AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

I don't remember thread
It was discussed in this very thread, but not much detail. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516724/martysub-flatpacks/960#post_24431426
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:

C'mon alpha! !!!
Time to get going on second:p

I know. But spending funds of outdoor activities for the summer atm rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I am confused, so it was not a ground loop buzz? By cutting out the frequency aren't you missing out on that frequency?

I thought it was a ground loop problem, but sounded high frequency. So playing with the filter it seemed like it was in the 2k range. So I just set a filter to kill everything above 1k. Since the sub only outputs 15hz to 90hz Im not missing anything. The buzz/hiss is now completely gone. I suspect the DAC in my receiver is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

What did you cut?

Everything above 1khz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Alpha, you played that demo music from the HT of the Month thread on your Martysub yet?

Also I may have the funding shortly to put together my first Martycube. tongue.gif

You should be blown away by it. Mine has surpassed every expectation I had, although I have reached the limits of it and already want more. Its worse than drugs. biggrin.gifwink.gif

And, I've not tried that demo music yet. Kind of scared cool.gif

Denon 4520CI on order - Polk 9.3 w/ wides
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
DIY sealed 15" x2 sub build almost started
Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 174
"I thought it was a ground loop problem, but sounded high frequency. So playing with the filter it seemed like it was in the 2k range. So I just set a filter to kill everything above 1k. Since the sub only outputs 15hz to 90hz Im not missing anything. The buzz/hiss is now completely gone. I suspect the DAC in my receiver is the problem.
Everything above 1khz."

Ok, I am sorry I am a bit slow but I still don't understand. Why would your subwoofer amp be doing anything with a frequency int he 2k range? Isn't it connected to the subwoofer output of your receiver and isn't the receiver set to send out anything from 90hz down? So is it that your crosssover inside your receiver is no good and it is sending everything to the subwoofer amp?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:

"I thought it was a ground loop problem, but sounded high frequency. So playing with the filter it seemed like it was in the 2k range. So I just set a filter to kill everything above 1k. Since the sub only outputs 15hz to 90hz Im not missing anything. The buzz/hiss is now completely gone. I suspect the DAC in my receiver is the problem.
Everything above 1khz."

Ok, I am sorry I am a bit slow but I still don't understand. Why would your subwoofer amp be doing anything with a frequency int he 2k range? Isn't it connected to the subwoofer output of your receiver and isn't the receiver set to send out anything from 90hz down? So is it that your crosssover inside your receiver is no good and it is sending everything to the subwoofer amp?

Right. But the DSP in the receiver isnt ultra high end. So at loud volume there is background noise which trickles to the sub amp and then to the sub. The woofer isnt moving, I think its just enough to cause some air flow. At least, this is my theory. Its the only way to explain why I am able to filter it out with the inuke DSP and why the noise raises and falls with the receivers volume.

Denon 4520CI on order - Polk 9.3 w/ wides
Sharp 60" - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
DIY sealed 15" x2 sub build almost started
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahh, probably same thing that is happening with mine when I do REW tests. I have to disconnect my mains because when I send the pink noise through even when selecting 20-90hz I still hear noise coming from the mains. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Have there been any photos of anyone that has put together a MiniMarty? I've got a Marty Cube and seen the photos of the full Marty but just wondered about the MiniMarty. I'm thinking of getting another flat pack from Donny and I'm kind of undecided if it should be a matching Marty Cube or something else.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Now that I have all the electronics for the time being I need to make a stereo cabinet for my amps ,oppo ,and emo. I'm going to use mdf , put the thick veneer on the sides and top and paint the shelves. Going to use cherry and something else. Leave the back open for ventilation. Going to try a curved seam were the woods meet.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Have there been any photos of anyone that has put together a MiniMarty? I've got a Marty Cube and seen the photos of the full Marty but just wondered about the MiniMarty. I'm thinking of getting another flat pack from Donny and I'm kind of undecided if it should be a matching Marty Cube or something else.

Mike

Not sure if you seen Erich's new flatpack. Will be a lot cheaper then mine. I have no problem making you another.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Not sure if you seen Erich's new flatpack. Will be a lot cheaper then mine. I have no problem making you another.

Donny,

Yes, I have seen Erich's design and I'm considering it as well. I like the look of my first Marty Cube that I might want to add his bigger brother or his identical twin though. wink.gif

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
Old 04-06-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Watching movie called sparks. It's a film noire which is pretty quirky. Good bass but amazing looking with darbee oppo. I know it's pricey but for me this darbee is like I have a 7k tv with my 2.5k sharp tv. A lot like diy where you get high value. It's as much a difference in video as cube as been for audio. biggrin.gif

I finished my stand build and installed all my equipment yesterday, so next on the list.

I think I'm going to buy the Oppo 103d first before the 2 Martycubes. Besides, maybe SI will get more HT subs in by then.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I finished my stand build and installed all my equipment yesterday, so next on the list.

I think I'm going to buy the Oppo 103d first before the 2 Martycubes. Besides, maybe SI will get more HT subs in by then.

Last I heard you'll be waiting till around the end of June or July before SI will have anymore 18's available.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that I have all the electronics for the time being I need to make a stereo cabinet for my amps ,oppo ,and emo. I'm going to use mdf , put the thick veneer on the sides and top and paint the shelves. Going to use cherry and something else. Leave the back open for ventilation. Going to try a curved seam were the woods meet.

Here is mine that I started about 6 weeks ago. Only working on it on weekends. Sorry for the crappy pictures, will take better ones soon.

photo1-4.jpg

photo2-4.jpg
Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks good. Do you watch TV on the TV or.projector ?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks good. Do you watch TV on the TV or.projector ?

Right now cable on tv only. I have used cable on the projector but did not hook it up that way yesterday. I'm waiting for the Oppo so I can feed my cable thru it then out to tv and projector. Then hdmi 2 on the projector is xbox. Right now hdmi 1 is 3d Blu ray.

The main reason I got a projector was for the movie like experience and it's been awesome so far. We try to watch a few movies a week on it. Last night my son had his cousin over and we watched Titanic (cousin never saw it). He said it was better than the theater. Also it helps to have a concession stand and popcorn popper.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now cable on tv only. I have used cable on the projector but did not hook it up that way yesterday. I'm waiting for the Oppo so I can feed my cable thru it then out to tv and projector. Then hdmi 2 on the projector is xbox. Right now hdmi 1 is 3d Blu ray.

The main reason I got a projector was for the movie like experience and it's been awesome so far. We try to watch a few movies a week on it. Last night my son had his cousin over and we watched Titanic (cousin never saw it). He said it was better than the theater. Also it helps to have a concession stand and popcorn popper.

Only hdmi 1 out of oppo has darbee. It will make a huge difference on the projector. cool.gif
Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
I've been trying a Darbee with my JVC RS45 thanks to forum member stsand, it's a noticeable difference but I prefer it set between 50-60%. Any more then that and it starts to look too artificial for my tastes.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only hdmi 1 out of oppo has darbee. It will make a huge difference on the projector. cool.gif

That's fine for me.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I've been trying a Darbee with my JVC RS45 thanks to forum member stsand, it's a noticeable difference but I prefer it set between 50-60%. Any more then that and it starts to look too artificial for my tastes.

I'm at 68% with edge enhancement +3 , smoothing +1, detail+4. It depends upon your tastes and your source.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Here is mine that I started about 6 weeks ago. Only working on it on weekends. Sorry for the crappy pictures, will take better ones soon.

photo1-4.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

Blur,

This looks like really good.  I like how you took the space and fully integrated all the best HT elements - surround sound, projector, yet the room still looks super comfortable to hang out in and be part of the home, whether a movie is playing, or not.  

Nicely done!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

photo1-4.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

I agree with the other, this does look awesome. Very clean, something my wife could live with. I can't really see it, but how did you hang your screen and where is it once you are watching your tv?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with the other, this does look awesome. Very clean, something my wife could live with. I can't really see it, but how did you hang your screen and where is it once you are watching your tv?

I'm sorry, in the picture with the tv on the screen is just out of view above the tv. If you look in the first photo you can see the screen casing. It is a 100 inch elite screens motorized. I have 8 ft ceilings so in order to have the screen come down to where I wanted it ( 1/2 inch off stand ) I have the screen attached to 2 2x4's. The 2 x4's are attached to a 1x4 that is then mounted to the joists. I had to build it this way in order to center between the windows.

Now that the stand is done I'm going to build a matching valance to hide the screen. Just to give you perspective the stand is 85 wide x 26 high x 22 deep. I'm going to start a thread soon with some photos of the whole build. I have full fan cooling system with temp sensors in each enclosure. Plus I have an automated fan system for the xbox itself. So when it gets hot they come on. The other fans are triggered from my avr to my power centers. Then switches on my fans and 3 12" subs. Also it's all lit up with led strips.

Yes, the wife really loves the whole room now. She gave me a bunch of crap when I started my sketches. But now it's done she loves it. I think I'm going to make my Marty cubes out of the same oak with the same shaker style design.

I did this all to hold us over until I can build my dedicated theater.
lovinthehd likes this.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry, in the picture with the tv on the screen is just out of view above the tv. If you look in the first photo you can see the screen casing. It is a 100 inch elite screens motorized. I have 8 ft ceilings so in order to have the screen come down to where I wanted it ( 1/2 inch off stand ) I have the screen attached to 2 2x4's. The 2 x4's are attached to a 1x4 that is then mounted to the joists. I had to build it this way in order to center between the windows.

Now that the stand is done I'm going to build a matching valance to hide the screen. Just to give you perspective the stand is 85 wide x 26 high x 22 deep. I'm going to start a thread soon with some photos of the whole build. I have full fan cooling system with temp sensors in each enclosure. Plus I have an automated fan system for the xbox itself. So when it gets hot they come on. The other fans are triggered from my avr to my power centers. Then switches on my fans and 3 12" subs. Also it's all lit up with led strips.

Yes, the wife really loves the whole room now. She gave me a bunch of crap when I started my sketches. But now it's done she loves it. I think I'm going to make my Marty cubes out of the same oak with the same shaker style design.

I did this all to hold us over until I can build my dedicated theater.

WOW, yes please post some pictures. That is beautiful and I love the idea of fans kicking in only when needed. You do great work, I can only imagine what your theater room would look like. thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Donny...I am blown away by the number of posts on your thread each day...I saw a couple of posts discussing this...but it truly is an amazing amount of traffic. eek.gif
Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Donny...I am blown away by the number of posts on your thread each day...I saw a couple of posts discussing this...but it truly is an amazing amount of traffic. eek.gif

I have looked at the DIY for a long time and this thread is what has really caught my attention. One it is pretty simple to build and has a great look. Plus the output vs money. I can't wait until I start mine.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Donny, I would really like to second this comment!!
I remember when I first asked you to make a flat pack and you came through like a real business man!!
When you said you would build one, you did...that goes a long way in my book and will only be buying and more importantly, recommending Marty cube flat packs from you!!!
I think a lot of people have no idea how important it is to build a speaker box properly especially when you want high performance!!!
Once again Donny, thanks again and I will be in touch with you to build me some more flat packs when the time comes...cheers!!!
cessna1466u likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. I like to think of this thread as a general thread where questions about subs , sub amps , cables , and finish can all be discussed.

Two coats of lacquer
te4ymy5u.jpg
a2ajanab.jpg
4u5aqesa.jpg

Here is what I used. Dead easy
tysytasy.jpg

I am really happy with how this has turned out. Two more coats of lacquer today and it goes home tomorrow.
cessna1466u and Fattykidd like this.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Looking sharp! Thanks to LTD02 and you and all the others for this and related Marty sub threads.....they are going to make my project that much better and easier.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 04-07-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42

I fully sanded my big ass marty sub cube on the weekend with help from my son:

I moved it to the garage now and I want to paint it!!!

I want to use duratex as a last resort but I am thinking of flat black from Rustoleum.

I have 2 cans of BIN primer sealer with 120/220 grit sandpaper for my orbital sander.

Since its still cool here in Mississauga, i thought i would start on the bottom of the sub and experiment since no one will see the bottom anyway.

Any input would be much appreciated....

Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 660
My input would be to mix water and yellow glue 1:1 and paint it onto the edges of the MDF. Let it sit for a couple hours and then sand it. Do this twice if necessary. If you don't treat those edges right, they telegraph through the paint job and you'll get lines all over your sub.

Also, that is going to take a lot of paint. Go as far as you can with the primer. The primer will help with the edges too. It's all about prep work. Get it looking good with the primer, and then it'll look good with the pain. Believe me, I'm going through this right now on a build. Major pain in the butt.

Looks great so far!