post #301 of 327 Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Interesting that you feel that more content comes from the left. I have noticed that for a LONG time in my room.

Back to the soundstage thing. Even though my image is dead centered like you said about yours, I often feel like a bit more content comes from the left. It's not louder...but often I fell like I can hear the cymbals more clearly on the left side of the soundstage. This makes me think it's my hearing but I was tested recently and my hearing is very good. Not all music has this slight left thing going on, but it does happen.

Carp, the left/right balance of instruments is "designed" during the mixdown in the studio. Between the engineer(s), the producer(s) and the band members, where things get "placed" in the mix is decided. In my recording studio days, and being a drummer myself, I used to put the hi-hats panned to the left and had the toms and other drums panned appropriately from left to right to re-create my left/right hearing perspective while sitting behind my drum kit. Also, the overhead mics used to record cymbals and the "ambiance" of the kit would be panned left and right. Others would prefer to set things up from an audience perspective, which if the band's drummer is a traditional right handed player, would have the hi-hats on the right side of the mix. Others set things up without such a logical "realistic" approach.
For flushing out what is actually happening in your room with the left side, FOH's suggestion of using pink noise would be much more accurate than relying on whatever some crazy recording engineer panned this way or that. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 327 Old 03-18-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

Carp, the left/right balance of instruments is "designed" during the mixdown in the studio. Between the engineer(s), the producer(s) and the band members, where things get "placed" in the mix is decided. In my recording studio days, and being a drummer myself, I used to put the hi-hats panned to the left and had the toms and other drums panned appropriately from left to right to re-create my left/right hearing perspective while sitting behind my drum kit. Also, the overhead mics used to record cymbals and the "ambiance" of the kit would be panned left and right. Others would prefer to set things up from an audience perspective, which if the band's drummer is a traditional right handed player, would have the hi-hats on the right side of the mix. Others set things up without such a logical "realistic" approach.
For flushing out what is actually happening in your room with the left side, FOH's suggestion of using pink noise would be much more accurate than relying on whatever some crazy recording engineer panned this way or that. biggrin.gif

Cool, thanks - that makes sense. smile.gif
post #303 of 327 Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Beast - this is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondansetron

Any time I really want to let loose I take one of these before I go to bed and it's miraculous how good I feel the next day. No nausea feeling at all! Now, if your more of a headache type hangover guy this won't work as well obviously, but I just get nausea so it's a life saver. I discovered it back when my wife had morning (errrrr all day) sickness when she was pregnant.

Oh, and congratulations man! smile.gif
post #304 of 327 Old 03-18-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Funny thing is, I brought several NOHO's with me (Think no-hangover...NOHO, looks like a 5 hr energy). Never managed to take one.... First mistake. Second, didn't eat a whole lot. The fog is lifting though boys, just in time for a Children of Bodom and Death Angel show tonight at the the local venue biggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #305 of 327 Old 03-18-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

post #306 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Had a chance this weekend to listen to Brandon's setup. If I may quote Mr. Bossobass, it sounded "OUTSTANDING." Well done, sir!
popalock likes this.
post #307 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Had a chance this weekend to listen to Brandon's setup. If I may quote Mr. Bossobass, it sounded "OUTSTANDING." Well done, sir!

+1...the Corinthians are nothing short of stellar! The balance of sound in The Beast's room is remarkable...it's really a testimate to how far quality planning and room treatment can take you. One a side note, work sux today..I've yet to demo one new piece of HT gear since I got here this morning.
beastaudio likes this.
post #308 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 502
I echo Chop and Gorilla's statements above.

I have to say that was my first time in such a dead room and I absolutely loved it! I'd love to see some waterfall graphs sometime because I felt Beast's decay was really on point and everything blended phenomenally. I think the most impressive part to me (besides the SH-50 goodness) was the fact that his SI 18's were only getting like 400 watts a piece...and they totally killed it.

With a bit extra juice they will definitely be able to hang with the Danley's a bit better when being pushed hard.

Should make for an even MORE intense experience for your guests.

Do you still have your room in disarray man? If so, you should post up a pic to remind us how bad we should feel for leaving you hanging...lol

post #309 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 119
post #310 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Why not getting more power? Are Crest amps needed somewhere??...biggrin.gif

No....

We switched out his D2's with D4's and now he can take advantage of BOTH channels of his IPR7500.

Nice try Blah! He's good on power.

post #311 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, just tested it last night. Power for days.... Now onto some more demanding material, and I can report back again.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #312 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

No....

We switched out his D2's with D4's and now he can take advantage of BOTH channels of his IPR7500.

D4's to save the day, yet again.

Feels good. I know. biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #313 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Does this mean he bought new D4's or did he get them reconed or what? I would love to trade up my pair of D2's for a set of D4's.
post #314 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No....

Ha, popa...you were all over that...wink.gif
post #315 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

Does this mean he bought new D4's or did he get them reconed or what? I would love to trade up my pair of D2's for a set of D4's.

I had a few on hold for whenever I was able to do the switch.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #316 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

D4's to save the day, yet again.

Feels good. I know. biggrin.gif

mad.gif

Damn you guys with your American branded amps and your dual 4 ohm voicecoils...

Starting my first DIY venture with LMS-U's, I kinda pigeonholed myself into picking up an amp that was capable of serious power @ 4ohm per channel. I hate to say this, but...

Huuuuhhhh....

You win Scott...

D4's FTW....
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #317 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I dont think you have a thing to worry about however dude biggrin.gif You have the bass base covered smile.gif

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #318 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

mad.gif

Damn you guys with your American branded amps and your dual 4 ohm voicecoils...

Starting my first DIY venture with LMS-U's, I kinda pigeonholed myself into picking up an amp that was capable of serious power @ 4ohm per channel. I hate to say this, but...

Huuuuhhhh....

You win Scott...

D4's FTW....

Hahaha! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I dont think you have a thing to worry about however dude biggrin.gif You have the bass base covered smile.gif

Aww, yeah. Exactly. No worries. You are covered well beyond my capabilities, my friends.

smile.gif

I see another HTotM to nominate! smile.gif
popalock likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #319 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, bass is covered...but got no damn warranty man!!!!

post #320 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

post #321 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Love the setup. I'm studying it a lot because my theater dimensions will be almost exactly the same as yours.

How many surrounds do you have? It's hard to see any more than the one pair.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #322 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Love the setup. I'm studying it a lot because my theater dimensions will be almost exactly the same as yours.

How many surrounds do you have? It's hard to see any more than the one pair.
\

I can't stress how big of an improvement was made by stacking my subs and getting them at the 1/4 points. I was just talking to Carp about it. I do give up a little with room smoothing with this approach, but it isn't much and those that attended this weekend will attest to that. The sheer output and efficiency of this method is the end-all for me.

I have a full 7.1 system, sides surrounds and then the rears are on the back wall. I want to try pulling the surrounds off the back wall and get them a little closer, but with 2 rows and a bar, I don't have many options. When watching movie clips and having the rears level matched to get 75dB's at the front row, the bar (third row) gets assaulted by surround sound, but if I have a full theater, I just cut the rears off. For 95% of the time, it is just enough people to fill the first two rows (5) and be perfectly happy.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #323 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

\

I can't stress how big of an improvement was made by stacking my subs and getting them at the 1/4 points. I was just talking to Carp about it. I do give up a little with room smoothing with this approach, but it isn't much and those that attended this weekend will attest to that. The sheer output and efficiency of this method is the end-all for me.

I have a full 7.1 system, sides surrounds and then the rears are on the back wall. I want to try pulling the surrounds off the back wall and get them a little closer, but with 2 rows and a bar, I don't have many options. When watching movie clips and having the rears level matched to get 75dB's at the front row, the bar (third row) gets assaulted by surround sound, but if I have a full theater, I just cut the rears off. For 95% of the time, it is just enough people to fill the first two rows (5) and be perfectly happy.

Thanks for your advice, I think I'm gonna take it. cool.gif Plus I really like how they look stacked from floor to ceiling. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523780/flatpacks-for-a-tall-small-footprint-18-ported-sub/90#post_24585556
post #324 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I loved your rear surrounds! Using your restroom was an experience.

post #325 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

\

Nice! I got excellent results with my triple stack of up front. My subs don't reach up quite as high as your top ones do. I think there is just under four feet left to the ceiling but still the top drivers are ~6ft off the ground.

Would be interesting to treat the rear of the room in a similar fashion. I guess you have that covered though ... or.... is the XXX18 still part of the system? Almost seems like small potatoes considering what you just had there this weekend. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #326 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Balls!
ChopShop1 and Gorilla83 like this.

post #327 of 327 Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Nice! I got excellent results with my triple stack of up front. My subs don't reach up quite as high as your top ones do. I think there is just under four feet left to the ceiling but still the top drivers are ~6ft off the ground.

Would be interesting to treat the rear of the room in a similar fashion. I guess you have that covered though ... or.... is the XXX18 still part of the system? Almost seems like small potatoes considering what you just had there this weekend. tongue.gif

The shadow is retired after this weekend. We didn't even demo it since I pulled one of the RE's for a little out of box comparo to the Ultra and the 24. It was shaking the house in all the wrong places and as most would contest, It doesn't seem necessary with the "front stage" that I am currently running. Seems a shame to put a baby REXXX18 in the corner anyways....

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page