behringer I nukes cannot connect to rca? What? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So, I ordered 3 Inuke 1000dsp to power each of my SOES Tempest in Mono Mode. The sales person was going to sell me a 1/4" to RCA cable however a different sales contacted me questioning what I was using the amps for. (this was from Sweetwater) He said the outputs are NOT 1/4 TS but they are Neutrik. The 1/4" and XLR are used to connect the amp directly to speakers. Then said they don't make a Neutrik to RCA cable and further stated the amps are should NOT be used in that way. Stating the RCA current is not equal to the Behringers. He did state I Could either convert my speakers to accept XLR or Neutrik connection instead of terminal connection. The only other option is to buy Neutik to 1/4 TS connections, the use a converter cable. 1/4 TS to RCA but that may cause crosstalk, distortion not to mention an extra cable in the mix.

Does this make sense? and if so How are you guys connecting your Inukes to your receivers? OR are you just using them for Subwoofers.?

My only other option is to sell my Denon 4311CI and buy a receiver that accepts XLR and/or !/4'' TS connections. That's just not worth the cost for a $200 amp. and he said I could remove my speaker terminals and replace with XLR or Neutrik connectors instead of speaker wire. But the cables were quite expensive.

So, what are your guys solutions? If I had known all this I could have just bought a crown XLS 1500 but those are $399 each. OUCH!

Help??

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 655
I would think that Denon should power the Tempest pretty darn good for home theater use.
post #3 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

They do, the Tempests are awesome, I have just read so much about Inukes I wanted to try some. Bad choice I guess. I'll just stick to my Denon. The speakers are starting to break in nicely. I much more satisfied with the waveguides VS the Waveguides on my QSC SC-2150. There not as bright and in your face. I prefer a little more laid back sound. Still hoping the vocals will get better with time but I running them very low.
If any one want to build there owns QSC Sc-2150 I have enough for 5 speakers. Just saying

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #4 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Receiver-> rca-> xlr-> inuke

Inuke-> neutrik-> bare wires-> speaker binding posts

Perfectly fine to do it this way.
post #5 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Inukes take 1/4" TRS or XLR for input, and output as nuetrik speakon. You would need a simple 1/4" to rca adapter for each channel to connect to your receiver (or rca to xlr male), and a nuetrik speakon connector for the output to each tempest.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Receiver-> rca-> xlr-> inuke

Inuke-> neutrik-> bare wires-> speaker binding posts

Perfectly fine to do it this way.

I must be confused or sweetwater is. the back of the Inuke 1000dsp has to inputs CB A and CH B which only accept Neutrik connectors ( I was told I had to use those connectors It also has CH A and CH B outputs which accept XLR and 1/4" I was told I cannot use the outputs to the back on my receiver via XLR to RCA in bridged mode. Is the Sales Person Wrong? I physically have the amps and XLR to RCA wires but I don't want to burn the amp plugging them in incorrectly. Please explain

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #7 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 800
wait wait wait.

either you are confused at what the sweetwater rep said or the sweetwater rep should be fired.

One of you is confused --- but you will find you can use the amps you bought with your Denon 4311C

I have purchased several inukes. They all wire up the same and will work fine with your Denon.

You can buy one of these cables for each channel out.

AVR RCA out to XLR in to the amp - you need one per channel.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab3=b&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.1&c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FSearch%2FIndex%3Fkeyword%3Drca%2Bto%2Bxlr

That gives the signal from the 4311 to your amps.
Now you have to get the power out from your amps to your speakers.

The inuke amps have only speakon outs. For that you need speakon to raw speaker wire (assuming you have typical speaker terminals on your DIY speakers). To keep things simple I recommend these for you.
Speakon to Raw speaker wires. These are 16 gauge wire which will be fine for anything above 4 ohm at typical home theater cable lengths.
http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=speakon+to+raw

There is an 8% off coupon at seismic audio right now using super8

They also have 12 gauge wire if you buy speakon to speakon cables. With those you could just buy a single longer cable. Cut it in half, and have the exact same thing.
For instance: buy a 50 foot speakon to speakon, cut it in half and then you have two 25' cables that are speakon to raw speaker cable.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=speakon+to+speakon

If you plan to bridge the iNuke DSP 1000 amps - then you'll need a four pole speakon connector - not a two pole.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #8 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW - it is impossible for you to mess this up, and no you won't fry anything.

RCA on AVR out to XLR on inuke in
Speakon on inuke out to speaker input

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #9 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have those exact same cable from Monoprice. The XLR to RCA. Do I connect that to the A or B input under the Behringer logo?
and for the OUTPUTS I can use a speakon to my terminals behind the speaker? Does it matter if its A of B for the outputs in bridged mode to the backs of my speaker terminals.

Why didn't the salesman just tell me this in the first place?

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #10 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I think what the sales rep was trying to get at is rca is used on consumer gear so it uses a lower voltage than pro gear. Most receivers should put out enough voltage through rca so try it out. Won't hurt anything.
post #11 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

It threw me off because there are TONS on the DIY section using Inukes. I would have to assume your powering speakers NOT just your subwoofers. Does it matter if I use INPUT A OR B and OUTPUT A OR B? Or just be consistent

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #12 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post

I have those exact same cable from Monoprice. The XLR to RCA. Do I connect that to the A or B input under the Behringer logo?
and for the OUTPUTS I can use a speakon to my terminals behind the speaker? Does it matter if its A of B for the outputs in bridged mode to the backs of my speaker terminals.

Why didn't the salesman just tell me this in the first place?

I need more information to answer your question.

Do you plan to run each iNuke bridged to your tempest? (1 speaker per amp (double power)) Or do you plan to run 1 side of the inuke to each speaker. (2 speakers per amp)

If bridged you wire to input A and output from output A. NOTE: you HAVE to use a four pole speakon connector on the inuke output for bridged mode.

Specifically you have to do two things to run it in bridged. 1) You have to change it to bridged mode in the inuke DSP, and 2) you have to rewire your four pole speakon which connects to output at to have the positive wire connected to post +1 and the negative wire connected to post +2. If you don't rewire the speakon you'll never actually be in bridged mode on the iNuke.

See attached picture highlights.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #13 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Bridged. 1 per speaker. Each Tempest is rated for 500watts. and bridged gives me 500watts @ 8 ohms bridged. So could I just use my male speakon connector and wire it with my 12G wire. Just use red for +1 and black for +2? and leave the negatives un wired? They are the tool less type. just twist and tighten.

Reason I ask is because I actually have 4 extra 4 pole speakon connector and lots of 12 g speaker wire.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #14 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bridged. 1 per speaker. Just use red for +1 and black for +2? and leave the negatives un wired?

exactly.

Don't forget to switch it in the software too to bidged mode and save it on the last tab so it retains the setting at the next power cycle.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #15 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I don't know if this helps, but a guy can buy two convertors that change the inuke to the old school post configuration. $60 bucks though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #16 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I don't know if this helps, but a guy can buy two convertors that change the inuke to the old school post configuration. $60 bucks though.

I could steve but that option actually costs more and your adding a piece of equipment between your amp, your receiver, and your speakers. I want the cleanest path possible. Im sure it works but that another $65 each for 3 speakrers. Speakon connectors and speaker wire are much cheaper.

I seen something at PE for $65 buck to convert xlr to rca. I believe it was 2 channel so I would still have to buy at least 2 mad.gif

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #17 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I expect you'll also be wanting some fan mods.

For what you are doing I will really recommend these fans. 80mm 28 CFM, 15dBa

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214016

I bought four of these for my two iNuke DSP 6000's and while I can't recommend them for subwoofer duty until I've tested them heavily (because I'm not sure they move enough air for heavy duty subwoofer use in the inukes) - I know they will work for mains duty, and they are completely silent. Your amps are going to be coasting along all the time and so under utilized I'd almost wager you don't even need a fans for your particular mainspeaker amplification purposes.

(I'm not advising you go without a fan - I'm just gambling it would be fine for your individual particular use case). I am advising you go with a silent fan, unless you amps are in a separate room - because the inuke stock fans are too loud (for most people) to be used in the same room.

These Enermax 80mm fans are direct drop in replacements for the stock fan and you don't have to modify anything or splice anything at all.

Here are some pictures of the enermax in my DSP 6000 units
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515340/inukes-on-sale/240#post_24378226

Post 257

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #18 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Archaea, I was about to return them. I was hoping the DSP option would be give me more flexibility than just using my Denon 4311ci standard setup features and Audyssey 32. Do you honestly think It will make the speakers sound better? they sound fine with my Denon which is 140 watt per channel but sometime I play my movies loud and didn't want to clip anything. I was hoping the extra watts would help and the DSP would give me better control vs. Denon standard crossover setup. Are there any setting I should play close attention to? like crossover points, etc. I have a spl meter and audyssey mic but that's it. Never used DSP to so im not sure what to pay closest attention too.
Thanks for your help. I was seriously about to return them after speaking with the salesman. I was like WTH, I told you what I was trying to do... lol

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #19 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I expect you'll also be wanting some fan mods.

For what you are doing I will really recommend these fans. 80mm 28 CFM, 15dBa

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214016

I bought four of these for my two iNuke DSP 6000's and while I can't recommend them for subwoofer duty until I've tested them heavily (because I'm not sure they move enough air for heavy duty subwoofer use in the inukes) - I know they will work for mains duty, and they are completely silent. Your amps are going to be coasting along all the time and so under utilized I'd almost wager you don't even need a fans for your particular mainspeaker amplification purposes.

(I'm not advising you go without a fan - I'm just gambling it would be fine for your individual particular use case). I am advising you go with a silent fan, unless you amps are in a separate room - because the inuke stock fans are too loud (for most people) to be used in the same room.

These Enermax 80mm fans are direct drop in replacements for the stock fan and you don't have to modify anything or splice anything at all.

Here are some pictures of the enermax in my DSP 6000 units
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515340/inukes-on-sale/240#post_24378226

Post 257

Well I need new pro and a good solution how to hook up to the BASSIS, so I'll hope the solution is in the works here.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #20 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could steve but that option actually costs more and your adding a piece of equipment between your amp, your receiver, and your speakers. I want the cleanest path possible. Im sure it works but that another $65 each for 3 speakrers. Speakon connectors and speaker wire are much cheaper.

I seen something at PE for $65 buck to convert xlr to rca. I believe it was 2 channel so I would still have to buy at least 2 mad.gif

Well I need new pro and a good solution how to hook up to the BASSIS, so I'll hope the solution is in the works here.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #21 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. They will be behind my mall in a separate area. MY HTPC fan is very loud. I can hear if when Im walking downstairs, it puts out a lot of cold air. It has about 14tb of data. and 2 large fans and 2 small fans but there pretty loud. I was thinking of a steel rack to put my items on. Either the Sanus EFA31 which is basically a wood shelf system for $269.99 or . or the steel rack. CFR 160 Either way the amps will not get warm. they will be In an open are.

CFR 160 for $279.99

EFA31 for $269.99

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #22 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Archaea, I was about to return them. I was hoping the DSP option would be give me more flexibility than just using my Denon 4311ci standard setup features and Audyssey 32. Do you honestly think It will make the speakers sound better? they sound fine with my Denon which is 140 watt per channel but sometime I play my movies loud and didn't want to clip anything. I was hoping the extra watts would help and the DSP would give me better control vs. Denon standard crossover setup. Are there any setting I should play close attention to? like crossover points, etc. I have a spl meter and audyssey mic but that's it. Never used DSP to so im not sure what to pay closest attention too.
Thanks for your help. I was seriously about to return them after speaking with the salesman. I was like WTH, I told you what I was trying to do... lol

Unless you learn REW or buy a tool like omnimic - the DSP won't do you much good --- except to adjust frequencies to taste. You might have some fun playing around with the Dynamic EQ functionality. It will allow you to boost frequencies at lower SPL levels, but back off the boost as you near reference type volumes. It's a pretty cool feature. Really though to do more good than harm you probably need a frequency response room analyzer suite. I LOVE my omnimic and am a hardcore recommender of that platform. REW is a bit more complicated to get up and running but is cheaper (software is free - a boon of the fellows over at hometheatershack).

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #23 of 34 Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I will check that out.. thanks again.. So glad I don't have to pay return shipping fee's ugh.. cool.gif

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #24 of 34 Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Very simple.

Rca to xlr cable for input.

Speakon to banana cable for output.

You can get each type on ebay. Rca end to receiver while xlr end to inuke input.

Speakon end from Inuke output while banana cable end to speaker.
post #25 of 34 Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

The salesman called explaining he was confused and said, yes . use the rca to xlr and the speakon to my terminal cables. Not sure how he didn't understand at first but no biggie.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #26 of 34 Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just bought an Inuke 3000 DSP amp to power my two subwoofers. I have a Denon 2113 reciever with one RCA out. I need to connect to the RCA to both XLR inputs on the amp. I'd like to buy/make a cable that connects the RCA to two XLR. I'm not positive on the wiring. Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #27 of 34 Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post
I just bought an Inuke 3000 DSP amp to power my two subwoofers. I have a Denon 2113 reciever with one RCA out. I need to connect to the RCA to both XLR inputs on the amp. I'd like to buy/make a cable that connects the RCA to two XLR. I'm not positive on the wiring. Does anyone have a wiring diagram?
Is the RCA a sub out?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
bombertodd likes this.
post #28 of 34 Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 210
Quote:
I just bought an Inuke 3000 DSP amp to power my two subwoofers. I have a Denon 2113 reciever with one RCA out. I need to connect to the RCA to both XLR inputs on the amp.
The internal processing of the iNuke DSP models enables you to only connect one cable from your AVR sub out to the amp and route this signal to both amp channels internal to the amp. The easiest way to see this is to download the Behringer iNuke Remote Connect software and run it. You can do this on a standalone basis without any amp hooked up to the computer. Run the software, then click the "Configuration" tab. On the left, click the "Bi-Amp 1" button. You'll see a block diagram showing input A connected internally to both channels of the amp.

Edit: Then you only need to use one of these adapter cables to make it work.

Edit 2: Here is a pic of the block diagram from the software.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inuke.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	132697  
bombertodd likes this.

Last edited by andyc56; 06-24-2014 at 04:41 AM.
post #29 of 34 Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks Manic1, I was hoping for an all inclusive design since I've had poor results with cheap adapters in the past. I guess I could shrink wrap it all together so it doesn't fall out.

Andy, the way the manual and the picture reads it implies there is a crossover. Is there a way to make ensure both channels are getting the same signal? Do you have an iNuke amp setup like this?

The manual is vague in my opinion. I do not have my subs built yet (working on them) so I cannot test this out yet.

Thanks

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #30 of 34 Old 06-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 210
Quote:
Andy, the way the manual and the picture reads it implies there is a crossover. Is there a way to make ensure both channels are getting the same signal? Do you have an iNuke amp setup like this?
Just go into the Filter/Crossover tab and set all high-pass and low-pass filters to "off". That will make the crossover into an internal "tee".
bombertodd likes this.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page