADPT View Post

Do you have any other pics and overall dimensions? This is what I'm looking at doing. Thanks

I would think that overall its still the same footprint as the original Marty cube, just 3-4" taller to account for the feet to have it downward firing.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #1276 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42

Dumb Question Ahead: 

Should the inner and outer baffle be glued together and then glued into box or glue into box one baffle at a time at a time?

How is the glue applied to make this baffle sandwich:  thin layer completly everywhere??

Donny, why is my flat pack still in Vancouver!!! Lol...Just started tracking with puralator...

post #1277 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

No dumb questions here a all questions help others. I glued them together first because I also ran screws from the inside to hold the together instead on using weights or clamps. A thin layer of glue is good. No matter how much glue you use it will get sandwiched out.
post #1278 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans24 View Post

Dumb Question Ahead: 

Should the inner and outer baffle be glued together and then glued into box or glue into box one baffle at a time at a time?

How is the glue applied to make this baffle sandwich:  thin layer completly everywhere??

Donny, why is my flat pack still in Vancouver!!! Lol...Just started tracking with puralator...

I just finished a baffle for someone else. I cut both pieces for front baffle . Then I glue them together with glue in the areas that don't get cutout . I put about 20 brad nails around the outside . Then I router out the recess and cut out the inner ring. I spend as much time on the baffle as the rest of the cutting .

All you have to do is install it with glue and I recommend screws.

Shipping is slow cause its
u8abeben.jpg
post #1279 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:

No dumb questions here a all questions help others. I glued them together first because I also ran screws from the inside to hold the together instead on using weights or clamps. A thin layer of glue is good. No matter how much glue you use it will get sandwiched out.

Ok good...thats what i will be doing.

Now mounting the driver...lots of options.

I want to use threaded inserts (hex drive) but should I do that before the baffle sandwich is glued into the box or after?

Of course this assumes I have the driver, which I don't right now...

post #1280 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I just finished a baffle for someone else. I cut both pieces for front baffle . Then I glue them together with glue in the areas that don't get cutout . I put about 20 brad nails around the outside . Then I router out the recess and cut out the inner ring. I spend as much time on the baffle as the rest of the cutting .

u8abeben.jpg

Lol!! No kidding...

But wait...did you do this with my baffle that you are sending me or they 2 seperate baffles? Makes sense to have them pre-assembled as part of the flat pack, no??

post #1281 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Ok good...thats what i will be doing.

Now mounting the driver...lots of options.

I want to use threaded inserts (hex drive) but should I do that before the baffle sandwich is glued into the box or after?

Of course this assumes I have the driver, which I don't right now...

Putting inserts into mdf can be tricky . If you don't plan on removing the driver often(4-5 times) I would just use #10 by 1.25" screws . The gasket covers up the screw heads mostly . When you take it out and put it in just rotate driver.
post #1282 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

u8abeben.jpg

Lol!! No kidding...

But wait...did you do this with my baffle that you are sending me or they 2 seperate baffles? Makes sense to have them pre-assembled as part of the flat pack, no??

Everyone gets baffles assembled and fully ready. I run a classy company tongue.gif
cessna1466u likes this.
post #1283 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Everyone gets baffles assembled and fully ready. I run a classy company tongue.gif

Damn Donny...that is classy!! very good

Makes me want to argue all over again about why flat packs are so important to AIY people like me and not...just a box

How much does my marty cube weigh, approx??

post #1284 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn Donny...that is classy!! very good
Makes me want to argue all over again about why flat packs are so important to AIY people like me and not...just a box
How much does my marty cube weigh, approx??

yours is a beast

120lbs
post #1285 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought the threaded inserts and the allen head screws and after trying to figure out how to make it work, I chucked the whole idea and went with screws like Danny recommended. Like he said, when you screw in make sure you predrill with a smaller drill bit and don't over tighten them, MDF will strip and split very easily. After the screw is in, if you don't like the hole on the gasket you can always get 5/16" plastic hole plus like this.

post #1286 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:

yours is a beast

120lbs
WTF!!! That's a beast alright!!! Want to order another one already!!! Lol
Donny, keep that shop open buddy!! With the wonders of Internet, you will get a lot more orders than you expect!!!
Flat packs rule!!!
post #1287 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Cessna, that sub looks awesome!!!
I am so anal, I will get some scraps of MDF and do some testing of inserts and screws and see how difficult it will be.
No doubt I will only want put the 65lb beast of a driver in once!!!
I am leaning towards threaded inserts that will be glued in place.
Will test first though...
post #1288 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am so anal, I will get some scraps of MDF and do some testing of inserts and screws and see how difficult it will be.

Thanks Lemans, you are in canada and the cost would not be worth it but you are more than welcome to have the threaded inserts and bolts I bought. I wont be using them and they might as well go to someone that can use them. But I imagine the shipping to you would be pricey. If not you are welcome to them. Going from 98391. They probably weight about 1/2 lb.

post #1289 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Make preholes ,add wood glue, screw in and out a few times and finally leave out to dry .

Much simpler than inserts !..Makes very solid screw holes !!!
post #1290 of 2576 Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is some darbee pics
Darbee on the left , no darbee on right side of line.
yhy8uter.jpg
a3y4e4yr.jpg
zema9ude.jpg
Movie is walking with dinosaurs. Good bass when the big dinos walk.
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page