Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

I just saw Erich Stonehenge ported sub in his thread. Looks like a great design and I'm sure his price will be rock bottom. I will continue to make cubes but I can't compete when someone doesn't make a profit. Don't get me wrong , I would buy his as well if it's going to be 80 to 100 bucks cheaper. Looks easier to assemble as well.

I knew this was coming so it's part of the reason I spent time researching the thicker wood veneer panels I have been working with. My design needs more time to make sure the panels stay in place. In a month or so if my sub is holding together well I will offer people the chance to buy a flatpack of panels to cover a sub or regular speaker. If you want to try it on your own feel free to ask me questions. cool.gif

The only advantage EricH ported subwoofer design has over you is free delivery over the 48 US of A states!!
The Marty cube is still an excellent design and more so if you want a no compromise high perfomance 18" only subwoofer.

His will be tuned a little lower but is bigger in a living room. For at screens his is perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:

In my . signature is link to tutorial I did for inuke with rew.

Thank you. I will head there post haste.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #2253 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

^^^ the veneer ended up being 3/8". Any thinner and the screw would not have enough wood to grip. I'm not sure what you mean by wrapped over edge.

I have the paper thin veneer. By edges I mean all sides of the box that have a routered edge. If I put the veneer on, and then router the edges, I have no veneer left, as it has all been routered away. If I router the edges, and then apply the veneer I can't get it to wrap over the curved edge. Did you apply the veneer first, and then router? If so, I think the thicker veneer is the trick as it would still leave some veneer after you routered over it.

Also, I asked questions about the Tempest speakers, to which you responded to. Is there any other speaker kits that are similar that have a "prettier" speaker? I would be looking for something like a Paradigm look or something fancy. I know I can find some online, but I don't know if they are any good.
post #2254 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeorge34 View Post

Quote:

^^^ the veneer ended up being 3/8". Any thinner and the screw would not have enough wood to grip. I'm not sure what you mean by wrapped over edge.

I have the paper thin veneer. By edges I mean all sides of the box that have a routered edge. If I put the veneer on, and then router the edges, I have no veneer left, as it has all been routered away. If I router the edges, and then apply the veneer I can't get it to wrap over the curved edge. Did you apply the veneer first, and then router? If so, I think the thicker veneer is the trick as it would still leave some veneer after you routered over it.

Also, I asked questions about the Tempest speakers, to which you responded to. Is there any other speaker kits that are similar that have a "prettier" speaker? I would be looking for something like a Paradigm look or something fancy. I know I can find some online, but I don't know if they are any good.

The only way to have rounded corners with thin veneer is have a large roundover and pull veneer over. (Very hard unless you have vacuum press) or you can put solid wood inserts in. Yes I router corner after I flush trim it.

As for prettier then tempest speakers are you talking about enclosure or the drivers ?
post #2255 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Liked: 21
Solid wood inserts?

As for the tempests, I am talking about the driver itself. I would like to build some bookshelf speakers for our formal living room, with no grill. I would just buy a finished cabinet from parts express or something similar.
post #2256 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeorge34 View Post

Solid wood inserts?

As for the tempests, I am talking about the driver itself. I would like to build some bookshelf speakers for our formal living room, with no grill. I would just buy a finished cabinet from parts express or something similar.

Inserts like these
ge8e7ady.jpg

Depends what you want to use speakers for as to look you get. I like to crank it so I want huge dynamics, spl, and great sound. I can make them look great.
post #2257 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans24 View Post

The only advantage EricH ported subwoofer design has over you is free delivery over the 48 US of A states!!
The Marty cube is still an excellent design and more so if you want a no compromise high perfomance 18" only subwoofer.

The Martycube and the other one will likely end up being close to the same volume and tuning, just a different shape. Lots of people like a cube shape like Chalugadp's, and if so, that's the one to get. There isn't free delivery on either one though.

Chalugadp's started doing the cubes to get extra spending money for his theater and I said I'd wait for a couple months before finishing the ported ones I had been working on last year. It seemed like he was going to continue making them, so I decided to change my design so they'd be different.
post #2258 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

I just saw Erich Stonehenge ported sub in his thread. Looks like a great design and I'm sure his price will be rock bottom. I will continue to make cubes but I can't compete when someone doesn't make a profit.

As mentioned in the other thread, there's extra added in because a friend of mine helps package the bigger flat packs.
post #2259 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just so it's clear making the cubes is a side project for fun and a little spending money. I already did better then I thought and Erich was very generous in waiting to put out his ported design.

It wouldn't be fair for me to have bought his speakers at cost and saved loads of cash and have a product I am very proud of. And then complain about losing orders. I'm a little sad that cube orders will slow down because I liked the process of meeting new people, building them a speaker, and seeing them happy.
post #2260 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I don't think either of you (Erich/Chaluga) have anything to worry about. This is a community and as such we all try to get along and do what is best. None of us are here to get rich, we are hear because we have the common goal of great sound and learning. Erich's flat packs will be great for those that need that kind of space. Its a bit more complicated than the cube but it serves it purpose, its great for behind the screen placement and agains the wall. The cube has its place as well, some people like the cube and want the front firing ports. Both are awesome designs. Chaluga I think even after you get your speakers and you are not longer making the flat packs you and LTD will be the go to guys for questions or design ideas about the marty cubes. You just opened up a whole new design idea with the thicker veeners. I see a lot of interest for those already.
post #2261 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How's your build order coming cess ?
post #2262 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 189
post #2263 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Found a 6000dsp today, open box and shipping from Calif for $319 Shipped. I am going to do a thread on how to paint it. I keep tracking my first MTM from Erich, it will be here on tuesday an I will start then. I need to figure out a way to paint/stain the purple woofer or make a grill for them. I just know its going to bother me. I have someone local that wants me to make him some PA cabinets but I have not heard back from him. Besides that I am waiting patiently for DVD's to sell, I have been going through cabinets and drawers selling everything I don't need to make more money for the rest of the MTMs and the Coax surrounds.
post #2264 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

is 3 days up yet?  I want to see the lacquer on that sexy sub : )

Put final coat of oil on it this morning. Should put lacquer on Monday. Then it comes home.

Oh by the way shipped out a cube today that I used ultralight mdf. Instead of 105lbs with regular mdf it was 75 lbs. Love the light mdf.
post #2265 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Found a 6000dsp today, open box and shipping from Calif for $319 Shipped. I am going to do a thread on how to paint it. I keep tracking my first MTM from Erich, it will be here on tuesday an I will start then. I need to figure out a way to paint/stain the purple woofer or make a grill for them. I just know its going to bother me. I have someone local that wants me to make him some PA cabinets but I have not heard back from him. Besides that I am waiting patiently for DVD's to sell, I have been going through cabinets and drawers selling everything I don't need to make more money for the rest of the MTMs and the Coax surrounds.

I will be watching that painting thread. Lots of pics for us painting noobs:D
post #2266 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

I'll be watching cess's painting thread too.....

Im probably gonna be picking up another inuke ( prob 6kdsp ) and either selling my qsc. or moving it to the master bedroom to power another marty cube. 

so, ill need to paint the new one to match the other.  

Donny,

i never even new ultralight MDF existed.  Thats pretty cool.  Next time im at the depot, ill check it out.  

cessna1466u likes this.
post #2267 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

When I take the inuke apart to paint I was thinking of doing the fan mod at the same time. The issue I have is that I have a door on my entertainment rack and have to keep it open since the inuke vents in front. The back of my rack is open. You think if I reverse the fans it would damage the inuke? It would them vent out the back. So instead of blowing air through it To the front it will suck the ht air out.
post #2268 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I take the inuke apart to paint I was thinking of doing the fan mod at the same time. The issue I have is that I have a door on my entertainment rack and have to keep it open since the inuke vents in front. The back of my rack is open. You think if I reverse the fans it would damage the inuke? It would them vent out the back. So instead of blowing air through it To the front it will suck the ht air out.

thats a good idea.  id say go for it.  but maybe just pick up a fan just a tad stronger to be safe.  

post #2269 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah most home theater stuff vents to the back but I think because these are meant to be for pro use and are usually I racks that have a sealed back they vent it forward.
post #2270 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:

That's not a good idea, the inukes have zero heat sinks inside of them and need constant air moving inside of it to keep cool.
cessna1466u likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #2271 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

That's not a good idea, the inukes have zero heat sinks inside of them and need constant air moving inside of it to keep cool.

Jbrown, there would still be airflow, just with the direction reversed, right?

Also, does anyone know if the beri will shut off to protect itself if it gets to hot? If so cess, couldn't u try it and just reverse the mod if it ever shuts off for this reason.
post #2272 of 2576 Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

Jbrown, there would still be airflow, just with the direction reversed, right?

Also, does anyone know if the beri will shut off to protect itself if it gets to hot? If so cess, couldn't u try it and just reverse the mod if it ever shuts off for this reason.

The fans don't pull a lot of air from behind them, it's your amp you can do what you want. But there's no way I'd do it to mine.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #2273 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 03:34 AM

Liked: 11
I work on the equipment in a silicon wafer fab that manufactures integrated circuits, and would like to share some of my experiences on cooling fans.

Some one here suggested having the air flow being pulled out of the Inuke amps instead of being pushed into them, and my experience on this has been that after a while of pulling heat out of a box of warm PC boards, the fans will burn out from the heat, or the plastic fan blades will disintegrate. Most of them are made out of plastic!

The big main thing is, having the heat flow away from the components inside the Inuke power amplifier chassis by some means either by convection or by a fan, without any obstructions.

Years ago they made a chimney for the top of the original Mac Plus computer, so that they didn't have to use a noisy fan, and it worked really great, but it did take up a lot of room on top of it. If you have the room for a large ugly chimney on top of your Inuke in place of its top cover and the fan, this might be a great idea; that is if you don't mind loosing your warranty.
post #2274 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25

I don't pretend to be an expert on this subject, but have watched the push/pull debate for years on computer building forums I frequent.  It's a hot topic, but the studies I've seen show push is a little (1-5%) more efficient than pull.  Here's an interesting quote I found from someone who actually did some scientific testing on the matter.

"Push Vs Pull - This depends on fan speed/power. The high speed fans at 2000RPM with a 38mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a push condition. The slow speed fans with 1350RPM with a 25mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a pull condition. I would estimate that performance line is likely to cross in the 1500-1700RPM range where they are equal. So.... slow speed = pull, high speed = push, medium speed = it doesn't really matter."

Given all that, it seems to me that getting a fan suited to the cfm and static pressure in the case is probably as important as anything.   I don't have an iNuke yet so don't know the setup, but if the fan is pushing across a radiator, it seems you'll want one that can handle higher static pressures. 

But I'm not expert on the subject.  Just throwing out some things I've seen.

post #2275 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Several forum members mentioned reversing the flow in the EP2500/4000 amps and having it cause overheating and shut down problems. And, the EP amps have an actual heat sink tunnel whereas the inukes do not. The design intent, I believe, is to push cool air over the board and all the components towards the front of the unit. By reversing this, cool air being pulled into the front will simply take the path of least resistance toward the fan(s). In my opinion, this will greatly reduce the air "saturation" effect that happens with the original configuration. It's your amp so try it at your own risk.
post #2276 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 309
My marty has a buzz/hiss. The louder the volume the louder the buzz, no matter what input I select on the receiver. I recently added a power conditioner plugging all equipment into it and a RCA ground loop isolator from my receiver to amp and the buzz/hiss still exists. In fact, the isolator made it worse. I unplugged all hmdi connections one by one and that made no difference. I'm not sure what else to try. Any of you experience this?

Pioneer Elite SC-71 - Polk RT20P (w/ 4 8" subs) - Polk CS245i center - Polk Monitor 75T
Custom MartySub, 18" Dayton 460 7cuft' cabinet w/ Inuke3000dsp at 1400 watts over 200lb! For sale : (
Toshiba 55" LED - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
post #2277 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Hey Cess,
Those buggers have been hard to find! Did they have any more in stock (that price is awesome also)? I just ordered from Sweetwater, but they are still at least a week out from getting stock.
post #2278 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scstockwell View Post

Hey Cess,
Those buggers have been hard to find! Did they have any more in stock (that price is awesome also)? I just ordered from Sweetwater, but they are still at least a week out from getting stock.

Thanks, I kept looking on Amazon and saw that they where listing new ones and 1 used one for $399. Clicked on the used one and found the name of the company listing it. I called them in person and asked about the used one and why it would be the same price as a a new one. He checked with Customer Service (his manager) and called me back and said he could sell it for $319. It is a great deal so I jumped on it.

There is a guy on eBay that has them listed for $459 but hasn't sold them. I called him and asked if he would match the price that everyone is selling them for and he said he would do $410 with free shipping since shipping to WA state was a lot. You might want to contact him if you want one sooner. I have his number, send me a message if you want to give them a call. Its a music store back east.
post #2279 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

My marty has a buzz/hiss. The louder the volume the louder the buzz, no matter what input I select on the receiver. I recently added a power conditioner plugging all equipment into it and a RCA ground loop isolator from my receiver to amp and the buzz/hiss still exists. In fact, the isolator made it worse. I unplugged all hmdi connections one by one and that made no difference. I'm not sure what else to try. Any of you experience this?

I had the same buzz noise, try removing the rca ground noise isolators, those things are junk, at least most of the ones I have had. After a while they stop working. Try using a cheater plug instead. They are about $3 at HD or Wal-Mart. It probably shouldn't be a permanent solution but my washer had one of these for over 8 yeas and never had a problem.

post #2280 of 2576 Old 04-05-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

Several forum members mentioned reversing the flow in the EP2500/4000 amps and having it cause overheating and shut down problems. And, the EP amps have an actual heat sink tunnel whereas the inukes do not. The design intent, I believe, is to push cool air over the board and all the components towards the front of the unit. By reversing this, cool air being pulled into the front will simply take the path of least resistance toward the fan(s). In my opinion, this will greatly reduce the air "saturation" effect that happens with the original configuration. It's your amp so try it at your own risk.

Thank you all for you input, this is why I asked here. I knew I would get the best answers. The inukes also have some kind of shroud that seems to concentrate the cool air coming in to the board and then it gets pushed out. Which as some of you stated will reverse the effect and be bad for the amp. I will leave the fans as is, but definitely doing the fan mod for quieter fans. The 6000 has 2 fans, double the noise.

Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page