MartySub Flatpacks - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Ryan Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger99 View Post

What type of cables would be needed to connect the 3000 to a pioneer sc 37 receiver?

Assuming you just have a normal sub precut like my pioneer receiver you will just need this cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=4777&CAWELAID=1329450499&catargetid=320013720000011014&cadevice=t&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKH2sbnOxLwCFaZAMgodGFAAKg
dogger99 likes this.
Ryan Flynn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
I started cutting out the pieces for my first martycube. Couldn't finish because I actually have to do some teaching. Damn students mad.gifsmile.gif

I will start a seperate build thread and include some of it in the first post here.

The question today is how much is the martycube flatpack going to weigh ?

I brought my scale and will let you know later.

How about some guesses and see who gets the closest ? 45lbs,50... 55 ???biggrin.gif
chalugadp is online now  
post #183 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
aaronlinkous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41

67lbs



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aaronlinkous is offline  
post #184 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM
 
Ryan Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I guarantee you I could guess the closest smile.gif

Actually now that I think about it we are using different wood.

Mine is coming along nicely - only one hiccup last night (cut a board too short... Damn!)... Everything is cut minus the 1x1's to brace the box as I will just do that when the time comes.
Ryan Flynn is offline  
post #185 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mbw23air's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: KY
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
68lbs

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
mbw23air is offline  
post #186 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Chaluga, are you still using Birch? If your are, then I would say 60 lbs. BTW, is there any chance you can specifically identify exactly which Birch Ply you are using and which store you bought it from? I am in the Toronto/GTA area and if it's at any of the Stores I have access to I can pick up the same product. Unless, of course, MDF is the better choice.

thanks
atabea is offline  
post #187 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Chaluga, are you still using Birch? If your are, then I would say 60 lbs. BTW, is there any chance you can specifically identify exactly which Birch Ply you are using and which store you bought it from? I am in the Toronto/GTA area and if it's at any of the Stores I have access to I can pick up the same product. Unless, of course, MDF is the better choice.

thanks

Birch ply from rona. Plywood is easier to work with and cheaper here. Accepts nails and screws better.
chalugadp is online now  
post #188 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Birch ply from rona. Plywood is easier to work with and cheaper here. Accepts nails and screws better.

Thanks very much Chaluga, I will be visiting Rona either tonight or tomorrow. Is there a specific product number I should be looking for?

thanks

Rick
atabea is offline  
post #189 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,422
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 996
60 lbs sounds like a great guess. i'll take the "under" on that...59. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #190 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Thanks very much Chaluga, I will be visiting Rona either tonight or tomorrow. Is there a specific product number I should be looking for?

thanks

Rick
In BC here they only carry one model of 3/4" by 4' by 8' . The piece is exactly 48" wide so I had to make some small changes to my sizes of the sub (1/8"). If someone is using a 4 by 8 sheet that is 49" wide they will be fine.
chalugadp is online now  
post #191 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

In BC here they only carry one model of 3/4" by 4' by 8' . The piece is exactly 48" wide so I had to make some small changes to my sizes of the sub (1/8"). If someone is using a 4 by 8 sheet that is 49" wide they will be fine.

Thanks, Chaluga!!!
atabea is offline  
post #192 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
I started cutting out the pieces for my first martycube. Couldn't finish because I actually have to do some teaching. Damn students mad.gifsmile.gif

lol.. That’s a union issue and arbitration is called for here before things get out of hand.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
steve nn is offline  
post #193 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
aaronlinkous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post
 

67lbs

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

68lbs

 

 

You are terrible, terrible person!

 



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aaronlinkous is offline  
post #194 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Ryan Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
75lbs
Ryan Flynn is offline  
post #195 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Member
 
fr8doggr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
71.3 lbs.
fr8doggr is offline  
post #196 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mbw23air's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: KY
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post


You are terrible, terrible person!



Lol....sorry, but I now change my guess to 67.0000000001 lbs. wink.gif

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
mbw23air is offline  
post #197 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebel975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
pi^pi * 2


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rebel975 is offline  
post #198 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
The official weight is ................................................


.......................................................................................





........................................................................................





71.4 lbs
chalugadp is online now  
post #199 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Rebel975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

pi^pi * 2


My guess was approximately 72.92 lbs. Pretty close...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rebel975 is offline  
post #200 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,328
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

The official weight is ................................................


71.4 lbs


Hey, didn't you think the bigger 9cuft Mini Marty was going to be 85lbs?? wink.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif


Did you decide to not do the 9 cubic footer?

The smaller ported Cube is pretty much identical to the ported model I was working on for some of the 15" drivers. LTD02 helped figure the volume needed for them last year, but we never discussed dropping an 18" inside of it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

Erich H is online now  
post #201 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Fr8 you weren't even close redface.gif
chalugadp is online now  
post #202 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

The official weight is ................................................


71.4 lbs


Hey, didn't you think the bigger 9cuft Mini Marty was going to be 85lbs?? wink.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif


Did you decide to not do the 9 cubic footer?

The smaller ported Cube is pretty much identical to the ported model I was working on for some of the 15" drivers. LTD02 helped figure the volume needed for them last year, but we never discussed dropping an 18" inside of it.

Hey go fix that upside down 1099 picture wink.giftongue.gif:eek:
chalugadp is online now  
post #203 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Hey, didn't you think the bigger 9cuft Mini Marty was going to be 85lbs?? wink.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif


Did you decide to not do the 9 cubic footer?

The smaller ported Cube is pretty much identical to the ported model I was working on for some of the 15" drivers. LTD02 helped figure the volume needed for them last year, but we never discussed dropping an 18" inside of it.

So, in view of the now finalized cube (2x2x2), are you able to offer a flat pack for this little beast?
atabea is offline  
post #204 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,328
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 559
I was hoping the Cube would come in under 70lbs with plywood. Once you go over 70, you might as well break the kit into 2 packages because 2 smaller ones will cost the same as one that weighs over the 70lb mark. I'd figure a good 5lbs for packaging material for each of the 2 boxes. Ideally you can get all the big pieces in one box and be around 50lbs, then put the smaller ones in their own box. But finding a perfect shipping box might not be so easy.

If you need any pointers for packaging........I'll hook you up! biggrin.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

Erich H is online now  
post #205 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Hey, didn't you think the bigger 9cuft Mini Marty was going to be 85lbs?? wink.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif


Did you decide to not do the 9 cubic footer?

The smaller ported Cube is pretty much identical to the ported model I was working on for some of the 15" drivers. LTD02 helped figure the volume needed for them last year, but we never discussed dropping an 18" inside of it.

So, in view of the now finalized cube (2x2x2), are you able to offer a flat pack for this little beast?

I will once I have finished my two. Hope to be able to take orders Feb 18th. Have three people already signed up. You the fourth atabea ?
chalugadp is online now  
post #206 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I was hoping the Cube would come in under 70lbs with plywood. Once you go over 70, you might as well break the kit into 2 packages because 2 smaller ones will cost the same as one that weighs over the 70lb mark. I'd figure a good 5lbs for packaging material for each of the 2 boxes. Ideally you can get all the big pieces in one box and be around 50lbs, then put the smaller ones in their own box. But finding a perfect shipping box might not be so easy.

If you need any pointers for packaging........I'll hook you up! biggrin.gif

The fact that I am not the guru of packaging like u means one box. You.should see me with xmas presents. Also I have to drive these across the border for some people and ship from usa side. Can't tape box completely , they want to look in at the border. I will give a ballpark figure for shipping but the final amount will be per person . I might be asking you some questions.
chalugadp is online now  
post #207 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

I will once I have finished my two. Hope to be able to take orders Feb 18th. Have three people already signed up. You the fourth atabea ?

I was trying to prompt Erich into making flat packs available for the long term since you (as I understand it) will only be doing them for a limited time. I really think the cube will be very popular for a long time due to its WAF friendly size and the performance it offers. I might order a couple flat packs from you since I just found out Rona Ontario does not carry the Birch Ply you found in BC. I have a call out to a couple of places. Once I find out, I will let you know either way.

Rick
atabea is offline  
post #208 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
chalugadp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 964
I see myself making marty flatpacks till the end of the school year ( end of June) or till erich makes them way cheaper and puts me out of business cool.gif

If I make six or 16 doesn't matter. I just need six to make my front speakers and everything after that is gravy.
chalugadp is online now  
post #209 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,328
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

The fact that I am not the guru of packaging like u means one box. You.should see me with xmas presents. Also I have to drive these across the border for some people and ship from usa side. Can't tape box completely , they want to look in at the border. I will give a ballpark figure for shipping but the final amount will be per person . I might be asking you some questions.

I wish there was a way to let you use my FedEx shipping account to get lower rates. But when I asked about a year ago to help someone else out, I was told that I'd be liable for any damages or anything like that. And with these being bigger boxes, that might be an issue.

Not sure what shipping company you plan on using, but that 70lb figure is the magic weight for FedEx. Once you go over the shippers weight ceiling, rates jump very fast and it does end up being cheaper or the same price to ship in 2 smaller packages. Plus it would be safer. 75+lb packages get rolled and flipped a lot versus picking them up. And if they are picked up, most won't be sitting them down lightly, they just drop them.

I've been lucky to have no damages on those big boys, and some people send me photos of the package when it arrives.....looks like it went through a war zone. But they still made it okay. The secret is pallet protectors on the corners and foam! biggrin.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

Erich H is online now  
post #210 of 2576 Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,328
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

I was trying to prompt Erich into making flat packs available for the long term since you (as I understand it) will only be doing them for a limited time. I really think the cube will be very popular for a long time due to its WAF friendly size and the performance it offers. I might order a couple flat packs from you since I just found out Rona Ontario does not carry the Birch Ply you found in BC. I have a call out to a couple of places. Once I find out, I will let you know either way.

Rick

I can convert the ported 15's over to an 18" model with a little work if there is demand. But I don't want to steal Mr. Chalugadp's thunder right now.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

Erich H is online now  
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off