post #121 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

There is some really useful information on this thread, thank you to all who have contributed smile.gif

+2

You beat me too it...I was going to say the same thing. I will soon be on my way to setting gain, and everything said here has made me understand how everything works a lot better. I've read articles before on setting gain, and kinda got it, but the last few posts really made it set in.

Thanks!!

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

The clipping indicator on amps indicate any number of things. To imply that they only show input signal voltage being exceeded would be wrong.

The most common of which is how much does the input signal or output signal look like a square wave as opposed to a sine. AKA lopping off of the peaks.
other things they can show depending on the design: thermal limits, power supply limits, output voltage, output current, distortion, etc.

In fact, depending on design, it might only show one item or many. For example the CV-5000 has a protect indicator which takes some of these measurements and indicates when they are exceeded.
Specifically for the cv-5000 (from the manual):
the protect light indicates: thermal, shorting, dc voltage detected
the clip light indicates: current output max/exceeded, voltage output max/exceeded, distortion of either input/output

sadley again the iNuke does not disclose specific info on this topic.

???

First, plug in your inuke to usb and launch the incredibly useful control software. You can see real-time both input and output full level meters, not just a clip light.

Second, I can easily generate square/saw/triangle waves as part of musical authoring tools and don't want my amp thinking this is clipped content. e.g. dubstep.

I think you really need an oscilloscope to know what's happening on the input and output at each stage. Certainly if you're trying to make bench comparisons between two amps. "Red lights" just doesn't cut it. I'm considering one of the cheapy ones on amazon just out of curiosity. I know my onkyo 809 has some pretty crazy high sub pre output, and I listen to music well above reference frequently. How high can I go before I'm clipping input at the next step in signal chain? (rhetorical question)
post #123 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Question on input sensitivity.....

If a amps specs show 1.25 Vrms for 800w into 8 ohms, what changes if it went to 4000w into 4 ohm bridged?

I understand that it will take 1.25 Vrms input to achieve max gain at 8 ohm, but how much does the Vrms change when you ask the amp to put out 4000w at 4 ohm?

The question doesn't relate to either amp in discussion, (QSC rmx-4050hd) but I figured since we were on the subject of gain setting that it would fit in.

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #124 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy497 View Post

???

First, plug in your inuke to usb and launch the incredibly useful control software. You can see real-time both input and output full level meters, not just a clip light.

That's exactly what I did. I watched the input and output clip lights on my laptop while testing the inukes. I could only see one inuke at a time on the software but I assume they were clipping at the same time. Only the output clip light came on.

For the CV I had to watch the actual amp.

post #125 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

If a amps specs show 1.25 Vrms for 800w into 8 ohms, what changes if it went to 4000w into 4 ohm bridged?

I understand that it will take 1.25 Vrms input to achieve max gain at 8 ohm, but how much does the Vrms change when you ask the amp to put out 4000w at 4 ohm?

The question doesn't relate to either amp in discussion, (QSC rmx-4050hd) but I figured since we were on the subject of gain setting that it would fit in.

This exact question is why in the pro audio world it is more relevant to have the values of the amps internals listed and then just manually calculate the wattage. To learn about ohm's law and a handy calculator: (http://www.diyalarmforum.com/ohms-law-calculator/)
post #126 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy497 View Post

???

Second, I can easily generate square/saw/triangle waves as part of musical authoring tools and don't want my amp thinking this is clipped content. e.g. dubstep.

I think you really need an oscilloscope to know what's happening on the input and output at each stage. Certainly if you're trying to make bench comparisons between two amps. "Red lights" just doesn't cut it. I'm considering one of the cheapy ones on amazon just out of curiosity. I know my onkyo 809 has some pretty crazy high sub pre output, and I listen to music well above reference frequently. How high can I go before I'm clipping input at the next step in signal chain? (rhetorical question)

To find the best levels for every step in the chain its part math, and part by ear.

If you can find the numbers for input/output from every device then you can for sure know they match well. Also there is a certain amount of trust involved, because the specifications usually don't list the absolute max value, its more of an approximation and has wiggle room.

If you have the hardware (Oscope / function meter) you can test your equipment. But that takes a lot more explaining and electrical knowledge that I don't have time to type right now.
post #127 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

An amps doesn't "put out watts." It only produces voltage. The wattage is always calculated for a certain ohm by using the formula P = E 2 / R.

P=Power (watts)
E=Electrical Potential (voltage)
R=Resistance (Ohms)

If you look at the Measuring Amplifiers thread that is stickied in the DIY forum, you will see only output voltage being measured, not watts.

If an amp is spec'd for 1.25 Vrms, then that means that it takes 1.25 volts of input with the gain at maximum for the amp to output its maximum voltage. You can input more voltage, but must reduce the gain so the math is the same in the end. Trying to increase the output voltage beyond its max is what causes clipping. For example, with 32x of gain you get this:
1.25v x 1 (Gain Control) x 32 (Output Gain stage) = 40
Remember that the Output Gain Stage varies from amp to amp, but is always a fixed number.

If your input voltage maximum is 5 volts (measured with a volt meter), then where do you put the gain control?
5v x Gain x 32 = 40
Gain=40/(5x32)
Gain=.25
5v x .25 x 32 =40 So you end up with the same maximum output voltage, but have had to reduce the gain control.

A number like .25 isn't very helpful for reducing the gain control. Gain controls are usually labeled in dB. In my example, it is easier to take the measured voltage input voltage (5v) and subtract the required input voltage (1.25v). In this case you are changing voltage by 3.75 volts. If you use a Voltage to Decibel calculator, you will find that 3.75 equal 11.5 dB. Turn down the gain control by 12 dB and you will be at the correct setting. You can also use the Crown Audio db Voltage Ratio Calculator.

How does the ohm rating factor into this? An amplifier can always output the most voltage at the least resistance. With an 8 ohm load, an amp can output more voltage than a 4 or 2 ohm load. The more resistance there is, the less efficient the output. Regardless of the ohm load, if the amp is spec'd for 1.25 Vrms for maximum rated voltage then it can never output more voltage than its maximum rating.

JL Audio has a School of Sound: Short Course in Audio PDF that is very helpful to read. On page 42 it shows a 9 step procedure for setting proper gain levels using a voltmeter. It is intended for car audio, but the principles are the same.

Extra info:
Some amps show their Output Gain Stage as a multiplication factor (gain factor) and some as a decibel increase. The CV-5000 shows 36 db. Other amps might show 30x. Use these formulas to convert voltage gain expressed as a multiplication factor to voltage gain expressed in dB and vice versa:

Gain (dB) = 10 * log (Gain)

Gain Factor = ANTILOG10 ( Gain in dB / 20 ) [i.e. ANTILOG10 ( 36 / 20 ) = ?

The CV-5000 is rated at 1.42 Vrms sensitivity and 36 dB of gain.
What is its gain factor? Hint: Antilog10 is the 10x button on the Windows Scientific Calculator
What is its maximum output voltage?

You can read more here: All About Gain
post #128 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

An amps doesn't "put out watts." It only produces voltage. The wattage is always calculated for a certain ohm by using the formula P = E 2 / R.

P=Power (watts)
E=Electrical Potential (voltage)
R=Resistance (Ohms)

If you look at the Measuring Amplifiers thread that is stickied in the DIY forum, you will see only output voltage being measured, not watts.

If an amp is spec'd for 1.25 Vrms, then that means that it takes 1.25 volts of input with the gain at maximum for the amp to output its maximum voltage. You can input more voltage, but must reduce the gain so the math is the same in the end. Trying to increase the output voltage beyond its max is what causes clipping. For example, with 32x of gain you get this:
1.25v x 1 (Gain Control) x 32 (Output Gain stage) = 40
Remember that the Output Gain Stage varies from amp to amp, but is always a fixed number.

If your input voltage maximum is 5 volts (measured with a volt meter), then where do you put the gain control?
5v x Gain x 32 = 40
Gain=40/(5x32)
Gain=.25
5v x .25 x 32 =40 So you end up with the same maximum output voltage, but have had to reduce the gain control.

A number like .25 isn't very helpful for reducing the gain control. Gain controls are usually labeled in dB. In my example, it is easier to take the measured voltage input voltage (5v) and subtract the required input voltage (1.25v). In this case you are changing voltage by 3.75 volts. If you use a Voltage to Decibel calculator, you will find that 3.75 equal 11.5 dB. Turn down the gain control by 12 dB and you will be at the correct setting. You can also use the Crown Audio db Voltage Ratio Calculator.

How does the ohm rating factor into this? An amplifier can always output the most voltage at the least resistance. With an 8 ohm load, an amp can output more voltage than a 4 or 2 ohm load. The more resistance there is, the less efficient the output. Regardless of the ohm load, if the amp is spec'd for 1.25 Vrms for maximum rated voltage then it can never output more voltage than its maximum rating.

JL Audio has a School of Sound: Short Course in Audio PDF that is very helpful to read. On page 42 it shows a 9 step procedure for setting proper gain levels using a voltmeter. It is intended for car audio, but the principles are the same.

Extra info:
Some amps show their Output Gain Stage as a multiplication factor (gain factor) and some as a decibel increase. The CV-5000 shows 36 db. Other amps might show 30x. Use these formulas to convert voltage gain expressed as a multiplication factor to voltage gain expressed in dB and vice versa:

Gain (dB) = 10 * log (Gain)

Gain Factor = ANTILOG10 ( Gain in dB / 20 ) [i.e. ANTILOG10 ( 36 / 20 ) = ?

The CV-5000 is rated at 1.42 Vrms sensitivity and 36 dB of gain.
What is its gain factor? Hint: Antilog10 is the 10x button on the Windows Scientific Calculator
What is its maximum output voltage?

You can read more here: All About Gain

throwing all the numbers you gave into the equations you gave I came up with

gain factor of about 63
max voltage of about 89.....

but I didn't read any more about it just simple substitution.

post #129 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

A scene that is clipped at the source indicates that the clipping was done to increase the volume.

I wouldn't think so; more likely the recorder was asleep at the wheel/didn't have a handle on the equipment's limits.

Noah
post #130 of 141 Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I wouldn't think so; more likely the recorder was asleep at the wheel/didn't have a handle on the equipment's limits.

*nods head*

Or it was a conversion from an old film and the source wasn't great and had dynamic problems.....
post #131 of 141 Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This thread is making my head hurt now... lol
post #132 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Carp- have you measured the sub out of your AVR with a meter? Pioneer AVRs are known to put out high voltage on the sub out. Stereodude posted about this and I have verified my volts are high as well.

FWIW- On the Peavey amps, the clip (ddt) lights indicate an input voltage that is too high.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

post #133 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Carp- have you measured the sub out of your AVR with a meter? Pioneer AVRs are known to put out high voltage on the sub out. Stereodude posted about this and I have verified my volts are high as well.

FWIW- On the Peavey amps, the clip (ddt) lights indicate an input voltage that is too high.

No I don't have a meter. That's interesting that Pioneer is known to be high, my signal seems very weak. I have to turn up the gains on the amp MUCH higher than I did when I had and Onkyo 818 in my room. Only 2 clicks left on the CV 5000. I like to use -10 on the sub trim to equal flat with the speakers.

post #134 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Onkyo is supposed to be hot too.

I was curious if you had any volt numbers. I read you were actually having concerns over the low voltage output and that contradicts everything I've read (about the Pioneers) when I was trying to understand output voltage and proper gain setup in my signal chain, which was made extra difficult thanks to the mini-dsp.

Stereodude has actually posted scope graphs and a lot of other real good data. If you're interested I have some of it easily accessible. But it kind of gets into minidsp stuff and I know a lot of folks are sick of hearing about that.

I was led here to this thread from the powering on pro-amps with relay thread. It's well known that The Art of Flight song we all know and love is very demanding. I've discussed this fact before the relay issues and now because of the relay issues I'm having.

My amp does not shut off with that material, but it's the only material (that I have an have thrown at my amp) that sends the 7500 into turbo fan mode. Still, I can play it over and over and over and not shut down.

I'd be curious to see what happens if you take the mini-dsp out of the chain and play that track again using the inuke. Although, according to my numbers if your Pioneer is anything like mine in terms of sub out volts you should not be clipping the mini-dsp at a -10 sub out and up to ~+1 - +1.5 AVR volume setting.

It would still be interesting to see if your inuke stays on playing Art of Flight without the mini in the chain.

If the inuke is properly setup without the mini-dsp in the chain, and still shuts down, I don't know what that would mean short of the inuke can't handle it and the Peavey can.

Maybe everyone with all their different amps should play Art of Flight at reference and see what happens. tongue.gif

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

post #135 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the Deadmau 5 song from Art of Flight before it was edited for the movie. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I know I downloaded an MP4 of the scene from the movie and it was dog crap.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yhwl34sk12itfg/deadmau5%20-%20Ghosts%20n%20Stuff.mp3

post #136 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Here is the Deadmau 5 song from Art of Flight before it was edited for the movie. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I know I downloaded an MP4 of the scene from the movie and it was dog crap.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yhwl34sk12itfg/deadmau5%20-%20Ghosts%20n%20Stuff.mp3

The mixing for the movie is very different, we compared at one of the NE g2g's late at night.... just didn't have the good mixed sound to it.... but the one on the movie has clipping (or peaks exactly at 0db) in the recording....
post #137 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

The mixing for the movie is very different, we compared at one of the NE g2g's late at night.... just didn't have the good mixed sound to it.... but the one on the movie has clipping (or peaks exactly at 0db) in the recording....

Curious what you compared? The original to the edited movie version?

Is there something wrong with Art of Flight version that has been proven, or is it just proven that it is really hard on ones system?

post #138 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Curious what you compared? The original to the edited movie version?

Is there something wrong with Art of Flight version that has been proven, or is it just proven that it is really hard on ones system?

When you extract the audio from the bluray and look at the waveforms the peaks hit 0dB (I forget if it goes over, or is just exactly at 0). (It is considered good practice in the mixing/mastering world to stay 0.3dB below maximum to aid with the prevention of clipping and insure good dynamic structure to your piece)

Going to 0, or even over (if your audio format supports recording that) is not bad, if you did it on purpose. Generally though it isn't good practice and can do undesirable things. In the avenue of what we are talking about here (voltage in/out of devices) If you were on the upper threshold for voltage, content that goes to 0dB instead of .3 or lower as its max might push you over the edge.

What I am saying is its not good content to use for this type of testing.

Another really good example of bad clipping in the recording is the crash scene from Flight of the Phoenix. The waveforms in that are completely chopped off by going over 0dB.
post #139 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Someone in this thread said this was the best material for testing situations like this as it pushes ones system to the limits. Obviously whatever a persons take is on using this material to test ones system we know the inuke cant hang.

post #140 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PDX, thanks for the info as far as more testing I plan on it eventually. Things are pretty crazy around here so I may not get to it for awhile. I also am curious what will happen without the mini, although there is another important variable at play - with the mini I have an L/T which would be much more demanding on the amps so even if the inuke doesn't shut down as quickly it could just be because it's not being asked to put out as much power down low.

I suppose I could answer that question by turning off any eq or LT on the mini and comparing that to taking the mini out of the chain?

post #141 of 141 Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

PDX, thanks for the info as far as more testing I plan on it eventually. Things are pretty crazy around here so I may not get to it for awhile. I also am curious what will happen without the mini, although there is another important variable at play - with the mini I have an L/T which would be much more demanding on the amps so even if the inuke doesn't shut down as quickly it could just be because it's not being asked to put out as much power down low.

I suppose I could answer that question by turning off any eq or LT on the mini and comparing that to taking the mini out of the chain?

How much boost are you applying with the L/T? I've not studied those much so I'm not familiar with how they work in relation to boost.

I ask because there is a limit to the boost one can apply withe mini-dsp, and that limit is lowered if you're already past a certain threshold with signal voltage going to the mini.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page