AVS Forum banner

Flynnr's Marty-Cubeâ?¢ SI18HT Build Thread

13K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  ericnhitterdal 
#1 ·

Hey all -

This is my first personal build thread!  There will be more builds to come after having a good experience so far with this one.  As the title states, I am building the 'Marty-Cube' and using a Stereo Integrity SI18HT subwoofer, paired to an inuke 3000dsp.

Here are a few pictures of the progress!

Mocking things up:

Back, bottom, and sides complete:

Couple pictures of the port bracing.  Also - You can see I used a sealer on the outside... this is likely not necessary for the majority of you all, but the table saw i was using was SO shi**y that a few of my cuts simply didnt come out as square as intended.

My spare room is getting to be a mess with all of my speaker gear haha.  Almost finished!

I will update this post with the cut sheet / more information and also a link to the thread I got this inspiration from!

Big thanks goes out to everyone on this site... you have all been a huge help!

See less See more
#29 ·
Flynnr,

that is one hell of a nice looking sub. congrats!

I'm building one too for my HT room, along with a vertical full size. Seeing your finished sub though, is making me want to pick up the pace!

Enjoy it, and definitely post your thoughts after spending a bit of time listening to it.

Until my 2 are done, im living vicariously through you.

p.s - your whole room looks pretty nice as well.

#56 ·
Awesome Grill!

Almost done with the grill - just need to trim the back better and then glue on my magnets to the back of the grill now.

Would you be able to describe how you built your grill? I'd love to do this for my cyclops builds im going to start sometime soon.

Any advice, or more pictures on this would be greatly appreciated! Great looking grills!

#35 ·

Thanks a lot Dank!  Really goes to show how easy it really is... I am no woodworker by any means, I actually got kicked out  and banned from the wood shop in college lol. 

I REALLY enjoyed this build.  I bought enough extra supplies (aka 2x as much eggcrate foam, paint, gasket material, etc etc) to do some other speakers... I have a decent receiver collecting dust I might make some decent speakers for my garage next.  I tried to tell the fiance that the receiver was going in our closet and that I was gonna rig up a 5.1 setup for our bedroom and that got shot down fast.

Any suggestions for cheap and easy 2.0 stereo speaker setups?  I would build the boxes myself, just need the rest.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!!!!!!!!!  I frequent many other forums (not for audio, but for cars / etc) and this is the only one that you dont have to put on a thick flame suit to even ask the more basic questions...  This forum (specifically the DIY forum) is like no other! 

#37 ·
Yea your stoked!! Nice job......fits nicely into your room. Can't wait to hear your inpressions.

I like turtles!

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnr  /t/1517562/flynnrs-marty-cube-si18ht-build-thread/0_100#post_24777118

Well my baseman build is done
I will take and post some pics soon for anyone who is interested!

flynnr, 

We all love pics, so post em up!

: )

#45 · (Edited)
Sorry I've been lazy - getting married in a week from today! (That's why I wanted to get the build done when I did...;) ) haha. Anyways, I am more than thrilled with the basement at this point. It has been transformed from a boring space to a room with a bar and awesome home theater-esque feel to it.

Behind the TV I wired a recessed plug-in into the wall so the cord didnt get in the way

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-1-Gang-Recessed-Duplex-Power-Outlet-White-R52-00689-00W/202066691

Also added a single gang wall plate with cable pull through (in white) so I didn't have to leave an odd hole in the wall.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-Flexible-Opening-Cable-Wall-Plate-Black-5028-BK/203564826

Through this I pulled 2x HDMI cables (one from the Reciever, (which has 5 hdmi Inputs on it) and one extra just in case) 3x cat5e cables (one for ethernet to TV, one for the IR repeater (AWESOME) and one extra.

I ran my these^ wires (along with left,right,center,sub wires, and co axial) back to my bar and put the reciever, HD cable box, sub amp, and ps3 under the bar on the shelf and used the IR repeater to control all of these like normal.  In order to not have to do any sheetrock work / painting / etc I just removed the trim and cut the sheetrock back an inch and ran my wires and then reinstalled the trim back and you can't even tell its been messed with.  

After looking at the pics I realize I had some 'slack' in the wiring leading to the center channel.  I pulled that in a bit now so you can't see it anymore.

I had to make a custom stand for the center channel because their oem one wouldn't work the way I needed it to.  I got some angled aluminum and cut it to size and painted it and secured it with the mounts on the back.  Turned out great.

Best part is, it sounds fantastic. I really have to give props to b&w on these speakers. They are slim but still deliver a full bodied sound that is so crisp.    I am glad I didn't get any bigger / more expensive speakers.  These definitely are plenty to make my ears bleed if need be and I know the neighbors probably already hate me.   I had the speaker grills off in the pics but keep them on at all times otherwise.  

Some pics

Shows the trim that was removed and the wiring behind it.

Crappy picture but this is basically a close up of the pic above. This pic makes it look like it isn't going to fit behind the trim at all but the wires just needed to be moved a bit before the trim went up and it fit with ease.

Pic to show location of the sub -  in this pic i still needed to make the center channel stand and install the corner trim piece in too 

IR repeater mounted behind the TV hanging down a bit.  

Can hardly see it from 2 feet away, and don't notice it at all sitting in the chair  (good thing I wasn't naked wile taking these pics)

Custom stand

Annnnd Done.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!  I went from being a complete noob in all aspects of this to building my own sub and sourcing speakers and mounts and all kinds of stuff.  This wasn't really that difficult of a job at all and sounds and looks fairly professional IMO. If anyone has any questions let me know!  

Tip:  A drill bit similar to this was a lifesaver!  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-9-16-in-x-54-in-Flex-Auger-Bit-53718/203871769?N=5yc1vZc264

#48 · (Edited)
flynnr,

I love setup like yours.....where everything is so cleanly done. Great use of that trim to hide the wire run.

Also, congrats on getting married. Give your marriage as much care as your home theater, and you will probably be a very happy man. ( I've been married 5 years, with 6 years arriving on june 26 ).

:)

#51 ·
Flynnr,

I'm getting ready soon to build my 2 cubes and order speakers.

Has the 3/4 front baffle recess made any changes. Also I like the grill look of your. Does the woofer hit the back of the grill material when being played?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.