Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2371 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Great looking sub Donny. You must be dying to install the driver and put it in it's final location smile.gif

That can says dries in 30 mins. How fast did it dry to the touch and how fast until it was dry dry? You can buy that at box store, or??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

My input would be to mix water and yellow glue 1:1 and paint it onto the edges of the MDF. Let it sit for a couple hours and then sand it. Do this twice if necessary. If you don't treat those edges right, they telegraph through the paint job and you'll get lines all over your sub.

Also, that is going to take a lot of paint. Go as far as you can with the primer. The primer will help with the edges too. It's all about prep work. Get it looking good with the primer, and then it'll look good with the pain. Believe me, I'm going through this right now on a build. Major pain in the butt.

Looks great so far!

Thanx tux, i was going to use the BIN primer sealer and then sand it with 120 for at least 2 times and see how good it turns out. I definitely agree that if the primer looks good, I am more than half way home to a good looking paint job.

A lot of prep work for sure but i am really enjoying building this sub...

post #2373 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Brought it home
hybubu6y.jpg
4yvyru9e.jpg

The watco lacquer dries to the touch in 10 minutes if you put a thin coat. Got it at rona.
post #2374 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Brought it home
hybubu6y.jpg
4yvyru9e.jpg

The watco lacquer dries to the touch in 10 minutes if you put a thin coat. Got it at rona.

Donny, this is GORGEOUS.  The sub looks unique, classy and ready to get down to business.  Very impressive work.  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2375 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Now that I have all the electronics for the time being I need to make a stereo cabinet for my amps ,oppo ,and emo. I'm going to use mdf , put the thick veneer on the sides and top and paint the shelves. Going to use cherry and something else. Leave the back open for ventilation. Going to try a curved seam were the woods meet.

i built my cab, see my build thread linked in sig, didn't use veneer, just good ply and stain+poly

post #2376 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

Quote:

Brought it home
hybubu6y.jpg
4yvyru9e.jpg

Donny, this is GORGEOUS.  The sub looks unique, classy and ready to get down to business.  Very impressive work.  

Thanks
post #2377 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Quote:

Now that I have all the electronics for the time being I need to make a stereo cabinet for my amps ,oppo ,and emo. I'm going to use mdf , put the thick veneer on the sides and top and paint the shelves. Going to use cherry and something else. Leave the back open for ventilation. Going to try a curved seam were the woods meet.

i built my cab, see my build thread linked in sig, didn't use veneer, just good ply and stain+poly

You made a nice cabinet. Finally getting off my lazy bum and making some fancy furniture. No reason to not have a bunch of nice pieces.
post #2378 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:

Thanks. I haven't seen that at Rona before. I've only ever seen the WB stuff. I've been using ML Campbell magna max but can only buy it by the gallon.
post #2379 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Man I hadn't used lacquer in a few years. Oh that smell. When I was 20 I worked in a cabinet shop for a few months and had to spray lacquer in a poorly ventilated booth. Think I lost a few brain cells.:sly:
post #2380 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Finally got around to looking at some of these post, Mondays are the worst days for me. Way too much going on. Donny, that sub looks amazing. It looks very professional, I love it. I keep looking at it and 2 things come to mind. One is a nicely done, handmade acoustic guitar. I guess its the light color with the dark accent thrown it. The second is a yacht, don't ask me why a yacht, maybe because it looks fancy and I have been watching Epic Rvs lately and they have some yachts that use the lighter woods with the laquer coats. It really does look nice, I think its great, you now need to get that center re-done to match.

BTW, please don't let your wife throw a doily or what ever you guys call it up there on top of this one, it needs to be displayed in all its glory.biggrin.gif:D

Yamaha RX-V773
Behringer iNuke nu6000dsp
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #2381 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Finally got around to looking at some of these post, Mondays are the worst days for me. Way too much going on. Donny, that sub looks amazing. It looks very professional, I love it. I keep looking at it and 2 things come to mind. One is a nicely done, handmade acoustic guitar. I guess its the light color with the dark accent thrown it. The second is a yacht, don't ask me why a yacht, maybe because it looks fancy and I have been watching Epic Rvs lately and they have some yachts that use the lighter woods with the laquer coats. It really does look nice, I think its great, you now need to get that center re-done to match.

BTW, please don't let your wife throw a doily or what ever you guys call it up there on top of this one, it needs to be displayed in all its glory.biggrin.gif:D

Thanks,
Not going to do anything with. Center till I figure out mains. With tux bringing 1099's and his new one and Warren bringing the tempests to the GTG I am going to wait till then to audition them. Winner sees my living room.

Hey that's not a doily, it's a runner:rolleyes:
cessna1466u likes this.
post #2382 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like a good plan. I decided today that I am not going to do anything fancy with the center or mains just regular shapes and out of mdf and light coat with duratex. I want to get them in there and get some use out of them. I have way too many other projects going on. I don't want to spend all summer in the garage. Come next fall I will attempt to get fancy.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #2383 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds like a good plan. I decided today that I am not going to do anything fancy with the center or mains just regular shapes and out of mdf and light coat with duratex. I want to get them in there and get some use out of them. I have way too many other projects going on. I don't want to spend all summer in the garage. Come next fall I will attempt to get fancy.

Just don't round corners of speakers and you can veneer over top later. Or just a tiny round under 1/4".
cessna1466u likes this.
post #2384 of 2576 Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That's going to be hard, I really like my new 5/8" round over bit. biggrin.gif mdf is not too pricy, I'm hoping to go down to California in summer, my brother has a cabinet shop with a full CNC machine. I'm hoping to design something by then that he can just cut up for me and I can bring home and put together.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #2385 of 2576 Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm having trouble getting a response in my build thread so I'm going to ask here: for a full martysub, what is my laundry list of misc items? Do I need acoustic foam? Where does it go? How much area? What size wiring is necessary to go from the driver to the Speakon panel mount connector? How important are rubber feet on the bottom if I'm doing a vertical (up-firing) orientation? Is it advisable to hard-mount the sub to the stage or back wall if possible?

My build thread:

post #2386 of 2576 Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post

I'm having trouble getting a response in my build thread so I'm going to ask here: for a full martysub, what is my laundry list of misc items? Do I need acoustic foam? Where does it go? How much area? What size wiring is necessary to go from the driver to the Speakon panel mount connector? How important are rubber feet on the bottom if I'm doing a vertical (up-firing) orientation? Is it advisable to hard-mount the sub to the stage or back wall if possible?

not essential but most put some form of dampening inside. Acoustic foam or polyfill from walmart pillows will work. Goes everywhere if you want but back wall is most important.

12-14 gauge wire is fine.Rubber feet are not needed for vertical, just cosmetic. Yes a good idea to mount vertical marty to wall is possible. I doubt it would ever fall over but its possible.
post #2387 of 2576 Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How would one attach polyfil to the inside of a sub?

My build thread:

post #2388 of 2576 Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Multipurpose spray adhesive works well.
post #2389 of 2576 Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just stuffed one pillow on each side stuck between the bracing, leaving an air path down the center of the box. I used just two although I think LTD02 recommends three. I did rip the tag off to prevent flapping in the wind smile.gif. I believe the point is just to absorb sound reflections inside the box so it does not color the sound so I am not sure why some go to the effort to line the inside, but maybe there is a reason.
post #2390 of 2576 Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post

How would one attach polyfil to the inside of a sub?

I cut open the pillows and then unrolled the poly fill and cut it into sections and then just stuffed them in the box using the bracing to hold it in place. I used 2 pillows and it filled out the sub nicely
post #2391 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Almost done my stereo cabinet. First coat of finish. Will paint all the shelves black.
uqu8etyj.jpg
u4avehe7.jpg
qypymahy.jpg
tgeorge34 likes this.
post #2392 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks amazing it's going to match your sub woofer perfect. I just realize what you're subwoofer in this cabinet remind me of. They remind me of a Woody's surf car. :DYour students getting any work done this week? Or are they all working on your project. LOL
tgeorge34 likes this.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #2393 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did this after school and today. Today was last day of term so easy day. It's easy to put the different woods together.
cessna1466u likes this.
post #2394 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 198

looking great as usual.  nice work Donny.

be sure to post a pic once you get it fully done, and get your equipment into it.  

post #2395 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

looking great as usual.  nice work Donny.

be sure to post a pic once you get it fully done, and get your equipment into it.  

That will be tomorrow night cool.gif
post #2396 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

A black inuke would like really nice in there.wink.gif

Can't wait to see it next to the Woody Cube.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #2397 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what your cube and this rack remind me of.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #2398 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is what your cube and this rack remind me of.

Pimping old style...
I need you to get that thread up so I can paint my inuke.
post #2399 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't call it old it's classic. Painting it this weekend.

Yamaha RX-V773
(2) 18" Marty Cubes
Fusion 8 MTM

post #2400 of 2576 Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Take lots of pics . There is going to be a few people copying u
cessna1466u likes this.
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page